The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Tula - Tу́ла - Толстого - Tolstoy  (Read 1770 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Tula - Tу́ла - Толстого - Tolstoy
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:04:23 PM »
Tula (Ту́ла)

Samovars and Accordians.

This industrial city in the European part of Russia is almost directly south of Moscow by 193 km, on the river Upa. The population is around 476,000 and Tula is the administrative center of Tula Oblast. Tula has existed since at least the 14th century however some historians believe that Tula should be identified with Taidula, an obscure locality mentioned in a chronicle under the year 1146.

Tula Kremlin walls.

Tula Kremlin map.

In 1712, Tula was visited by Peter the Great, who commissioned the Demidov blacksmiths to build the first armament factory in Russia. Several decades later, Tula was turned by the Demidovs into the greatest ironworking centre of Eastern Europe. The oldest museum in the city, showcasing the history of weapons, was inaugurated by the Demidovs in 1724. The first factory to produce samovars industrially was also established there in the course of the 18th century.

Museum of weapons.

Weapons factory.

A musical instrument, the Tula accordion, is named for the city, which is a center of manufacture for such instruments sold throughout Russia and the world. Tula is also renowned for traditional Russian pryaniki, cookies made with honey and gingerbread. In the West, Tula is perhaps best-known as the center of samovar production: the Russian equivalent of "coals to Newcastle" is "You don't take a samovar to Tula."

Famous for samovars.

A museum founded in 1724 displays a history of weapons. Yasnaya Polyana, the home of the writer Leo Tolstoy, is located 9 miles (14 km) southwest of Tula.

Tolstoy home.

Dining room.

Several USA companies see Tula as an excellent test market for Western Products.  Proctor & Gamble has made major inroads into Russian homes and Tula is often where the initial marketing will start. Still, P&G must adapt to the realities of a market where cash is scarce and the customer is skeptical. The keys: control production and distribution costs and keep prices at rock bottom. Consider:
• A box of Tide detergent that might cost $5 or $6 in the States costs 35 rubles, slightly more than $1.

• Shamtu shampoo, a lower-price brand created especially for the Russian market, costs 52 rubles, or about $1.50.

• A pack of 70 Pampers, imported from a P&G plant in Poland, costs 400 rubles, or about $13. In the United States, a similar package can sell for nearly $40.

P&G well represented in Tula supermarket.

Interesting trivia: Tula is older than Moscow by almost 100 years.

Offline mendeleyev

Re: Tula - Tу́ла - Толстого - Tolstoy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 01:22:55 PM »
Tula, continued

Tula wedding.

Museum sign.

Tula Square.

Tula town.

Tula train station.

Upa river.

Above: This church is all that is left of the Uspensky Convent, one of the earliest in Russia.  The domes, instead of being golden, were black at that time which was a sign that the monastery was for women only. The church is still active today but the Convent has been closed.

Tula rain.

Above: Tula is one of the first cities to manufacture Accordions, known in Russia as a "garmon" (гармонь).

Offline Manny

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:02:36 PM »
I have brought many Samovars and Accordions back from Estonia during my travels, most of them were made in Tula. (My wife kindly translates the writing on them for the subsequent eBay listings) My topic about one of my drives to Estonia documents a heap of Accordions I brought back; most were made in Tula.

My understanding is that Tula was a great manufacturing city in Soviet times, most famous for musical instruments
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:56:13 PM »
 :chuckle:  That's right, I'd forgotten that you had several of these!