The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Gifts for Women  (Read 5867 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Gifts for Women
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 09:48:53 PM »
Bill I think you've asked a great question. I have no advice, just some personal experiences:

One of my wife's favourite gifts when courting was a blue bear (she saw it at an outdoor exhibition and loved it) and I added flowers to make it more special. She made a painting of the flowers and the bear has a place of honour in our Moscow bedroom on a wardrobe.

Our young Mos State Univ student keeps a large and fluffy Mickey and Minnie Mouse set on the top of her wardrobe. But she also has an ipod (New Year gift) around her neck too.

My (70 +) MIL keeps a pair of slippers with a big fuzzy Grandfather Frost protruding out of each foot and when it's touched a voice shouts out "Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas" in English.  I gave her those 6 years ago and she'd never wear them because she gets so much fun hanging them on the wall at each New Year season.

My wife, being very artistic, is very particular about clothing. I have learned not to buy it as a gift, even underwear. However she likes to shop for those together. First time we did that she drug me into the dressing room with her at a Tsum boutique store. The sales lady was beside herself at what to do about it and I know we were the topic of conversation when we emerged.  :laugh:  I just handed the cashier a Visa card and smiled all the way home.

Gift disaster:
Although there was a vacuum in the black closet it was never used and my wife would use an old nonelectric push sweeper on the carpets and we'd sweep, then mop the parquet floors. MIL insisted that the old vacuum was too loud for the neighbors. One weekend while MIL and some relatives were on a monastery trip we purchased a small, quiet, lightweight vacuum which had settings for all types of flooring. It was used once or twice then put into the black closet with the older vac.

MIL says it was too loud, too big, not efficient, etc, and then about a year later she gave it away to a relative when I was traveling. My wife said we'd probably have been better off getting a new veg dicer/juicer for the kitchen. I have yet to figure that one out.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 10:28:22 PM »
First time we did that she drug me into the dressing room with her at a Tsum boutique store. The sales lady was beside herself at what to do about it and I know we were the topic of conversation when we emerged.  :laugh:

If I'm really there to buy a clothes and not for something else I don't need my husband in the dressing room, there is not enough room for me and my possible options. Usually he waits outside and likes every of my suggestions, so I don't really know why I bother to come out and ask for his opinion. It is written all over his face that he wants to get out as quickly as possible. Once we were in the shop where they didn't have a waiting area near changing rooms, shop assistant took a pity in him and brought him a chair, he accepted it with great appreciation, told her that it is an umpteen shop for him and returned to his newspaper  ;D

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 11:03:27 PM »
I'll admit we were newly married and other than the opportunity to give "first hand" feedback about the items she selected, we were in and out quickly (no pun intended). The smile on my face was over the consternation of the sales clerk and that I anticipated a more prolonged examination of those purchases upon arrival at home.  :loving:

WO, I'm a lot like your husband on most trips. Give me a place to sit and wake me up when the torture shopping is over.

Offline BelleZeBoob

Lingery guide
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 03:16:46 AM »
A suggestion for you guys on how to remember what size does your girlfriend have:
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline WestCoast

Re: Lingery guide
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 03:22:25 AM »
A suggestion for you guys on how to remember what size does your girlfriend have:

Belle, are you suggesting that men should be giving their girlfriends/wives bras for special occasions, like International Women's Day? :chuckle:
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline BelleZeBoob

Re: Lingery guide
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 03:50:12 AM »

Belle, are you suggesting that men should be giving their girlfriends/wives bras for special occasions, like International Women's Day? :chuckle:

It is up to them and their ladies.
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 04:26:21 AM »
Well I gave my Wife a very special present  ;D

ME

She had no idea I was arriving untill the day before  :party0011:
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark