The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Why this Money Order payable to Receiver of Canada is incorrect?  (Read 2062 times)

Offline BelleZeBoob

Dears,

As you know, I am active on the fora for the FSU immigrants to Canada.

Recently one poster asked why their application was rejected. The CIC stated in their explanation letter that the payment is not acceptable because they included a receipt for fees paid directly to a bank.

But as far as I can see from the scanned order, this is not true. This instrument is made payable to Receiver General of Canada, and not to the bank.

Additionally, the CIC mentions that the order is stale, but it has been very recently issed, it cannot be stale at all.

Can someone look at the explanations attached and tell me where my understanding is wrong?

Thank you all!

P.S. I ask this out of curiosity, it does not relate to me anyhow. My payment has been successful!

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline Brasscasing

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Why this Money Order payable to Receiver of Canada is incorrect?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:40:51 PM »
Well Belle, right off the bat and the simplest explanation is that the Money Order wasn't submitted with the paperwork.
The item that was check marked says they didn't receive the payment.

Brass

Update: Belle, not all the explanations on the form are relevent only the one with a check mark beside it, you know this, da?
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."  ~ John Diefenbaker

P.S....Unless you happen to live in Quebec and are subject to the Quebec Charter Of Values, of course.

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:05:53 AM »
Well Belle, right off the bat and the simplest explanation is that the Money Order wasn't submitted with the paperwork.
The item that was check marked says they didn't receive the payment.

Brass

Update: Belle, not all the explanations on the form are relevent only the one with a check mark beside it, you know this, da?

Brass, thanks for your prompt reaction, but my thinking is that exactly this money order was submitted with the documents.

I also believe that a handmade mark should point out the reason, but it merely indicated that no fee is received, and further the reasons are listed. Unfortunately no marks are made anymore.

The CIC did not receive the payment because they accept only the payment instrument which are exactly mentioned. They say this Order is made incorrectly. I wonder why.

I wonder therefore what is inccorect in this Order that has been scanned for us to see?
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline Brasscasing

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 12:39:29 AM »
OK, here's what has to happen;
Whoever drafted the Money Order needs to confirm it hasn't been cashed or if it has that it was cashed by the Receiver General's Office.
If it has not been cashed, cancel it as lost and have them redraft a new one. If the Receiver General is in receipt of the payment have the bank photo copy or otherwise issue a statement that the Money Order has been cashed and resubmit that document with the paperwork.
Belle, that is not the Money Order you have attached, it is the sender's copy of the money order, the receipt. If they sent this instead of the money order itself then the Receiver General's Office could not cash it, it is non-negotiable.

Brass
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."  ~ John Diefenbaker

P.S....Unless you happen to live in Quebec and are subject to the Quebec Charter Of Values, of course.

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 01:36:42 AM »
Wouldn't it be possible to pay electronically? It might cost a bit more, but it's a lot faster and more reliable then paper based payment (they're so 1980's  :'(). Last time I've seen a cheque or money order here in NL was 15 or so years ago. Just US, Canada, UK and France still seem to love them (together with Asian and LatAm countries)  :GRRRR:

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 01:55:18 AM »
Wouldn't it be possible to pay electronically? It might cost a bit more, but it's a lot faster and more reliable then paper based payment (they're so 1980's  :'(). Last time I've seen a cheque or money order here in NL was 15 or so years ago. Just US, Canada, UK and France still seem to love them (together with Asian and LatAm countries)  :GRRRR:

No Herrie it wouldn't. The CIC now accepts only the fee payment insruments from certain groups of immigrants that are expressly listed on their website. They should be exactly as defined.
The Foreign Skilled Workers, Category 1 (individuals who are of certain occupations, that means a large part of eventual independent immigrants) have to send their processing fees only by certain bank instruments. Since no Russian bank can issue them, this category of immigrants have to resort to the help of their Canadian friends in order to get the required instruments. As we can see, there might also be some confusion in this process.

In this particular example, I got the information from the guy who posted these scans. He asked his Canadian friends to get such kind of instrument and asked them to send him a COPY back to his location. So they sent him a photocopy, which he enclosed to his applications. Obviously, the Receiver was unable to cash it.

Otherwise I understand the Money Order should be allright!

Thank you all for your efforts!