The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Validity of Russian/Ukrainian Driving Licences in Europe, Oz, UK & the US.  (Read 95259 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
This a topic that wants updating with info from various American states.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Trips: 5-10
I will check the requirements in my home state (Texas) and my temporary (hopefully) state of Oklahoma and post what I find out.
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
Florida recently updated the law recently requiring international driving permits, but there is some confusion on the matter and it is not enforced for the most part. With so many tourists here, I am sure they will reverse it. We know of women that have had no issues and a couple women that have been hassled for it. If it appears you have been living here a while and do not have a Florida license you may be looked at more closely.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/15/3237171/foreign-visitors-can-drive-in.html

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
Here, it's done on a state-by-state basis.

Yep, in Florida an RU D/L is absolutely worthless, and you need either an EAD (work permit) or a greencard to get a license. It's only valid as long as your immigration paperwork is, plus you must take 4 hrs of drug-alcohol class / written test / driving test.

What's worse is that you get no insurance credit for years of driving experience acquired outside the US, so in our case, the wife pays $1000 every 6 months for insurance, just like if she were a 16 year old  :o
RU citizen can get an international DL while still in Russia. It is recognized here in Florida. No work permit or green card needed. You are correct in regard to insurance though - they do not recognize a person's prior driving experience outside the US.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi

Yep, in Florida an RU D/L is absolutely worthless, and you need either an EAD (work permit) or a greencard to get a license. It's only valid as long as your immigration paperwork is, plus you must take 4 hrs of drug-alcohol class / written test / driving test.

What's worse is that you get no insurance credit for years of driving experience acquired outside the US, so in our case, the wife pays $1000 every 6 months for insurance, just like if she were a 16 year old  :o
RU citizen can get an international DL while still in Russia. It is recognized here in Florida. No work permit or green card needed. You are correct in regard to insurance though - they do not recognize a person's prior driving experience outside the US.

And do they consider the RU licence most likely was obtained by a bribe! ;)

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline sashathecat

You don't need to tell your insurance company that your wife had a foreign DL or has never driven in her life. You are adding your spouse who is a resident to your policy.

Offline bigdaddy71978

• Spouses Country: Unknown yet
  • Trips: None Yet
Residents With An Out-Of-Country License

The United States signed an agreement with many other countries to honor a foreign driver license for visitors to the United States for at least one year from the date of arrival. This privilege is made possible as a result of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (Geneva, 1949), and the Convention on the Regulation of American Automotive Traffic (Washington, 1943), both of which have been ratified by the United States.

An out-of-country driver's license cannot be used for identification purposes. You do not have to surrender an out-of-country license if you are issued an Indiana driver's license, permit, or identification card.

If you have an out-of-country driver's license and intend to become a resident of Indiana or meet Indiana residency requirements, you must pass the vision screening test, written knowledge test, and driving skills test to obtain an Indiana driver's license.

All documents proving your identity, Social Security number, lawful status, and Indiana residency will be verified through a central verification process. The BMV will issue an interim license, valid for 30 days, authorizing the holder to drive pending authentication of documents submitted to BMV.

When your documents are verified, the BMV will mail the license, permit, or identification card to you. If the documents cannot be verified, you will receive a letter explaining the determination and your rights to request an administrative hearing to review the determination. No refunds will be issued in the case of documents that cannot be verified.

Apparently in Indiana a foreign license is not accepted (that's kinda good because when I find my future MRS. I WILL teach her HOW to PROPERLY drive) :)

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com

You don't need to tell your insurance company that your wife had a foreign DL or has never driven in her life. You are adding your spouse who is a resident to your policy.
Sasha, I wasn't talking about my wife or a K-1 bride, rather any woman who happens to come here, for whatever reason.

Offline sashathecat

Sasha, I wasn't talking about my wife or a K-1 bride, rather any woman who happens to come here, for whatever reason.

What I was insinuating applies to any person entering the country. No need to volunteer information that is not necessary is my point.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com

What I was insinuating applies to any person entering the country. No need to volunteer information that is not necessary is my point.
I agree with not volunteering info more than you have to. However even if your Russian driving record is perfect they will still treat you as if you have no previous driving record as far as I know, and quote you accordingly.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
I always had thought it was an EU convention that residents of non-EU nations who are Vienna Convention members who become resident in EU nations had to re-take a driving test after six months

Over the weekend SC was told in FR that having become resident the DL could simply be exchanged ? ! ..I did not believe it - but TWO RU ladies resident in FR confirmed that is what they'd done !

Also, IRL does not permit Russians to drive on their RU licences - other than hire cars and with a IDP ? 

Can this be true ?

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

So you can buy a licence in Russia and then exchange it for a European one?

Glad we are leaving the EU in 2 days.  tiphat
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
It was a Q re a Russian who HAS a full driver's licence and the UK leaving the EU on Friday only means another 11 months of still conforming to EU Directives and standards..

I am thinking of getting either a place in IRL or FR and having an EU registered vehicle or two..

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea

there is no such european law. each country has its own rules. nl does require a re-exam after 6 months
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED

there is no such european law. each country has its own rules. nl does require a re-exam after 6 months

Hmm,

this is all new to me ... there IS an EU-wide Directive 2006/126/EC

This part - from wiki - is interesting

"The exception is for those holding EEA driving licences issued in exchange for a non‑EEA licence. When holding a converted licence, one should not assume the licence can be exchanged when moving to another EEA country. This only applies when permanently relocating to a different EEA country"

Must dig deeper

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
Here the wife needed to test as new driver and go through the same process.
Insurance also treated her as a new driver, so pricy.
5 years of driving now, all restrictions removed from Lic.
hopefully insurance rates go down this year.
paying double to triple what I pay is not fun.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev

In the Netherlands how Mark notes, is how I expierenced the rules.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Comecon.Chic

• Spouses Country: Who knows
  • Trips: Resident
In my country, Russians buy a property and when resident can apply to change their Russian licence for a BG after six months.

There is also a condition they produce proof of a school leaving certificate

Offline dorbradavid

• Professor and Sailor
  • Spouses Country: United States
This is the case in the midwest. My ex drove for a year (I kept trying to get her to prepare and take her local driving test, she didn't wanna).  :king:

Residents With An Out-Of-Country License

The United States signed an agreement with many other countries to honor a foreign driver license for visitors to the United States for at least one year from the date of arrival. This privilege is made possible as a result of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (Geneva, 1949), and the Convention on the Regulation of American Automotive Traffic (Washington, 1943), both of which have been ratified by the United States.

An out-of-country driver's license cannot be used for identification purposes. You do not have to surrender an out-of-country license if you are issued an Indiana driver's license, permit, or identification card.

If you have an out-of-country driver's license and intend to become a resident of Indiana or meet Indiana residency requirements, you must pass the vision screening test, written knowledge test, and driving skills test to obtain an Indiana driver's license.

All documents proving your identity, Social Security number, lawful status, and Indiana residency will be verified through a central verification process. The BMV will issue an interim license, valid for 30 days, authorizing the holder to drive pending authentication of documents submitted to BMV.

When your documents are verified, the BMV will mail the license, permit, or identification card to you. If the documents cannot be verified, you will receive a letter explaining the determination and your rights to request an administrative hearing to review the determination. No refunds will be issued in the case of documents that cannot be verified.

Apparently in Indiana a foreign license is not accepted (that's kinda good because when I find my future MRS. I WILL teach her HOW to PROPERLY drive) :)
Dobra David

Registration