The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Odessa - Одеса - Одесса - Odesa - Οδησσός - אדעס  (Read 14653 times)

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
I also have about $200 of Rubles from Moscow in 2010, should I leave those here or take with?

You can exchange rubles in Odessa. Couple more pics.

Itaka from the Sea

Arcadia at sunrise

Offline sashathecat

And a link to the famous one walled building so you can figure out the optical illusion.

http://www.360cities.net/image/one-wall-building#23.75,-28.85,70.0

Offline censu

• Fortune favors the bold!
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
That is really cool. Is that in Odessa? I love photography and would love to get some pics of that myself.

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
I also have about $200 of Rubles from Moscow in 2010, should I leave those here or take with?

Good question. If you think that you'll never get back inside Russia, either keep as souvenirs or take them along to exchange. The exchange rate in Ukraine should be better than an American bank. If you plan on visiting Russia again, you might consider holding onto them as a way to have a bit of local currency upon landing.

Offline sashathecat

That is really cool. Is that in Odessa? I love photography and would love to get some pics of that myself.

Yea, all pics from Odessa. One walled building is close to the port and the Potemkin Stairs if I recall correctly.

Offline mendeleyev

• Trips: 20+
Sasha, nice photos!

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
I'm planning my first trip to Ukraine in September. I think 5 days in Odessa and 5 days in Kherson. Would appreciate tips/websites/#'s for apartments in both places. Main criteria is safety of my stuff when I'm not there, proximity to transportation (and airport in Odessa), WiFi (or just internet in general).

Best places to exchange money? Thoughts on using dollars? (make me a target maybe?)

Also suggestions on travel from Odessa to Kherson.

Lastly, places to see/visit and any decent agencies to start making contacts before I go.

Kevin, I'll be stopping in at KhersonGirls when I'm there. Your staff has always been very nice, helpful and professional. I almost feel like I know them.

Thanks

C
Odessa is big city and bustling.Kherson is nice city and at a much slower pace.
There is thread here somewhere on travel between the two .Taxi is not cheap. bus is-- but more difficult.  Your credit cards should work and you will find accepted at many places.Banks everywhere will exchange USD and Eu( & Rubles)  anytime.Other currencies can be a pia to exchange and will be at limited number of places.
Check with your bank if you can draw cash-- it is easy for me to do this with various cards but I have noted on forum that different issuing banks in different countries  each have their own policy on this.
As Mende said--Ukraine is quite civilised!! but all the normal security issues arise. If you can avoid looking like a tourist as much as possible that helps !

Online NS1

I have a picture of that wall, actually two. Very cool move 2 feet and it changes.
“You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”
Malcom X

Offline HoundDaddyLee

Re: Odessa - Одеса - Одесса - Odesa - Οδησσός - אדעס
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 04:59:06 PM »
I'm planning my first trip to Ukraine in September. I think 5 days in Odessa and 5 days in Kherson. Would appreciate tips/websites/#'s for apartments in both places. Main criteria is safety of my stuff when I'm not there, proximity to transportation (and airport in Odessa), WiFi (or just internet in general).

Best places to exchange money? Thoughts on using dollars? (make me a target maybe?)

Also suggestions on travel from Odessa to Kherson.

Lastly, places to see/visit and any decent agencies to start making contacts before I go.

Kevin, I'll be stopping in at KhersonGirls when I'm there. Your staff has always been very nice, helpful and professional. I almost feel like I know them.

Thanks

C
Odessa is big city and bustling.Kherson is nice city and at a much slower pace.
There is thread here somewhere on travel between the two .Taxi is not cheap. bus is-- but more difficult.  Your credit cards should work and you will find accepted at many places.Banks everywhere will exchange USD and Eu( & Rubles)  anytime.Other currencies can be a pia to exchange and will be at limited number of places.
Check with your bank if you can draw cash-- it is easy for me to do this with various cards but I have noted on forum that different issuing banks in different countries  each have their own policy on this.
As Mende said--Ukraine is quite civilised!! but all the normal security issues arise. If you can avoid looking like a tourist as much as possible that helps !

If you have HSBC as your bank, you cannot use your ATM card anywhere in Ukraine. I found this out last March. I have since changed banks because of this. But you need to let your bank know you will be traveling, including any cities you are flying through in case you need to get local cash.

Hope you have a great trip. I will be there in late September (Odessa and Nikolaev).

Lee

Offline Larry

Re: Odessa - Одеса - Одесса - Odesa - Οδησσός - אדעס
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 09:20:41 AM »
Here is one of a number of interesting photos of Odessa.  They were made by taking a photograph taken during the war and one taken now, of the same place, then merging the two.  It provides an interesting juxtaposition of the city in 1944 and 2012:

Lots more at this link:

http://englishrussia.com/2012/10/15/when-two-epochs-are-connected/#more-112070

Offline sashathecat

Odessa is home to the largest catacomb network in the world. It has multiple levels and extends beyond the reaches of the city. The entire length runs over 2500 known kilometers and much of it remains unexplored in recent times. People have been lost while wandering in the expansive maze of corridors only to be found years later. Some of the tunnels are so large that cars can be driven down the halls as you can see in this video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8W1XpCy-mcc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8W1XpCy-mcc</a>

The catacombs are believed to have origins dating back to the 1600's but most of the excavation was accomplished in the 1800's while quarrying limestone to build the city above. During World War II groups of people escaped the Nazi control of the city and lived underground for over a year while carrying out clandestine attacks from below. After the wars end they were used for smuggling and criminal activities.

When the opera house was remodeled they poured molten glass into the catacombs beneath it for fear that the weight of the building may cause the cavern to collapse.

Has anyone been?

Offline sashathecat

The largest Christian Orthodox temple in Odessa is the Transfiguration Cathedral in Sobornaya Square. This is where the remains of Prince Vorontsov and his wife are kept. The location where it lies was consecrated in 1794 when the city of Odessa was founded and the building founded the following year. The bell tower was added in 1837.  It was renovated in 1903 making it one of the largest and most beautiful cathedrals in Russia, holding over 9,000 people. It was subsequently destroyed by the Communists in 1936. The entire building was looted and taken apart for use elsewhere . At one point the Bolsheviks planned on installing toilets over the exact spot where the primary altar was located.

After the fall of the Soviet Union the foundation was excavated and the construction of the new Cathedral was started in 2000 made possible fully with donations and private funding. The bells of the Cathedral were made in Greece and donated and to this day is the largest set of bells in Ukraine numbering twenty three. I can personally attest to their capabilities having stayed at an apartment on the second floor directly looking at the bell tower.

Sobornaya Square itself is in the center of the downtown area and usually has vendors selling paintings and other odds and ends. There are several flower shops nearby where you can pick up a bouquet for your zhena while taking a stroll.

Another forum member has stayed right across the street from this Cathedral as well.

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
Another forum member has stayed right across the street from this Cathedral as well.
I doubt you're referring to me but I've stayed across from the Cathedral on 3 different occasions myself. I'ts one of my favorite locations in one of my favorite cities.
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." -- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Offline sashathecat

I doubt you're referring to me but I've stayed across from the Cathedral on 3 different occasions myself. I'ts one of my favorite locations in one of my favorite cities.

Nice, that makes yet another member who has stayed right there. I agree that it is a great location. That and French Blvd are my favorite areas of the city. The only downside for me was the bells sound carrying through the open window after a night on the town.   ;D

Offline sashathecat

Here is what the Cathedral looked like in the early 1900's before it was demolished during the war.