The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Estonia: Tallinn  (Read 35083 times)

Offline Vadim

• Ladagirl.ru
Estonia: Tallinn
« on: May 31, 2008, 11:33:37 AM »
Here you go: some pictures of my home town, its small but nice!!!

English/Estonian/Russian translator and Estonia guide/driver. Juhul kui Eestist ja Baltikast daamitel on soov tutvuda Euroopast ja Ameerikast mehi, palun külastage meid aadreesil Ladagirl.com

Offline Vadim

• Ladagirl.ru
Re: Pictures of Tallinn, Estonia.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 11:35:29 AM »
And we have a lot of beautiful single girls around here! 8)
English/Estonian/Russian translator and Estonia guide/driver. Juhul kui Eestist ja Baltikast daamitel on soov tutvuda Euroopast ja Ameerikast mehi, palun külastage meid aadreesil Ladagirl.com

Offline mirror

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 12:29:46 AM »
Vadim
And we have a lot of beautiful single girls around here! 8)

Do you think more beautifull than elsewhere? Can you show some,pls?

PS: lovely pictures too ....but мало!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 02:48:46 AM »
I really like pictures 4 and 5. That castle thingy looks adorable :)
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline GregfromGa

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 07:38:03 AM »
My first trip to the FSU was to Tallinn. Beautiful city and so many beautiful girls. I still have a friend there and one of my best friends wife is from there. I was there in 2001. There was this girl that worked at a shop in the same building as the Mickli Hotel. We went out on the last evening I was in town. She was Russian. Nice girl and very pretty. Do you know Josep Tinn?

Offline Jinx

• Watched
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 10:54:53 PM »
 Wow, I had no idea it was so beautiful there, thanks for the awesome photos  :party0031:

Offline Vadim

• Ladagirl.ru
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 05:23:09 AM »
Yes Ladies and Gents,Eastern Europe is nice, especialy in the Summer time, long history, lots of beatuful architectures and ofcourse plenty of FSU beautiful girls! :P

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 01:50:01 PM »
People usually use pictures of the Old Town when they show photos of Tallinn. The Old Town is only about a square mile in size. Outside of the Old Town it now looks like any other European city.

You can click any of the pictures below to see full size.

Babushkas in unfashionable knitwear are everywhere in the FSU!

ila_rendered

The hotel Viru below, has a rather famous disco under it. It has always been the haunt of foreign guys hoping to (mostly unsuccessfully) snare local girls.

ila_rendered

Trams are everywhere. They take people to and from the suburbs. They are a damn menace to the driver actually - they always have right of way.

ila_rendered

Many of the people on these pictures are tourists; many from Finland. Can you spot the local girl on the picture below?

ila_rendered

When the trams don't have priority, the people do. Green man or not, they just lurch into the road. The tourists are worse.

ila_rendered

Mopeds are getting popular in Estonia now, as you can see from the picture below. They are embracing the Italian style moped and pavement cafe culture the last few years.

ila_rendered
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 03:03:49 PM »
Moving out of the centre of Tallinn, to the outskirts, you arrive at the suburbs. The photos below show one of the areas the newly affluent locals seek to relocate to from the old Soviet style flats in the "Russian" districts.

You can click any of the pictures below to see full size.

Building permissions are different to the UK - it seems there is no uniformity required between projects.

ila_rendered

These flats below are two years old. They will look better when the shrubbery has matured probably. Externally imaginative they are not. Yet they are very functional in the Scandinavian style, many having balconies and saunas.

ila_rendered

If only the houses were a little further apart. Parts of this district remind me a little of Florida (with Fur/Pine/Conifer/Christmas trees instead of palms of course). The mailboxes on the end of the driveway are an imported Americanism.

ila_rendered

I rather like the house below. Owned by a Russian I believe. It would take around half a million US$ to buy this house here.

ila_rendered

No, this isn't Holland. There are quite a few windmills dotted around Estonia. The one you can see is actually now a restaurant (and not a good one).

ila_rendered
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 03:22:22 PM »
Very enjoyable, Manny. Post more!

Offline froid

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »
Great pictures.  I really enjoyed my visits to Tallin myself.  Beautiful architechure and nice people.

The hotel Viru below, has a rather famous disco under it. It has always been the haunt of foreign guys hoping to (mostly unsuccessfully) snare local girls.

I have been there twice, seems like that is exactly how it looks.  Of course my cousin who was my guide there and is from Finland only knew to go there and didn't adventure far from the old town.  I dragged him to a bunch more places just because I got tired of his lack of planning and saw some great places. 

I like Hells Hunt, Estonia's oldest pub...Est. 1991.  :)

And last time I was there I ended up at Beer House.  Nice german style place with their own tasty brews. 

Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 01:35:30 PM »
And last time I was there I ended up at Beer House.  Nice german style place with their own tasty brews. 

That sounds like the German beer Keller, below the Hotel St Barbara on Rootsikrantsi? In a cellar with a brick vaulted ceiling, huge wooden tables and glasses of German beer bigger than your head.  :drunk:

Offline froid

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 09:09:08 AM »
Thats the one Manny.  :)  Loved it.
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 11:31:46 AM »
Tallinn (Таллинн)

Tallinn is situated on the southern coast of the Gulf of Finland, in north-western Estonia and is the capital and largest city of Estonia. It occupies a surface of 159.2 km2 (61.5 sq mi) in which 406,703 inhabitants live.[1] It is situated on the northern coast of the country, on the banks of the Gulf of Finland, 80 km (50 mi) south of Helsinki.

ila_rendered

Independence never seems to last very long for Estonia. After the Danish conquest in 1219 the town became known in the German, Swedish and Danish languages as Reval. In 1285 the city became the northernmost member of the Hanseatic League – a mercantile and military alliance of German-dominated cities in Northern Europe. The Danes sold Tallinn along with their other land possessions in northern Estonia to the Teutonic Knights in 1346.

During the Great Northern War the Swedish troops based in Tallinn capitulated to Imperial Russia in 1710, but the local self-government institutions (Magistracy of Reval and Chivalry of Estonia) retained their cultural and economical autonomy within Imperial Russia as the Duchy of Estonia. The Magistracy of Reval was abolished in 1889. The 19th century brought industrialization of the city and the port kept its importance. During the last decades of the century Russification measures became stronger.

ila_rendered

On 24 February 1918, the Independence Manifesto was proclaimed in Tallinn, followed by Imperial German occupation and a war of independence with Russia. On 2 February 1920, the Tartu Peace Treaty was signed with Soviet Russia, wherein Russia acknowledged the independence of the Estonian Republic. Tallinn became the capital of an independent Estonia.

After World War II started, Estonia was occupied by the Soviet Union (USSR) in 1940, and later occupied by Nazi Germany from 1941–44. After Nazi retreat in 1944, it was occupied by the USSR again. After annexation into the Soviet Union, Tallinn became the capital of the Estonian SSR.

City Transportation
The city operates a system of bus (62 lines), tram (4 lines) and trolley-bus (8 lines) routes to all districts. A flat-fare system is used. Payment is made either by pre-purchase of tickets at street-side kiosks or by a purchase from the transport vehicle.

Таллиннский троллейбус (trolleybus)

Таллиннский трамвай (tram)

Таллиннский трамвай (tram)

Rail and Ground Transportation
The Edelaraudtee railway company operates train services from Tallinn to Tartu, Valga, Türi, Viljandi, Tapa, Narva, Orava, and Pärnu. Buses are also available to all these and various other destinations in Estonia, as well as to Saint Petersburg in Russia and Riga in Latvia. The Go Rail company operates a daily international sleeper train service between Tallinn-Moscow.

ila_rendered таллиннский вокзал (train station)

Tallinn also has a commuter rail service running from Tallinn's main rail station in two main directions: east (Aegviidu) and to several western destinations (Pääsküla, Keila, Riisipere, Paldiski, Klooga and Kloogaranna). These are electrified lines and are used by the Elektriraudtee railroad company. The trains are a mixture of modernised older Soviet EMU's and newly built units. The first electrified train service in Tallinn was opened in 1924 from Tallinn to Pääsküla, a distance of 11.2 kilometres.

The Rail Baltica project, which will link Tallinn with Warsaw via Latvia and Lithuania, will connect Tallinn with the rest of the European rail network. A tunnel has been proposed between Tallinn and Helsinki, though it remains at a planning phase.

Air Transportation
The Lennart Meri Tallinn Airport is about four kilometres from Raekoja plats (Town Hall square). There is a local bus connection between the airport and the edge of the city centre (bus no. 2). The nearest railway station Ülemiste is only 1.5 km from the airport. The construction of the new section of the airport began in 2007 and was finished in summer 2008.

Tallinn Dept of Tourism: http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/?setLang=2

Tallinn Hotels and Restaurants: http://www.tallinn.com

Tallinn Airport: http://www.tallinn-airport.ee/eng

War memorial

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 11:42:42 AM »
ila_rendered
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

ila_rendered
Old city wall and gate.

Uptown: Saint Catherine's passage

The electric tram runs in all sorts of weather.

ila_rendered
Kadriorg Palace

ila_rendered
Port of Tallinn

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 11:54:23 AM »
Mendeleyev walked around and asked the question "who is the most famous citizen of this lovely city?"

Without fail, the response was always--Manny from England and his beautiful wife and children!

The legend lives on!  :)

The Jaani Lutheran Church (1862) is on the edge of Vabaduse Valjak (Freedom Square).

Residents told me that this is Manny's car! Is that true?  ;D

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 08:29:08 PM »
Ladies here are just naturally beautiful!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 01:02:58 AM »
Ladies here are just naturally beautiful!

(Attachment Link)

It is a good job then that these are not local women. ;)

If they are locals then it is worth noting that tastes and standards of beauty differ.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Yoshik

• My darling wife a I.
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 03:09:12 AM »
Andrewfi

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and is also inward.

These girls have a beauty which obviously you cannot see.

Were I not very happily married  I would meet them - that is not to suggest they would meet me!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »
Andrewfi

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and is also inward.

These girls have a beauty which obviously you cannot see.

Were I not very happily married  would meet them - that is not to suggest they would meet me!

I am a social bloke and would happily meet them and I am sure they would be happy to meet me because I am a normal social bloke. It is sad that your social expectations are so low. You can stop with the veiled insults now, OK?

They are comely but the post was probably written by a bloke who knows Tallinn more at arm's length than at first hand because in other cases he'd probably have used other pics that better exemplified his argument.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 09:45:07 AM »
They are not typical Estonian looking women for sure.

I am sure the Estonian girls debate was not what Mendy had in mind for this topic.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 07:05:56 PM »
If they are locals then it is worth noting that tastes and standards of beauty differ.

What is worth noting?

Is it truly a surprise to you that tastes differ, or were you merely pointing out your superiority as with the "bloke from arm's length" comment?

Are you so special that you've been appointed judge and jury over beauty in the FSU? Sorry, if I'd known of your interest I'd have tried to find a couple of prostitutes with drug and mafia ties. Let me know next time in advance.

As to whether or not you see beauty, who cares? They are beautiful young ladies without apology. I'd have been much more impressed, even appreciative, if you'd have posted additional photos to contribute a cross section of the diverse beauty to be found in the region.

Until you step up and do a better job at these city guides than myself...kindly contribute something useful, or...

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 07:11:05 PM »
I am sure the Estonian girls debate was not what Mendy had in mind for this topic.

tiphat

Offline froid

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 09:14:53 PM »
Great pictures Mendy.  I have been to Tallin a few times and loved it.

Offline froid

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 09:19:57 PM »
I have heard that Tallin is the only old Medieval city that was not involved in World War 2 battles.  A piece of history not destroyed by more recent history.

ila_rendered
My brother in front of the Tallin old city wall.

ila_rendered
Old city centre square.

ila_rendered
Great architechure in Tallin.

ila_rendered
And amusing shops.

Registration