The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Chernobyl - Чернобыль - При́пять - Pripyat  (Read 12575 times)

Offline ldelo

Re: Chernobyl - Чернобыль
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2009, 07:02:12 PM »
The Lake Karachay incident is generally considered to be Chernobyl-like.

Idelo, nice addition to the thread as it contained some good information.  I had to smile at the above quote as I was thinking of the poor city of Chelyabinsk as it has so many infamous tourist attractions nearby  :scared0005:.  

Thanks (I think?)

I did post some other ramblings over in the Chelyabinsk area.

I believe you posted over there as well, I was curious how you (or whomever it was who had spent time in Chelyabinsk) perceived the situation over there.

I believe the Karachay incident irradiated on the order of 500,000 sqaure kilometers and there were tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people involved and irradiated.

At Mayak and the related facilities in that general area they simply dumped their nuclear wastes into the local river(s) for a long time, until they were more or less pressured into stopping that practice.

At which point they started using Karachay instead of the rivers, which (combined with a drought that dried up Karachay) is what caused the Karachay incident.

Offline skiingandrunning

• Meмber
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2009, 08:17:47 PM »
I was curious how you (or whomever it was who had spent time in Chelyabinsk) perceived the situation over there.

I would say that they have the typical Russian resignation that comes with not really liking the situation, but realizing they can not do anything to change it.  I remember the reaction of my friends mother when she told her she was going to drive me up to Karabash (it was something similar to, "are you crazy, why would anyone want to see that"). 

Offline ldelo

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 02:31:59 PM »
I meant to come back here and post an apology and correction.

MarkJe (you are/were) correct in part about parts of western Europe being irradiated somewhat disproportionately.

And of course the converse is, I was wrong (to some extent.)

What happened is that the plume tended to dump the heavier particulate matter and some other stuff relatively close to Chernobyl. That's what dosed and contaminated large swaths of the Ukraine, Beloruss, and parts of western Russia.

And those were and are far and away the most heavily dosed/contaminated areas.

However, once having shed the heavier/larger particulate load, the plume was blown about with the prevailing winds and tended to only "dump" radioactive materials when rain passed through the plume and carried the material downward.

Thus certain areas rather remote from Chernobyl received a disproportionate dosing even though the plume had already passed over other areas with little effect.

Hmmm... crow doesn't taste good no matter what anyone says, and no salt does not improve the taste...

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
Anchors Rewoven

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: Chernobyl - Чернобыль - При́пять - Pripyat
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »
Awesome. Thanks for posting, Slumba. It was eerie to see it from the ground but it's even eerie from the air.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2015, 12:29:45 PM »

(Attachment Link)
Evac vehicles left because of radiation.

I just happened upon this site with some interesting photos of vehicles and aircraft still at at Chernobyl: http://www.gleems.com/599111/16-shocking-pictures-of-the-abandoned-vehicles-of-chernobyl/

(One of those sites with pop ups and other annoyances unfortunately - I still got a few but my software blocked 15).
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........