The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: I'm Pretty Sure I Was Scammed For a Good Time!  (Read 28785 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: I'm Pretty Sure I Was Scammed For a Good Time!
« Reply #360 on: October 29, 2009, 04:59:08 AM »
Yet again, a thread has turned into a cautionary tale about the character issues of men who search for a foreign bride. I hope that the women who read these topics understand that the men who start them are atypical.

Atypical of men in general perhaps but far less unusual for men chasing foreign women through marriage agencies.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #361 on: November 14, 2009, 09:47:15 PM »
Past clients? Plural? We have evidence of one on video but we still don't know the outcome of that do we? Oh, sorry, we have a few of your alias posts around the net claiming to be clients.

I don't disagree with some of what you say, but I can assure you, I'm a former client of Eds, for 5-6 weeks.  Nope, we didn't go to Russia, I pursued my own paths as well. 

Ed needs to work on his people versus sales/'all knowing' skills a bit, because indeed, nothing is 'absolute,' and he comes across that way often enough, and sadly, he doesn't see it, or chooses to ignore it, but...  That doesn't mean he doesn't provide a valuable service, which may be of more or less value depending on the people involved - for someone that's looking for a typical 'hot trophy wife,' and has some delusions that any of this is easy...I have no doubt he literally can save their hides, as well as give them quite an education. 

Certainly, I also 'found' several women via Ed that showed promise, as well, that are likely I would not have been introduced to otherwise.  If you happen to dislike his personality, or the 'near absolutes' he tends to come across with, that's one thing, and that's certainly worth discussion for whomever feels the urge. 

Would he provide value to you?  Nope, you're married! :)  Others?  Dunno.  They should do their homework, look at themselves, and decide for themselves.  I think he can provide value to nearly anyone in the search, but it's up to the individual to decide how much.

Did I get the impression Ed would 'pick me a wife'?  Nope.  If I did, I'd be running.  Did I get some responses from women I immediately had little interest in?  Sure, but I don't disagree about it being a numbers game, to a *point*.  I'd prefer quality over quantity, and I tend to look for some specific things about a person, that isn't always immediately obvious in a picture or a profile.

Ed never gave the impression that he would 'decide when it's time to visit,' however, or anything else.  Indeed, one person and I went off the site and direct to email, at which point it was my choice to translate myself, or have Ed to do it..I chose to have Ed do it.  Personally, I started to lean more and more towards someone that at least spoke some level of English, but it's all mixed - some can read/write somewhat, some can't, that's something that's an individual choice, and at the time, I was more open to someone that might not speak English, but..not Ed's fault. 

The girl I chose to meet..we had long emails and phone conversations in English, sometimes with the help of a dictionary, but it wasn't until we met and I saw how long it took her to translate an email I had sent her just before we met, that it became obvious just how difficult at least *some* parts of communication can be.  We did very well, but it had it's moments, and we had patience, as well as a notebook and paper that we used often.  With some patience, we didn't have many misunderstandings, but it's certainly a possibility.  For me at least, I like to *talk* to someone, and even before things between us had started to become a serious potential to meet, I had already decided on my own preference for at least a passable level of English.  Others might not agree, it's their call.  I have no doubt that a girl could learn English, but I'd certainly make sure it was at least at a level of 3 (scale of 1-5) before you're asking any serious sorts of questions, or your Russian is equivalent..or if you're *really* daring, ok, use an interpreter to ask them for you. 

His statement about 3-4 months.  You've seen the video.  Obviously, not all people are compatible.  Do I believe if I had exclusively used Eds services, I would have 'the one' in that time?  It's difficult to say.  Do I believe that I would be flying to meet one or more?  It's likely.  From there, who knows, people are people.  I try to dismiss a lot of 'noise' from conversation early on, to find out who a person really *is*, but some women are slower to open, some quicker.  Yet, anything can happen.  I don't agree that in 3-4 months you necessarily will have found 'the one,' but it's possibly it's the start of something, and I wouldn't worry terribly much about a scammer in that scenario.

The rest of what you said, or at least some of it..yep, I've wondered about the whole 'interpreter at your side' thing.  It would not have worked well in my visit.  I'm undecided on it, to be honest, and this is nothing I haven't told Ed on the phone.  If you're communicating with girls/women with very little or no English, I'd say it could be a lifesaver, especially if you have any intentions of asking any serious questions within the span of only a few visits.  Your other option - learn Russian *well*, or get her to learn English well, and then it's still likely you'll have misunderstandings, and it will take *time*.  If I went down that path, I'd rather have Ed with me than some random interpreter, certainly, as he at least is a 'second opinion' that knows the girl somewhat via communications between you.  I'd also make sure you manage to get some time without Ed around as well, which isn't something he discourages. 

Will having an interpreter (*any* interpreter) along on a 'date' change the dynamics?  Certainly.  I haven't done it, but it's human nature - ask an intimate question of someone at a candlelit dinner sometime, then ask the same question of someone in the middle of a room full of people, or in front of even a close friend of theirs..there will be a difference in comfort, and possibly in the response.  Could it be 'bad'?  I'm sure it can, but I'd hope Ed remains as inconspicuous as possible during these sessions, and the women would know in advance that you will have an interpreter with you.  Personally, I'm unsure the idea is for me, but..I'd choose Ed over a random interpreter if I were going to go down that path. 

Having said all that, if you're willing to go down the path of trying to establish a *relationship* with someone that speaks no common language between you, that's your call.  I hope you're *both* bright enough to recognize where miscommunications and misunderstandings (cultural or language) occur, that you both work to get a common language as soon as possible, and until then, weigh the odds of an interpreter or not, and at least don't propose until you've got some time with a common language. 

The short answer - would I use Eds services again?  Quite possibly.
If I pursue someone else, would I choose to pursue someone with *zero* English - probably not, but possibly.
Would I take Ed to Russia with me?  I have no idea, honestly.
Heck, I/O - I might just wind up PMing you about your 20-30 English speaking 'friends.' :)

RG, we did go exactly for 5 weeks. I really would have liked you to go through the whole program so that rather than guessing, you would know for sure and could give your review here. Right this moment we probably would have been in Russia meeting the ladies and a couple of weeks from now you'd be planning the second trip to spend Christmas and New year's with a very special one. I am confident that this would be the case had you stuck with the program, but we'll never know now will we?
As far as me "getting in the way" when in Russia or Ukraine why not ask the 2 people on this forum that actually did go with me - Divad and Catman?

Offline looking

« Reply #362 on: March 02, 2010, 10:44:16 PM »
 Could someone summarize this soap opera in 20 words or less? I could only make it to page 16.  Hey tainted, do this: Go to a massage parlor, you know the ones with the foreign girls, pay them $100 USD, go into the back, strip down (underwear too), tell them you want a "happy ending" and relax. It will be the best rebound from depression that money can buy and it will not hurt anyone. Those women will be very nice to you. They believe in protection, so do not fret about things anymore. It will most likely change your outlook on life. 3 years ago, I was under so much pressure working 16 hours a day, that my boss took me to one of those places for my birthday. It mellowed me out alot. I was married only to my job at the time. Do this and PM me in the morning.
  :nod: :nod: :nod:
All I want is just one woman. She doesn't have to love me, or work, or do housework, just be my friend, or act like it. I do not need a whore at night either. Just a woman that is intelligent and wants to be treated like royality. Hey I guess I would make someone a good wife, huh? I even change lightbulbs and clean the ceiling fans without a ladder. I am not looking for a 10 either, but in my eyes she is waaay past a 10-who cares what others think.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #363 on: March 02, 2010, 11:00:19 PM »
somehow this last post reminds me of that old commercial on TV - "How do you spell relief?"  :laugh:

Online msmoby

« Reply #364 on: March 02, 2010, 11:48:55 PM »
Go to a massage parlor, you know the ones with the foreign girls, pay them $100 USD, go into the back, strip down (underwear too), tell them you want a "happy ending" and relax. It will be the best rebound from depression that money can buy and it will not hurt anyone.

:'(  

Russia doesn't have form for making stuff like this up.
He really did say that
Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Boris

« Reply #365 on: March 03, 2010, 05:15:16 AM »
somehow this last post reminds me of that old commercial on TV - "How do you spell relief?"  :laugh:

:offtopic:
Ed, your Avatar is great. You look a little disheveled from chasing your daughters. Just wait until they are teenagers and are dating! I think you may go bald. I thank God everyday that I have four sons.

Seriously, you have the tired look of a happy father.  :)

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #366 on: March 03, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »

:offtopic:

Seriously, you have the tired look of a happy father.  :)
that's probably because I am tired from doing so much, and I am a happy father  :biggrin:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #367 on: May 29, 2010, 06:17:51 AM »
With the background of my experience(s) I reread this entire post last night – while trying to figure out a separate problem. There is allot of drivel here with some wisdom between. Some thoughts.

“h) Only if you look at the little, dirty pond with a huge sign that says "MOB" on it. Very easy to find since it pops up everywhere on google searches! Walk just a few steps up the trail and you will see clean,  clear open water, the ocean in fact, no algae and pearls all over the place...just think outside the MOB agencies box...
quote from Eduard.

Ed what does MOB mean = In my lexicon it means Man over Board

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“… a 19 year old girl. I would also suggest that a young girl who is genuinely interested, in the long term and/or consistently, in relationships with much older men probably has issues of her own that cause her to seek out these relationships and I do not think that is always healthy for the man in the partnership.” Quote from Andrew.

Well that is seriously the truth. Having said that I have spoken with some young women who wanted a short term relationship.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“You should shift your focus to the mistakes that you made so that you don't revisit them in the future.” Qoute from TomT. Almost spoken like a CT Yankee.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“Ed, your Avatar is great. You look a little disheveled from chasing your daughters. Just wait until they are teenagers and are dating! I think you may go bald. I thank God everyday that I have four sons.” Quote from Boris.

Boris been there and done that – girls without question are an easier deal when they are teeners. Well at least if they are brought up intelligently. Though they tend to be more pricey.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So my thoughts and feelings; Tainted, is emotionally infantile. Before he attempts another relationship he should find a therapist. It is obvious that he could read some points made

“The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.”
Quote from Alvin Toffler
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #368 on: May 29, 2010, 01:19:30 PM »

So my thoughts and feelings; Tainted, is emotionally infantile. Before he attempts another relationship he should find a therapist. It is obvious that he could read some points made

I have to give credit where credit is due: he made a splendid choice of nicknames. It's a a pity that he didn't hang around; he might have been able to learn a thing or two.
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Registration