The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Vladivostok - Владивосток  (Read 22022 times)

Offline siberia

Re: Vladivostok - Владивосток
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 09:55:38 PM »
Thank you Mendy for the wonderful photos. Vladik is one of my fav cities and where my first Russian friends came from (well the Far East in general).  The comparison you made of Pittsburgh and Vladivostok might be a valid one but the fact is, most of their citizens equate it with San Francisco  :reading:

You missed an opportunity for one important part of the city, the Fisheries Institute and the sailing ship Pallada. One of your photos might have had her in the distance but I could not tell for sure. She was a wonderful ambassador for the city and Russia prior to the Wall coming down. She was here for the Seattle Goodwill Games in 1990 and returned for the next year also.  Her sailors are students at the Fisheries Institute and met many Americans during her sailings.

Once again, thank you for your very informative postings.

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
Siberia, thanks and you are right in that Vladivostok residents think of San Francisco as a city of similar qualities. One could even say that San Diego with its hills could also be a potential sister city. San Francisco is much cleaner and as you know, California building and zoning codes are among the most stringent anywhere whereas Vladivostok seems not to worry too much about such things.  :)

Vladivostok shares the latitude with Sapporo, Sukhumi, Almaty, Florence, Marseille, A Coruña, Boston, and Toronto.

It was at Vladivostok that Leonid Brezhnev and Gerald Ford conducted the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks in 1974. At the time, the two countries set quantitative limits on various nuclear weapons systems and banned the construction of new land-based ICBM launchers.

Have you been to the Fisheries Institute? I've not had that privilege yet but would like to someday. It is one of 6 State Universities in Vladivostok. There is also the Marine State University.

I also forgot to mention the current population--over 500,000 as of 2002.  

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 12:41:18 AM »
Apparently Pallada was entered into a competition in California and held its title as the world's fastest sailing ship. Here is a photo of the Russian Pallada which sailed from Vladivostok to San Francisco in July 2005.

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 11:52:47 AM »

Pittsburgh ??   >:(

It is no longer considered "Hell with the lid removed".  Gone are the days of smoke belching steel mills. We like to consider it more of a 'high tech' and medical area now.

just sayin' ....

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 02:13:57 PM »
Sorry, Jared. Next time we'll put more emphasis on Detroit.  :chuckle:

You may feel free to beat me to a pulp in the meantime.  :LIMP:

Happy new year!

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 09:18:18 AM »

Mendy - no harm, no foul.

Somebody else will be upset that Detroit was mentioned....lol

Pittsburgh DID have the reputation that you referenced.  It has since cleaned up its
surroundings and image.

A blessed and happy new year to you also.   tiphat

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 09:50:18 AM »
Jared, happy new year and many blessing to you this year.

Offline ldelo

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »
Mendy, thanks! Given that Vladivostok is only a stones-throw away (just skip a rock across the Pacific...), I've long been fascinated by the city.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 08:40:53 PM »
One word . . .

Cold.

Offline ldelo

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 08:49:05 PM »
Wayne, all of Russia is cold no?? ;D

Offline el_guero

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 10:09:54 PM »
Yep . . . just like the northern 48 . . .

;)

Wayne, all of Russia is cold no?? ;D

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 02:49:18 AM »

Mendy.... really glad you found the time to post all of this info, great stuff.

Funny enough, last week at my hotel I had a guest from Russia staying with us and he was from Vladivostok... thanks to your info I wound up having a great convo with him.

I'm trying to convince my lady of interest to take a trip there with me.... oddly enough I feel like I'm trying to convince an American on getting excited to visit Cleveland, while taking a seriously slow and long Amtrack ride.... not going to be an easy argument to win :)

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 08:27:25 PM »
I can't imagine that it would be exciting for her unless she has ties to the area with relatives, close friends, etc.

One caution: most of these ladies believe that their city and region is very important and historic and in most cases they're right. Until you know her it could be an irritation to wish to travel somewhere else when she is anxious to use your limited time showing you her city and introducing you to her friends, etc. If you've got history together that is one thing, but otherwise you might wish to allow her to play hostess in her own way at first.

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 09:34:18 PM »
I can't imagine that it would be exciting for her unless she has ties to the area with relatives, close friends, etc.

One caution: most of these ladies believe that their city and region is very important and historic and in most cases they're right. Until you know her it could be an irritation to wish to travel somewhere else when she is anxious to use your limited time showing you her city and introducing you to her friends, etc. If you've got history together that is one thing, but otherwise you might wish to allow her to play hostess in her own way at first.

I understand.... I'm making plans for another trip to go out and see Japan in September. I'll be up in Sapporo which is a short jump to Vlad. so I thought I'd meet up with her in the world famous city on the sea.... the Monaco of the Pacific

Offline el_guero

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 10:16:06 PM »

I understand.... I'm making plans for another trip to go out and see Japan in September. I'll be up in Sapporo which is a short jump to Vlad. so I thought I'd meet up with her in the world famous city on the sea.... the Monaco of the Pacific

ANR,

Didn't you say she was from Moscow?  That is a 7 day train ride each way.  Not expensive, but MOST women would rather spend time with their men . . . not on a train.

IMHO.