The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Manny's trip report to Estonia. (via Poland, Lithuania & Latvia)  (Read 12363 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
OK not a trip report such as you normally read..........

I am driving to our pad in Estonia with a spare car to leave there and a van full of furniture leaving Friday 13th.  :o

I will have a pal of mine in tow who likes the idea of an RW, who wants to see some in their natural habitat en route.  ;D

After our side of Europe, this little sojourn will be taking us through Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and the whole length of Estonia. (Going around Kaliningrad as you cant go through there without a transit visa)

I wondered if a minor commentary with a few pics en route may be interesting? Not women hunting as such but I thought it may be interesting for folk to see/read about the lesser trod side of the FSU?

Whadda we think?

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Bobalouie

• Names Ash....Housewares
Re: Manny's trip report to Estonia. (via Poland, Lithuania & Latvia)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:43:25 AM »
I would be interested in that...I am always interested in seeing stuff that is off the beaten path.
Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!

Offline kleeb

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 07:38:24 PM »
     Sounds really interesting. I would like to see pictures also.  Lee

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 04:57:42 AM »
I guess I will take a few then and make a few notes en route.

Last time I drove this route was before the Baltic's were EU and there were 4-6 hour waits at the borders, unless you qualified to join the VIP lane.

It usually was a brown envelope of dollars that allowed one to join the VIP lane.  ;D

I recall the VIP lanes were busy with large Russian Registered car transporters carrying European registered cars most of which had window and/or lock damage, some even had the alarms singing.  :D

I later read in the Baltic Times that this was the popular route for European stolen cars to back door it into Russia without documentation. I recall Putins comment about the growing problem at the time was "its not Russia's responsibility to play Policeman to Europe, it is Europe who should stop this trade whilst the vehicles are still in Europe - once they are in Russia they can have registration." 

Last time some Bandits tried (and failed thankfully) to run us off the road in the Lithuanian forests. We encountered trouble at one of the borders as the border guard had never seen a Gibraltar registered right hand drive van and had us there some time whilst he did some "checks". The fine at the time for unspecified traffic and document  contraventions was $16.  ;D

I gather since EU membership all this has cleaned up somewhat now, we shall see.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 03:10:58 PM »
So preparations are underway, (which is me changing filters and mending the exhaust on the van whilst profusely swearing) - Mrs Manny is preparing also, choosing which sunglasses to pack, she is off to Russia by plane to visit the folks in a couple of days and she will hook up with me again in Estonia in about ten days time. I got the short straw, the 1740 mile (2780 km) drive each way, she gets the plane. 

The van is loaded to the gills with all kinds of stuff, very heavy, I just hope I can avoid having it unloaded in a customs check en route.

Shadow_Mas, if you want a Volga bringing back, nows your chance! Anyone reading who wants anything else reasonably legal bringing back and dropping off on the route below, do PM me.   :money:

So heres the route.  :plane:

ila_rendered

(The top map has a small route error, the bit below the 'L' in Lithuania is Kaliningrad, part of Russia, so we have to drive round that bit, more towards Vilnius.)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 02:40:14 AM »
(The top map has a small route error, the bit below the 'L' in Lithuania is Kaliningrad, part of Russia, so we have to drive round that bit, more towards Vilnius.)

The map has more errors, I'm amazed at the location of Amsterdam :P
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 05:13:45 PM »
So Mrs Manny is in Russia now having facials, make up stuff and saunas with her pals. Its the first time she has been in Russia since the middle of last year. Her observation of it today on the phone was "just like you always said darling, dirty and grey, I couldn't see it before but, after England, now I can"

She will be weekending with her Parents at their dacha by the Volga River. My van is now ready to go and I am working on the car that is going now. (The car will be staying there so we can get about in the future without taxis) - I bought European breakdown insurance just in case, but the plan is if one vehicle breaks down, the other will tow it to civilisation to be fixed. Euros are ordered (for the fuel bill across Europe), the firm says my Internet/phone/TV will be on when I arrive so I should be able to update when I get there.

The hotel plan en route is undecided, I didn't want to book one in case we went slow or fast on the way and either missed it or stopped 3 hours before we could have done. Last time I did this drive there were 3 of us in one van, we took the overnight ferry to Rotterdam (Holland) and shift drove all the way to Riga in Latvia where we got a hotel.

This time is different, we are leaving Thursday night about midnight to get to the Channel Tunnel (To France) for 5am ish, so we will be in France at 6-30/7am (30/45 Min's travel plus 1 hour time difference) - It is my hope to be just in Poland by nightfall leaving France, touching Belgium and Holland and passing through Germany via the Berlin Ring Road. After driving all night from Blighty, it makes sense to stop off in Germany or Poland depending on traffic for one good nights sleep in a hotel. If we need a second night in a hotel remains to be seen. Probably we will, that will be in Lithuania or Latvia.

It will be ideal to arrive in Estonia in the morning, as the flat is new and has no light fittings, the guy Sam, who is coming with me, and driving the car, is an electrician and will be fitting the Ikea lights we have in the van. We must also unload the beds and furniture in order to have somewhere to sleep that first night  there. So taking it slow and sleeping two nights in hotels en route makes more sense, so we arrive refreshed. From last time, I think the last night should be in Latvia as Riga is 6 hours from Tallinn, that way we would arrive just after lunch and still in daylight to fit the new lights.

However, last time I did this drive, much of it was on concrete sectional roads through Polish villages, pre EU, I am told now the EU has funded some new roads (freeway - motorway) to bypass many villages so I don't know how fast it will be. Hence the confusion as to where to stop for the night.

So the situation now is on Friday morning when we arrive in France, it is all guesswork until arrival in Estonia. The camera will be with me so it is my plan to photograph anything noteworthy as we go. Maybe the first ones will be the Channel Tunnel as the Yanks reading this may never have seen the tunnel between England and France?

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 09:36:10 AM »
So for those who don't know, the channel tunnel between England and France is basically a drive on freight train, so after leaving after midnight, getting to Folkestone in the South of England around 5am, we got on the tunnel..............

And off 40 minutes later in France.............

And through the border of Belgium about an hour later...........

Then into the tip of Holland for a little while near Eindhoven, heading towards Germany. As we were trying to make fast time East, most of this was road and nothing of note across the West of Germany except the appalling traffic on the wonderfully efficient Autobahns and the German Police Officers, half of whom fall into jackbooted wannabe Nazi's (one of whom I met on the way back) and healthy specimens such as this chap busily directing traffic whilst looking the wrong way.

I thought his profile, not unlike Alfred Hitchcock rather amusing, so he was captured for posterity by Mannycam whilst holding me up as another Helmut's Mercedes was extricated from a ditch at the side of the road.

Driving in Germany is not as progressive as you may imagine; yes the Autobahns are fast as advertised, but only until some dozy Helmut spots a field he would like to get naked in, (as Germans do, usually sporting leather caps) and flips his Mercedes onto its roof. Everything is then clogged up for two hours while Police Officers with the enthusiasm of the guy above, hose and scrape whats left of him and his car off the road. After you get going you get the roadworks where everything bottlenecks down to one lane at a moments notice, as a consequence of this, often there is another Helmut in his silver Mercedes embedded in the central reservation upside down wondering what happened.  So in practice, driving through Germany can be quite irritating and one needs to adopt the favoured habit of the locals and get out of the car in the traffic jams to chat to each other, smoke and discuss leather caps worn at jaunty angles.

The women? In the West of Germany, forget it! Shall I say I can see why Germans are poking around Russia looking to procure some better genetics.  ;D

Next bit is past the old Berlin Wall area into the East of Germany and the dreaded Berlin Ring Road....................

Offline Nikolai

• Designing/Hosting web sites
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 06:42:49 AM »
cool stuff Stuart !
waiting for a second part of your adventures! :)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 08:11:13 AM »
LOL Good stuff!
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 08:16:42 AM »
............. So we approach the Berlin ring road, an orbital road around Berlin as the name suggests. Last time I drove here it was awfully busy and often stationary, I hoped it wouldn't be, I was wrong, it was like a damn car park.

After 30 minutes sat in traffic after driving for 18 hours or so, the Mercedes car we had taken began to overheat (as the viscous coupling was not stiffening up as it should) - We ended up on the hard shoulder (breakdown lane) amongst the roadkill whilst contemplating the situation amidst the clouds of steam. I suspected it had done the head gasket or the head itself and the radiator was leaking also, it didn't look good.

At this point is when the Germans started leaning out of cars yelling, jeering, gesticulating and shouting. Seemingly two UK registered vehicles sat in the breakdown lane caused them great amusement.

I decided that the only way to cool the car down some rather than wait 2 hours was movement of air past the radiator at low speed, but the traffic was stationary. So we set off in the hard shoulder to the anger of the jeering Germans. Soon the car was cooling some at 20mph and we were moving much faster than the standing traffic and making progress, the Germans were hopping on behind us not wanting to be left out of getting ahead I guess. I thought if we saw a cop we could show him the temperature gauge and explain and it may be OK, this time there was no cops. However soon the car overheated again so we came off near Brandenburg and sought out a little hotel that had beds, a restaurant and a bar. The car could cool off overnight and we would think about it with new eyes the next day. It took us 18 hours from Manchester to Berlin, that was more than enough for one day. Next morning, the car was topped up with water and working fine! ;D As long as we kept it out of standing traffic too long it would be OK I thought.

In the little hotel we found was a waitress who had no English and a limited grasp of my schoolboy German. The more I looked at her (as my copilot was drooling with his tongue on the floor) I thought she looked Russian. (The jewel encrusted talon nails, heels and cheekbones gave it away!) I tried her with "excuse me" and "meine frau" to get some service but to no avail. So I tried "Dyevooskha!" "Da" she replied. So Manny's wine then arrived without difficulty!  ;D

Its surprising where smokinhotkova's turn up. Later it seemed everyone spoke Russian in the hotel. Quite common apparently in the East of Germany.

So, progressing across East Germany toward the Poland border reveals a lot of East Germany is not unlike Russia in appearance. New refurbishment of old buildings like this going on..........

Directly opposite Soviet style scenes like this..............

and this......................

And there are even a few Trabants knocking around still...............

So progress was made, the car behaved OK until we got to the border control queue of Poland...........

At which point it started getting hot again in the queue, so to avoid a repeat of yesterday, I hooked it up with a tow chain to my van and towed it (engine off) down the queue and over passport control. It did confuse the border guards somewhat, who must have wondered if we towed it from England like that!  ;D

If you are driving to this border, get in the truck queue, or any queue that is faster moving, it looks like they go to different points but they converge side by side near the check point and you can nip in and save a long wait as long as you are not peturbed by a horn blast or two from a disgruntled Helmut who is no doubt itching to get into a field in his leather cap and get naked. If they get narky, just remind them who won the war!  ;D

So now into Poland.........................

Offline Chris

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 08:34:13 AM »
Maybe you should have swapped the Merc for a nice reliable Trabant great trip report!
Слава Україні

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 08:35:24 AM »
good story Manny, keep posting! :)
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Manny

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 10:09:42 AM »
When you cross the border into Poland it is like flicking a switch, suddenly everyone abandons all the good driving behaviour imposed on them in Germany, takes a crazy pill, and adopts banger racing techniques. Driving in Poland is worthy of a post in itself.

At first glance, the Polish truly drive with a terrifyingly self destructive style, 2 lane roads with half lanes at each side are the norm, and you may imagine one lane (and a bit) each way sounds like a normal road, controlled by traffic lights, speed limits and polite  decorum. You would be wrong.

Add to the Polish, passing French, Dutch, Germans, Lithuanians, Latvians, Estonians, Russians, Ukrainians and Belarusian’s, not to mention a couple of Brits, add them all together, throw in many articulated car transporters and 44 tonne trucks, tractors, horses and carts, Trabants and Fiat 500’s. Ignore speed limits, ignore which side of the road you should be on, manners, what side you should overtake on, rights of way etc. Oh and no traffic cops. But they do have a wooden painted cut out of a Police car by a tree on the main drag; that will be the Polish answer to policing the roads.

Mix all this lot together and adopt a sense of “see a gap and head for it” and the thing turns into a real life ‘Wacky Races’ crossed with the Gumball Rally. I have done this drive before and knew what to expect, but that being the case, you lurk as far right as you can, straddling the half lane in the shallows until you get your confidence and aggression up.

Markje – you don’t know what you have in store!  :)

Now this part is difficult to photograph meaningfully on the move as you need 100% concentration. Take a road like this……………(yes I was on the wrong side of the road!)

Which of course is brand new funded by EU grants as the signs proclaim every few miles. Many are old and in poor (think Russian) condition though, but the idea is the same.

You dear reader may imagine you have overtaking sussed, dead simple isn’t it? Not in Poland! How about three or four cars overtaking each other at once, at 60-90mph, against oncoming traffic? I kid you not! I managed to get a snap of a mild treble overtake……..

I have also seen here a Russian registered articulated car transporter overtaking three cars like this, oblivious to the oncoming traffic who is forced into the grass to pass.

What happens next? Ahh yes, there are roadside vegetable and honey sellers, people just screech to a dead stop, hop out for a jar of honey and three potatoes oblivious what happens behind and around them. If you get the chance, stop and buy some stuff from these people, they seem very poor and look as if they need the cash, but more to the point, they take their life in their hands each day sitting by these roads. I am sure more than once a Lada or Gaz van has ploughed into one of them leaving them upside down in a field thinking "What happened? Where are my Potatoes?"  ;D

Minor things like the crest of hills and blind bends does not put them off, nor does darkness or thunderstorms, everyone just carries on. Last time I did this drive in the snow and it was just the same then.

However, daft as it may sound, this system is actually rather self regulating when you work out the rules. The bigger you are the greater priority you are afforded by other road users, those with big fast cars can feel free to use the acceleration to get out of trouble, if you are being overtook (even while you are overtaking yourself) just pull as far right as you can, as will the car next to you, if he wants to go, let him! Small crappy Fiats, Trabants and Ladas know their place and chug along hugging the grass while the trucks thunder by in the middle of the road and Audi A8’s wail by the trucks on the opposite side of the road altogether.

Despite this behaviour, there is almost no horn sounding, everyone seems to have worked out the rules and abides by them. When you approach a hill or a blind bend, keep tight right as a truck may well sail over it on the wrong side of the road flat out, but just expect it and accept it and you soon get the knack of it. When you see three or four sets of headlights approaching side by side, just keep right, slow down if necessary to let them by, you will be afforded the same courtesy when you misjudge the oncoming traffic. If you misjudge an overtake and have to drop back and abandon it, the guy behind will drop back and let you in, lest you be pate. Do the same for someone else.

Tip for anyone driving through Poland, when you see the EU funded toll road signs, take it and pay! It bypasses many miles and villages and increases your chances of getting across in one piece. It is a new wide quiet road in superb condition, it starts near Poznan and currently finishes somewhere near Warsaw. There are many exits and if you do the whole length of it you will pay 3 times. They take Zloty and Euros and cards.

Of course there are casualties, I saw several cars in ditches, one upside down and one on fire, but conversely I travelled a similar distance across Poland as I did across Germany and I saw many more accidents in Germany. Work that one out. I guess the roadside hookers can be a bit of a distraction too, there is a pic of those tomorrow together with a little about the smokinhotpolski women!  ;D

Offline Chris

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 12:28:40 PM »
Quote from: Manchester
Ignore speed limits, ignore which side of the road you should be on, manners, what side you should overtake on, rights of way etc. Oh and no traffic cops.

Markeje I hope you are reading this, the road from Kiev to Kharkov is just the same, overtaking on the wrong side of a dual carriageway at night with no lights is pretty much par for the course ;) certainly not for the faint hearted
Слава Україні

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 12:35:46 PM »
Markeje I hope you are reading this, the road from Kiev to Kharkov is just the same, overtaking on the wrong side of a dual carriageway at night with no lights is pretty much par for the course ;) certainly not for the faint hearted

Heh, woe the car that approaches me with no lights. I will use the I-beams until I see headlights in the distance approaching me  :-\
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 08:48:09 AM »
So Poland then! I have covered the driving technique, so now about the place.

As you cross the border noticing you have immediately gone one step further East than East Germany, you begin to see the disparities of a tiger economy such as Poland, shrivelled little old men selling pots of honey by the roadside and brand new Audi A8's wailing by is a simplistic example. There is a lot of new money and prosperity in Poland also, and more than a sprinkling of Russian money from what I can see.

The idea is to gasp over the border on petrol fumes from expensive Germany and fill up at the first petrol station you see at cheaper money. I found one sign posted off the road, I drove onto the forecourt to find a little place with a bar attached and a little shop and attendant service. Whilst poking around this place I then noticed the first of many smokinhotpolskis strutting around, often with men, thats not the point, we are talking Russian standard smokinhotpolskis! Then I watched a Polish registered people carrier with dark windows pull up for fuel, the side door opened, out popped another 6 smokinhotpolskis! The petrol station forecourt looked like a modelling contest!  ;D

So going back on to the road, past roadside shops selling awful wooden windmills and large plastic garden gnomes and other cheap garden tat, one then encounters walking by the roadside, many young ladies eager to refresh the weary passing motorist in exchange for currency. My co-pilot in the other vehicle decided he would ask them to pose for a pic, the blonde turned her back, the other one decided to demonstrate her uninviting wares.

He was getting giddy the lad, he was just entering Eastern Europe for the first time.  ;D

So continuing, we observed that many folk live in dacha style shacks and grow their own vegetables at the front, a very natural lifestyle if you like that kind of thing...........

And the usual Soviet style flats are in every town..............

And many elaborate catholic memorial things in obscure fields. Maybe someone could tell me what that is all about? Blessing crops perhaps?

Also many nice churches...............

People with larger houses with a sense of humour when it comes to garden art, obviously a reflection of the driving experience in Poland..............

And more roadside sellers, some of whom are happy to pose for strange passing foreigners...........

Well you guys said get pics!  ;D

Passing through Warsaw....................

After the long toll road as mentioned prior, it was time to stop for the second night, quite by chance, we found a fantastic hotel called Kamiza that is very cheap, very smokinhot staff, some of whom speak Russian and English. My co-pilot befriended one called Sylvia, another smokinhotpolski. I can highly recommend this hotel if anyone is passing. The link to their site can be found here and it looks like this.............

........... and is on the main drag in Brańszczyk, which is before Białystok on this route. I like Poland very much, I have been several times. I shall be going again. Poland is very cheap now, but within 2 or 3 years it will have caught up to Germany pretty much in many ways, now is the time to go, and maybe even invest also I think.

An interesting side note whilst everyone is running to Ukraine and Russia; consider Poland! - There are many smokinhot women, Poles by nature are not adverse to relocation, history has shown that. There are many slavic (or Slavic looking) women there, many speak English, many speak Russian, in fact there seem to be many RW there also, exactly why I am not sure, I am unfamiliar with the movement of people over the years in this part of the world or the genetic makeup of Poles, but from what I have seen, it is definately worth a look.

Another note is most of the petrol stations have bars attached, this may account for the driving technique, I guess everyone is drunk.  ;D

But moving on..............

By lunchtime we had reached the border area where Poland meets Lithuiania, Kaliningrad is over to the left, Belarus is over to the right, they even helpfully show country codes on the road signs in this region........

And then its up to the border with Lithuania, the entry point on this journey into the Former Soviet Union.........

No problems there, quite fast, next into Lithuiania & Latvia...........................

Offline Jinx

• Watched
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 03:06:10 PM »
 Manny,

Loving the trip report, it's not often we get to see a road trip from the ground level...very cool!  Keep the pics coming, more is better, especially if they are of smokinhotkova's  :)   but don't get yourself in trouble with the wife on our account, blame it all on your co-pilot  ;)

Offline Manny

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 04:20:37 PM »
Manny,

Loving the trip report, it's not often we get to see a road trip from the ground level...very cool!  Keep the pics coming, more is better, especially if they are of smokinhotkova's  :)   but don't get yourself in trouble with the wife on our account, blame it all on your co-pilot  ;)

Yeah, he took all the girl pics, she already knows that! She examined all my pics and asked who took what already!  :-X

I have now sent my co-pilot a link and invited him here also.  ;D

Offline Manny

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 01:16:32 PM »
Lithuania & Latvia I shall cover together, we were through both of them within the day and our route bypassed by many miles the capital of Lithuania, Vilnius, where the action is there, and although Latvia's capital Riga is on the route, and the town had to be driven through last time I drove through, the new EU funded superhighway takes you around the outside of it and allows you to bypass it.

Lithuania and Latvia, are sparsely populated, much of the landscape is forest on the Baltic Sea coast side we travelled on, and of the FSU Baltic states that are Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, Lithuania is the poor cousin, out of the limelight so to speak, still very poor and still very corrupt as you will read. Remember we are now on the outer fringes of what was the Soviet Union and in order that the European traveller can pass through the endemic corruption to be found in this part of the world, the new EU pass through roads were a cheaper way to tackle this than tackle the source of said corruption.

I promised myself a detour this time over to Vilnius as I wanted to check out some investment opportunities but I decided to stay on the straight north route to Estonia expecting to stay the next night in Latvia (based on past experience) as I wanted to be in time for Mrs Manny's arrival from Russia with furniture in situ when she arrived.

So as I said at the beginning, in the past, Lithuania was bandit country where you could, especially at night, be hauled over by another vehicle at gunpoint in the forest and be left at the side of the road in your underwear sans vehicles and belongings, this time I saw no evidence of that (although I didn't drive at night there by planning)

So, whats Lithuania & Latvia like? Well most of it on the western side north heading Baltic coast road is like this......................

And this.................

My co-pilot and I did however notice that the women in the towns were getting progressively slimmer and nicer..............

However, these pics are a bad representation as we are not accustomed to taking pictures of young ladies ad hoc whilst driving! These were by no means the more smokin' examples, but trust me, from halfway across Poland the women get progressively slimmer, more smokin' and more Russian looking!  ;D

And a curious point was that we saw many women pushing prams and trolleys with very young children in and most of them had regained what we imagine to be the pre baby shape soon after junior has arrived in the world..................

I only mention this as it is a consideration factor for wife hunters in this part of the world wondering about differing genetics and post baby fat retention. Very slim women with very young babies is what we saw here, and enough of them to make it noteworthy! Food for thought gentlemen!

However, moving through Lithuania towards the border with Latvia, I saw a scene like this (too late)

(This pic was took on the way back for demonstration purposes) - Yes indeed, the friendly neighbourhood traffic cop hiding behind his car with a speed gun. The limit on these empty roads (that incidentally have no signs to tell you) is 90kph, we were apparently doing 140kph. So out jumped Officer Dibbleski with his little round lollipop baton and waved me down.  >:(

Being the smart arse I am, I assumed he would see English registration plates (very rare indeed in this part of the world as are right hand drive vehicles), probably have no English, I would proclaim no other language and the frustration would make him wave me on. He rattled on in Lithuanian for a moment, I grinned and said "English" pointing to the registration plates, he said "ah English? no problem! I clocked you at 140, the limit is 90, I will make you a ticket"  :-\

He then proceeded to check my Passport and vehicle documents and went into a long convoluted story about how he 'makes a ticket' and the price is 150 Euros, and how I must stay in Lithuania and the next day drive to Vilnius and go to a bank and then City Hall to pay and yada yada yada....... My attempts to explain that we were about 20 km from the Latvian border and we were heading for Estonia and would not be in the country the next day seemed to cut no ice..........

Then he said "of course, there is always the friendly way to deal with this". Then I understood. I asked "how much should the fine be again?" he replied "150 Euros" smiling. After a quick conflab with my co-pilot in fast slang Manchester English, I said "so 50 Euros now would cover it, no paperwork, and we can all get on with our day?" The way his face lit up, I immediately knew this was way too much, "Oh yes, that will be OK" he proclaimed. 50 Euros was exchanged and we went on our way to the border of Latvia.

Oh, and then we met a cow in the middle of the road, as you would expect anywhere really.................

(Excuse the crack in the windscreen!)

Latvia again was a very quiet border, as with the last one, they take your vehicle documents without the faintest clue what is what, they dont speak English, they just look intently at them in a well practised stern way whilst flicking through them, and hand them back to you and say "OK" - really you could pass them a menu from your local restaurant you get in your mailbox and they would be none the wiser.

So into Latvia.......................

We made good time through most of Latvia until............................

Offline Jinx

• Watched
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 04:25:30 PM »

I only mention this as it is a consideration factor for wife hunters in this part of the world wondering about differing genetics and post baby fat retention. Very slim women with very young babies is what we saw here, and enough of them to make it noteworthy! Food for thought gentlemen!

Manny,

Funny you should bring up the women after pregnancy thing...Nataly and I were at the airport in San Francisco waiting for her flight to JFK, and then to Kiev and we were looking to see who was Russian there.  It's become so easy to spot them for me now....dressed to kill, with high heels and big sunglasses (before a 14 hour flight) check, yep Russian...and then the young mom with her body already in perfect shape after baby is just a few months old, yep....definitely Russian  ;)   How the heck do they do that? Is it genetics, or do they just not eat?   ???

Don't worry about the pics of the girls, I know the ones you took photo's of don't even do justice to what you're seeing, anybody that's been to the FSU can relate, you can't just take photo's of smokinhotkova's even though they are everywhere, photo taking can be awkward, and if your worrying about it too much you miss out on other things. The only person who i know that takes successful photo's of hot FSU women is Jack, but I think thats a part time hobby of his.   ::)

Offline Manny

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 12:27:59 AM »
Indeed Mrs Manny has assured me that if we do procreate, getting back to her current shape is "no problem darling", when I point out English women toting around many pounds extra after a baby, it is met with derisory laughter.

Quote from: Jinx
dressed to kill, with high heels and big sunglasses (before a 14 hour flight) check,

Exactly how Mrs Manny travels!  ;D  Imagine Tallinn airport in Estonia, waiting at arrivals for the Moscow flight, out come about 200 women dressed this way, mostly blonde, leopard skin everywhere, all toting suitcases bigger than themselves.

Offline Manny

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 03:43:12 AM »
................................yes you guessed it! About 20km before the border of Estonia out from behind a car hiding behind a tree jumps another traffic cop waving his little baton!  >:(

Momentarily I started braking again, then I considered the prospect of another 50 Euros and thought "fu*k it!" and the pedal hit the metal again, I ignored him completely and sailed by him staring straight ahead. My thinking was..........

a) He would see foreign registration plates as I passed and forget it.
b) His car didn't look fast, I was near the border........
c) Maybe he didn't speak English.
d) My co-pilot, in the other car a little behind me could stall him a bit if he comes after me.
e) I had a head start at 90mph, he was out of his car with his gun, his partner looked asleep in the passenger seat, do the maths.
f) Whats the worst that could happen?

As with many great plans, it didn't quite work! I floored my van but it being 10 years old and full of 2 tons of furniture and crap, 95mph was its top speed, I adopted the afore mentioned Polish driving techniques to get ahead and put distance and other cars between me and him, 5 minutes later, with Officer Dibbleski not in my mirror and becoming a memory I was beginning to feel pleased.

My erstwhile co-pilot in the car had dropped back some as I passed the cop, he was treated to the view of what he described as "the cop doing his best 'Roscoe P Coltrane' impersonation, clutching his hat, springing across his car to engage in hot pursuit."

After what seemed an age, and very close to the Estonian border, Roscoe P Coltrane and his cohort caught me up and appeared in my side mirrors, blue lights blazing and headlights flashing................ so I ignored him and continued.  ;D

So he came alongside me, a little in front, hung bodily out of his window, waving his red lollipop baton. I guess I had to stop then, I couldn't pretend not to notice that! So I did.

He pulled up, scrambled from his car and approached the van breathless and obviously full of adrenalin after his 'hot pursuit', after establishing we were using English, he said "You saw me trying to stop you, why did you not stop?" I replied that I thought he was signalling another car and not me, I played daft tourist unaccustomed to such things. He had no choice other than to accept my explanation. So he went into the same crap as the Lithuanian cop about making tickets and me going to City Hall and a bank in Riga tomorrow yada yada.....

At which point my co-pilot had caught up and pulled up with us, another 6 foot plus Brit standing by his car grinning seemed to unnerve them a bit. I gather Latvia is a bit cleaner than Lithuania as regards corruption, these two cops were uncertain how to handle this I would say, they broke into a fast mumbled conversation between themselves in Russian about how to handle it. He asked me if I spoke Russian, I said no. He started looking at  my passport again, he then asked me "have you ever been stopped by the Police in Latvia before?" I said no. He started thumbing through the pages of my passport, then he found an old Russian Visa in there, his eyes popped out on stalks, this prompted an urgent sounding conversation between him and his partner with much pointing at the Russian Visa, he turned the page to find another Russian Visa! He then checked my insurance document again and noticed Mrs Manny's maiden surname on it and brought that to his partners attention also. The basic gist of the conversation I grasped was "This guy has been to Russia, there is a Russian name on his Insurance, he has driven up through these countries, he must know how these things work."

At this point I thought I would throw him a line, I said "although I have had no experience with the Police in Latvia, I have in Lithuania," my co-pilot chimed in "back there they prefer the friendly way", they both smiled and laughed and said "ah, the friendly way", "shall we say 20 Euros?" said my co-pilot, cool as custard, proffering a 20 Euro note through his open window, "drop it in the door pocket" said the cop indicating to said door pocket, as if not actually accepting the note with his hand somehow made him less corrupt, at which point I got my documents back and was told I could go.

My parting shot was "Spaciba Balshoy, Dosfidanya", I wish I had a picture of his crimson shocked face wondering how much of their conversation I understood. The answer would be very little, but he will never know.  ;D

I actually think bribery is a better method than paperwork and courts and driving licence endorsements, if only there were a faster and more certain way to do it - there is, one of my Russian pals in Estonia told me how you do it, it was so obvious after he told me, how many times have I seen it on TV? All you do it seems is when you give your documents, make sure there is a 20 Euro note in your Passport or licence, your documents get returned sans Euros, with a verbal warning, and off you go. That is how it is done in Russia.

The trick is to gauge the right amount of money in the various countries, and not to do it in the wrong one where you may get locked up for bribing a cop.

So, Estonian border control, they salute you there, how quaint, quick document check, "whats in the van?" they ask, and cant be bothered to look, the temptation to reply "3kg of Cocaine and 15 Ukrainian hookers" is hard to resist, but resist I did and we were into Estonia............

Offline kleeb

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 11:04:08 AM »
     I havn't read such a good trip report in years.  Lee

Offline Manny

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2007, 03:25:10 PM »
I am glad you are enjoying it Lee, you were one of the ones who showed interest and made me write it when I first asked about it, there is a little more yet, another cop, and a disturbing moment in Poland on the way back.

Judging by the view counter, there are a few others reading also.  ;D