The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Do You Send Money Back To Her Family And If So, How Much?  (Read 71792 times)

Offline Rasputin

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Do You Send Money Back To Her Family And If So, How Much?
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 07:23:49 AM »
Our answer the question, do we send money back to her family, is no.
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 07:53:35 AM »
Anyone happens to know about pre-paid cards that can be charged from an international bank account?

As far as I know we don't have pre-paid cards in NL :'( I bought some card from Travelex in the UK, but these don't allow reloading from international bank accounts. They told me that 'due to UK regulations they can only allow payments from UK accounts  ???'

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 08:03:06 AM »
Anyone happens to know about pre-paid cards that can be charged from an international bank account?

As far as I know we don't have pre-paid cards in NL :'( I bought some card from Travelex in the UK, but these don't allow reloading from international bank accounts. They told me that 'due to UK regulations they can only allow payments from UK accounts  ???'

If you have a solid relationship, you can easily get 2 cards on 1 bank account and give one to your girlfriend. I did the same, never any problem (ABN-Amro)
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 08:40:17 AM »

If you have a solid relationship, you can easily get 2 cards on 1 bank account and give one to your girlfriend. I did the same, never any problem (ABN-Amro)

I know that, but since I only have 1 account which holds "all my money" and is used for all my banking operations so that's not the prefered option at this time ;)

It seems Argenta offers a free bank account including card :) They don't charge for foreign withdrawels (except for the part that might be charged by the foreign bank  8) )

I guess I'll just open an account there :)

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 01:24:22 PM »
What is the cheapest way of sending money to Russia?

My girlfriend has said she will want to send some money back to her mum once she starts working.

Is there any way of doing this cheaper than the £20 banks charge for international transfers?

From the USA to my contract software engineers in Ukraine, Russia and Romania I used to use Western Union till I got tired of the 10% money transfer fees - so now I use MoneyGram at WalMart -  cash pickup agent locations in almost every major city in FSU and no hassle for the folks to pick up - really just have to have their IDs - I like to add a "Pass Phrase" as well so that not just any Hairy Borchick can snag the money - almost always send in $500 to $600 amounts for $9.00 fee from any WalMart and because any xfers over some crazy arbitrary number like $847.39 and then you have to supply ID.  Of course now I have to supply ID when I want to buy over the counter decongestant - I guess the BushWahckers were afraid we might set up a Crystal Meth lab with one or two months supply????

Any way this is the best and easiest way to send money without prying eyes - WalMart seems to have cornerd the market in Latino Americano cash transfers with MoneyGram.  Good FSU coverage too.  Probably sent 100 MoneyGram payments to FSU over the past 2 years and NEVER a problemski :) :money: :bow:

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 01:56:32 PM »
Thanks Chris, hadn't thought of that option.

Seems like there are a lot of cards, some charging a flat £3 fee for withdrawals, some a percentage.

Found this site which might be of use to others too:

[link removed at website owners request]

There are quite a few different types now that you could use, but being able to top up the card online direct from my bank was a lot easier for me, and also you can view statements online, two reasons why I went for the Virgin card.
Слава Україні

Offline AkMike

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 03:09:52 PM »
We sent a debit card from our local credit union to my stepson for emergencys, or misc gifts and expenses. I came in very handy for a medical problem with the DIL.
  I'll top it off if and when it's needed. Send the PIN number after it arrives safely via email.
 The card is in Tanya's name but so far no problems with any withdraws.
Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline Bobalouie

• Names Ash....Housewares
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 09:15:05 PM »
I set up a second free checking account at my bank that didnt have a minimum balance amount and linked it to my main account. That way, I could go online and transfer however much she needed from my main account into the second account so she could withdraw it.  It kept my main bill paying funds separate, so if someone used some ATM fraud device, they couldnt get any money from my main account.  I took the card to her on one of my trips, and gave her the pin number.  The card was in my name, but she didnt have any problems using it.
Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!

Offline Corp

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 07:51:23 PM »
We have been sending 100. per month via a visa Check card.
"Ah Courtship, It Really is Theater..."

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 04:58:19 AM »
I send $ 200.00 per month using emoneygram.   Same outfit that WalMart uses that was mentioned earlier except I can do it online in one minute and it is very inexpensive.    I pay around 10 bucks to send it.    They don't have quite as many agents as Western Union but in our case one of the ones they had was more conveniently located than the WU agents so it worked out well.   I have been very happy with it.

Offline Johnichka

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 08:44:09 AM »
It was interesting that I sent money back to Nadvirna Ukraine to her Mom and Dad via Moneygram this week  - have been sending funds for well over a year & 1/2, never any problem with them receiving US dollars at the bank where they pick up the money. 

This time, (even though I specified US Dollars) the bank would not give US dollars - only hryvna.  The bank told her mom that she can come back another day to pick up the transfer and they still will only provide hryvna.....US Dollars are in high demand.........

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
Dollars to Ukraine
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2009, 06:41:44 AM »

This time, (even though I specified US Dollars) the bank would not give US dollars - only hryvna. 

The bank told her mom that she can come back another day to pick up the transfer and they still will only provide hryvna...

US Dollars are in high demand...

That is maybe due to the fact that the "official" rate UAH \ USD is 7,1 \ 1, while "market" rate is 15 \ 1  :innocent:

Banks have to use the "official" rate, but it's obviously not profitable for them   ::)
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Johnichka

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi Ukraine
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 07:29:32 AM »
Yes, indeed.

She actually got 8.40 at the bank but could have gotten more out on the street. But even the "market" individuals on the street are becoming scarce....

Offline dorbradavid

• Professor and Sailor
  • Spouses Country: United States
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2009, 07:21:51 AM »
$400 - we use Ikobo.
Dobra David

Offline windchimes

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2009, 03:58:07 AM »
Not money in the form of cash. However, there are so many good deals on womens clothing over here that are not over there. My wife complains that there are never any "sales" or "clearance sales" over there. She can't resist buying something and sending it to her sisters. Postage is naturally high :money:. I really have no problem with it.  Otherwise, the cash going over seas is pretty tame.

Offline Simoni

• Sometimes known as Rocket Man.
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2009, 05:24:36 PM »
MIL is here now, so we are using this opportunity to load her up with medicine and new clothes.  And the wife is even getting her neat makeup :-)
And I think it's going to be a long, long time...

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2009, 12:12:20 AM »
Checking my card on weekly basis, my mum is sitting on $500 and not touching it  :'(

Offline ecocks

• Always willing to help.
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2009, 09:53:40 AM »
Before leaving Ukraine we trained babushka on using a debit card to support her and my stepson. She uses it as needed and I'm very comfortable with it.

Offline jlogajan

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2009, 11:21:06 PM »
I can barely get my wife to take money, let alone get her family to take money.  When she goes home to visit, since she is now unemployed, by necessity I can get her to take some cash to live on.  I've asked a number of times to send the family some money to make up for my wife's lost income contribution to the family pool.  But that hasn't been welcomed. 

Offline TomT

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2009, 03:02:57 AM »
Many debit cards incur foreign transaction fees but they are a convenient way to eliminate trips to a Western Union/MoneyGram office and transfer number issues.

I would be remiss, however, if I failed to mention that the use of a debit card by a non-listed party might constitute fraud, depending on the wording of the agreement. With this in mind, it would be wise to notify one's bank that YOU intend to use this card while you are abroad. (Running off at the mouth is rarely a good thing and ignorance is never an acceptable excuse.)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2009, 03:09:20 AM »

I would be remiss if I did not mention that the use of a debit card by a non-listed party might constitute fraud, depending on the wording of the agreement. With this in mind, it would be wise to notify one's bank that YOU intend to use this card while you are abroad. (Running off at the mouth is rarely a good thing.)

Thats a very valid point Tom, and one I discussed with my bank at the time, in fact I actually told them my Fiance would be using my card in Ukraine and to my surprise, they were quite happy with the arrangement, but of course pointed out that it would be me who was responsible for any fees and charges, but as it was a non status card that I gave her that had to be topped up with my own cash prior to using it, there was no risk to either party.
Слава Україні

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2009, 03:38:00 AM »
To get around the "fraud" issue, in the UK one can buy an Visa electron card, or even a pre-paid credit card ( normally Mastercard) and send the card to the FSU..

When it arrives -send them the pin and it is cheaper than WU/ MGram, et all

The card is in the name of the end USER, but is controlled - over the web - by the accountholder at the UK end.

Very useful to have both sorts as Electron work out better to draw local currency, and Credit card better for buying shopping and airline tickets locally.

Wifey use this method for her mum to pay local taxes, etc.,  for the apartment she retains back "home"...

I'm guessing there must be similar schemes in N. America and mainland Europe..

I apologise to Sparky114  if you already posted this info -  as  I know he does a similar thing.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline TomT

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2009, 05:21:52 AM »
Perhaps I should have noted that I have no idea about European bank policy and that debit account agreements may vary considerably within the U.S. In any case, it's always a good idea to read one what is signing.

A fellow on the original Russian/Western forum gave an anonymous correspondent access to all of his liquid funds. After she cleaned him out, he attempted to reverse the transactions. Needless to say, his bank was not amused. (The other forum members were, though.)

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2009, 07:34:48 AM »
I would be remiss, however, if I failed to mention that the use of a debit card by a non-listed party might constitute fraud, depending on the wording of the agreement. With this in mind, it would be wise to notify one's bank that YOU intend to use this card while you are abroad. (Running off at the mouth is rarely a good thing and ignorance is never an acceptable excuse.)   

True.  To avoid this problem we went ahead and put my mother-in-law on the joint account.  I have no fear whatsoever that she would ever attempt to abuse the trust we have in her.  To avoid problems with lost cards and unauthorized transactions, we never keep more than a few thousand dollars in the account.   
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline BBQ

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2009, 08:34:13 AM »
Yes I pay for all my step-son's expenses which is between $250-$300 a month.  We are in the process of getting his visa.  It has been about 7 months so I figure at least another 1.5 years before it is approved.  I've heard they usually take between 2-7 years with 4 years being an average.  Tried to get him here on a tourist and a student visa, both were denied.  We just have to wait for the process and ride it out.
Married 5 Jul 08

Registration