The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Registration and Police Shake-down  (Read 5231 times)

Offline chivo

Re: Registration and Police Shake-down
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 05:54:39 AM »
Most of my problems have been with traffic cops. I have had brushes in Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and Russia. Usually a small bribe fixes it.

I generally pay between 20-40 Euros for a traffic stop. I used to resent paying the money but Andrewfi helped me see it another way: He said look upon it as a tax for driving at 120mph across their country instead of a dreary 60 or 70 mph. When you look at it like that, and consider the time you save, it becomes just another travel expense.

I was stopped in Moscow driving the wrong way on a street and me and the "nice" officer :chuckle: settled on $50 as my fine. He initally wanted $200.

Of course at first I was a little peeved, but then QUICKLY realized that $50 was chump change to what would have happened to me in the states taking into account the fine (about 3x times the amount), a negative mark on my drivers license which increases my insurance premium, and a possible day off from work.

As far as being shaken down, have your paperwork in order and don't sweat the police. Always carry the number of the respective embassy on your mobile and use it if necessary. Know your rights as a foreigner and don't be bullied. Now, where was I, oh yes, enjoying life...poka  :chuckle: 

Oh and P.S. Hi Olga  tiphat

Offline patman67

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 02:43:08 PM »
I've never even been looked at twice...I was pretty nervous when i just walked through inspection at DMV and no one stopped me. Maybe I just look too dumb to be considered  any trouble...

But...knock on wood...twice! It looks like I'll be taking my first Russian domestic flight in July...hopefully, my luck will hold out!

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 03:58:00 AM »
I would suggest don't arrive late ( and flustered ) to airports as any corrupt policeman knows you are less likely to 'fight' his demands .. the two attempts I've experienced at 'shake-downs' involved such a scenario.

Offline TwoBitBandit

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 12:59:05 PM »
Then he wanted to know if I was carrying Rubles out of the country (that is illegal).

Is this true?  I've never heard of it, and I've carried roubles out of Russia on every trip I've made.  I have six or seven thousand roubles stashed away in my luggage for my next trip.

I've also shown roubles to customs officials both while entering and while exiting Russia, and I never had a problem.  Nobody said anything about it...

Offline patman67

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 01:09:19 PM »
I don't think it's illegal, if the amount is low enough...

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 07:55:44 PM »
Update on the question of taking rubles out of Russia:

(Moscow Times) For years travelers have faced restrictions on taking Russian currency out of Russia, but a new law now gives travelers a fresh currency to reckon with: the ruble.

Under the change, which went into effect in August 2005, rubles will now be counted among the $10,000 that travelers are legally entitled to take out of the country, according to the Federal Customs Service.

Offline Jinx

• Watched
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 01:56:22 AM »
 Ooops, I thought this thread was about Mendy's home state of Arizona.  :)

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 11:18:13 AM »
Ooops, I thought this thread was about Mendy's home state of Arizona.  :)

Ba-da-bing....  :P

It was the same in Ukraine, you were'nt supposed to take money out, but none of the inspectors really seemed to care, even when I had grivna floating around in my bag.

Offline BC

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 08:05:27 AM »
After getting a visa extension (actually a new visa) at Rostov 8 or 9 years ago they tried to dock me because my second visa wasn't registered.  My wife was there and raised all kinds of hell.  I boarded the empty bus as the last passenger without having to drop a dime.

Looks like Rostov is famous for such.