The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: I'm Pretty Sure I Was Scammed For a Good Time!  (Read 50203 times)

Offline Link

Re: I'm Pretty Sure I Was Scammed For a Good Time!
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 07:45:34 PM »
Ok..so what im hearing is that she did this to make a few hundred bucks?

that doesnt even sound right. :'(

It's actually amazing how low some women can be for a few hundred bucks, before jumping into the FSU pool again I would recommend to educate yourself as much as you can (read the forums, books, and first hand experience from other posters). Although you no longer need a visa to enter Ukraine, remember the same applies to other western men from other countries, so the "mail order bride" industry there has a strong presence, as the place must filled with Yanks, Canucks, western Europeans, and other delicateses (wealthy guys from emerging economies,... ie.. Mexicans, Brazilians, South Africans.. etc, etc) chasing and spoiling local girls. I am not saying is impossible to find an honest and decent girl in Ukraine, there are still good women, (some posters here are married to sincere, honest good women from Ukraine), but it is definitive to be more difficult for the reasons mentioned above, specially for a rookie.

Offline Link

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 07:47:03 PM »

Your age is relevant because if you were say 24 then I would be more sympathetic to your current confused plight. ‘Date’ some 20 year old models (or average looking waitresses) back home and you will be equally confused … it’s what kids do, they are good at it.

Play, fire, burnt etc.

LOL, my age  :)

Offline tainted

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 07:48:43 PM »
I ask because I fail to see any other reason why you would want to date her.

As I wrote before, you need to do some reading. I’d ignore the age gape warnings as IMO 19 years is no big deal …. provided she is at least 25/26.

Your age is relevant because if you were say 24 then I would be more sympathetic to your current confused plight. ‘Date’ some 20 year old models (or average looking waitresses) back home and you will be equally confused … it’s what kids do, they are good at it.

Play, fire, burnt etc.

Ok..so your saying that if she isnt giving me any sex then she isnt worth dating?
and if i was say....a 66 year old man then you wouldnt care at all?

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 07:56:11 PM »
Not sure why that matters...but i am 39
here is her and i.

An off topic question, do you guys (Anglo- Saxon and FSU gals) consider this girl to be "white" based on her photos?

My guess is the answer is "no" but I prefer to ask.

what does that have to do with ANYTHING?

Nothing, that's why I wrote it was an off topic question, just I needed an outsider point of view after watching some videos about hate crimes in Russia related to racism. And the girl has the perfect physical characteristics to confirm what I suspect.
not sure what you are referring to, Link? What do you suspect?

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 08:01:55 PM »
Ok..so what im hearing is that she did this to make a few hundred bucks?

that doesnt even sound right. :'(

In my experience of dating models (it’s not vast but everyone gets lucky sometimes) then most of them are poorly paid with just a few at the top earning the big bucks. I would have thought that the competition in Ukraine is very intense with only the really striking ones making a decent living from it.

Ok..so your saying that if she isnt giving me any sex then she isnt worth dating?
and if i was say....a 66 year old man then you wouldnt care at all?

I can only give you my perspective. If I was dating a 20 year model then the relationship wouldn’t last long if we didn’t end up in bed together. The reason I say that is because I would be viewing the relationship nothing more than a bit of fun (just like she would be) and, rightly or wrongly, there’s only so much fun I can have wining, dining and sightseeing.

You’ve lost me on the 66 year old comment. Was her Granddad there too? :)

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 08:02:42 PM »

I'd say if she made $300 off the time spent with you it pretty much gave her a extra months salary.  If she was interested she would have made it known, cultural differences or not.
I'd say if you really wanted to know where you stand with her, you could get Ed to phone her and talk on your behalf. However since you don't have her mobile number... she does have a cell phone right ?  If she wanted to stay in touch she would of given you that number.
 You must of spent a small fortune on those 3 way calls, I remember I used Aweb once for a call like that and it cost me $120 for about 25 minutes. :o   But Anna spoke good English, and afterwards I had her home number and email. It's a call I have never regretted making.

I don't know how you are with girls back in the USA,can you pick up on a girls body language?  Was she asking about your life in a detailed way, beyond the basic questions ?  In those photo's she isn't warming up to you at all. In the one photo she is seated ,while you are in behind her. There's nothing to even suggest she knows your there.  I'm sorry if that doesn't make you feel very good inside,but that's the way I see it.
 Did she ask for some photo's with you and her in them ? Or did she only want to have photo's of herself ?  If she wanted photo's of the two of you , did you get them printed, or did she just take the CD home? All these questions will give you alot of insight into her feelings she had for you.

Offline Link

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 08:05:54 PM »
here is her and i.

An off topic question, do you guys (Anglo- Saxon and FSU gals) consider this girl to be "white" based on her photos?

My guess is the answer is "no" but I prefer to ask.

what does that have to do with ANYTHING?

Nothing, that's why I wrote it was an off topic question, just I needed an outsider point of view after watching some videos about hate crimes in Russia related to racism. And the girl has the perfect physical characteristics to confirm what I suspect.
not sure what you are referring to, Link? What do you suspect?

I saw videos about racism in Russia, in which the victims were white skinned but they had dark hair - eyes and non slavic facial gestures (an Italian and an American who were taken by people from the caucasus thus non white). So my guess was that for some skinheads what makes their victims white or not is the colour of their hair - eyes and facial gestures, not the colour of their skin.

Offline tainted

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
You’ve lost me on the 66 year old comment. Was her Granddad there too? :)

you said if i was younger you would care more...
doesnt matter though...
i just cant believe what has just happened.

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 08:13:15 PM »
whats the point?
i cant speak russian.. :coffeeread:

Have you figured out why you should have asked for her telephone number yet?

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2009, 08:21:35 PM »
Of course I would be more sympathetic to a younger, post pubescent guy ... but you're 39! What did you really think was happening?

Look on the bright side. You’re not bad looking, you don’t look your age, you’re not overweight and you got on a plane so kudos to you. I can tell you for a fact that there are thousands upon thousands of equally good looking ladies in Ukraine who are a few years older (25/26/27), who speak English and want to find a good husband.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself down, do some reading and get some education behind you and I feel sure you will return … MKII. Good luck!

P.S. Next time don’t use Anastasia and get her number on the first date.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »
well....i understand that....thanks alot..
but what i dont understand is this..
Her name is xxxxx
she was xxxxx
xxxxx
She is a well known model.
she makes better money being a model then she could have gotten doing this as a scam.
i am just so damn lost...all i know is that everything i have been planning on and dreaming about for the last year is now gone....
i dont think i will ever do this again.

Richie, do you actually KNOW that she is currently under a contract with a modeling agency and is making good money modelling, or is this what you've been told? Have you seen any magazine layouts/TV ads, anything current with her in it? There are many "model material" girls in Ukraine and Russia so they have a lot of competition and do other things to survive in between contracts/assignments. I think that "pro-dating" is her part time job and I think that she probably likes you as a person, since she decided to end it here instead of continuing to string you alone and ask to send money for English lessons, accepting gifts and flowers etc.
On a brighter side there are tens of thousands of great women that would be interested in a nice guy like you who wants a family.
So try to get passed this experience, learn from it, stay away from professional models and girls under 25 and you'll be alright!

Edit by Shakespear at request of op

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2009, 08:32:34 PM »
here is her and i.

You're 39 and unemployed.  Excuse me for being direct, but don't think you're a little out of her league?  The woman is 20 years old and international fashion model beautiful.  Are those the kind of ladies you normally date in the USA?  If not what makes you think you would be able to attract one in Ukraine?

Think man, think!

Chalk it up to a lesson learned.  
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline tainted

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2009, 08:34:37 PM »
whats the point?
i cant speak russian.. :coffeeread:

Not really no..
i have her translator's #...and we kept in touch through her..
the translator called her twice asking if she was planning on writing me and she said yes as soon as she had time from her studies and work.

she also went out of her way to hold my hand and she did ask me alot about myself and my life.

but...she wouldnt kiss me because she said any respectable Ukrainian woman would never do that on the first meeting.. :biggrin:

Offline tainted

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2009, 08:36:33 PM »
well....i understand that....thanks alot..
but what i dont understand is this..
Her name is Aliona S.
she was Miss Kiev at the 2008 Global beauty contest.
http://www.infofashion.ro/Ukraine__Alena_Sarana_at_Miss_Globe_International_2008-pfl7837.html
she is a well known model.
she makes better money being a model then she could have gotten doing this as a scam.
i am just so damn lost...all i know is that everything i have been planning on and dreaming about for the last year is now gone....
i dont think i will ever do this again.

Richie, do you actually KNOW that she is currently under a contract with a modeling agency and is making good money modelling, or is this what you've been told? Have you seen any magazine layouts/TV ads, anything current with her in it? There are many "model material" girls in Ukraine and Russia so they have a lot of competition and do other things to survive in between contracts/assignments. I think that "pro-dating" is her part time job and I think that she probably likes you as a person, since she decided to end it here instead of continuing to string you alone and ask to send money for English lessons, accepting gifts and flowers etc.
On a brighter side there are tens of thousands of great women that would be interested in a nice guy like you who wants a family.
So try to get passed this experience, learn from it, stay away from professional models and girls under 25 and you'll be alright!
i have seen alot of her photo's
thanks alot for your advice.

Offline tainted

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 08:38:53 PM »
here is her and i.

You're 38 and unemployed.  Excuse me for being direct, but don't think you're a little out of her league?  The woman is international fashion model beautiful.  Are those the kind of ladies you normally date in the USA?  If not what makes you think you would be able to attract one in Ukraine?

Think man, think!

Chalk it up to a lesson learned.  

are you kidding me?
for one..Im 39......second..i own my own business.
third...yeah..i do date beautiful women here in the US but the ladies my age either have kids and dont want any more or they dont have kids and dont want any...thats why i started looking.

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 08:44:58 PM »
......second..i own my own business.

Oooops ..... and there lies your problem, or at least one of them.

Offline tainted

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 08:50:25 PM »
hah...ok...
please explain that.

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2009, 08:51:32 PM »
"GARichey,"

If one of these FSU ladies is into you, you'll know it. It will be like she hit you on your head with a hammer obvious. If your not feeling the love, there's an issue, a hesitance, lack of attraction, she's just not into you; or a misunderstanding. If your usually oblivious to everything but a truckload full of explosives going off there is nothing we can do to help you. What did your gut tell you?

Also, it sounds like you would do well to read all of the trip reports and everything you can find in regards to this endeavor here.

Good luck.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2009, 08:53:09 PM »

are you kidding me?

No, but I have to ask, are you kidding yourself?

for one..Im 39......second..i own my own business.  

I'm sorry.  I thought I read that you suspended correspondence with her for over 3 months because you were unemployed.  Pardon me if I read something wrong.

third...yeah..i do date beautiful women here in the US but the ladies my age either have kids and don't want any more or they don't have kids and don't want any...that's why i started looking.  

So you thought a 20 year old international fashion model was a good place to start?  Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.  Many have made the same mistake of thinking with the "little head" instead of the big one with a brain.   I agree with the rest of the group.  You can learn a lot here.  After a couple weeks, "get back up on the horse that threw you" and start looking again.  Focus on the 28-32 age group and don't ignore ladies with children.  That's one way you can play a bit out of your league in the beauty side and get away with it.  

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions along the way.
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline tainted

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2009, 08:55:43 PM »
i didnt know who she was at first.

and no...i wont be doing this ever again.

thanks for all the help everyone.

Offline Boris

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2009, 08:57:12 PM »
Don't beat yourself up. You had the courage to get on a plane and give it a shot. Hopefully you learned a lot. Read some more here so you'll be better prepared next time.

Edit. It doesn't look like there will be a next time.

B.

Offline tainted

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2009, 09:00:03 PM »
Don't beat yourself up. You had the courage to get on a plane and give it a shot. Hopefully you learned a lot. Read some more here so you'll be better prepared next time.

Edit. It doesn't look like there will be a next time.

B.

thanks again for the encouragement.

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2009, 09:00:22 PM »
hah...ok...
please explain that.

Well you could have written: I’m smart, witty, charming and enigmatic. I look good, carry myself well, am confident, have a gsoh, am a dashing charmer with the young chix who pander to my every request and hang to every wise word I speak.

Instead you told us you have your own business.

If it helps then having your own business counts for diddley squid in the true love stakes.

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2009, 09:00:34 PM »
Not really no..
i have her translator's #...and we kept in touch through her..
the translator called her twice asking if she was planning on writing me and she said yes as soon as she had time from her studies and work.

she also went out of her way to hold my hand and she did ask me alot about myself and my life.

but...she wouldnt kiss me because she said any respectable Ukrainian woman would never do that on the first meeting.. :biggrin:

... because you wouldn't be limited to using the translator who has been screwing you as an intermediary; any of the folks here who speak Russian could do it.

You didn't believe that rubbish about respectable Ukrainian women not kissing on the first meeting, did you?

Offline tainted

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »
hah...ok...
please explain that.

Well you could have written: I’m smart, witty, charming and enigmatic. I look good, carry myself well, am confident, have a gsoh, am a dashing charmer with the young chix who pander to my every request and hang to every wise word I speak.

Instead you told us you have your own business.

If it helps then having your own business counts for diddley squid in the true love stakes.
Ummmm....
i was replying to a guy that said i was unemployed...