The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Google Is Your Best Friend  (Read 57923 times)

Offline ScottJaySplendid

Google Is Your Best Friend
« on: April 17, 2007, 06:01:34 PM »
Whenever you think you might be getting scammed - you probably are. But even before you get that feeling on the back of your neck or in the pit of your stomach, remember that Google is your best friend.

Almost every letter of drivel has been written over and over by Fat Yuri. He sends them out by the thousands. And many a gullible man of those thousands has responded by opening his wallet. Lucky for you, many of those defrauded men have been willing to share their experiences.

You can use Google. Names and addresses and even phone numbers should be shoved into the Google search engine. But names can change and addresses and phone numbers can be off by a digit or two. E-mail addresses are also fungible these days.

But phrases in the letters, which appear to have been written by an illiterate or a machine translator, they are your most important resource. Place quotation marks around 7 to 15 words in the letter that seem unique and enter them in the might Google search engine. If you find a letter with those words, then you know you are being scammed.

Should you play along? It is probably better not to waste your time or educate the "brains" behind the fraud. You should simply delete and block the writer and move on. You should never start to rationalize why Elena or Lana's letter showed up somewhere else. First, it was not Elena or Lana, it was a man in an Internet boiler room. Second, if the letter has shown up on the Internet, that was only the small tip of a very large iceberg.

The odds of success in finding a FSU bride are dismally low. But you can decrease the odds of getting scammed by being careful and using Google.

I would also like to ask the members here to add other resources for men who are just initiating writing relationships with FSUW.

I know the MOB agencies encourage cheerleading, just as they encourage the myths of Russian men and women for the American audience but I would hope the members here will not buy into the MOB pap.

So, in addition to Google, what else is the best friend of these new guys?
While we have a few lottery winners here, if you're thinking about importing one of the pit vipers I have one word of advice -- don't.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Google Is Your Best Friend
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 03:32:48 AM »
Good advice SJS....but also remember that some agencies used canned letters, therefore these can also show up on Google, Yahoo etc and are not always used by scammers.

Just be careful and check things out as much as possible, don't automatically think it is a scam, sure a lot of the time it is and will be, but not always.

One thing I always advise people to do is get a phone number as quickly as possible and call the lady, not once but a number of times,  most scammers will not give out a phone number, that one piece of advice alone can save many wasted hours and grief.

Talking on the phone to a lady can usually answer a lot of questions you may have and it also gives you an indication of what she is really like as a person. Of course a meeting in person at some stage is the real decider, but when I was writing to women via agencies, one thing I did was get a phone number as soon as I thought there was something worth pursuing. Every legitimate lady I communicated with was happy to provide that for me.

Chris
Слава Україні

Offline Qi Peng

• Byebye Kitty!
    • Official art website of qi peng
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 10:59:38 AM »
Also note that greencard girls never use canned letters for their responses. They will play along the game until you marry them. Then beware the infamous restraining order.

This is perhaps the most deceptive method and honestly the worst type of scam that can impact your life.

Use some sense and don't love too quickly. I would suggest purchasing a lie detector if necessary with some huge electrode leads if needed.
Justice? - You get justice in the next world, in this world you have the law. -William Gaddis

Offline IresQ U

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 06:53:18 PM »
Good post SJS.

I saved a few of the letters from some of the first scammers who wrote me.  And yep the googled lines came right up!  I found out they were scammers first because they never answered ANY of my direct questions.  Also the photos seemed a little too professional.  I saw a blacklist site on the internet and found the pics.  The names were different.  I think there may be a fair number of men who get inducted to FSUW search because of initial contact from a scammer on some dating sites.  Hopefully they will do some internet searches and end up here or a blacklist site.

Offline Chris

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 03:19:10 AM »
I think there may be a fair number of men who get inducted to FSUW search because of initial contact from a scammer on some dating sites. 

YOu are right Ires....in fact I know a lot of guys who got into the search for a FSUW exactly that way and for that reason, once they had been tempted, they couldn't go back!  ;D
Слава Україні

Offline Shadow

• Ochag - Family fireplace
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 03:02:54 AM »
Also note that greencard girls never use canned letters for their responses. They will play along the game until you marry them. Then beware the infamous restraining order.

This is perhaps the most deceptive method and honestly the worst type of scam that can impact your life.

Use some sense and don't love too quickly. I would suggest purchasing a lie detector if necessary with some huge electrode leads if needed.
Think about those women who scam you by marrying you and staying with you. You pay for them all of your life  ;D
2 know more than 1 but 100 know less

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 03:12:50 AM »
Think about those women who scam you by marrying you and staying with you. You pay for them all of your life  ;D

Is it really a scam, if they also make you feel good most of the time  ::)
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline ScottJaySplendid

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 07:59:22 PM »

Is it really a scam, if they also make you feel good most of the time  ::)

This is the question men having been trying to answer for hundreds of years.
While we have a few lottery winners here, if you're thinking about importing one of the pit vipers I have one word of advice -- don't.

Offline Evilferret

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Google really is your best friend. I was talking to a hot Olga at first she seemed to be nice but after a few letters I began to get those feeling in the back of my neck and the pit of my stomach that something wasn't right, And i googled her profle and found her on 4 other sites! When I asked her about it stoed writing to me LOL good bye Yurri ;D

Offline ScottJaySplendid

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 06:25:12 PM »
Google really is your best friend. I was talking to a hot Olga at first she seemed to be nice but after a few letters I began to get those feeling in the back of my neck and the pit of my stomach that something wasn't right, And i googled her profle and found her on 4 other sites! When I asked her about it stoed writing to me LOL good bye Yurri ;D

Do you want to post some of his gems (his best letters) and maybe some photos so we can laugh at them with you?

Offline Qi Peng

• Byebye Kitty!
    • Official art website of qi peng
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 12:00:01 PM »
Yes, let's see some funny examples then.
Justice? - You get justice in the next world, in this world you have the law. -William Gaddis

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 12:07:53 PM »
What if you suspect a Scam, but none of the usual methods gives you any reply.

Not google, not scammer-sites and nothing else. The only thing I have is common sense screaming out "SCAMMER" except that I can find nothing wrong with her but sending me a standard letter.

I will not talk openly bout it on the internet though, if this girl is sincere, I would not want to hurt her feelings nor make her chances smaller by doing it.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Chris

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 01:10:36 PM »

Not google, not scammer-sites and nothing else. The only thing I have is common sense screaming out "SCAMMER" except that I can find nothing wrong with her but sending me a standard letter.

I will not talk openly bout it on the internet though, if this girl is sincere, I would not want to hurt her feelings nor make her chances smaller by doing it.

So what is so obvious it screems out to you this is a Scam! ??
Слава Україні

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 02:37:47 PM »

So what is so obvious it screems out to you this is a Scam! ??

Multiple things. But as I didn't find anything 100% sure, I guess I will email a while back/forth and see where it goes. At least if the money-letter comes, I will not be surprised ;-)
OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 08:38:08 AM »
My suspicion is more and more up, since the few letters I exchanged with her. Nothing too suspicious yet though,except that she doesn't answer any of my questions nor that she mentioned anything that ment she read my letters. It seems like a one-way communication and all I have to do is click "reply" to get the next one.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Chris

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 09:55:23 AM »
My suspicion is more and more up, since the few letters I exchanged with her. Nothing too suspicious yet though,except that she doesn't answer any of my questions nor that she mentioned anything that ment she read my letters. It seems like a one-way communication and all I have to do is click "reply" to get the next one.

May be best to just send her some questions, or mention something really silly in an email and see if she responds to that, if she ignores it, she may well just be sending out hundreds of emails and you are one of them. Most scammers don't have time to read every little detail and reply individually.
Слава Україні

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 11:48:56 AM »

May be best to just send her some questions, or mention something really silly in an email and see if she responds to that, if she ignores it, she may well just be sending out hundreds of emails and you are one of them. Most scammers don't have time to read every little detail and reply individually.

My last email to her was just one question.

She totally ignored it and sent me a long (albeit nice to read) letter back. But I have to re-adjust my opinion, because I think she is just young and naive and does not know how to charm my feelings  :o
OO===[][]===OO

Offline ScottJaySplendid

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 09:02:36 PM »

One of the hallmarks of scammer correspondence is that the scammer is having a conversation with himself.  "My day," "my friends," "my job," "the weather," and on and on.  You are a supernumerary.

So, you need to take a hard look at your correspondence with "her" and try to figure it out.

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 10:17:14 AM »
The anonymous nature of Internet correspondence is the root of many problems. Irrespective of whether one is in contact with a sincere girl or with a scammer, the sooner that one shifts to telephone conversations, the better. It is human nature that a person who is hopeful of a relationship will want to hear your voice. On the other hand, the last thing that a scammer wants to do is to spend hours on the telephone having sappy conversations with a lovestruck fool.

Nonetheless, Google is still a valuable resource and ought to be used as a matter of due diligence.

Offline TomT

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 10:22:41 AM »
markje,

You should be aware that it is not uncommon for RW to ignore a question which they either do not like or do not know how to answer. This delightful trait has the effect of producing a false positive when using failure to answer as a basis for establishing sincerity.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 10:25:17 AM »
Well, she has invited me to visit her in her hometown (kiev ukraine).

So far, I am not tempted to reply positivly though, as she seems to be writing AT me instead of talking WITH me.

Perhaps I should mention that purple crocodile and if she's seen it too  ;D
OO===[][]===OO

Offline TomT

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 03:34:27 PM »
If you don't call her on the telephone, nothing that we can write will help you.

Offline ScottJaySplendid

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 09:14:29 PM »
If you don't call her on the telephone, nothing that we can write will help you.
I wish I could make all of TomT's posts "stickies."  You can take this one to the bank, as well as the several previous posts.

TomT is one of our truth speakers here.

Offline Corp

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2007, 12:10:04 PM »
Well, she has invited me to visit her in her hometown (kiev ukraine).

So far, I am not tempted to reply positivly though, as she seems to be writing AT me instead of talking WITH me.

Perhaps I should mention that purple crocodile and if she's seen it too  ;D
-------
MarkJe, this is the classic sign of a scammer, some may disagree but when you write a woman  a one paragraph letter containing one easy question and she replys back with another big letter with no answer.... She is sending that same letter to many guys, not just you. Keep writing and the money question will come.

Toms advice is as good as it gets, call her even if you don't speak russian you can fumble through a few sentances and it will give you more clarity.

"Ah Courtship, It Really is Theater..."

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2007, 06:13:35 PM »
Quote from: ScottJaySplendid
I wish I could make all of TomT's posts "stickies."  You can take this one to the bank, as well as the several previous posts.

Newbies would be well advised toread TomT's musings here and elsewhere. He has an excellent insight into this endeavour and is experienced beyond the experience of even many of us married guys as to the antics of Yuri and his cohorts.

One of Scott's other tips I have read and used is to drop the .com (or whatever) off the e-mail address when googling.

For example, smokinhotsveta@yandex.ru you would google as "smokinhotsveta@yandex" - I dont know why but it seems to bring up more hits.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.