The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Cherkassy - Черкаси  (Read 4587 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Cherkassy - Черкаси
« on: January 29, 2009, 04:43:06 PM »
Cherkassy (Черкаси)

Cherkasy is a city in central Ukraine. It is the capital of the Cherkasy Oblast (province), as well as the administrative center of the surrounding Cherkasky Raion (district) within the oblast. The city itself is also designated as its own separate raion within the oblast. The city is located on the bank of Dnieper River (specifically at the Kremenchuk Reservoir), about 200km south of the nation's capital, Kiev. The current estimated population is 280,700.

School class of 2008.

Citizens of Cherkassy are proud of the city’s  cultural past connected with famous Ukrainian writer Taras Shevchenko, prominent painter, Ukrainian actress Maria Zankovetskaya, writers Ivan Karpenko-Kariy, Pavlo Tychyna, Lesj Homin, Vasil Symonenko,  K.Paustovskiy and others.

Cherkassy has three state universities and several privately owned ones. There is Shevchenko Drama Theatre, the Cherkassy Philharmonic, Shevchenko Museum, Museum of Arts and also there is a Super League Basketball Club “Cherkassy’s Monkeys”.

Cherkassy is 169 kilometers away from Kiev. It takes 2,5 hours by car. Or you can take a marshrutka (small yellow bus) from metro station Kharkovskaya or Vokzalna. The fare is 50 Hryvnas.

Where to stay:
Hotel Dnepr - Frunze 13, phone                (0472) 54 03 04         
Hotel Ukraine - Lesnaya 1, phone                (0472) 32 10 51 

Where to eat:
Adriatika - Pasterovskaya 11, phone                (0472) 35 15 23         
Stary Gorod - Khreschatik 200, phone                (0472) 54 05 15   

Everybody visiting Cherkassy can’t miss a visit of the Glory Hill with a an impressive Motherland monument   The monument honours the men and women who lost their lives defending the  city from the Nazi invasion. Their names are inscribed on a wall below the hill. The sight from the hill includes a majestic view of the river and the lovely  Valley of Roses along the river.

Not far is the  Church of the  Holy Trinity. There is also a Roman-Catholic chapel. On August13,  2002, the biggest in Ukraine Orthodox St. Archangel Michael’s Cathedral that can house 12,000 people was unveiled. Not numerous but strong Jewish community is very active in the cultural life of the city.

Offline AkMike

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Cherkassy
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 05:08:19 PM »
Here's some pictures from my trips to our other home.

Pic 1 is of a beautiful building in the downtown area. It used to be a bank but now it's offices I think.

Pic 2 is of the largest Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Ukraine.

Pic 3 is of me at the "Lovers Bridge" in a beautiful park overlooking the Dnieper River.

Cherkassy is a very old city with alot of history and alot of pretty ladys. For some reason it appears to be off the beaten track though. I have met several yanks there and a few ex-pats are there too.

And of course there's the ever present statue of Lenin at  the citys center.
(edit; This what it'd look like if it were still there! LOL, I just learned that it was removed at the last mayorial changeover)

Since Cherkassy is somewhat off the main routes it is still a gold mine of beautiful women.
 It's on a rail line but there isn't direct trains to Kiev, but there is another town about 20 kms away that is. The road trip from KBP will take about 2 hours by car or bus. Taxi's are as little as 350 hyrivna if you know where to order the  cab. Bus travel from Kiev was 35 hyrivna.. We've done both many times. BUT you or your lady should know the ropes! The vultures at KBP will try to rip and gouge you for additional fare money if they suspect you're not a local. Prices must be negotiated at the beginning or you'll be at their mercy!
 There is an airfield but I haven't seen any scheduled flights come in there.
 Like Mendy has stated, it's at the top of the Kremenchug Reservoir near one of the only bridges over it in the area. It's a very long one that also has a railroad track crossing it.
Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline AkMike

Re: Cherkassy - Черкаси
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 06:27:32 PM »
If your travels take you to Cherkassy, it's an easy town to walk around. My starting point and a central location is the one and only McDonalds..  :laugh:

3 blocks behind there (north) is the main bazzar that mendy has posted pictures of already. It's 4 city blocks square and has hundreds of vendors. For me it's fun just to wander thru and look at the goods. You'll find everything from chickens to toothpaste at the same booth.. The meat house is a large round building in the center area of the bazzar. There you'll find every kind of meat that you can imagine. The FDA rules don't apply. Meat is cut off the carcass right in from of you on a butcher block with an ax!

It's very similar to what we had back years ago at the neighborhood butchers shoppe. No worries about spoiled meat either. I haven't gotten sick there yet. :sick0012:

There are several hotels in the downtown area. All of them are good. As is the restaurants there. I like the bar/restaurant called "Cocktails" just south of the Mickey D's , towards the river. Another favorite is called 'NIK's' . We had our wedding reception there!

Cherkassy is a chemical manufacturing town. They produce urea fertilizer made from natural gas  that is used in the region and around the world.  I've heard that it's one of the largest plants in the world. There is a plant that makes the little yellow buses. New ones are headed out everyday. Much of the oblast (area) is farmland with some of thew richest soils I've seen. No wonder Ukraine was known as the bread basket of the USSR.

Pic 1 is of an apt in the downtown area showing the wide parkways.

Pic 2 is a shot of the Dnieper River. It gets bigger downstream.

Pic 3 is some of the memorials to the 'Great Patrionic War.

Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline AkMike

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 07:03:50 PM »
Here's a picture of a very handsome couple just leaving the local Zags office.

Offline Boris

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »
Here's a picture of a very handsome couple just leaving the local Zags office.

Very Nice  :)

Offline AkMike

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 07:41:43 PM »
Thank You.. I'll toss some more up later on.
 I suspect that pic 4 couldn't be put up because it's labeled in cyrillic..
 Any thoughts Mendy? I'll get the boss to change it if so.

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 10:14:01 PM »
Very enjoyable photos!  Wow, who is the beautiful lady?!   :)

Mike, not sure as the cyrillic shouldn't keep it from posting.  Lets see if you can pass it along to me by PM and we'll get it posted.

Offline AkMike

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 10:52:37 PM »
Most of the pictures are on her `puter so we'll add them later on. She's excited about this project.. She'll be able to add things unknown to what's on the web.

"Wow, who is the beautiful lady?!  "

That's no Lady,,, That's my wife! ( yuck yuck,, I've always wanted to say that!) tiphat

Offline BelleZeBoob

Re: Cherkassy
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 11:21:38 PM »
Cherkassy is a very old city with alot of history and alot of pretty ladys. For some reason it appears to be off the beaten track though. I have met several yanks there and a few ex-pats are there too.

I like this photo best of all from the post ;)
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline AkMike

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 11:51:18 PM »
Spasiba! We'll have many more to add in a month and a half when we return.

Here's some from the downtown area. No clue who that guy is though... :drunk:

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 01:30:29 AM »
Nice pictures Mike
Слава Україні