The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Monterrey  (Read 5355 times)

Offline Link

Monterrey
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:35:58 PM »

Monterrey "La Sultana del Norte"

Paseo de Santa Lucia

Offline Link

Re: Monterrey
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 09:39:13 PM »
San Pedro - Valle Oriente

Club Campestre - Golf

Offline Link

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 10:07:56 PM »
Parque Fundidora

Offline mirror

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 08:26:57 AM »
Pictures show a wonderful places in Mexico and they tell more than any argument about this country.
Link,if you have more photos which you think can show the truth about Mexico,show them here,pls.

A nature looks amazing (especially I love mountains) ,what about people?

Offline Link

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 07:22:32 PM »
San Pedro - Campestre, Equus Parque Corporativo

Offline Link

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 07:31:38 PM »
Zona Metropolitana Monterrey

Offline Link

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »

Metro - Metrorrey (Subway)

Offline mirror

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 07:55:19 AM »
Thank you,Link, fof pictures.

I got a general picture about Mexico: a wonderfull nature around, many modern building with old very specifil ,I can say even exotic< buildings everywhere.

I can't compare these old buildings with anything else in the wold...maybe a little like in Prague.

Notice: I never been in Prague but what I saw in internet I find it very similar.

Offline Link

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 09:07:37 AM »
There are still many areas I missed and I want to put some photos, for example we have national parks with forest and lakes, waterfalls, the Industrial areas, and parts of city with museums, statues, parks, monuments, malls, restaurants, etc, etc, etc and so on (the city is quite big, I would say in Mexico, Monterrey is  the equivalent to Saint Petersburg in Russia, I doubt I can cover the whole city that's why I am afraid that I maybe ask for Mendelyevs help in order to show the more representatives areas (even though Guadalajara is bigger in terms of population, it cannot match the economic and political importance of Monterrey). Those "exotic" and old buildings are called "colonial buildings" many of them are from when Mexico was "The New Spain", and are considered a part of the Mexican historic patrimony, there are cities which are called "Colonial cities" because they have mainly this type of buildings.

The city recently starting to have International Open of Tennis, in the 2009 edition the  Russian female player (Maria Kirilenko) was here but because of health problems (thus was defeated easily) she retired I believe.

The website of the Monterrey Open 2009:

http://www.abiertodetenismonterrey.com

In Acapulco I believe there is another International Open of Tennis (opened recently as well) but in Monterrey you can find also some local competitions or even restricted international (between cities ) of particular sports which are not that common or popular in the rest of Mexico (because of economic or social restrictions) such as ice skating (both male and female but predominantly female) or hockey. American Footbal is very popular here and at least at College level there is a league in Mexico called the "ONEFA" which celebrates tournaments every year (and MTY has won consecutively 5 times)

Offline mirror

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 08:24:44 PM »
Those "exotic" and old buildings are called "colonial buildings" many of them are from when Mexico was "The New Spain", and are considered a part of the Mexican historic patrimony, there are cities which are called "Colonial cities" because they have mainly this type of buildings.

Ah! Thank you.

I think it would be interesting to know a hystory from first hands.