The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian marriage agencies from the female perspective  (Read 3103 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Russian marriage agencies from the female perspective
« on: August 27, 2009, 08:54:40 PM »

I'm not that good at reading Ukrainian, but can muddle around it just enough to be seriously dangerous. So if I missed something we most certainly invite our Ukrainian members to set it straight. When I first saw this sign it made me ponder about how a lady might react.

Lets approach this sign from the woman's perspective.

Lets say you live in Kharkov (or Kharkov as the Russians spell it). You're an attractive lady and unattached. One day while entering a Metro station you glance over at an approved advertising sign (advertising sign = реклама знак or "re-klama znahk") and see this ad for a wedding agency (брачнa агенція is Ukrainian). The sign intrigues the young lady.

I can't claim to be an expert on the Mordison Wedding Agency but can understand why they use their English spelling instead of Мордисон. The English "Mordison" infers knowledge, expertise and experience. It screams to a Ukrainian lass, "come to us because we're from the West. We know what we're doing."

It also very obviously recruits ladies who want to find a husband from abroad. Just under the Mordison name is a line which reads "заміж до европи сша канади" and that is Ukrainian for "husband from Europe, USA and Canada."

The ad goes on to tout a package that includes a studio photo, internet access and translation services. It doesn't appear that the girl has to pay anything but perhaps she is after contacting the agency. Phone numbers are included at bottom right.

So off I surfed to the Mordison website. I could really care less about whether this is a good agency, bad agency, or in between. I am very curious about how they (and other agencies) recruit ladies.

Here is what their website says "A Mordinson Introduction invests the professional advertisement campaign that has the unique capability to attract spectacular young women on your behalf. We have already attracted and professionally screened 200 female clients who are ready for a new life with a potential partner. This number is optimal for you to have a good choice and to keep the service personal."

From their website and photos it appears that they bring guys into group parties much like a tour party but without the "tour" in order to meet several ladies at one time. Okay, so they're a "throw it all against the wall kind of service and see if anything sticks." Fine, again this thread is not about Mordison. Its about the motivations and thinking processes of the ladies and why they choose a particular agency over another.

So I went to several sites and was surprised to see that most are focused entirely on Western men. It took about 7-8 agency searches to finally find one which had a message to the ladies. The site was (I know virtually nothing about their reputation) called www.BrideinRussia.com

Here is what they say to prospective ladies:
Вы хотите найти свою любовь, обрести счастье, семейное тепло и уют, покой и стабильность? Вы мечтаете о новый чувствах, романтике, таинственности? Вы желаете познакомиться с тем единственным мужчиной, котоый бы боготворил Вас, искренне любил Вас и заботился о Вас? Или может быть, встретить хорошего отца для Ваших детей? Значит, Вы попали сюда не случайно. Познакомится с иностранцем. Завести переписку с иностранцем. Выйти замуж за иностранца. Все это реально. Наша служба знакомств Вам поможет.

Наши услуги для женщин бесплатны. Вам достаточно заполнить анкету, прикрепив к ней до 3 фотографий. В дальнейшем Вы сможете добавить или заменить фотографии. Чем больше фотографий Вы вложите, тем больше увеличатся Ваши шансы. Предпочтительны фотографии в формате .jpeg, портрет и полный рост. Прежде чем разместить Ваши данные Вам позвонит наш представитель, чтобы их проверить.

Here is the readers digest version: Do you desire love, happiness, family warmth, and stability? Do you dream about inner feelings, romance and mystery? Do you hope to get acquainted with one special man who will adore you, sincerely love and care for you? Do you hope to meet a good father for your children? These are things which don't happen easily here.

We help you get acquainted with a foreign men by correspondence and then marriage. This can really happen and our agency will help you. Our services for ladies are free-of-charge. It is necessary for you to complete the questionnaire, and attach up to 3 photos. In the future you can add or replace photos. The more photos you enclose, the your chances more will increase. Before we place your data one of our representatives will call to confirm your data and availablitity.

Back to the advertising sign at the Metro station.

The red cursive writing proclaims, We want you to be happy!

So in thinking of this from the female perspective...

What about marriage to a Western man could make a lady happy?

What "triggers" a girl to respond to any agency's advertising?

Do you feel that a girl will list herself both with local Russian/Ukrainian sites and a Western focused sight?

Why do some ladies use only a Western site while other ladies use only local sites?

If a lady lists with a Western site, do you think she has a preference of Europe, USA or Canada?

Are the benefits of the package features that promise a studio photo, internet access and translation services of interest to a young lady?

If of interest, are these features significant enough to draw in an interested lady, or can she get them anywhere?

Offline alenika

Re: Russian marriage agencies from the female perspective
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 10:20:30 PM »
Very interesting topic mendy, thanks  :)
I close eyes to see better

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:48:57 PM »
С удовольствием, Аленика. Пожалуйста.   tiphat

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 11:42:29 PM »
This is good stuff, Mendy.  tiphat

Now, perhaps some of our esteemed FSUW might give some insight in return? :)

I know there is sticky 'Ladies, why a foreign man?' thread, but it's interesting to see the marketing of it.  Of course, it is nice to know that at least what you have found does not shout "Live rich, now!" :)

Offline Stubben

• Meмber
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 02:48:59 AM »
It would be very interesting to hear some of the ladies thoughts...  :popcorn: