The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Evpatoria - Євпаторія - Евпатория - Evpatorie - Kozlov - Ggozieve - Kerkinitida  (Read 4675 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Evpatoria (Євпаторія/Евпатория)

First we need to settle on a name.  Built by the Greeks, the city had several names, originally called Kerkinitida, then Ggozieve, later Kozlov, and today Evpatoria.  Or is it Evpatorie?

Eupatoria is the Greek pronunciation and this cannot be discounted as Greece has remained very interested in the modern day future of the city--enough to have shelled out 25 Million dollars in renovations and improvements in 2007-2008 to the city.  That's a rather sizeable chunk of money.

The Ukrainian and Russian ways of saying the name are almost identical, "Yev-pa-toria" (Ukrainian: Євпаторія, Russian: Евпатория, Crimean Tatar: Kezlev).

Evpatoria is on the peninsula of Crimea in the Ukraine and is one of the oldest cities in the world. The city of Evpatoria is counted among the four ancient cities of Ukraine (Kerch, Evpatoria, Feodocia, Belgrod-Dnestrovsky). These cities arose before the time of Christ and continued as urban settlements to our era. Evpatoria has three historic names and the ancient history of the city is preserved in numerous archaeological and architectural monuments.

The city was founded as a Greek city-state in the 6th century B.C. The first 200 years it existed as a sovereign state and had internal self-government, a system of intergovernmental agreements, taxation, customs duties, a military force, and its own mint. Kerkinitedian coins were poured, then minted; especially interesting are the unusual shapes of the coin: ‘pointers’ in the form of arrow tips and coin ‘fish’ in the form of sturgeons.

The first settlers came from Greece in 600 B.C. Today the city has a population of over 120,000 and is over 2500 years old. The Han-Jami (Khan) Mosque or Juma-Jami (Cathedral Five) Mosque was constructed in 1552 by the great Turkish architect Sinan Hodji. Greek by origin, he like many of the Renaissance age, had an encyclopedic education, and was not only an architect and military engineer but also a mathematician and astronomer. A creation by Sinan Hodji was the peak of the development of Ottoman architecture.

Crimea’s largest orthodox cathedral is located in Evpatoria (designed by architect A.I. Bernardatzi). A main throne is devoted to Saint Nikulous, protector of travelers and navigators. The cathedral was constructed in 1893 in memory of the 1956 liberation of the city from English, French, Turkish, and Sardinian troops and was sanctified in 1899. Its construction took 178,000 Roubles.

Wish to call someone in Evpatoria? + 380 (Country Code) + 6569 (City Code) + Telephone Number.  For some excellent photos from RUA moderator Mark, follow this link: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=4882.0

This young couple enjoys a Evpatoria night club.

Here is a nice YouTube video of the city:

City online directory of businesses and services: http://www.kalamit.info/index.php?p=index&area=1

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
Evpatoria, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 10:51:08 PM »
We may well be seeking to buy a flat in Evpatoria. If anyone has any advice about the town, I'd love to hear it. So far, the few flats I have seen on the Internet seem quite expensive--but with English language sites, that is always an issue from what I've seen.

We will of course be looking at Ukrainian resources, especially as we begin to get very serious about things. If you have friends, relatives, or connections there I would love to hear about them as well.

From what I've learned thus far, it seems to be a fascinating blend of tourist-oriented beach town with extensive medical treatment facilities. The environment is said to be among the best in UKraine by a good bit, and the climate seems quite pleasant also.

Anyway, please let me know of any info you may have.

Thanks in advance!

David

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • "Helping People Understand Each Other"
    • OdessaGuide.Net
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Evpatoria, anyone?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 04:49:13 AM »
I live 70 km from Yevpatoria and have been there several times. Twice with Markje.

I am a bit skeptical about property there, this town is less popular than Sevastopol or Yalta… but who knows.

What is nice about Yevpatoria is the sea is much warmer than in Yalta though. And there are magnificent lakes around.

Property prices are still ridiculous in Ukraine despite the recession.
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:22:16 AM »

I am a bit skeptical about property there, this town is less popular than Sevastopol or Yalta… but who knows.

I'm pretty sure Yalta has pebbles beach, while Eupatoria a sandy one; what about Sevastopol?  ???

I don't think there are many chances for a quiet seaside holiday with Sevastopol being a naval base on the Black sea?

Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 08:36:39 AM »

I'm pretty sure Yalta has pebbles beach, while Eupatoria a sandy one; what about Sevastopol?  ???

I don't think there are many chances for a quiet seaside holiday with Sevastopol being a naval base on the Black sea?

Yep, location is everything. A lot of Russian rich folk visit Evpatoria and buy their homes for a care-free holiday. That pushes prices upwards too.

I heard the Russian church in Evpatoria is one of the richest in all of Ukraine.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
Evpatoria has a very famous and large mosque as well as the largest Orthodox cathedral in Crimea. There are also *many* sanatoriums there, and it is especially noted for medical treatment of children of all ages.

From what I understand, too, the beach in Evpatoria itself and the large one just North of the city are both sand beaches, while there is a pebble beach South of the city. The various sites also say the Black Sea is quite shallow through most of the area, which means it warms up more quickly and thus the swimming season is longer there than in many other places around. There is a shallow salt water lake, too, which is known for its mineral-laden mud that is used as a medicinal treatment for various conditions.

My reading also has indicated that Evpatoria is one of the oldest cities around--over 2,500 years, in fact, or about a thousand years older than Kiev, for example. It is one of the four "ancient cities" of Ukraine--which also includes Feodosia and Kerch, but I don't recall the fourth offhand.

So far, it appears to be quite an attractive place in many regards. I should know fairly soon if it is something we'll pursue seriously. I suspect we'll have to visit to find out if there is a flat we can afford, however.

My brother in law may be able to help in that regard if he gets the job he is applying for there.

David

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
My reading also has indicated that Evpatoria is one of the oldest cities around--over 2,500 years, in fact, or about a thousand years older than Kiev, for example. It is one of the four "ancient cities" of Ukraine--which also includes Feodosia and Kerch, but I don't recall the fourth offhand.

Quite old, began in 600 BC, as indicated in the page above.

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
    • OdessaGuide.Net
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 01:10:17 AM »

Sevastopol does not have many beaches. Mainly they are rock beaches that is there is a lot of stones big and small there.

The naval base is not in the way of vacationmakers.
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net

Offline pnet

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 09:02:54 PM »

Sevastopol does not have many beaches. Mainly they are rock beaches that is there is a lot of stones big and small there.

The naval base is not in the way of vacationmakers.

For examle photo of wild beach from Chersonesos Taurica:

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
    • OdessaGuide.Net
That is where I usually swim when I go to Sevastopol. Sometimes even at the beginning of October.

Not this one, though.
Igor Kalinin
www.odessaguide.net

Registration