The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Petrozavodsk - Петрозаво́дск - Karelia - Petroskoi, capital of Karelia  (Read 4027 times)

Offline gunner

i am talking to a lady from there... sure i looked it up on internet but i was wondering if anybody here had been there before ?

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Petrozavodsk, capital of Karelia
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 09:21:16 PM »
Hi Gunner, we'll fill in the blanks and thanks for the idea.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Petrozavodsk is the gateway to 2 of Russia's most historic places: The beautiful wood churches of Nizhi, built without a single nail, and you can take a ferry from Petrozavodsk to Nizhi.

Valaam Monastery is Russia's most famous monastery and it is very easy to travel from Petrozavodsk to the town Sortavala, located on the northern shore of the biggest European Lake - Lake Ladoga (250 km from Petrozavodsk). The ferry to Valaam Island by hydrofoil  is a one hour trip each way.

Offline mendeleyev

Petrozavodsk - Петрозаво́дск - Karelia - Petroskoi
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »
Petrozavodsk (Петрозаво́дск; Karelian/Vepsian/Finnish: Petroskoi)

Petrozavodsk is the capital of the Republic of Karelia, Russia, with a population of 266,160 (2002 Census). It stretches along the western shore of the Lake Onega for some 27 kilometers. Petrozavodsk can be considered as gateway to the famous Valaam Monastery and the fascinating wood churches (built with no nails) of Ки́жи (Kizhi).

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] Ки́жи churches.

The main street of the city is Lenin avenue. It goes from the railway station to the Onego Lake waterfront. There are numerous fountains, many shops, bars and restaurants on Lenin avenue. If you turn right on Engels street you will find the historical center of the city - Lenin Square.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] Ferry to Monastery.

It is amazing that there are many names of streets and squires left from the Soviet times in Petrozavodsk. The answer could be the calm and patient northern mentality that is not in a rush to change things. Furthermore, the local authorities say there is no need to change your history. Karl Marks avenue is another street with the name remained from the Soviet times.

The Lenin statue was erected in the 1930s and during the Soviet-German War the local authorities had no time to evacuate the monument when Finnish troops were about to seize the city. But in fact, the Finns have practically nothing against this person because it was Lenin who gave them independence in 1918. And this statue survived through the occupation though became dilapidated.

Along the Onego Lake waterfront you'll be welcomed by the bronze monument of Peter the Great. The town founder is in full-dress uniform with his sword. His right hand points at at the mouth of the River Salmon where in 1703 a gun foundry was given the name of Petrozavodsk. Initally the statue was unveiled on Circle Square but after the October Revolution it was substituted by Lenin's monument.

Petrozavodsk was the host to the 2008 Miss Russia pagent.

The city was founded on 11 September 1703 as Petrovskaya Sloboda by Prince Menshikov at the behest of Peter the Great who needed a new iron foundry for manufacturing cannons and anchors for the Baltic Fleet at the time of the Great Northern War.

By 1717, Petrovskaya Sloboda had grown into the largest settlement in Karelia, with about 3500 inhabitants, a timber fort, a covered market, and miniature palaces of the Tsar and Menshikov. The town's best known landmark was the wooden church of Sts. Peter and Paul, rebuilt in 1772 and renovated in 1789.

The city was occupied by Finnish troops for nearly three years before it was retaken by Soviet forces on June 28, 1944. Before leaving the town the Finnish troops provided the inhabitants with a week's ration of food; a unique deed in military history.

The city is uniquely European, while remaining Russian, in its attitudes and culture. Upon visiting you will notice that unique difference about Petrozavodsk.

The city has a fine frontage on the Gulf of Petrozavodsk. The modern embankment, inaugurated in 1994, displays an assortment of Karelian granites and marbles. It is lined with extravagant postmodernist sculptures presented by sister cities of Petrozavodsk from around the world.

Offline mendeleyev

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] City day parade.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] Parade costumes.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] History re-enacted.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] Ice sculpture.

Petrozavodsk is home to a McDonalds's "knock off" restaurant. Sorry, only fake food too as this place has tried to copy the Western hamburger operation, but "MacDuck" is about as close as it gets.  :chuckle:

Offline mendeleyev

I have some photos of Valaam Monastery in my wife's camera from earlier this year and will try to do a feature on Valaam soon.

Offline gunner

WOW !  thank you ! spasiba !

I must say that people on the forum are always willing to provide information of quality and quickly.  I think i am interested in the culture as much as in the women.... those churches are just beautiful !  If i go there and it doesnt work you with the lady i know at least i ll have a good time sight seing !

Offline mendeleyev

Gunner, in prep for your trip here is a little surprise for the lady--know how to say the name of her city upon arrival!

Петрозаво́дск = Petrozavodsk

"Petra-zah-VOtsk"  

Guide:
Петро -- the o is spoken as an "ah."

за -- zah

во -- VOH    This O is the vowel that is stressed, which carries the whole syllable, во́дск.

дск -- tsk   The д "deh" is replaced with the "teh" sound (a grammar rule at the end of a word).

Offline mendeleyev

Various postings on YouTube about Петрозаво́дск:

Мой любимый город (My lovely city):

My Russia trip (posted by a WM, nice!):

присяга (The Oath): This is an interesting video that is presented in two parts. Part one is the swearing ceremony of young military graduates from the academy. Part two is when the young men and their families tour the city. Great views!

Pay close attention to the song about the city in part two. The name of the city is sung in each chorus "Petrozavodsk I love you" (in Russian), starting at 3:15 thru 3:40 and again at 4:28,,,,,

Online msmoby

Hi Gunner

If you ever get a chance to see Jonathan Dimbleby's "Russia- a Journey" - a BBC series - I think it's available on DVD - may be a library will have it to rent ?  - watch episode one .. Mostly about Karelia..

BEAUTIFUL..

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/book_extracts/article3778952.ece

Offline WestCoast

Hi Gunner

If you ever get a chance to see Jonathan Dimbleby's "Russia- a Journey" - a BBC series - I think it's available on DVD - may be a library will have it to rent ?  - watch episode one .. Mostly about Karelia..

BEAUTIFUL..

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/book_extracts/article3778952.ece

Gunner and Moby, no need to rent it or even leave the comfort of your living room. It's on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Russia-+a+Journey&search_type=&aq=f
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Online msmoby

Gunner and Moby, no need to rent it or even leave the comfort of your living room. It's on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Russia-+a+Journey&search_type=&aq=f

Thx, WC

these are clips.. and I can't see the episode that was 75% dedicated to Karelia :(

Offline Jared2151

You guys will have to excuse me for turning into a wimpering puddle when I saw the young lady ( 3rd from left) that was a Miss Russia contestant.

Ohhhhh mommy ...... to be in my 20's again.    :party0031:

Offline rutabaga

The name of the island where the wooden churches are located is *Kizhi*. 

Kizhi is located in Lake Onego and is accessible from Petrozavodsk via a hydrofoil. It's a United Nations World Heritage site. Some of the churches are original to the island while some have been brought from other parts of Russia. The Transfiguration Church (aka *Summer Church*) is made entirely from logs without a single nail. At 37m tall it is one of the tallest log structures in the world. There are 22 separate domes. The Transfiguration Church is currently undergoing restoration which should be completed in 2014, just in time for the 300th anniversary of it's construction. 

:whistle: A word of warning, if you take a tour of Kizhi Island, don't wander off the paths as there are many poisonous snakes on the island.

A short tour of Kizhi 
Joe

Offline rutabaga

The photo that Mendy included of the 2 fishermen throwing a net is a gift to Petrozavodsk from the city of Duluth, Minnesota.

Duluth is a *sister* city to Petrozavodsk
Joe

Offline rutabaga

(building on another of Mendy's photos)

Petrozavodsk has a winter festival that has an ice sculpture contest. It's pretty amazing what the artists can do with just some snow and ice.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=702

Joe

Offline WestCoast

Hi Gunner

BEAUTIFUL..

Moby the entire series of Jonathan Dimbleby's "Russia- a Journey is on the Youtube site, it is just presented in about 10 minute clips. The first hour of the series has a section on Karelia and according to a BBC website, http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00bf5b8/Russia_A_Journey_with_Jonathan_Dimbleby_Breaking_the_Ice/, this is the part of the series that deals with Karelia.

The first hour:

Karelia

If you know how to use "torrent" there are an endless number of sites where you can download the entire series for free.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Offline rutabaga

Petrozavodsk erected a memorial to honor her sons who fought and died in Afghanistan. It is one of the few such monuments erected in Russia.

(grrr, I had a photo of the memorial but can't find it now)
Joe

Offline mendeleyev

Rutabaga, thanks for the spelling correction. I shouldn't do those so late at night without checking. 

The original post has been changed to reflect the correction.

Online msmoby

Moby the entire series of Jonathan Dimbleby's "Russia- a Journey is on the Youtube site, it is just presented in about 10 minute clips. The first hour of the series has a section on Karelia and according to a BBC website, http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00bf5b8/Russia_A_Journey_with_Jonathan_Dimbleby_Breaking_the_Ice/, this is the part of the series that deals with Karelia.

Hi WC !

on the beeb website I see this: "Russia: A Journey with Jonathan Dimbleby: Breaking the Ice is no longer available. Programmes are available for a limited number of days after broadcast."

Quote from: WestCoast link=topic=8600.msg122770#msg122770 date=1253641168
The first hour:

[youtube
_XviWxUoj6M[/youtube]
Karelia

Superstar... ! ;)

Online msmoby

Hi WC !

on the beeb website I see this: "Russia: A Journey with Jonathan Dimbleby: Breaking the Ice is no longer available. Programmes are available for a limited number of days after broadcast."

The first hour:

Karelia

You are Superstar... Guys, Ladies if you want to see beautiful scenery...! ;)

from about 6 minutes in....

Registration