The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Visiting UK  (Read 4581 times)

Offline Lizzchen

Visiting UK
« on: October 16, 2014, 11:45:42 PM »
Greetings from Russia.
Got a question about visiting UK.
My friend, the UK citizen, wants me to visit him there. He never dealt with FSU visas system and I never had been in UK. I have an average (for Russia) income and not a huge bank account.
Please, any advices, how to manage this visa/invitation/paper things.
Thank you!

Offline sparky114

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Visiting UK
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 12:11:01 AM »
Hi
 Just one question, have you met your friend in person as in the real life yet? all this visa system is much easier to be successful in if you have met him before application!

It is also much easier for your friend to get a Russian visa to travel first to you, something that can be done in about 7-10 days no problem here

Any way the above said here is some information for you.

Well the making of the Visa is down to you,and also down to you to you to prove you can afford this travel and the time spent in the UK and you will return back to Russia after your trip, You will have to complete all the paperwork and find your local VAC office

As far as i am aware they are in Moscow, Novosibirsk, St. Petersburg, Rostov on Don, Yekaterinburg.

There is new company that deals with the applications in Russia replacing the old Global system their website is here http://www.ge2ru.tpcontact.co.uk/

It is all done online and then you will need to get your biometrics done at one of the above centres

You might also read this and see if you are eligible it will give you all the information you need and tell you the documents to give to them

please remember when you apply for a UK Visa you will have to get all your personal documents all Translated into English.

https://www.gov.uk/general-visit-visa

Mostly the advise is to go for a "general Visitor visa"

Hope that helps
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Lizzchen

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:18:28 AM »
Thank you very much for an answer, sparky 114. I never met my friend in real life, it supposed to be our first meeting.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 12:30:08 AM »
Thank you very much for an answer, sparky 114. I never met my friend in real life, it supposed to be our first meeting.

No problem  tiphat

Ok well you can always try and see if it will work but unless you have a good amount of money in the Bank some property papers and a reason to return back like a job letter saying you must come back or family like children then it becomes very difficult to get a UK Visa these days

Read the information i have sent you carefully, unfortunately if you are refused a Visa you will have stamp in your International passport to say you were refused a UK Visa.

It would make much better sense to get your friend to travel to you first, and then build your relationship from this point forward

Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Lizzchen

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 01:09:32 AM »
"you have a good amount of money in the Bank "
No
"job letter saying you must come back" 
No
"family like children" 
No

" if you are refused a Visa you will have stamp in your International passport to say you were refused a UK Visa" 
I guess it will made applications for next UK visas difficult, right? Last thing that I want to get as result  :chuckle2:

"It would make much better sense to get your friend to travel to you first, and then build your relationship from this point forward"
Yes, obviously  :chuckle2:

I suspect that it's not as easy as it seemed...

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 01:30:05 AM »
"you have a good amount of money in the Bank "
No
"job letter saying you must come back" 
No
"family like children" 
No

" if you are refused a Visa you will have stamp in your International passport to say you were refused a UK Visa" 
I guess it will made applications for next UK visas difficult, right? Last thing that I want to get as result  :chuckle2:

"It would make much better sense to get your friend to travel to you first, and then build your relationship from this point forward"
Yes, obviously  :chuckle2:

I suspect that it's not as easy as it seemed...

Lizzchen.......It is easy if you have all your ducks in a row and comply with what is required, but it seems you are far from being able to do that at this moment. I would turn this around and get your friend to visit you first and see how things go, its normal to do it that way round and should be the mans responsibility to take this route anyway. If things work out then you start planning his second visit to you and later down the line this will give you time to start getting your requirements in place which will allow you to make a successful visa application for the UK later in the relationship.

Слава Україні

Offline Lizzchen

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 01:33:59 AM »
Chris, sparky114, thank you very much!

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 03:42:51 AM »
Lizzchen,

I would like to offer a third alternative.  Why not meet in a third country which has no Visa problems for either of you?

Turkey is visa free for Russians and you can buy a cheap package tour (e.g. Tez Tours) which off season will be much cheaper than organizing your own travel.  Your UK boyfriend can join you easily.  A UK - Turkey flight costs about GBP 200 (try Monarch Airlines).

A first meeting on holiday is OK but make sure you have an exit plan if you don't get on.  If you are on a package deal you can tell the guy to leave and just enjoy a few days in the sun.  There will be lots of Russians around so you won't be lonely.

This plan avoids all the visa hassle. Also many guys might be reluctant to travel to central Russia but have no problems with a holiday resort.

Offline Ade

• Spouses Country: Russia/UK-Norway
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 03:52:41 AM »
I would also say that he should visit you. A 4th alternative, assuming you're not in one of the big 2 already, is to meet him in Moscow or SpB. He can travel directly to either so avoids overly complicated travel arrangements - and travelling in RU for someone that's not been there before can be tricky.

And yes, UK visa for Russians is a major pain - even those married to Brits but living outside the country require fingerprinting and silly paperwork. It's one of the reasons we've only been back to the UK once since we were married 5 - or is that 6? - years ago. 

Offline Lizzchen

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 04:36:07 AM »
leslied, yes, it is also idea we discussed and seems should discuss again. Turkey, or, better Cyprus can be good idea...
Thank you!

Ade, this is good idea too )
Thank you!

Offline MrMann

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 04:41:54 AM »
My girlfriend visited me the first time we met, although she didn't actually say in her application that she was coming to see me but was just being a tourist. She didn't have any property although she had a pretty good job. That was a few years ago though and I believe things are a bit more difficult now.

I'd second Ade's suggestion - assuming your friend hasn't been to Russia before it could be quite an adventure for him.

Offline Lizzchen

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 04:57:04 AM »
 MrMann, this is interesting! So, if I would have confirmation of booking  from hotel, some property and approx. 1000 £ on account it is possible to get tourist visa?

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 05:03:58 AM »
leslied, yes, it is also idea we discussed and seems should discuss again. Turkey, or, better Cyprus can be good idea...
Thank you!

Ade, this is good idea too )
Thank you!

If you visit Greek Cyprus you must have a visa.  See -

http://www.cyprusvisa.eu/cyprus-short-stay-visa-requirements.html

Much easier to obtain than a visa to UK.  It is still probably best for you to book a package holiday to Cyprus and let the tour operator handle the visa  :thumbsup:

You can only travel to Turkish Cyprus via Turkey.  It is a very sleepy place.  A bit like stepping into a time machine and going back 20 -30 years.

Offline MrMann

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 05:09:55 AM »
MrMann, this is interesting! So, if I would have confirmation of booking  from hotel, some property and approx. 1000 £ on account it is possible to get tourist visa?

In theory, I would have thought so. Although I don't have any recent experience of applying for a tourist visa other than for my girlfriend's family members which may be considered slightly differently.

My girlfriend's mum visited a couple of months ago and I think she had £1000 in her account for a 3 week trip, although she owns property and was visiting her daughter so it's different to your situation. I also provided a letter stating that I would be financially responsible for her during her stay and sent copies of my bank statements for 6 months when she applied.

For my girlfriend's second visit (a few years ago now) she said on her application that she was visiting me and I wrote an invitation letter and provided my financial information to the British Embassy. That would be an option for your friend if he was happy to do that, but I don't know if that would be considered in the same way as a few years ago.

In case you didn't know, you can find a hotel that allows free cancellations with a site like Booking.com so that you don't need to pay anything before you get your visa.

There is a section in the Guidance Notes that sparky linked to about invitations:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/343241/2014_08_Visitor_Documents.pdf

Quote from: UK Visas & Immigration
Supporting letter(s) from your friend or sponsor in the UK

If you are visiting a friend you may wish to include a letter of invitation from them as well as their financial documents, as outlined in the finances and employment section above.

You should also consider supplying evidence of their immigration status in the UK, this could be copies of:

 bio-data pages from their passports
valid visa or immigration stamp from their passport Home Office letter confirming permission to stay in the UK

Offline Lizzchen

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 05:16:40 AM »
MrMann, thank you for info, very useful!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 05:39:59 AM »

The ECO will primarily be looking for reasons to return, ie property, job, kids etc...
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Lizzchen

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 05:50:00 AM »
If property is considered as reason to return then I have the reason, hope it could be enough...

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 06:59:27 AM »

You can only travel to Turkish Cyprus via Turkey.  It is a very sleepy place.  A bit like stepping into a time machine and going back 20 -30 years.

At least 20 - 30 years, I have been there twice this year/last year, but Cyprus in general mainly the Greek side, is an amazing place to holiday.
Слава Україні

Offline Lizzchen

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 03:41:51 PM »
Well, surprisingly British visa is the one easy to get. I got information about necessary documents on the Government official site, collected them, thanslated them by myself, brought to the visa center and - voila, in one week I got my first British visa for 6 months stay.
So, I enjoying third month in Blackpool  :loving:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 03:56:27 PM »
Well, surprisingly British visa is the one easy to get. I got information about necessary documents on the Government official site, collected them, thanslated them by myself, brought to the visa center and - voila, in one week I got my first British visa for 6 months stay.
So, I enjoying third month in Blackpool  :loving:

:chuckle:

Well done Lizzchen - I would have advised you - exactly the same as all the other posters

You aren't far from Chris

Please can you post a trip report as it is interesting to hear the thoughts of a lady coming to the UK or a western nation.

If you have been here three months on a six months visa - I expect you should be thinking of leaving - unless you have other plans  :chuckle:
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Lizzchen

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 04:02:31 PM »

If you have been here three months on a six months visa - I expect you should be thinking of leaving - unless you have other plans  :chuckle:

This is an interesting point. Should I leave after 3 months or I can stay for full 6?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 04:09:45 PM »
Dogsoldier can answer as this is his field  :chuckle:

edit.. sorry Lizzchen  - what is the type of visa you have .. Visitor  - unlimited entry  - six months validity ?

Offline Lizzchen

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 04:17:54 PM »
General visitor, multi, 180 days duration of stay.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 04:23:52 PM »
General visitor, multi, 180 days duration of stay.

it's now called a 'standard visitor visa ' and I am sorry for 'scaring you'

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/423477/20150424_mmigration_rules_app_v_final_v2.pdf

It seems you can stay the full 180 days  - but if you want to come back, soon - you're going to have to think about the reasoning ...  or a [ very ] good reason to extend... 

If you wish to come back - start your plan to achieve this, now. 

Offline Lizzchen

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
Thank you for the link and info, msmoby )))
Not sure I understand this 'extending things' ))) I going to stay as long as visa allowed, and after we will see if I want to come back and what kind of visa applying for  :)