The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How to be a Guest  (Read 36722 times)

Offline kerouac

Re: How to be a Guest
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2010, 02:14:42 AM »
Some great advice here. I found much of it to be the case. In particular, being brave and singing a song (even a pop or rock song) at a celebration can be a great way to impress. I'm going along to a Russian wedding reception soon, and have been told 'we must take some flowers'. But remember it's only odd numbers for happy occasions. 

Offline harry_

« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2010, 12:13:39 PM »
Very interesting thread!

I have a couple of questions though.

How does one handle not wanting to partake of certain foods?

For example: Mayonnaise, in most cases makes me gag. Personally, I would rather decline the dish than force my host to endure the inevitable look on my face.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2010, 07:43:16 AM »

I have a couple of questions though. How does one handle not wanting to partake of certain foods?

For example: Mayonnaise, in most cases makes me gag.

Personally, I would rather decline the dish than force my host to endure the inevitable look on my face.

Well, you can just say: "Excuse me, I don't like Rusisan \ Ukrainian mayonnaise..." - and hopefully nobody would force you to eat a dish containing that highly poisonous substance by pointing a Kalashnikov to your head or any other part of your body you might possibly value  :)

Though you might experience a difficulty in finding a dish NOT containing mayonnaise - but that's another story  :biggrin:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline harry_

« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2010, 08:07:31 AM »
Olga,

I was not implying that anyone would put a gun to my head......  :P  It is just what is tactful in one place, is not necessarily as tactful in another. :hidechair:

One of the things I did have a hard time explaining to people is that even though I am an American, and as such, generally eat like a horse, I cannot consume the vast amounts food offered when visiting a Ukrainian home.  I find myself rather full on about 1/3 the volume. No matter how hard I tried to explain it, it seemed that I was greeted with disbelief. :o

Offline Eyjafjallajökull

« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2010, 08:49:17 AM »
Olga,

I was not implying that anyone would put a gun to my head......  :P  It is just what is tactful in one place, is not necessarily as tactful in another. :hidechair:

One of the things I did have a hard time explaining to people is that even though I am an American, and as such, generally eat like a horse, I cannot consume the vast amounts food offered when visiting a Ukrainian home.  I find myself rather full on about 1/3 the volume. No matter how hard I tried to explain it, it seemed that I was greeted with disbelief. :o
LOL, it reminds me of a Ukrainian commercial. The "city" guy comes to his "village" fiancee and he has to prove her old-fashioned parents that he's not a weakling by quantity of food that he eats. He pulls it off since he has pills that support digestion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9QdCmnB95Y You are a lucky man, Harry, I thought it happens only in commercials these days. :laugh:
Once you go Ukraine, you'll scream with sex pain.

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2010, 09:10:56 AM »
Some great advice here. I found much of it to be the case. In particular, being brave and singing a song (even a pop or rock song) at a celebration can be a great way to impress. I'm going along to a Russian wedding reception soon, and have been told 'we must take some flowers'. But remember it's only odd numbers for happy occasions.  

Beatles songs usually go down well - even 'back in the USSR !'  -  Try to learn a russian folk song -even if you sing it in an english version - you'll achieve near 'hero' status - and they might forgive you for 'passing over the food' ...  *I* was more worried - rightly so - about how much Vodka 'they' expect you to consume :chuckle:
Russia doesn't have form for making stuff like this up.
He really did say that
Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2010, 09:27:41 AM »
If you are a first time guest in a home, or an "important" guest at a holiday meal, turning down food has it's problems. That is where a wife or g/f, combined with your compromising efforts too, try to shield you as much as possible.

Offline BlindAviator

« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2010, 10:01:45 PM »
I have been reading through these forums for a few days now and have found it all to be quite an eye opener.

Another question then... What if you are unable (for medical reasons) to drink alcohol at all??

I personally cannot drink any alcohol or I get violently ill (even small amounts)... So what would you do in that situation??  :rolleye0009:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2010, 10:14:37 PM »
Just don't drink. But explain very early, best even before you travel, that you have a medical condition preventing you from alcohol consumption. That will give the lady time to prepare her family for the reasons you cannot share in toasts, etc.

Russians/Ukrainians are among the most gracious hosts in the world and will go to great lenghts to accomodate and please if they understand your needs.

Have fun and enjoy yourself!

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »
On NOT drinking a thousand shots of Vodka, I put wine or Champagne in
front of me and toasted with that and took a small sip. When they noticed
I wasn't drinking vodka, I replied that lady with me was too small to carry
me home.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2011, 12:27:27 PM »
Just don't drink. But explain very early, best even before you travel, that you have a medical condition preventing you from alcohol consumption. That will give the lady time to prepare her family for the reasons you cannot share in toasts, etc.

Russians/Ukrainians are among the most gracious hosts in the world and will go to great lenghts to accomodate and please if they understand your needs.

Good to know!

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2011, 12:17:49 AM »

Good to know!

It could be because most of our guests are physicians (colleagues of my wife's), but no one seems to think it strange that I drink very sparingly. I often hear about people who are considered "strange" when they don't drink much, but I personally have never experienced this.

I simply don't make a big deal about it. I may actually have a glass of "Coke Light" or even mineral water that I simply use when toasts are offered, if I have already consumed my small amount of wine. I also rarely have had any vodka--the little I drink might as well be more enjoyable than that, so I generally limit myself to a small amount of wine.

One suggestion, though--don't try to out-drink the local men. That rarely works, and most FSUW I know are definitely *not* impressed by a man who drinks beyond his reasonable limit.

As is so often the case, YMMV.

David