The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Odessa - Одеса - Одесса - Odesa - Οδησσός - אדעס  (Read 33243 times)

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
Odessa is home to the largest catacomb network in the world. It has multiple levels and extends beyond the reaches of the city. The entire length runs over 2500 known kilometers and much of it remains unexplored in recent times. People have been lost while wandering in the expansive maze of corridors only to be found years later. Some of the tunnels are so large that cars can be driven down the halls as you can see in this video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8W1XpCy-mcc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8W1XpCy-mcc</a>

The catacombs are believed to have origins dating back to the 1600's but most of the excavation was accomplished in the 1800's while quarrying limestone to build the city above. During World War II groups of people escaped the Nazi control of the city and lived underground for over a year while carrying out clandestine attacks from below. After the wars end they were used for smuggling and criminal activities.

When the opera house was remodeled they poured molten glass into the catacombs beneath it for fear that the weight of the building may cause the cavern to collapse.

Has anyone been?

Offline sashathecat

The largest Christian Orthodox temple in Odessa is the Transfiguration Cathedral in Sobornaya Square. This is where the remains of Prince Vorontsov and his wife are kept. The location where it lies was consecrated in 1794 when the city of Odessa was founded and the building founded the following year. The bell tower was added in 1837.  It was renovated in 1903 making it one of the largest and most beautiful cathedrals in Russia, holding over 9,000 people. It was subsequently destroyed by the Communists in 1936. The entire building was looted and taken apart for use elsewhere . At one point the Bolsheviks planned on installing toilets over the exact spot where the primary altar was located.

After the fall of the Soviet Union the foundation was excavated and the construction of the new Cathedral was started in 2000 made possible fully with donations and private funding. The bells of the Cathedral were made in Greece and donated and to this day is the largest set of bells in Ukraine numbering twenty three. I can personally attest to their capabilities having stayed at an apartment on the second floor directly looking at the bell tower.

Sobornaya Square itself is in the center of the downtown area and usually has vendors selling paintings and other odds and ends. There are several flower shops nearby where you can pick up a bouquet for your zhena while taking a stroll.

Another forum member has stayed right across the street from this Cathedral as well.

Online mhr7

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
Another forum member has stayed right across the street from this Cathedral as well.
I doubt you're referring to me but I've stayed across from the Cathedral on 3 different occasions myself. I'ts one of my favorite locations in one of my favorite cities.

Offline sashathecat

I doubt you're referring to me but I've stayed across from the Cathedral on 3 different occasions myself. I'ts one of my favorite locations in one of my favorite cities.

Nice, that makes yet another member who has stayed right there. I agree that it is a great location. That and French Blvd are my favorite areas of the city. The only downside for me was the bells sound carrying through the open window after a night on the town.   ;D

Offline sashathecat

Here is what the Cathedral looked like in the early 1900's before it was demolished during the war.

Offline Annushka

I studied in absentia in Odessa. In the past, there were only 2 in the USSR Hydrometeorological Institute. Leningrad and Odessa. Now the status of "Ecological University". This 2 incubator for the USSR and abroad. My choice fell on Odessa. 6 years of study, each year 40 days on the Black Sea. I combine pleasure and study.

And, of course, part of my heart belongs to Odessa.

Offline Annushka

Old housing OGMI was in the center of Odessa, Kirov Street.

Here our course in the specialty "Meteorology" had practical exercises.

Later built a new building on the 13 station "Big Fountain". And we rented accommodation at 1 ruble on the Black Sea coast.

Hence, I was invited after the 4th year in the prewar Grozny.

Offline Annushka

Also noteworthy in the world famous Odessa, I want to add. This patriarchal Holy Dormition Monastery Odessa.

Please, follow the link. More photos:

http://eparhiya.od.ua/pravyaschiy-arhierey/fotogalereya-/1619-svyato-uspenskiy-patriarshiy-odesskiy--mujskoy-monastyir

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
For those still considering a visit to Odessa I have a couple of pieces of advice.
I have been here in Odessa ( I am there as I write this)  on 5/6 occasions previously but have not been a sightseeing tourist!! I am now looking at the historic attractions and there is a lot to see here-- so allow yourself some time to do that--it is not a 5 minute drive by!!
Allow time to see the history here.

ps   I am not  on the Crimea because Putin has stuffed the place!!

Offline sashathecat

Thanks for adding all the great info on Odessa Annushka!

Offline Annushka

Thanks for adding all the great info on Odessa Annushka!

Thanks, sashathecat.  tiphat
Before I could finish my story about Odessa. A pleasant surprise for Grandma: Grandchildren brought from Siberia. To me life was not honey! :party0031:

Offline Annushka

I also want to draw your attention a little bit on the "Mud baths Kuyalnik." Emphasis: "Treatment of infertility in men and women."

http://www.kuyalnik.com.ua/

Offline Annushka

One of the main attractions of Odessa - Odessa humor unique. Can not see it, but get pleasure from reading can be. ;D

About the features of the Odessa dialect known all around the world. Odessa funny phrases and expressions known even by those who never ever happen in Odessa. Many funny phrases and expressions Odessa steel cruise. Odessans carefully keep their culture life, betraying generations famous funny expressions and phrases Odessa. Sometimes it seems that the Odessites completely different kind of thinking.

http://odesskiy.com/

Щоб вы так жили, как прибедняетесь! ;D

Offline JayH

• Watched
I  would add my thanks to all contributors to the thread--  learning and seeing is great-- so thanks to all.
A couple of points --  plan on doing a lot of walking !! It would also pay to learn how to use the bus system--it will save some of the longer treks.  I actually have a car--but it has spent most of the time parked  at hotel  and hardly used for trip in city itself.
On currency exchange-- the banks offer a lower rate than money changers who are often in bars,other establishments with a secure booth-- usually have a sign on the street advertising rate of exchange for USD an EU--so no need to be exchanging huge amounts in advance.

Odessa is definately a sophisticated world city-- I think of Paris/Nice/Marseille as distinct from Nairoba  !!
City is very clean--no street litter. I watched people go out of their way to pick up errant paper and find a bin for it. Given the huge number of people on the streets currently--that is a minor miracle in itself. I might add-- I don't recall street litter in other cities.

Offline sashathecat

One of the main attractions of Odessa - Odessa humor unique. Can not see it, but get pleasure from reading can be. ;D

About the features of the Odessa dialect known all around the world. Odessa funny phrases and expressions known even by those who never ever happen in Odessa. Many funny phrases and expressions Odessa steel cruise. Odessans carefully keep their culture life, betraying generations famous funny expressions and phrases Odessa. Sometimes it seems that the Odessites completely different kind of thinking.

Yes, I am told the dialect and humorous expressions in Odessa are unique to the city. Once a year there is a festival to celebrate  Odessa's unique humor. The Yumorina comedy festival falls on April 1st or Fools Day every year and the streets overflow with acts, comedians, and a carnival like atmosphere.

PS - congrats on your Siberian gifts Annushka  :)

Offline sashathecat

I also want to draw your attention a little bit on the "Mud baths Kuyalnik." Emphasis: "Treatment of infertility in men and women."

Although I have not yet been to Kuyalnik my wife and her parents would often go visit. From what I have read it is an estuary located outside Odessa with a high salinity. The salts and minerals found in the mud are said to have therapeutic properties like you mention.

Offline sashathecat

Souvenir merchants in Odessa
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2014, 12:46:12 PM »
The Souvenir Market with a crowd of artists and craftsmen demonstrating their works is situated there. Prices are really low, and some items are gorgeous. Bargains are common. Don't miss it if you want to get originally Odessan souvenirs.

The merchants selling souvenirs have been moved from the gardens to Sobornaya Square where the cathedral is situated.

Offline Annushka

PS - congrats on your Siberian gifts Annushka 

Sashathecat, thanks! :thumbsup:
 In Volgograd, summer is in full swing. Meet guests and enjoy life. I do not always use the Internet.  tiphat
A little more about Odessa (yesterday corresponded with a classmate of Ukraine, memories).
This Marine, marble baths 10 station of Big Fountain. I recommend to visit with the family! :thumbsup:

http://odessa-life.od.ua/article/3059-legendy-odessy-vanna-mylo-i-voda-nashi-lipshie-druzya

Enjoy your summer vacation!  :)

Offline JayH

• Watched
Re: Odessa - Одеса - Одесса - Odesa - Οδησσός - אדעס
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2014, 07:54:10 AM »
The most wonderful day in Odessa today(0nly 5pm and much more to come). September 1st is the day school commences ( see Mende's threads for details--they are exceptional)  and the city is full of school age children,parents,grandparents and many parades and ceremonies taking place. The children are generally immaculately presented with many in traditional costumes .Of note-their mothers and grandmothers presentation also remarkable.I have attended school on this day twice previously(not in Odessa) and marvelled at the presentation-- but the scale here in Odessa is amazing to see. What a joyous happy celebration it is.
It is a great time to be in Odessa this week as it is the 220th celebration taking place with so much happening.

http://www.odessa.ua/en/announce/61925/

Offline stevart

• Trips: Resident
I live in Odessa) :party0031:
I didn't read the rules on signature links.

Offline JasonSunchez

Why most Ukrainian girls on dating sites are from Odessa? The city of brides lol :laugh:

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
Because it's the second biggest city in Ukraine, and is traditionally the holiday spot for the Ukrainians that could not make it to Crimea in summer.
Agencies here have existed since the age of dawn. As the centre point of the Ukrainian "Riveria" the city also has attracted a lot of foreigners over the years. Given a huge pot of beautiful, unemployed/under employed young women, it was one of the first, and most successful, places to invent the jobs of letter writers and "professional" girlfriends.
Some girls are in on it, some aren't, some get paid, some don't ....but all originally agreed to a "free" photo-shoot.

Offline Filip

Re: Odessa - Одеса - Одесса - Odesa - Οδησσός - אדעס
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2021, 01:30:54 AM »
A lot of interesting information above  :thumbsup: Odessa mama :loving:

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • "Helping People Understand Each Other"
    • OdessaGuide.Net
Odessa is home to the largest catacomb network in the world. It has multiple levels and extends beyond the reaches of the city.
I have given many tours in the catacombs but know just one location with multiple levels. The number of the levels is two and this is an exception.
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net