The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: All the scams I've seen (Or perhaps a rich European whining about money)  (Read 30249 times)

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
Russian's not an easy language mate, much harder than German for example.
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
You can find decent ladies just about anywhere, if you are looking for them. However, going by limited profiles on a dating site may mean your odds are reduced.

When I came to Ukraine the first time, I had been writing one lady from Mariupol for five months. After getting the non-refundable plane ticket, we had a misunderstanding and she disappeared. I had seen two profiles that fascinated me on previous occasions, both on free sites--and wrote both of them a little over three weeks before "wheels up". I was determined if nothing else to have a vacation out of the deal--but both of them responded. We exchanged three long letters each during that time.

The first lady was from Kiev--both beautiful and quite charming. I thought there was definite long-term potential there. However, I had promised the other to visit her as well--and when I did I was definitely smitten. We were married fourteen months later on a return trip to Ukraine--and she is about to leave for her son's graduation exercise in a few minutes.

Both ladies were of excellent character, and either one would have been a fine choice. However, I wasn't interested in the very young ones but wanted someone somewhat nearer my age. I also wasn't interested in any "party girls". Both of these ladies had little boys--I find mother to be on average a little more serious than the single, childless ones.

Personally, I find most of the women who came of age after collapse of the Soviet system tend to be somewhat less serious than those who are a bit older. In any case, I believe it behooves anyone to use a little care in the initial screening process. In my case, our letters were long and serious ones on both sides--although I was very lucky as well.

A good agency might be a fine idea these days, if it is one which actually gets to know the ladies involved. I didn't feel the need, personally, but then I was prepared to make multiple trips if that is what it took, and I had some fairly extensive notions of what kind of lady I was seeking. For me, the number one criteria was intelligence. I am happy to say my wife is the most intelligent lady I have ever known. (She is an anesthesiologist, by the way).

For those who want "arm candy" as a first priority, simply be aware that the external package may have very little relationship to the qualities it encloses.

David

Offline Leo512

• Meмber
In my case, our letters were long and serious ones on both sides--although I was very lucky as well.

Same here, but a virtual correspondance is no garantee, as i can attest. A face2 face meeting is the only oppertunity to check if a girl is serious!

On of the things i am considering now is just taking a sabbatical for a month of two and travel FSU countries, i will do that when my Russian has imporved somewhat.

Offline kievstar

• Trips: 20+
Hi Leo,

If your interested, we can meet up in Brussels and I can help you out.  I never had problems dating any girl I wanted in Ukraine or Belgium and married a girl there.  I lived there as well.  I even know Russians in Brussels.  I dated girls in Kiev and Kharkov.  I found Kiev girls very easy to date and could have married many but was not interested.  But found one I was.

My current job has me in Brussels most of each month and than USA and Zurich and than 1-2 times a month I visit my wife in Ukraine.  I leave for Ukraine tomorrow but will be back in Brussels next week.  I usually stay in Brupark area of Brussels and work in Wemmel. 

Let me know if interested.

Offline Leo512

• Meмber
Hi, i am contracting for the European Commision and i live accross the steet from the Swiss Embassy, on Square Luxembourg.  Zurich is a nice city, i worked there for 6 month for "Swiss Life".  I will PM you my cellphone, when you are in the neighbourhood we shoud have a coffee.

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
All the scams I've seen (Or perhaps a rich European whining about money)
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 08:23:45 PM »
Well, very interesting. Since you are a sophisticated European, and I am just an ignorant Colonial, perhaps you can enlighten me?

First of all i am a Dutch and live in Brussels Belgium.

Visited Minks Jan 2009.

KICKBACK scam nr1: Minsk, Belarus

------------------
 but...i had to pay her first..and then she went into another room and payed him. Mind you, i wasn't going to object as what i am going to do with a big suitcase in Belarus in Jan(freezing cold)?

So she went out of her way to ensure that you had a place to stay. Did you have a place to stay? Was the price unreasonable? Were you incapable of relocating to lodgings more suited to your liking?

She was listed as a scammer.......nuff said.

And the scam was what exactly? I'm afraid I'm not seeing it. That she took her time to help an ungrateful tourist who was incapable of arranging his own lodgings? Did she demand money from you?

My first trip to the FSU, chalk it up as a  big learning experience.

I found her listed on a couple of dating sites , i mailed the site owners my experience and the link to the scam report,... she was removed promptly i haven't encountered her since.

Or could it perhaps be some loser was livid that she dumped him? Or refused to sleep with the dude so he reported her as a scammer?

KICKBACK scam nr2: Odessa Ukraine,
------------------------
This time my radar was up, no more "helping me out with finding an apartment" or other services. This girl i met at rw globe.com, got her phone and address, her photos were very very nice. Here she is: link

She is still listed.

Couple of things, first i must say , i do believe she is interested in a serious relationship, but  she didn't mind trying to scam for a few bucks along the way while finding "Mr right".

Sadly i must say, i wasn't attracted to her at all!

Reason: In the photos she is "nice" and "cute" the endless letters we wrote to each other she seemed really serious and mature. In the meeting she acted really stickup, arrogant , snobbish with an entitlement mentality to boot.
Infact the more i was (ignoring/turned off by) her ,while having a good time with the translator being funny and cocky, the more she was attracted to me. (Strange how that works with women.)

While Walking to the taxi to bring her home, she wanted to see my apartment (now you do not do that on the first date! agreed?), i refused, said i was tired from the flight and i would bring her home instead, now here it went wrong,....., she wanted me to PAY her for the taxi , instead of dropping her off at her house. WTF? She wanted "100 Ukrainian" (10 USD). (Please not that airport fair is 60 rignia , so 100 is a shitload for just a short trip within Odessa). I refused flat out, she exploded with a big temper. F*ck that
!

Please educate me, in North America it's expected for the man to pay for a date, is it normal for a Belgian man to flirt with the translator and then expect the girl to pay her way home? Since the normal girl's wage in Ukraine is perhaps $10 - $20 per day, you expected her to pay at least a half day's wage for the "pleasure" of your company? Were you too cheap to pay $10, which is what - 6 or 8 minutes of your time? As this was your first trip to Odessa, how did you become such an expert on Odessa taxi prices? Of course it's normal for a taxi driver to increase prices 50% - 100% late in the evening when the girl is coming home with a rich foreign tourist.

Offline Leo512

• Meмber
Re: All the scams I've seen (Or perhaps a rich European whining about money)
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 03:07:30 AM »
I am not going to make a snappy remark about someones reading comprehension so i will only stick to my quote
she wanted me to PAY her for the taxi , instead of dropping her off at her house.

Girls use all sorts of excuses as kickback scams, using an interpreter friend etc etc. arranging an apartment for you (getting part of your rent money as kickback).

Anyway, the only good way is to pay everything DIRECTLY at NO COST to her, she would have not payed or suffered any financial inconvenience by taking a taxi home, because i would (quote) HAVE DROPPED HER OFF AT HER HOUSE or any place near her house or wherever she wanted to go. I have dropped two girls off at their house (they were living with parents) after having a first date with them, so its not a big deal. (Unless she has something to hide, like a boyfriend).

Maybe you should read my postings more carefully instead of wasting time with a reciprocal attitude.

PS: me and Elena are doing fine, thank you very much.

Offline Sculpto

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 01:17:25 PM »
Leo,
After reading your story and responses in the forum I see some big glaring holes in your story.

First, lets address the taxi since that seems to bother you the most.

Did it ever occur to you that the girl might live in a really crappy part of Odessa and was ashamed for you to see where she lived?  Or, did it occur to you that the lady did not want to take the chance to be seen with a foreign man and then have to deal with the babushka gossip mill?  I have seen the bad parts of Odessa and if I lived there I certainly wouldn't want to let my date see where I lived.

Its also pretty clear you have very little understanding of the cultural and gender issues that exist in Ukraine. 

That said.. I think you have the right idea to go there for an extended trip.

BTW.. Odessa is fine if you get off the expat/sex tourist/ wife hunter circuit.  Tons of great people there if you know how to find them and have game.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 10:50:05 PM »
 I agree with Sculpto.  Having spent months there, I can assure you that Odessa's tourist zone is not the best Odessa has to offer. Stay away from the ex pat places and you will meet some very nice people. 

BTW welcome Sculpto  tiphat

Offline Leo512

• Meмber
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2009, 06:41:22 AM »
Leo,
After reading your story and responses in the forum I see some big glaring holes in your story.

First, lets address the taxi since that seems to bother you the most.

Did it ever occur to you that the girl might live in a really crappy part of Odessa and was ashamed for you to see where she lived?  Or, did it occur to you that the lady did not want to take the chance to be seen with a foreign man and then have to deal with the babushka gossip mill?  I have seen the bad parts of Odessa and if I lived there I certainly wouldn't want to let my date see where I lived.

Its also pretty clear you have very little understanding of the cultural and gender issues that exist in Ukraine. 

That said.. I think you have the right idea to go there for an extended trip.

BTW.. Odessa is fine if you get off the expat/sex tourist/ wife hunter circuit.  Tons of great people there if you know how to find them and have game.

Sculpto ,

At the time i got a wrong vibe, like i said, i have brought dates back to their house, one date even refused and explained that she lived in a small village outside Odessa and therefore would have to explain if she was brought to her parents house by someone she hardly knew. Now in the latter case i payed the taxidriver directly upfront for the whole trip, again no cost to her.

There may be valid reasons for her not to bring me home, but for the women from the example given, it was no big deal for her explaining the situation,

Dont write everything off as a "culture" difference. Use your common sense!! And maybe their was indeed a valid reason , but i am not going to pay 5x a taxi fair (we were not standing near any taxi when she asked for that amount!!!!!) Thats plainly a kickback thing going on!!

Even my translator at the time found it extraordinary (note: i did date my translator after "Vikki" blew up in a fit for me refusing her to take me to my appartment and refusing to GIVE HER money for taxi ).

If you have any questions ask, i think i filled up all the holes here.

Offline Leo512

• Meмber
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2009, 06:45:13 AM »

I didnt get scammed in the Ukriane, other then taking some women out to dinner they could themselves not afford. Can you say the same?

Your pretty quick in your judgement, by the way i am marrying an Ukranian, so dont see any big  differences between continental Europeans (me) and Ukranians, only superficial, maybe its a different story for you, but its not my situation

Offline Leo512

• Meмber
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2009, 06:49:12 AM »
Were you too cheap to pay $10, which is what - 6 or 8 minutes of your time?

With the current exchange rate that would be a couple of seconds, but that is not the issue, i will not be scammed, period!!

Offline Sculpto

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2009, 05:45:52 PM »
All I see is a man more concerned about $10 than the well being or pride of his date, regardless of whether they hit it off or not.

Good luck with your marriage.

Offline SVOrookie

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 04:25:48 AM »
I have to agree with the OP on the taxi scam.
I've been to Odessa three times, and a lovely local tried to scam a buddy for 100 Hryvnia for a taxi so she could go home and change her shoes. To get around town we were paying 20 Hryvnia max. He gave her the heave ho right there and then. BTW the locals flag down black market taxis for less than the 20 Hryvnia we were paying.

In general the OP is right about about Odessa....Great place to party with lovely girls but too many players/Part-time working girls. I would seek a wife elsewhere but I do think Odessa is a fun place to visit, especially for guys from the West.
Pigs get fat....Hogs get slaughtered

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 03:22:05 PM »
I have to agree with the OP on the taxi scam.
I've been to Odessa three times, and a lovely local tried to scam a buddy for 100 Hryvnia for a taxi so she could go home and change her shoes. To get around town we were paying 20 Hryvnia max. He gave her the heave ho right there and then.

Too right fella. No girl on this earth is worth a $6 taxi fare home even if her shoes are killing her and her feet are bleeding. Give em plenty of heave and plenty of ho right there, right then – that’s what I say.

Offline SVOrookie

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 06:28:11 PM »

Too right fella. No girl on this earth is worth a $6 taxi fare home even if her shoes are killing her and her feet are bleeding. Give em plenty of heave and plenty of ho right there, right then – that’s what I say.

Sarcasm noted...Too bad you missed the point....
If a girl will scam you for the small stuff beware and thank God she shows her true colors upfront.
And for those who can't add, it was $20 US at the time. Won't break you or I, but who needs the headache plus you already know her game.  tiphat

Offline SVOrookie

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 06:37:31 PM »
Why would an intelligent male let a woman treat him according to ways he would never accept in his local dating pool at home?
 Any guy who gets instant stupidity in the presence of pretty/foreign girls will be taken advantage of, whether he deserves it or not. (Message to little head).

And for those who can't get a date at home....Good luck. The sharks will eat you alive.....

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2009, 06:46:29 PM »

Sarcasm noted...Too bad you missed the point....
If a girl will scam you for the small stuff beware and thank God she shows her true colors upfront.
And for those who can't add, it was $20 US at the time. Won't break you or I, but who needs the headache plus you already know her game.  tiphat

Actually the OP wouldn't give her $10 for a taxi. You will note that he didn't offer to PAY for the taxi, he wanted to TAKE HER HOME in the taxi. Perhaps she was worried about some possibly creepy sex-tourist wannabe knowing where she lived?

(New readers will note that the OP, by his own admission, expects sex within 24 hours of meeting the girl)

Was she asking for $10 for a taxi ride that costs maybe $3 or $4? Sure.

Considering that the girl probably spent an hour or more getting ready, she probably makes $200 - $400 a month at her job, and the OP makes well over $50,000 per month, I would hardly worry about giving her an extra $6 if it was me.

YMMV

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 06:54:33 PM »
Why would an intelligent male let a woman treat him according to ways he would never accept in his local dating pool at home?
 Any guy who gets instant stupidity in the presence of pretty/foreign girls will be taken advantage of, whether he deserves it or not. (Message to little head).

And for those who can't get a date at home....Good luck. The sharks will eat you alive.....

The thing is, she may have shelled out $6 already just to meet the guy.
She may well have had to take a taxi home after work, and another one from home to meet him, because she didn't have time to take the minibus. Who knows?

Most girls will arrange to meet you near your hotel. assuming that you couldn't explain to a taxi driver (who speaks no English) how to get to her apartment

Offline Sculpto

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 07:00:29 PM »
what a bunch of losers.. the girl shouldn't even have to ask for her taxi fare!  And yeah.. you should throw in a bit extra in case she wants to grab a soft drink before going into the hell hole apartment she probably lives in.

You guys shouldn't even be dating women.

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2009, 07:30:42 PM »
what a bunch of losers.. the girl shouldn't even have to ask for her taxi fare!  And yeah.. you should throw in a bit extra in case she wants to grab a soft drink before going into the hell hole apartment she probably lives in.

:chuckle: I actually agree with your point, I don't worry about giving her a few extra $$$ to get home, nor do I try to be cheap with the taxi drivers either, we make way more than they do, they're just trying to make a living.

I would note that Vinny was being sarcastic Sculpto, I think he agrees with you too...  8)

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • "Helping People Understand Each Other"
    • OdessaGuide.Net
  • Trips: Resident
Stupid
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2009, 12:17:42 AM »
Ever been to Odessa, or do you have telepathic ability?

Please visit Odessa, the fact is while standing in front of the airport (second trip in april 2009 start of tourist season) I saw bussiness men of over 40, being dropped off/picked up at the airport by their 18/19 year old "girfriends". And in some cases girlfriends was "plural" as in multiple.
--
Disgusting and saddning to see it! I wanted to go home immediatly!

Update: The Indian bussines man i met in Odessa told me quite frankly that you could sleep with any girl (nice ones) for 500 rignia (thats 50 bucks). The crisis is hitting Ukraine hard with inflation now at 25%.
Do YOU have telepathic ability? Why do you think all those ‘girlfriends’ were prostitutes sleeping with the man for money? Did it ever dawn on you that it might be daughters for example? Could you sure read their mind just looking at them?

I AM disgusted to hear things like that… Judging others by what you imagine about them, not knowing anything at all.

As for the Indian businessman (not to say anything about Indian businessmen)… well if he had told you that he had slept with your sister would you also gladly believe him?

And, did you try his trick, offering girls $50 and asking to sleep with you? Did all of them agree? (Did you scan their mind before asking to see if you could offer less than that?)
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2009, 01:33:47 AM »
the girl shouldn't even have to ask for her taxi fare!  And yeah.. you should throw in a bit extra in case she wants to grab a soft drink before going into the hell hole apartment she probably lives in.

The voice of reason! Well said that man!
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Sculpto

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2009, 03:02:31 PM »

:chuckle: I actually agree with your point, I don't worry about giving her a few extra $$$ to get home, nor do I try to be cheap with the taxi drivers either, we make way more than they do, they're just trying to make a living.

I would note that Vinny was being sarcastic Sculpto, I think he agrees with you too...  8)

Vger.. I know Vinny was being sarcastic.. my jab was not directed at him at all... purely at the guys who don't know what being a gentleman is.. ;)

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2009, 10:29:24 PM »

Vger.. I know Vinny was being sarcastic.. my jab was not directed at him at all... purely at the guys who don't know what being a gentleman is.. ;)

;D Yeah I always tell guys from the West that it's not cool to try to be cheap over there, I can afford it, and they can sure use it!

This especially applies these days, things are getting pretty bad over there