The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Poll

Your opinions of Socials?

I was at a Social
9 (5.7%)
I have never been on a social
57 (36.1%)
I have friends that went on one
14 (8.9%)
I have a good opinion of them
13 (8.2%)
I have a bad opinion of them
29 (18.4%)
I would never go on a Social
36 (22.8%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: Romance Tours & Socials - Good experiences or bad?  (Read 82595 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Romance Tours & Socials - Good experiences or bad?
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 02:28:51 PM »
Some day you should piece together "The Odyssey of Turbo" for the trip report section.  I remember reading all about your trials and tribulations back in the day.
Your stories and others was part of what inspired me to take the plunge.

I agree!  :nod:

Turbo has been around these sites a long time, I read much of his stuff before we ever interacted. People could learn much from his full TR.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 03:11:37 PM »
My full trip report would be a very long read with a lot of dead ends.   Actually I started off writing some women from other parts of the world and probably wrote my first RW around 92 through Cherry Blossoms.    Most of their women were from Asia but they had a few RW.   

One of the things I always thought was funny later on was Cherry Blossoms had a disclaimer in their catalog in those days.   I don't remember it word for word but it went something like, "Don't be discouraged by the photos of RW.   They are trained not to smile in their photos and most don't wear much make up but in reality some are quite attractive."   The photos you would see from Russia often had coats that looked like army surplus and shoes that sometimes looked like combat boots or some that looked like shoes from 1920.   When you compare those days with how beautiful the women are today and how much pride they take in their appearance it is quite a shock.   Russia was then a mysterious place for Americans and I guess still is to an extent.  I can recall showing a lot of people the first photo I got of a RW.  She was standing in front of the Kremlin in the photo and to me it was someplace I never imagined actually going. 

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 03:18:35 PM »
I searched for 10 years as well Eduard.   I started out in the snail mail days with some outfits like Club Prima and Latin-Euro introductions which are long gone.   I made my first trip in 1996, made two in 1998 and then did some European Connections tours and some follow up trips to meet the scammers I met on the tours.  There was one failed K-1 in there about 4 years ago and met my wife in 2007.   Where were you when I needed you back in the early days Eduard :chuckle2: :chuckle2: :chuckle2:
wow, my hat is off to both of you guys for sticking with it for 10 years!  tiphat I don't know If I could do it for that long!

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »
My full trip report would be a very long read with a lot of dead ends.   Actually I started off writing some women from other parts of the world and probably wrote my first RW around 92 through Cherry Blossoms.    Most of their women were from Asia but they had a few RW.  

One of the things I always thought was funny later on was Cherry Blossoms had a disclaimer in their catalog in those days.   I don't remember it word for word but it went something like, "Don't be discouraged by the photos of RW.   They are trained not to smile in their photos and most don't wear much make up but in reality some are quite attractive."   The photos you would see from Russia often had coats that looked like army surplus and shoes that sometimes looked like combat boots or some that looked like shoes from 1920.   When you compare those days with how beautiful the women are today and how much pride they take in their appearance it is quite a shock.   Russia was then a mysterious place for Americans and I guess still is to an extent.  I can recall showing a lot of people the first photo I got of a RW.  She was standing in front of the Kremlin in the photo and to me it was someplace I never imagined actually going.  
yeah, I remember the days when industrial soap was used as soap, shampoo, and laundry detergent, old cut up newspaper was used for toilet paper and the word "deodorant" didn't even exist in Russian language! Women were mostly "naturally beautiful still, with no access to modern hair and make up technologies.
In those days there was more of a tendency for women to get overweight in their 30s and 40s in Russia - hence the perception in the west that all Russian women were "big". Funny how things turned around a couple of decades later!

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 04:36:43 AM »
On one of my first trips I brought a little of the toilet paper home from a very nice hotel in Perm that had no hot water.   When I was telling people about my trip I would show them that toilet paper and ask them what they thought it was.   Not one person ever guessed toilet paper.   The most common guess was wall paper. 

Of course when you flew you didn't go to the ticket counter like everyone else.  You had to go to the Intourist office where they kept you segregated from the rest of the crowd.  Finding it was always a challenge.   Flying itself was an experience.   I can recall one time that I had to load my baggage myself.  I mean physically set it in the cargo hold of the plane.   The state department had a warning out telling American's not to fly on a Russian plane in those days.   I can recall having an exit row seat.   Usually they make sure you are fit and able to work the exit door.  On that flight there was a big pile of baggage stacked in the open area of the exit door.  You would have had to move 15 big suitcases to open the exit door.   Stories of pigs running up and down the airline aisles were common but I personally never saw any pigs on the planes.   My beverage service on a 3 hour flight was a paper cup of water.   

Offline civi68

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2009, 06:53:07 AM »
Yes, I have been doing this on and off since 1999, usually every 2 years or so. Brought a girl over in 2000, bad experience since she drank a lot and didn't seem this way when I met. Only met party girls at the AFA social in 2001. Wasted two trips on one girl in 2005 that lied about still being with her husband. Also, met a few only interested in AM taking them on vacations. And no, these women weren't model types. Most had a child. I visited small and big cities in Ukraine as well as St Pete and Moscow.
   I met quite a few guys over the years that have been doing this as long as I have. Also met some guys that would have liked to continue but ran out of money. Also know of some guys who did visas and the woman had unrealistic financial expectations where she expected shopping sprees and almost drained their accounts.
   Was it all bad? No. Both good and bad. Just haven't met someone yet that seems sincere and willing to live a reasonable lifestyle or interested in leaving their country unless they meet a guy who met their expectations. Overall, most guys seemed normal, as in average guys that weren't studs. Men tended to date too young in my opinion, sometimes not because they wanted younger women but they wanted to avoid women with a child. Met some women that seemed sincere while others were not too happy with the quality of guys and wondered where the better looking AM's were. Met a lot of women that have been doing this for years and met many guys but didn't like most of them.
Mike

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 05:41:18 AM »
wow, this is incredible! I'm afraid to ask how much money did you spend on this so far...
So, where are you at now with your search? Have you tried any other venues besides "romance tours"?

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2009, 08:09:44 AM »
Civi,  I have to agree with Eduard, you need to find other alternatives for meeting women.   I went through the "Social" kick myself for a while and did nothing but waste a lot of time and money.   It almost sounds like we ment the same women. 

Once I decided "Socials" were a waste and went about meeting women in other ways I had much better luck and met a much better group of women.   

Offline civi68

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2009, 05:10:05 AM »
Yes, I spent a lot of money. But it was money well spent as I had great experiences. I stopped doing socials in 2001. Most of the women I met were from agencies. On my last trip,  I used the dating site Liliya. I stayed with one of the guys from these boards, Ray Anderson. His wife and him helped me on my trip to Moscow. I met a few women, another one who was still with her abusive husband which I ended after a few dates. I ended up with a woman who was interested in finding a rich guy. I also met an Armenian woman in Moscow who I still write to and may meet again in the spring.
   As I said before, over the years, most of the guys I met were pretty frustrated with the Russian women, whether it be while meeting them over there or being married to them. Most of the frustration revolved around finding women sincerely interested, or if they came, arguing over finances. Most men I met have middle to upper class jobs so it was more of an argument over trying to get the woman not to overspend. I saw a lot of women willing to meet guys for dinner even if they were not that interested in them. On the agency sites, I still see many women on them that I met years ago. If women meet 10-20 guys and still can't choose, they probably are looking for more than what the typical guy doing this has to offer. As I told some women, the stud types can find women here.
   Maybe I sound too negative. I am not negative about FSU dating but it seems to me there are some challenges with "average" looking guys chasing attractive women that came up in my experiences, particularly if the age difference is more than 5 years or so.
Mike

Offline Stubben

• Meмber
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 05:16:58 AM »
I am not negative about FSU dating but it seems to me there are some challenges with "average" looking guys chasing attractive women that came up in my experiences, particularly if the age difference is more than 5 years or so.

Do you find this surprising?

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2009, 07:25:30 AM »
There are plenty of attractive women who would be happy with an "average" guy, as long as he is loyal, caring and a loving husband/father.
IMO you might wanna go outside of the agency circuit (I guess you are already out of the "romance tour" circuit) and get to know women in general poplulation in Russia who are not looking to make money off foreigners or not looking for a rich "sponsor" type. Did you ever stop to think why so many of those beauties are on the sites for years and years? If you dig a little deeper you'll find out that they usually are in a relationship or even married, and are just making money off naive foreign men who just don't know any better.
 As long as you are not after "hot young model" types you really shouldn't have a problem locating some great prospects, potential "wife material".

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 09:59:10 PM »
Y
   As I said before, over the years, most of the guys I met were pretty frustrated with the Russian women, whether it be while meeting them over there or being married to them. Most of the frustration revolved around finding women sincerely interested, or if they came, arguing over finances. Most men I met have middle to upper class jobs so it was more of an argument over trying to get the woman not to overspend. I saw a lot of women willing to meet guys for dinner even if they were not that interested in them. On the agency sites, I still see many women on them that I met years ago. If women meet 10-20 guys and still can't choose, they probably are looking for more than what the typical guy doing this has to offer. As I told some women, the stud types can find women here.

Are the guys you know who have problems (meeting & marrying RW) using agencies too, or socials?

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2009, 03:55:44 AM »

Are the guys you know who have problems (meeting & marrying RW) using agencies too, or socials?

I was in the searching stage longer than most and went through some different phases in my search.    By far the least productive phase of my search was the socials phase.   It was an absolute total waste of money and years of my life.   I will make an exception of Jack's tours which I think are productive but the big agency tours are not an easy way to meet a good woman and you also waste some time because they are on a fixed schedule so you must wait until they have a tour rather than packing your bags and going.

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2009, 08:04:14 PM »
wow, my hat is off to both of you guys for sticking with it for 10 years!  tiphat I don't know If I could do it for that long!

Well for me the journey was much longer than 10 years...

But I only used agencies for 4 months. If that makes any sense. (Probably not.  ???)

Offline hyap

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2009, 07:01:44 PM »
I went to the Anastasia socials this past September 2009.  There were two in Kharkov and one in Dnepropetrovsk. Since it was my first time in Eastern Europe and the socials were included in the trip, I didn’t mind paying the relatively high cost of the socials - because I felt safer being on tour.

Regarding the socials- well I was taken aback by how many older women there were there.  On the Anastasia website, it seems to me so many of the girls are young. (25 y.o. and younger)  At least the ones that write to me.  So maybe I got a biased view.  But there were a lot of older women.  I would say an even distribution of ages from 18 to 50.  But hey, that’s fair, cause I was the youngest man on my tour (37) and most  of the other guys on tour were 40- 50 and half were divorced. There were a total of about 10 guys on tour and about 3 guys just there for the socials. I was expecting it to be wall to wall filled with model - quality girls or the - girl - next door girls.  Maybe about  25%, were girls 25 or younger.  Still I was relieved to see women that I saw on the website.  As a newbie fearing scammers, I was relieved to know that they really existed. We had some games and dances too, which were fun.  

I got some attention, but I wasn’t accosted by women. I envy those who write about how hungry the girls were in the 90's.  Note, I’m Asian and also very young looking, so I think that disinterested many of the  girls.  But I did meet a mix of sincere girls, scammers, players, party girls, already attached girls.    I got some dates and numbers  from the socials.  But I didn’t meet anyone I was serious about.  A few girls did seem serious about me.  Note: I did make some platonic-type friends there too.   About  half of the men on tour  met girls they were serious about.  That was impressive!  Men met girls there at the socials for the first time ever and they got serious ( I have kept in touch with my tour mates  months later and they have said so) !

I’m not going back on a social - because as an younger and  Asian male, I’m not reaping as much out of the social as some other guy might.   For me, it’s more advantageous to meet the girls on a one-to- one.  But I could see them as fun / productive for some other guy.

So all in all, good and bad.
H-bomb

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2009, 10:18:07 PM »
I went to the Anastasia socials this past September 2009.  There were two in Kharkov and one in Dnepropetrovsk. Since it was my first time in Eastern Europe and the socials were included in the trip, I didn’t mind paying the relatively high cost of the socials - because I felt safer being on tour.

Regarding the socials- well I was taken aback by how many older women there were there.  On the Anastasia website, it seems to me so many of the girls are young. (25 y.o. and younger)  At least the ones that write to me.  So maybe I got a biased view.  But there were a lot of older women.  I would say an even distribution of ages from 18 to 50.  But hey, that’s fair, cause I was the youngest man on my tour (37) and most  of the other guys on tour were 40- 50 and half were divorced. There were a total of about 10 guys on tour and about 3 guys just there for the socials. I was expecting it to be wall to wall filled with model - quality girls or the - girl - next door girls.  Maybe about  25%, were girls 25 or younger.  Still I was relieved to see women that I saw on the website.  As a newbie fearing scammers, I was relieved to know that they really existed. We had some games and dances too, which were fun.  

I got some attention, but I wasn’t accosted by women. I envy those who write about how hungry the girls were in the 90's.  Note, I’m Asian and also very young looking, so I think that disinterested many of the  girls.  But I did meet a mix of sincere girls, scammers, players, party girls, already attached girls.    I got some dates and numbers  from the socials.  But I didn’t meet anyone I was serious about.  A few girls did seem serious about me.  Note: I did make some platonic-type friends there too.   About  half of the men on tour  met girls they were serious about.  That was impressive!  Men met girls there at the socials for the first time ever and they got serious ( I have kept in touch with my tour mates  months later and they have said so) !

I’m not going back on a social - because as an younger and  Asian male, I’m not reaping as much out of the social as some other guy might.   For me, it’s more advantageous to meet the girls on a one-to- one.  But I could see them as fun / productive for some other guy.

So all in all, good and bad.

hyap do you realize that the FSU have a large Asian population?  In some of the former Russian republics like Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan or parts of eastern Russia an Asian would blend in with the locals. 

One of the forum members just got back from a trip to Russia where he met a woman from Uzbekistan.  Probably also be a good idea to learn some Russian, after all if the woman doesn't speak English and you speak Russian you're miles ahead of any other man who doesn't also speak Russian, no matter how rich or good looking he is. 
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline rougetor

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2009, 07:02:21 AM »
For two years I studied all the "testimonials" from several hundred FSU sites just for interest sake as I was not interested in finding anyone at that time. What struck me was that almost no man's testimonial said he went on  tour, found his true love and lived happily ever after. The men mostly said they had a good time and hoped to return. I thought "if that is a testimonial then that is the BEST the site had to offer . . .  not a good sign." I corresponded with a serious woman from Pskov (she was a Russian customs official who traveled a great deal in the FSU) and she went on one tour to St. Petes and it was a very negative experience for her where there were over a hundred women and thirteen men. She was young and very attractive and if any woman should have enjoyed the social it would have been her. I seem to remember from one of my undergraduate college classes the principle of a "closed dating environment" which was, more or less, that in closed environments like discos, bars where the variety of persons is limited and there is a great deal of noise which makes meaningful communication between men and women difficult and further impaired by alcohol, choices are typically made mostly on physical appearances which ambient noise does not impair. Such choices are not likely to lead to a serious relationship. My guess would be that in a socials environment where direct communication is a major problem because of language difference and translation by agency motivated translators, that it would be difficult to make meaningful choices. I would not myself go on a tour but two clients have and they did not like the tour mentality and actually met the most interesting women outside of the tour (who spoke English) at some of the places agencies traditionally take men to. I also know of some physicians from my city who are married and go every year on socials for . .  . "recreation". I assume that the presence of such men on tours is not a positive in recruiting women for socials. The women I have corresponded with over almost a five year span of time are shocked to learn how little screening of men take place. I know of a man (mayor of a major Mexican city who uses tours to recruit "movidas"). His sister told me at one time he had four FSU women in four different houses in his city. That type of behaviour has to, sooner or later, poison tours from the women's perspective.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 08:35:41 AM »
That type of behaviour has to, sooner or later, poison tours from the women's perspective.
These tours have had a very bad reputation among the general population FSU women for years. At least the normal women that I talked to said that they wouldn't go to such event.

Offline raskolnik

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 01:31:10 AM »
Hey everyone, ive spent the last 3-4 years in moscow as an expat (im here as i type this!) and i have always been fascinated  with the whole marriage agency bride 'tours', you know, when you pay your money to come and visit the prospects.
in fact, i used to want to work as a translator at one such agencies, but could never find an in (plus i think they usually go with women).

so i suppose my question is to those who have been on such trips, generally did you think it was worth it or was it more of a money spinning thing? also, did you travel to different towns to meet different women or did you stay in moscow or spb?

i dont know how many of you know, but you can register on many russian dating websites for free and contact as many people as you want (of course, they'll need to know english and have some interest in a foreigner/ distance relationship)
one such site is freerussianpersonals, they dont have as much choice but a lot of the profiles are in english and are women looking to settle down. 

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 06:35:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum raskolnik.

I did three tours way back with European Connections when they still did tours and one with Jack's First Dream. 

At the time I did the European Connections tours I thought they were worthwhile but after follow up trips I found there were too many scammers and not enough serious women and there were lots of things I didn't like about the format such as it seemed to much like a cattle auction and the pretty girls were busy all the time and some of the more sincere but less attractive women did not talk to anyone despite in some cases having traveled hundreds of miles by train to get there. 

Jack's tour was something I did like and did feel was worthwhile.  It's a different format and the ladies were much more sincere and almost no scammers. 

I agree that most of the translators were women.  I had one male translater on Jack's tour and he was one of the best I used.

Offline raskolnik

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2010, 01:31:20 PM »
So are there many of these 'tour agencies' still in operation or have numbers dropped with all the talk of scammers?

i remember watching a documentary on some bride tour and the translators were doing a pretty bad job, but i guess not so bad that communication was a real problem.

do many of you guys consider learning russian before you embark on a potential relationship with a russian woman?
i imagine i'd get quite paranoid if i couldnt understand what my wife/gf was saying etc  :king:

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »
Some of the tour agencies have dropped off.  European Connections was one of the largest in the industry and they totally quit having them.  At one time they were a 20 million dollar company.  It has since been sold to someone in Canada.  There are still a number of companies doing tours.  They used to go to the big cities, Moscow, Kiev and St Petersburg but now tend to go to the smaller cities. 

If guys are worried about communications some limit the women they meet to only those who speak passable English or better.  Some guys don't care.  If a woman does get engaged she can learn enough English while the visa is being processed to communicate moderately well.  You may find a natural tendency to gravitate to women with good English since sometimes working through a translator it is hard to really develop a rapport.  There are some threads discussing this if you search for them.

Russian is not an easy language to learn.  I tried for a long time to learn Russian and could understand a bit but never got to the point where I could carry on even a basic conversation.  It is good to know a little though.  I would recommend it.  Pimsleur is one way a lot of guys go, Rosetta stone is another.  Both have their pluses and minuses.

Offline djfourmoney

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 07:28:30 PM »
 Guess its my day to post...

Having never been on a tour or to a social and all the typical tales of woe that happen, I'm not shocked by the mixed results and like Ed, Ten years? Yikes! I'm hoping to do it in one shot and with my unique features my choices will be vastly more narrow than the typical person going on a social if I choose to go that route.

Which is likely why I have less of a problem with socials/tours on the surface. I can visualize some apathy from this type of thing after a decade or so. I can also see a scenario that the majority of men that go gravitate towards the best looking, youngest women, its only natural.

I personally think there is no one way to do this and no best way to do this. All opinions are based on the level of success you have enjoyed. But I see loads of personal things here as well. If you have historically never worked well in a crowded environment then socials should be avoided. If you don't like competition and even when its only 30-40 other men, they are still the competition, then you should opt for another direction.

Most experts believe you need to meet hundreds of women before you meet somebody worthy of more than a casual relationship. Explain to me how that's suppose to happen if you don't expose yourself to hundreds of women? I also think such a low percentage of men even go no matter if its via socials, email exchanges, etc that the numbers are actually in your favor not the other way around.

I'm frankly getting tired of hearing about the specter of scam-artist. Those same traps exist at home if you meet the wrong woman, its not a problem unique to just FSU women, that's ridiculous.

I also happen to think that I don't have as much margin for error as many of you seem to enjoy, spending thousands and thousands of dollars over a decade just sounds ludicrous. That's not meant to be personal at all, its just an observation.

Offline ecocks

• Always willing to help.
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 08:43:39 PM »
I agree with most of your comments DJ.

Particularly the combination of expenses and impatience with the time it takes to "test" the gal and build a longlasting relationship. Not every guy can do this.

However, the truth is most guys justify the trips as vacations (nothing wrong with that) and few have the patience to court a gal more than a few months in any setting, much less long-distance dating.

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2011, 06:18:28 AM »
Travelling is my passion: an unforgettable experience, positive emotions, meeting new people. I heard a lot about Uzbekistan, and really wanted to visit this country. On the internet a lot looking for  Uzbekistan tours and agencies. But I liked only one agency. In fact very much advise you to visit this site, there are many different routes, and very importantly - the prices are reasonable.
Here is the web-site: [spam deleted]

Spammers are my passion. How do you do?

Registration