The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: St Petersburg Leningrad Ленингра́д Санкт-Петербу́рг Petrograd Петрогра́д ́  (Read 32215 times)

Offline jesia

Great photos! Love Peter, I think it is one of the most beautiful cities! Rainy and romantic,  Northern Capital, Peter's "window to Europe"...
Just want to add some more pics to your post!^_^

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Jesia, we like your additions!

Please look over this section and help suggest which cities to add next, okay?  tiphat

Offline mendeleyev

Note to members: Please click on Jesia's photo above. It opens into a very nice slide show with good photos from St Petersburg.

Offline jesia

Jesia, we like your additions!

Please look over this section and help suggest which cities to add next, okay?  tiphat

ok, I will do it with pleasure ^^
But tomorrow I should return from Moscow to Beijing, so these 2 days i won't have any free time, but I know already what i want to add here. I want to write about Solovki! Love Solovki deeply and I have so many photos  of this wonderful place! And I will think about interesting Russian towns too!=)

Offline dwfunk

Google Street View comes to Russia: Санкт-Петербу́рг
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 10:36:13 AM »
Google street view is coming to Russia:

Neighborhood where we lived in Petersburg:

наб реки мойки   (Moika River Embankment)
http://g.co/maps/2st5m

Yes, you can drive through here:
http://g.co/maps/ht524

This leads into the courtyard.  We shared an entrance with a "hotel" actually a small but nice B&B.

-david

Offline mendeleyev

Touring St Petersburg: The Hermitage
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 11:43:24 PM »
This is not a one day project so like our series on Moscow, we'll develop a feature on Saint Petersburg, step by step, one page at a time.

Offline mendeleyev

Re: Touring St Petersburg: The Hermitage
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 11:46:12 PM »

Quick! What is the Russian word for cat?

кот (koht), or the more affectionate term of кошка (kosh-ka).

Now, how do you spell mousetrap in just three letters? C-A-T!

What do you use to comb a cat? A catacomb.

Okay, enough cat jokes. Let's get serious for a moment because if you're a cat lover then you know how easily one of these furry friends can in no time have you wrapped around their paws.

Cats are generally loved and adored in Russia. In fact, the breed called Russian Blue is thought  to have originated in the Russian port city of Arkhangelsk. A Russian Blue is a beautiful cat with a silver-blue coat. These cats are regarded as highly intelligent and playful yet timid around strangers. Many Russians claim to seek them out because of their intelligence and willingness to share affection with their owners.

Catherine the great loved cats too. She loved them so much that she had carriages loaded with cats brought from the far reaches of Russia to Saint Petersburg. Her thinking was that if the Cossacks were good enough to guard the palaces, then Russia's finest cats could be trusted to keep mice and rats on the run, too.

Today, a special group of cats guard the famous Hermitage complex in Saint Petersburg and these cats are treated like royalty.

Just watch:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/17E_zvLyvqk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/17E_zvLyvqk</a>

(Disclosure: A sponsorship relationship exists between the Mendeleyev Journal and Viking River Cruises.)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nknkO1I30hM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nknkO1I30hM</a>

Offline mendeleyev

Today is a significant milestone and cause for celebrations across Piter.

Just two months after the Soviet Union was attacked by Germany, Nazi troops were on Leningrad's doorstep. The Germans had successfully outflanked the Red Army and the clock started on what would become the longest siege of the war. From 8 September 1941 to 27 January 1944, the siege of Leningrad lasted 900 days.

To full understand the siege I recommend the movie Attack on Leningrad, the story of Kate Davies, a foreign journalist who was presumed dead and left behind. The story of how she survived without a ration card and the death all around her, is one which will shape your perception of that event forever.

It can be viewed with English subtitles on YouTube for $1.99. Best two-dollar movie you could view in a lifetime.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Trips: 5-10
Today is a significant milestone and cause for celebrations across Piter.

Just two months after the Soviet Union was attacked by Germany, Nazi troops were on Leningrad's doorstep. The Germans had successfully outflanked the Red Army and the clock started on what would become the longest siege of the war. From 8 September 1941 to 27 January 1944, the siege of Leningrad lasted 900 days.

(Attachment Link)

To full understand the siege I recommend the movie Attack on Leningrad, the story of Kate Davies, a foreign journalist who was presumed dead and left behind. The story of how she survived without a ration card and the death all around her, is one which will shape your perception of that event forever.

(Attachment Link)

It can be viewed with English subtitles on YouTube for $1.99. Best two-dollar movie you could view in a lifetime.

I watched the film on Netflix a few weeks ago.  A great flick.
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Tom Cat

Nice little article about Peter.

Winter in Saint Petersburg: 'Like Stepping Into a Russian Novel

http://russia-insider.com/en/culture/winter-saint-petersburg-stepping-russian-novel/ri12066
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

Offline Tom Cat

Offline Tom Cat

Six facts about St. Petersburg's least-known cathedral

January 21, 2017 ANNA POPOVA, SPECIAL TO RBTHThe restoration of one of St. Petersburg’s largest but least-known houses of worship, the Trinity Cathedral, started 21 years ago and is finally completed. We look at six of the most important facts from the cathedral’s history

http://rbth.com/arts/2017/01/21/six-facts-about-st-petersburgs-least-known-cathedral_685501

Offline Tom Cat

Offline Tom Cat

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
Everything you need to know about St. Petersburg's 5 main cathedrals

http://rbth.com/travel/destinations/petersburg/2017/04/12/everything-you-need-to-know-about-st-petersburgs-5-main-cathedrals_739987

Thanks for sharing, Tom Cat!  :thumbsup:

"Forming a majestic semicircle around the Kazan Cathedral, the colonnade resembles that of St. Peter's Cathedral in the Vatican, but its true purpose is to mask the fact that the real facade is turned away from Nevsky Prospect, the city's main avenue. According to the church’s architectural canons, the altar must face the East.

Presently, the colonnade is closed to visitors, but the cathedral itself opens every day in the morning, and admission is free because it is an active church with services held daily."

Just my luck, i visited it as a teen in late 80ies, while it wasn't active, but a museum... It was impressive back then too, you'd get earphones and something like "walkman" (if i remember correctly, anyway, some audio device ), you could choose the language and then you'd walk from one marked point to another and listen to the story... I feel sorry i didn't have the time to visit it again, when i went back to St. Petersburg, i do believe nowadays it's an all another/ mind blowing experience.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Tom Cat

Offline Tom Cat

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Tom Cat

Offline Tom Cat

Offline Tom Cat

Offline Tom Cat

Registration