The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian Phrases  (Read 38740 times)

Offline DarkMatter

Russian Phrases
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:01:49 PM »
I have a question, in the word:

ZDRAStvuytye

When spelled in Russian there is an extra *B* in between A and C (I don't know how to spell it out on an American keyboard)

Is it silent like such words in English:

Ballet? Where the T is silent?

The grass is greener on the other side!

Offline Ladagirl

• Meet Russian and Ukrainian Girls
  • Spouses Country: UK
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
Re: Russian Phrases
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 06:07:55 AM »
It is spelled in Russian: Здравствуйте

In Russian language, there are many words that have silent letters, the "в" is one in this word.

Another example is the word for ladder: лестница (Lesnitsa) where the "т" is silent also.

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 01:34:03 PM »

If you don't read books you will become illiterate.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:35:56 PM »
Phrase:

See you tomorrow.

До завтра = see you tomorrow/until tomorrow   "Da `zav-tra"

Welcome!

Добро пожаловать = welcome   "Da BRO  pa-ZHAL-la-vat"     Listen here.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 01:58:35 PM »
Phrases for "How are you?"

There are 4 common ways to ask someone "how are you?"

Each is important to learn because each has a socially accepted place and context. 

Formal: when meeting a stranger, someone important, a family member of a lady, etc.

Как поживаете?   "Kak  Puzh-ah-viy-yete"

Semi-formal: someone you know but the setting/context is formal, or meeting a family friend/elder in an informal setting yet you should show respect. This phrase takes the formal and loosens it just a bit.

Как поживаешь?    "Kak  Puzh-ah-viy-ish"

Informal: Among friends and family in casual settings...but NEVER an elderly person.

Как дела?   "Kak de-lah"

Slang: among best friends, buddies, in the most of informal settings.

Как ты?     "Kak tee"

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:17:20 PM »
Polite responses

You've been introduced and your future FIL says "Как поживаешь?" which means, How are you?

(You notice that he stayed formal, but one notch down to slightly formal.  He's being polite.  If he didn't like you, or even if he liked you but it were in a public place, he'd have stayed formal. However this is his home so he doesn't need to be so rigid, yet you're not "buds" and the culture will always require a certain respect/formality.)

Now in your reply pay close attention to the word order. I only bring this up because it's the way you'll hear it from others and so will be helpful for you to both use it in response and to learn to recognize it when it's spoken to you.

You want to say, "Fine, thank you. And how are you?"

Say it this way: Thank you. (Спасибо) I'm fine. (хорошо) And how are you? (А у вас?)

That sounds like "Spasiba, horošo. A u vas?"

Again: Спасибо, хорошо. А у вас?

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 11:51:19 AM »
Introductions

My name is.......  =  Меня зовут.......

Меня зовут ____________.  "Men`ya  za VOUT __________."

What is your name? =  Как Вас зовут?

Как Вас зовут?  "Kak  Vas  za VOUT?"

It's nice to meet you = очень приятна

Literally, "it's very pleasant" = "OH-chen  pre Yat nah"

Offline Tamara

• Online Russian Teacher and Translator
    • Prime Language Services
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 12:59:58 PM »
Polite responses

You've been introduced and your future FIL says "Как поживаешь?" which means, How are you?

(You notice that he stayed formal, but one notch down to slightly formal.  He's being polite.  If he didn't like you, or even if he liked you but it were in a public place, he'd have stayed formal. However this is his home so he doesn't need to be so rigid, yet you're not "buds" and the culture will always require a certain respect/formality.)

Now in your reply pay close attention to the word order. I only bring this up because it's the way you'll hear it from others and so will be helpful for you to both use it in response and to learn to recognize it when it's spoken to you.

Say it this way: Thank you. (Спасибо) I'm fine. (хорошо) And how are you? (А у вас?)

Mendy, I have a slight doubt / question on this.  If one was asked the question Как поживаешь?, you would not really respond with: А у вас? 

If you were asked Как (у вас) дела?, then А у вас? seems logical. However, if you were asked Как поживаешь? the question in response would be А вы (А как вы поживаете)?
Prime Language Services
Live Online Russian Lessons and Translations

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »
Slight doubt? Tamara you are being way too nice to your friend Mendeleyev! 

But thank you and of course you are right. I was thinking in informal terms and forget about making the change following ешь.  :THUB:

As Tamara has demonstrated the response in that case would be: А вы? (And you?)

(For those who know of Tamara on RUA, but don't know what she does, she is an awesome teacher of Russian!)

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 03:42:40 PM »
Phrase of the weekend:

Белые грибы со сметаной = ‘White Mushrooms’ with Smetana (sour cream).

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 11:32:17 PM »

As Orthodox Easter will be upon us in a couple weeks, the next few phrases will be religious in nature.  First, have you heard your lady say something like "Slava Boo-goh?"

It's a common expression: слава богу = thank God.

She lost her purse but upon finding it made the sign of the cross and said, слава богу. You were walking together in a crowd and lost each other momentarily. Upon seeing you moments later she breathed a sigh of relief and said слава богу. Depending on the lady its not necessarily religious per se, but just an expression of relief.

Let's dissect the phrase quickly to learn from it. бог is the word for God. Putting the letter "ooh" (у) at the end of it is a grammatical form to match the two words.

слава means "glory." In a way by saying слава богу you're saying "glory (to) God."  But the most common translation is "thank God."

Okay, we're done with this phrase. слава богу!

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 02:17:49 PM »
Sometimes you wish to give someone your business card. Here is how to do that.

Вот моя визитка = Here is my card.   "Vot maYAH vi zitka"

Helpful hint: that 'vi' is really rushed and should be no more than the faintest whisper as you literally jam that sound into the front of "Zitka." It's really, really fast.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 04:37:07 PM »
One evening you call to ask for your lady. Her mother says to you something which sounds like "Mi nout ku." 

Ah, she is saying "just a moment."

Минутку = just a moment/just a minute.  "Mi nout ku"

Its really very simple and you learn this one easily!

So next time your lady calls, say Минутку "Mi nout ku" and then pause 10 seconds. When you come back on the line hopefully she will be suitably impressed with your good Russian telephone etiquette.  :)

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 05:17:35 PM »
Polite responses

Mendy, I teach myself a little Russian so I am always wrong
I say it like this

a u tebya ?

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »
Beeeeel, but she gets the point.  :chuckle:   In order for others to understand you, ask her to teach you the best phrase. She likely knows the context best (such as formal or informal) when you have the opportunity to use that phrase.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 11:04:24 PM »
Teaching your lady how to speak...Russian

Given the relatively young ages of the Russian ladies our members visit and marry, I'm going to give you the opportunity to teach her some Russian.

Unless the lady you've chosen is about age 85+, it's likely that your gal will be very surprised as I'm guessing you are about to teach her something she doesn't know. About Russian language!

You will need this someday because when she comes to the West and begins to study English along about year 2-4 she will become an certified expert on English grammar. So much so that you are going to get real tired of having her correct your lapses in English grammar!   :chuckle:

So grab this once in a lifetime opportunity for oneupmanship cause you're gonna need it!

Many years ago there was a common expression which Russians would use to express thanks, appreciation and gratitude. That expression sounded like this "May God keep you safe." (Or, May God save you.)  So when someone did something nice for your great grandmother she likely responded with "May God keep you safe" as a way to show her gratitude.

Russians still say that today, but over time the meaning has been shortened.

You've said it yourself.

It was probably one of the first Russian phrases you learned. Only you thought it was a word and didn't know it was a phrase.

I know you've said "spaci." спаси is rooted in the word meaning rescue or save (the idea of "safe").

The next part, "бо," is short for бог the Russian term for God.

Spa-si-ba (спасибо) has over time come to mean "thank you" in modern Russian.

But it meant much more than simply "thank you" to your gal's great grandparents.

Great-grandma knew the real meaning of спасибо--"May God keep you safe." It was the way she verbally expressed her thanks and gratitude.

So to each of you I'd like to say спасибо!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 05:24:29 AM »
Some more stress questions Mendy!

My name is.......  =  Меня зовут.......

Меня зовут ____________.  "Men`ya  ZA vout __________."

I think 'зовут' should be 'za-VOOT' ie stress on second syllable - the unstressed 'o' gives it away for me!

Welcome!

Добро пожаловать = welcome   "Da BRO  PA-žha-la-vat"

I think that s/be 'pa-ZHAL-avat' - again the unstressed 'o' in the first syllable means the stress can't be there as you show in 'Добро/Da BRO'.

Sorry to sound like the awkward one at the back of the class!

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 11:12:07 AM »
No bother at all. I'm not always at the top of my game--just ask my friend OlgaM!

You are obviously a good student and with your lady's help and your diligence, making great progress.

I think 'зовут' should be 'za-VOOT' ie stress on second syllable - the unstressed 'o' gives it away for me! I think that s/be 'pa-ZHAL-avat' - again the unstressed 'o' in the first syllable means the stress can't be there as you show in 'Добро/Da BRO'.[/

Yes, you are right on both counts as an unstressed O is coverted to "ah."  :)

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 06:50:56 PM »
A few days ago we introduced the word Минутку "Mi nout ku" which means "a moment" as in just a moment.  Now lets build that to it's natural conclusion.

Lets learn how to say "one moment."

Одну минуту  "Aud-neu (or Odd-neu) Mi nout ku." 

That was easy! Oops, I have to run because the phone is ringing. Одну минуту.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 10:43:01 AM »
Thanking your lady for her love

For those of you learning the Cyrillic alphabet and it's phonetic sounds, you've noticed that the word "LOVE" любовь, ends with a B (veh).  (A soft sign (ь) at the end of a word is is not considered the last "letter.") 

Perhaps you've probably wondered why if it ends with B (veh) is it spoken as "lu-bofh" instead of "lu bovh?" 

It's a grammar rule and without an extended explanation, at the end of a word a B (veh) is always spoken as it's "counterpart" which is an ф "efh."

Just remember that the soft sign remains with the new sound so make sure that you soften the "efh."

And since "for" (за or "za") is a preposition, it is not spoken separately.  The correct method is to make it part of the next word.  Just jam it all together like this:  zalu-bofh.

So let's practice the phrase, "spa-see-ba  zalu-BOfh."

Спасибо за любовь, thanks for love!

Listen to it being sung by Ирина Понаровская .

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »
These next two short phrases are comments from a conversation between Rasputin and myself in another thread. As they are fairly common and very useful, lets introduce them.

I said: Вы правы which means you are right/correct.  "Viy prav-iy"

He replied: Конечно я прав which means of course/certainly I'm right/correct.  "KA nech-nah  ya  prav" For some it helps to take the ch sound and in this word make it more like zh, but listen first at the link below and they make sure your way of speaking it mirrors the ladies on the link.

You may copy and paste those words or even the phrases into this handy speaking tool to hear them as spoken by native Russians.

Learn these phrases and you'll be pleased to discover how often you can use them in a normal conversation.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 03:56:28 PM »
Mendy, I was taught to pronounce it 'kanYESHna' - In my Russian Grammar I remember reading about a rule why the CH becomes a SH - I'll dig it out tomorrow. Stress in the middle - two unstressed 'o''s the clue for me!

Ste, the annoying kid at the back of the class messing about...

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 04:43:06 PM »
Mendy, I was taught to pronounce it 'kanYESHna'

I like your transliteration much better, Ste. It flows very naturally.

I believe the rule is that certain consonants (hard/unpalatalized) change when following a soft vowel must change. If memory serves, e (ye) is one of those soft vowels which triggers the rule.

EDIT: Okay, Ste, you're right about the vowel (in this case the e) taking the stress between two unstressed O's. Good work! And the ch hard consonant cannot remain in that form after the stress on the soft vowel.   :'(

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 05:25:32 PM »
Mendy, I was taught to pronounce it 'kanYESHna'

I like your transliteration much better, Ste. It flows very naturally.

I believe the rule is that certain consonants (hard/unpalatalized) change when following a soft vowel must change. If memory serves, e (ye) is one of those soft vowels which triggers the rule.

EDIT: Okay, Ste, you're right about the vowel (in this case the e) taking the stress between two unstressed O's. Good work! And the ch hard consonant cannot remain in that form after the stress on the soft vowel.   :'(

Then I am Teachers Pet!

Ur apple is in the post!

Ste the Swot

PS for interest - I did the language before the girl -  know what 'hooked' me? When I was about 11 we went on a school trip on the Manchester Ship Canal (it's google-able!) and after six hours arrived in Liverpool 30 miles way, where we saw some huge Soviet Tankers. My teacher, Mrs Hall, most likely dead now, could, to my utter amazement, read the Cyrillic on the bows of the boats, that got me! I wanted to do that - I and I did and I can!

And so can my kids!

From that in the UK we had in about 1981 a TV series to teach us 'Russian Language and People' on BBC, which I have on Torrent if anyone's interested. Was Soviets teaching us Brits Russian language - loved it.

Also I am a confirmed Socialist, the Ying to Manny's Thatcherite Milk-stealing Yang!

Offline chivo

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 05:38:03 AM »
Polite responses

Mendy, I teach myself a little Russian so I am always wrong
I say it like this

a u tebya ?

Not wrong Bill, just an informal way of saying it. А у вас is just formal, but best remembered to know when to say it to show respect. Just a small part of the language that drives me crazy as well because I tend to forget this very important part of it. Russians are pretty cool about because I'm not a native speaker, and they know I'm trying. I still would like to speak it correctly.  :)

Вы правы should be said differently if you're addressing someone informally like a lady as opposed to a man, as in the conversation between Mendy and Rasputin. (Ти) права to a woman for instance, to show gender. Also illustrated by Rasputin's reply using прав.

I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get this language right. Good luck

chivo