The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Healthcare for Foreigners in the FSU  (Read 6915 times)

Online sparky114

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Healthcare for Foreigners in the FSU
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2009, 01:19:38 AM »

I remember when my first daughter was 3 months, my ex-wife had a very unpleasant side effect of post natal women (Haemorrhoids) .. We had travelled to the SW of France - by car -  and the private Medical company told me to get my wife to sit on an ice pack and drive her back home !! I had to politely ( not) tell the Nurse how much benefit that advice would be on a 500 mile drive back - incl an 8 hour ferry journey..

This advice sounds funny realy. Now I see that our doctors are more helpfull.

Mirror

I have been in you hospitals a couple of times whilst in Russia, just to visit people in there and my observations are as follows.

It would seem to me that the care outside of the medical care they require is given by members of the family.

For example a friend of the family had to have an operation on his leg and required him to stay in hospital for 1 week the operation was done, and it looked like any other western operation and i believe the skills of the surgeons was very good.

But then after the operation the Family had to do rotating shifts at the hospital to look after him, washing food etc including changing of sheets on the bed  :o

The Nurse would come round on an infrequent basis along with the doctors, but during the time for staying in hospital it was the family that did the after care including some injections  :o

In our western hospitals whilst you are in there you are under the care of the doctors and the day to day duties are carried out by nurses and auxiliary staff, with only the family coming in for a short visit during the day.

Although I saw that your medical competence in carrying out operations / medical practices are very high and very com petant, what i do not find that is on any where near our level of health care here are the following

your hospitals are in need of massive funding to make them up to the standards of our western hospitals, yes i believe you are good at your jobs and that you do some very good medical practices, but really the infrastructure you have there is light years behind our services here

You say the you have been in the UK did you visit any of our hospitals here?

Elena has just been with me to the hospital in Oxford it is one of the major teaching hospitals in our country, and there she saw first hand what our medical hospitals are like, she told me it is like walking into another world, and said yes i think major towns Moscow ETC would have something simular. but never like this it is like its own city in the way it operates.

I look forward to your comments.

Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline mirror

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 03:31:31 AM »
sparky114 ,

In Russia all hospitals have a problem with workers who look after operated people. We name them"sanitarka".Medicals gave a Hippocratic Oath to help every ill people and it concerning medical doctors and nurses but not sanitarkas. Yes,medicals can work for very small money because it is their profession and their Oath but other people didn't give this Oath to help others for nothing.Sanitarka's income-less than 800 rubles a month (25-30 doll). Of course anyone will look for other job than to take of sh..t  from a bed.

Some nurses have nearly same income like sanitarkas in some hospitals so there are always a deficiency of nurses and it is why if relatives can afford to make injections then they will do. You know that if there are a deficiency of nurses it means that 1 nurse will work like 5 nurses and of course she will be overloaded by work for not extra payment...don't you want to help her?

I visited a hospital and a medical centre with GPs in the UK.I was talking with my colleagues and I even spent a time by watching how they work. Yes,you are right they have more things in their hands and I find it is very comfortable to work there .

Don't ask me to tell you how we work here I won't do it...first, because of my English (I am not sure that I will describe understandably for you),second-it is too much job for me. If you are interested to know our system-come here and look by your own.I can explain you everything on a place. I just can say when one Au friend saw how we work he was simply shocked...and I don't know still why. ;D

Online sparky114

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 03:43:00 AM »
Mirror,

I thank you for your reply, and I am also glad you have had the opportunity to see our medical system.

I have no need to visit hospitals in Russia, and hope not to be a patient ;)

I think you already can guess why this Australian would not tell  :-X

If you look back ten years and see how far your medical treatment has advanced then I think you should be rightly proud of the work the medical people do in your country :)

But your profession needs some critical money invested if it is to continue to advance at this rate.
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline mirror

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 04:39:19 AM »

But your profession needs some critical money invested if it is to continue to advance at this rate.

I don't have money for similar investment,sorry.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 07:13:56 PM »
I've read on our forum about one family, they had to see ophthalmologist here in Au. Husband of the family had laser surgery on his eyes few yeas ago. Doctor checked him out and was very impressed, he said it was done on very high level and he didn't think they were achieving the same quality here. No wonder, Fedorov was a pioneer in this types of operations. 

I was only once in the local hospital. I was one of the 3 patients, and there were 3 nursers on shift. No wonder they were checking on me every hour or so.. When I go to outpatients I find all Australian system is quite strange, I have to see a nurse first, tell her or him what is wrong with me, nurse suppose to make a decision if I need to see a doctor, I will insist any way. Then i go to the doctor and repeat to him everything I said to the nurse. Why do i have to I waist my time with the nurse? Don't they have anything better to do?

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 12:16:05 PM »

but for some reason Medical Care in the FSU is archaic unless you go to a German or US run clinic and pay EU or US prices!

When Mrs Moby goes back to Siberia she pays bobbins for locally run/ funded medical lab tests..at modern facilities..

Mike, you have NEVER BEEN to Russia.. please stop speaking with authority about something you haven't experienced... and clearly know b'all about..!

so if you do go to UA don't give up your UK NHS card ;)

OH DEAR..

Mike.. THE EHC ( European Health Card ) is valid in EEA nations and the EU member nations..

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/TravellingAbroad/BeforeYouTravel/DG_4019496

It is as much use as a chocolate teapot in UA :(

Mike, this is NOT a "witch hunt".. There's no doubting your wish to be helpful -  but posting misleading info ..?

Moby how can I say this politely; [mod edit - that was not polite] - I have many service providers that work for me in FSU and who reach out to me for various supplies and tell me just how bad things are especially outside the major international cities.  These are locals who have lived there all of their lives - I am real tired of your "if you have not been there yourself you don't know what you are talking about bull". 

It's amazing how much you can learn from folks there via email and skype - you should try it sometime.

I have finally had it with your constant contrariness and have now put you on my ignore list and will ignore all future posts of yours as basically anti american and non informative and unhelpful.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 01:09:57 PM »
For clarity sake and Fo's benefit who is a decent bloke - I mentioned that I ran into a gent in Manchester UK in spring 2004 that ran a helicopter Medivac service to get Brits back to the UK in case of medical emergency - from Portugal mind you - an EU member and a country that invented modern navigation and colonized Brazil among others...  So point is keep the UK NHS card just in case you have to hop a plane back to one of the few countries with a decent health care system for all of its people - as I mentioned previously Canada, UK, France and Norway as the very best.

We may have the greatest medical technology and practitioners in the US but my experience is that they all want to use your every visit to their practice to insure the next payment on their BMW's, Lexus and Mercedes...

Still a few motivated by compassion and sense of service to their fellow man - mostly religious missions - everyone else being squeezed by the extreme profit motive. There day of reckoning is coming.

Hope that clarifies the intent of the shared info for the resident pedants.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 02:29:40 PM »
Moby how can I say this politely; [mod edit - that was not polite] - I have many service providers that work for me in FSU and who reach out to me for various supplies and tell me just how bad things are especially outside the major international cities.  These are locals who have lived there all of their lives - I am real tired of your "if you have not been there yourself you don't know what you are talking about bull".  

Anybody want to tell Cuffy, that I APOLOGISED further down the thread :)

Somebody else putting this response in quotes should help !!! ;)

It's amazing how much you can learn from folks there via email and skype - you should try it sometime.

Sure, but all one's preconceptions and things you THOUGHT you expected will be blown away by experiencing things first hand... NO?  

Why do we go on holiday ( vacation)  if we can just see the place on TV ?

I have finally had it with your constant contrariness and have now put you on my ignore list and will ignore all future posts of yours as basically anti american and non informative and unhelpful.

1/ I DID apologise for my mistake re the UA and the EHIC  :-[

2/ In response to [my posts are] basically anti american and non informative and unhelpful.

:ROFL:

Don't worry, Cuffy, you can live a life of blissful "ignorance".. I'd NEVER put you on "ignore" 

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 02:37:07 PM »
So point is keep the UK NHS card just in case you have to hop a plane back to one of the few countries with a decent health care system for all of its people - as I mentioned previously Canada, UK, France and Norway as the very best.

Thanks, Cuffy.. but for those Brits who REALLY want help abroad, flashing the NHS card won't cut it... it's the EHIC .. ;)

Hope that clarifies the intent of the shared info for the resident pedants.

Hope you don't mind this "pedant" pointing out your ( well-intentioned ) mistake ;)

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 12:21:45 AM »
I suspect I have a somewhat more current exposure to health care in Ukraine than most in this list--for several reasons:

* I am married to a physician (anesthesiologist).

* I have had a problem with a diabetic ulcer that would not heal--causing a number of clinic visits--which finally developed a bad infection resulting in the amputation of two toes and part of the foot they were attached to (more clinic visits--including a week for the amputation and initial recovery as well as a number of subsequent visits).

The clinic was a government facility; the surgeon and anesthesiologist were outstanding.

I was in a ward of four beds--my choice, as a private room would have been much less entertaining. I actually enjoyed the (limited) communication with my fellow ward patients.

My wife handled the *many* IV meds for me ( and a number for my fellow ward occupants, actually) as well as most of my injections.

The facility was old, but clean (much as I have been reading on UK sites regarding many of hospitals there, in fact).

We paid fees to nearly everyone who was involved in my care, as I am not entitled to free care as an American living here. (Plus, with salaries as they are, paying additional money to these people is customary and very wise to do). The nurses seemed overworked, as a rule, but also quite good.

It is usual, also, to purchase medicines and supplies at pharmacies, as the government hospital rarely has the funds to provide many of them, even for residents.

We totaled up about eight months worth of medicines, the surgery itself and the clinic expenses--this ran a total of about $2,500--with the lion's share for medicines, often imported from Germany, Switzerland, the U.S. and elsewhere. It also included ten days of hyperbaric treatments in the attempt to speed healing of the ulcer before it became infected and the infection spread to the bone.

I have said it before--if you will spend extended time here, and if you don't happen to be married to a physician, it would be a very good idea to contact a good doctor *before* you need one and to pay a retainer fee. That way, if you suddenly need a doctor, you can at least get a referral to a good one and a doc who has an interest in being sure you get the best available care both in physicians and facilities where you happen to be. This is, I believe, a good idea whether you have health insurance coverage or not.

David

Offline Fo

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009, 07:12:59 AM »
Thanks Dave.
Fly

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »
David:

Hope you have recovered and feeling better - great first hand post and thanks for sharing - surprising that same is now happening in Boston - Good Doctors going private with families paying $10K retainers and the Docs actually making house calls again!.  Hospitals desperate for actual paying customers so Docs still maintain admitting privileges.

Offline lindochka

• это что такое?
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2009, 06:33:18 PM »
Belarus requires all foreign visitors to buy health insurance (or to show proof of coverage from elsewhere) upon entry to the country. Health insurance is sold right there at the airport or at the train station when you come in, so you'll have your policy in hand before you pick up your luggage and clear passport control and customs. You'll also need to have your policy or proof of other coverage with you when you register at OVIR, which you must do within 72 hours of arrival.

The insurance is for medical emergencies, not routine care. And at $0.50 USD per day it's pretty inexpensive. The fee is charged in two-day increments, so coverage for a 13-day stay costs the same as coverage for a 14-day stay.

There was some discussion on a travel-related list I belong to about proof of UK/European coverage being enough to satisfy this requirement. The conclusion was that it probably is, but the aggravation factor involved in trying to prove it might justify the comparatively small expense of buying the coverage, as fluency in languages other than Russian is likely to be limited among airport staff and even more limited among workers at train stations by the borders. The policy for the coverage purchased at entry is issued in both Russian and English -- I always felt that the small extra cost of buying it was more than offset by the convenience of not having to argue about it after 18-20 hours in transit plus another 2-4 hours to go before setting down my bags and kicking off my shoes in Smallville.

As a permanent resident of Belarus, I no longer have to carry this insurance as I am covered by the national health system. This is a good thing, as "American prices" for health care and some other government-sponsored services tend to be higher than those for other foreign nationals. (Yes, it's political.)

(typo edito)
Life is so short we must move very slowly.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2009, 08:28:11 PM »
Hi David,

Many thanks for your VERY informative info re your experience of healthcare in UA.. and we hopre you recovered fully ! ;)

However, I am wondering if you have had first hand experience of the UK's National Health Service - as what you have read about it's hospitals may NOT be accurate..

The facility was old, but clean (much as I have been reading on UK sites regarding many of hospitals there, in fact).

Issues with standards of cleanliness, have not been associated with the relative newness of hospitals

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2009, 08:05:09 AM »
Belarus requires all foreign visitors to buy health insurance (or to show proof of coverage from elsewhere) upon entry to the country. Health insurance is sold right there at the airport or at the train station when you come in

This used to be the requirement for entry into Russia as well. I still have a travel health policy as traveling so often for work, but haven't had to show proof upon Russian entry in a very long time.

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2010, 12:38:51 AM »

However, I am wondering if you have had first hand experience of the UK's National Health Service - as what you have read about it's hospitals may NOT be accurate..

Issues with standards of cleanliness, have not been associated with the relative newness of hospitals

Sorry, I only now discovered I had overlooked this post. In the last 60 days, there have been many news accounts about various deficiencies in the UK National Health Service--such as the young man who died from dehydration when the medical staff would not give him sufficient water. He actually called the police, who accepted the word of the staff that he was delusional--which he was, from lack of hydration.

Other news accounts have spoken of controversies within the UK itself about various regional health councils with inadequate treatment facilities and staff...and the reduction of coverage for many things simply as a cost issue.

So no, I doubt there is much I have really missed as to the problems the UK system is going through--which I suspect will become quite common in the US if the recent healthcare "reform" legislation is allowed to stand for long.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 01:56:27 AM »

Sorry, I only now discovered I had overlooked this post. In the last 60 days, there have been many news accounts about various deficiencies in the UK National Health Service--such as the young man who died from dehydration when the medical staff would not give him sufficient water. He actually called the police, who accepted the word of the staff that he was delusional--which he was, from lack of hydration.

Other news accounts have spoken of controversies within the UK itself about various regional health councils with inadequate treatment facilities and staff...and the reduction of coverage for many things simply as a cost issue.

So no, I doubt there is much I have really missed as to the problems the UK system is going through--which I suspect will become quite common in the US if the recent healthcare "reform" legislation is allowed to stand for long.

I have a sibling that a specialist solicitor ( lawyer ) dealing in claims for industrial injuries and negligence- she acts for the INSURANCE companies..

This sibling advises us to go private for consultations but to have the OPERATION done at an NHS institution as they are FAR better equipped to deal with problems that might occur..

YES, we had a hospital - in Staffordshire -  that had a lousy reputation and Manny will tell you that a hospital near him needed to improve..BUT.. this stories are used by US media to put 'fear' into the electorate...

Try 'knocking' our NHS.. and you'll find most Brits are proud of it and REALLY resent the portrayal of isolated events as some sort of endemic problem.

Having had first hand experience of US private medical care..and the wait folk have while FINANCIAL checks are made to see  if the patient is 'covered' by insurance...

Suggest you stick to giving advice re telephones ..  ;)

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2010, 04:19:14 AM »

dbneeley what do you mean "will become quite common in the US if the recent healthcare "reform" legislation is allowed to stand for long".  The US health care system has plenty of problems currently and has had problems for years.

http://www.breitbart.tv/dying-philadelphia-man-robbed-of-watch-in-er/ Caught on Tape: Dying Man Robbed of Watch in ER
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19207050/ Woman dies in ER lobby as 911 refuses to help

Do a Google search on any problem in the health care system in the USA and you can find problems now and from the past.  Controversies with HMOs in the USA do a Google search and you find plenty of current problems and problems from the past.  Are there problems with the health care system in Canada? Yes lots.  Are there problems with the health care system in the UK? Yes lots. 

Are there problems with the health care system in the USA? Yes lots. Don't believe me? Pick a subject in the health care system and do a Google search and when the results pop up look at the dates.  These problems have been going on for years.  I really don't see how the US government can do any worse then the current system with the HMOs and insurance companies.       
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »

Try 'knocking' our NHS.. and you'll find most Brits are proud of it and REALLY resent the portrayal of isolated events as some sort of endemic problem.

Having used the NHS for 50 years myself and having all my kids and ex wife used it all their lives. Now since my wife and stepdaughter came over here it has have meant we seem to have a regular booking at the local NHS Walk in Centre or the actual Hospital, I can only say how well we have always been dealt with and treated and cannot say anything negative at all about our system, despsite what other countries seem to drag up.

In fact we recently had an incident which meant it was worth going private and paying for it, do you know what the local BUPA told me, stick with your own GP and get them to refer you to the NHS hospital  (:) even the sight of wads of cash didn't sway them  ???  I do know we have one of the best NHS hospitals around and only last year when my wife was having heart problems, she was given a £2000 per night private suite at the local NHS hospital for free  :-X

During her observation and before being admitted she was put on a bed, they told her that they would now be taking her to the Cardiac department, so she proceeded to get off the bed and readied herself for the walk, she was told in no uncertain terms to get back on the bed and she would be pushed there, she was most surprised by this and told the doctor that in Ukraine, you only get pushed in the bed if you have already died  :laugh: otherwise you walk everywhere, no matter how ill you are  ;D

Bearing in mind my wife and stepdaughter had never paid a penny into our NHS system, the service they get is fantastic. So you won't get me calling trhe NHS, for what we pay for it, its a bargain.

Слава Україні

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2010, 12:43:06 PM »
Chris,

I have similar experience over here in NL (though I rarely visit hospitals :8) ).

How much do you pay per month for your family of 3?

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2010, 12:49:25 PM »
Chris,

I have similar experience over here in NL (though I rarely visit hospitals :8) ).

How much do you pay per month for your family of 3?

I pay a big fat ZERO, we contribute by way of National Insurance contributions that are taken at source from peoples wages, if like me you work for yourself, you pay a certain amount per year based on your earnings, however, using creative accounting  :-X as you do, that can be reduced to quite a negligable level too.

I have just paid a big Corporation tax bill but my contributions for health care was very little. Most employees pay around 5% of their gross, plus the employer pays a contribution of around 6% of that persons gross too, but as a business owner, and of course using creative accounting methods I can get away with paying nothing very little, but don't tell anyone  :-X

and BTW the fact that I get healthcare for very little (now, but have paid lots over the years)  is not why I recommend the NHS, its because we get good service and despite even wanting to pay for private treatment recently I was talked out of it. Amazing but true  :o  :)

Слава Україні

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 02:20:08 PM »
In regards to health & medicine in Ukraine,

I found out that a normal dentist (not the free-govt.types) uses disposable tools. They are discarded after every patient (as opposed to being chemicly+temperature sterilized in Netherlands)

How it works is, most of the tools have some plastic tip that touches the patient. The plastic parts are replaced before the next patient and the parts the dentist touches remains the same.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria