The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Cute Things Former Soviet Girls Say  (Read 30789 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Cute Things Former Soviet Girls Say
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 06:06:45 PM »
I've posted this before somewhere...my favourite was during a serious discusion of marriage plans Mila had been looking at an english website for things that we do over here for wedding and receptions...she asked...

"What does it mean when they say the bride and groom play hide the salami?"

Was so funny and it caught me by surprise.

:ROFL:

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Turboguy

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 03:32:49 AM »
We have a chain of sporting goods stores around here called "Dick's Sporting Goods"  My wife seems to find that very funny.

Confusing clothes and coats caught me by surprise the first time I encountered it.  I was meeting a lady in Kiev,  We went out of town to a restaurant that had a big central dining room and a bunch of cabins in a circle that were very private dining rooms.  We went to one of the cabins.  She walked in and looked for the thermostat and said she wanted to turn the heat way up because she wanted to take her clothes off.  Boy was I disappointed when I found out what she really meant.

When the subject of dirty hands came up receintly my wife said she had washed her hands in the toilet.   I did suggest she might want to change that to she washed her hands in the ladies room or rest room.   I can alse recall being in a park with my former fiancee and asking if she wanted a bottle of water from the vending machine and she said no, she drank in the toilet.    I hope not.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 10:03:05 PM »

Apparently, the Dutch "Goeie-Morgen" (good morning) , the first part "Goeie" is very much pronounced like a dirty russian curse-word, she never told me which though.

Hm...  ???  What can that be?  :reading:

Girls? either горе or говно?
Если она с Украины, возможно она произносит г как х и гуе превращается в ... ;D

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 07:45:29 AM »
Ttrrrrrrrrruusssst Me ! (rolling R's)

When my GF says Ttrrrrrrrrruusssst Me! (trust me) then she
is warning me in advance that she is up to something. This is
not the time to close my eyes and open my mouth for example
and it is definitely the time to wonder what she is going to do
with the snowball she is holding.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

lisenok

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »
Для тех, кто имеет слабое представление о голландском: G-произносится как Х русская, OE как У. Вот и получается не очень приличное для "девушки из Украины ;D" слово. Просто Марк забыл предупредить об отличии голландского от английского.  :laugh:

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2009, 12:10:27 PM »
Для тех, кто имеет слабое представление о голландском: G-произносится как Х русская, OE как У. Вот и получается не очень приличное для "девушки из Украины " слово. Просто Марк забыл предупредить об отличии голландского от английского

I can't imagine a family trying to keep track of 4 languages!  tiphat  I'm guessing that in effect you two will have created a Russian-Ukrainian-Dutch-English speaking family. Mark's English is excellent and I understand that your Dutch must have a certain level of proficiency to complete the immigration process.  That's his excuse by the way, he was so busy helping you with Dutch that he forgot to warn you about the nuances between Dutch and English!  :)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2009, 01:34:14 PM »
Mendy,

I explained Lena a long time ago, I used the google-translate and I think she means that I forgot to tell everybody why it was this word Lena mentioned.

But I will need to learn Russian too  tiphat
Mark.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2009, 12:08:47 PM »
Please share you the cute things that your RW has said
anecdotes, sayings etc. 

FSU sayings that my girl friend has said from time to time.

I am white as a mushroom

I'm not in a mood for pumping a water in a basin

I told you to talk faster because I had something on the stove
and you are just pulling a cat by its tail

I slept like a fireman

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 12:11:40 PM »
Of course there is the famous

but Beeeel I weeeeel keeeeel you

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 01:04:56 PM »
I am sure there is another thread on here somewhere discussing the same thing?

Yes thought so, here it is http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=6238.0;highlight=cute+things 
Слава Україні

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2009, 01:31:31 PM »
I couldn't find the thread so, (I looked honest) I thought it might have been on a different
forum. Feel free to splice the threads together if you wish.

Udachi

Bill

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 01:37:21 PM »
She also had a problem with anything ending in "es" as plural.  I've heard phrases like, "put off your shoes'es please."

Yes, my GF uses the same accenting the es
like in horses

Clothes
Monthes

Offline Chris

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 02:25:58 PM »
I couldn't find the thread so, (I looked honest) I thought it might have been on a different
forum. Feel free to splice the threads together if you wish.

Udachi

Bill

Duly obliged  :)
Слава Україні

Offline ispotu

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 04:22:30 PM »
This is fun. A few weeks ago I told the lady I write that I was sick. She said to me: "I hope it is not pork flu."

On the flip side, I am learning Russian through Rosetta Stone. I was sharing words that I had learned with her and discovered that a mispronounsiation of the word I learned for "mother" will make her blush and say "no no no, please say mum."

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 04:27:41 PM »
This is fun. A few weeks ago I told the lady I write that I was sick. She said to me: "I hope it is not pork flu."

On the flip side, I am learning Russian through Rosetta Stone. I was sharing words that I had learned with her and discovered that a mispronounsiation of the word I learned for "mother" will make her blush and say "no no no, please say mum."

And if you mispronounce "mother" in Mandarin Chinese you get "horse" that will really make you gf blush.  :laugh:
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2009, 05:54:25 PM »

And if you mispronounce "mother" in Mandarin Chinese you get "horse" that will really make you gf blush.  :laugh:

I have stuck my rather large foot into my mouth and have learned that
Babushka (older woman / Grandmother) should not be confused with
Pushka (big gun / cannon)

Offline kukuruza

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2009, 09:35:51 AM »
Ok seems I finally got it right duh Here we go!

Offline NAB

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2009, 10:55:52 AM »
She also had a problem with anything ending in "es" as plural.  I've heard phrases like, "put off your shoes'es please."

like in horses

Clothes
Monthes

My wife does the same.  I thought it was cute so I let her do it for a while.  I've since corrected her so she doesn't say it when talking to people.    ;D

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2009, 12:34:29 PM »

like in horses

Clothes
Monthes

My wife does the same.  I thought it was cute so I let her do it for a while.  I've since corrected her so she doesn't say it when talking to people.    ;D

My GF believes me most of the time but on this issue she was
convinced that she was right and I was wrong. It was her sister
who teaches English at a University who convinced her.

Offline BCKev

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »
Here's a couple of errors from a few years ago that we still get teased about:
My wife:  "Icy cream"
Me, describing my 18 yo daughter as :  "восемьдесят лет"

I still smile about this one every time I hear it, when my wife sets the alarm clock in the evening:  "What time stand up?"

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2009, 05:55:08 PM »
 Kev my friend Sveta says that as well.  " This morning when I stand up, I will go to the market."   ;D   
 She always wanted me to correct her if things weren't alright, but that was just too cute  :-*

BTW , I'm still disappointed this topic got transferred down to the  :offtopic: area..... :(

Online BC

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2009, 11:51:57 PM »
"I'm going to go hand up the clothes."

:-X

Online 2tallbill

Cute Things Former Soviet Girls Say
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2009, 11:12:06 AM »

BTW , I'm still disappointed this topic got transferred down to the  :offtopic: area..... :(

+ 1

Offline Chris

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
I really don't know why it was on Off Topic, but I have moved it here for now anyway.
Слава Україні

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2009, 12:05:51 PM »

Oh my! Let me guess--you said Мать (mother). It's so hard to know how to use that soft sign to soften the T. What you probably spoke was Мат and she is right. It's something...but it ain't "Mother!"  :)

To say Мать correctly, don't allow it to be an even syllable such as "maht." This is a word that even most cursing Russians would describe as obscene.

Instead, after you get by the "Ma" part, add the т with a distinctive "teh" sound--as in "Ma teh." We non-native speakers should ignore that soft sign and make sure we get the "teh" in there good and strong.  :chuckle: