The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Sumy (Ukrainian: Суми, Russian: Сумы)  (Read 6125 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Sumy (Ukrainian: Суми, Russian: Сумы)
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:51:07 PM »
Sumy (Ukrainian: Суми, Russian: Сумы)

Sumy at a glance--
City website: http://online.sumy.ua/
Population 288,000.
Capital of Sumy Oblast
Most famous person from Sumy: Viktor Yushchenko, former President of Ukraine
Video of city:

Sumy is a Ukrainian city in northeastern Ukraine, on the Ps'ol River, about 145 km (about 90 mi) northwest of Kharkov. The city centre was once dominated by the large cathedral of the Saviour's Transfiguration. It is a neoclassical structure of the 18th century, extensively repaired and reconstructed in 1858 and in the 1880s, when the 56 metre (180 ft) high bell tower was added. The interior features frescoes by Vladimir Makovsky and Klavdiy Lebedev.

The Resurrection Church (1702), the oldest structure in the town, is still in fair preservation, owing to recent restoration work. The cathedral of the monastery of St. Pantaleon was erected in 1911 to a design by Aleksey Shchusev and is scored to resemble medieval monuments of Novgorod and Pskov.

A cultural and industrial center in a rich agricultural region growing grain and sugar beets, Sumy is served by highways, rail, and an airport. Manufactures of Sumy include machines, instruments (including electron microscopes), fertilizers, and paints; alcoholic beverages, sugar, meat, consumer goods, and building materials are also produced.

Institutions include five professional institutes, two art museums, two theaters, and a regional museum. Architectural monuments include a 17th-century guildhall (hall where a guild assembles), and churches from the 18th and 19th centuries.

Founded by immigrant Cossacks from Bila Tserkva in 1652, Sumy served as the center of a Cossack regiment from 1658 to 1765. It was the seat of administration of all the Cossack regiments of Slobids'ka Ukrayina, a zone of Ukrainian Cossack military fortifications against the Tatars on the southern Russian frontier from 1732 to 1743. Beginning in 1765, Sumy served as either provincial or county center until the establishment of Sumy Oblast in 1939, when it again became provincial capital.

Sumy has a small airport.  If you took a taxi to Sumy from Kiev the trip would be about 5 1/2 hours and cost $100-125.  Better to take a bus or train. Sumy now has a McDonalds.

During the German occupation of Ukraine during World War II (1941 – 1943), Sumy sustained heavy damage. The war over, destroyed parts of the city were rebuilt anew. Sumy has been a twin town of Celle, Germany since January 17, 1990.

Offline mendeleyev

Offline LoyalMan

• ChiNazi scientists have invented Wuhan Virus Test Agent with accuracy rate close to 0%
  • Spouses Country: Neptune
My Fiancee's home town is Sumy!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 03:17:45 AM »
My Fiancee's home town is Sumy!!!

We will have our Wedding Ceremony there!!!   :party0011: :party0031: :loving: :knit:

Offline WestCoast

Re: My Fiancee's home town is Sumy!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 03:30:44 AM »
Congrats LoyalMan.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Stubben

• Meмber
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 03:53:24 AM »
Congrats!  :party0011:

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:56:26 AM »
Are you going to invite the other women you have continued to write to and planed to try to visit  after your engagement "Mr. Letterman,"? Will you be introducing your blushing bride to her 'B-roll replacements'?

Offline LoyalMan

• ChiNazi scientists have invented Wuhan Virus Test Agent with accuracy rate close to 0%
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »
Are you going to invite the other women you have continued to write to and planed to try to visit  after your engagement "Mr. Letterman,"? Will you be introducing your blushing bride to her 'B-roll replacements'?

But the 2nd girl has been blocked lately by the dating site we are on!!!  I guess she is really cheating money!  :chuckle:

Offline LoyalMan

Re: Sumy (Ukrainian: Суми, Russian: Сумы)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 10:03:34 AM »
WestCoast, Stubben, thank you!  Wish you too!   :party0031:

Offline LoyalMan

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 10:07:57 AM »
My new 2nd Home is so beautiful!!!   :party0031:

and Yushchenko will be my neighbour!!!   :-*

Offline LoyalMan

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 10:16:02 AM »
The 2nd photo above:
In the centre, it is the orthodox church!  We will be there in March!!!!   :chuckle: :loving:

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 06:57:41 PM »
Thank you, Yes I have studied the page. Interesting.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Raspberry

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 10:46:58 AM »
Sumy has some interesting quirks. There are not that many jobs in this city, all things considered. So there is a certain number of people that have work in other cities---mostly Kiev and Kharkov----and have these "commuter pad" apartments in those cities.....three or four workers sharing an apartment just to sleep and wash up.

You will also see a monument for Chernobyl in Sumy. Keep in mind that many of the workers at the nuclear plant had actually commuted from Sumy to work, who became sick or died.

Sumy also has the highest percentage of people of music degrees of any city in the world. Very much a musically talented and educated city. Of course, most don't do it for a living.

For those of you who have been to Ukraine before, there is always the central marketplace. The one difference is that in Sumy, the stands tend to close much earlier than in other cities---as in 3:30 or 4pm.

Victory Park is a nice place for kids to go. Toledo is interesting. Has a neon "Moulin Rouge" windmill on the outside. This restaurant also has two lanes of bowling, but you must sign in early if you wish to bowl.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 12:56:06 PM »
The Victory Park for children was built I believe as a token of friendship by a city in Czech Republic. Some of the figures are in fact from Czech folklore. It is now a bit decrepit. It is the only regional city where I have seen active busking on the streets. Especially across the church on the main pedestrian street.

The central market also opens late. In full swing around 9 am.

It is like the rest of Ukraine a city with people trying to do the best, with limited means. They have become suspicious of the self serving politicians.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 12:40:11 AM »
The very first foto in Mendy's report is an aerial view of the market. As I remember it does not start until something like 9 am.

Here are a few other foto's I made two years ago. A church, the white building with yellow bus is in fact I understand part of the University. The Modern building is a rather clumsy attempt at modern architecture. It was some sort of exhibition hall but was not being used.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 07:42:24 PM »
Very nice, AvHdB.  tiphat

Offline bgreed

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 07:46:38 PM »
That last photo is in the central square of Sumy wher all the government buildings are.  The Central market is a busy place not only with vegatable, fruits, meat, milk cheese etc. outside you can by everything from laundry detergent to a new suit.

RAGS is just accross from the church in one of the earlier photos where Lena and I got married. Only had to bribe the director with 200 grivna  :chuckle:

There are a couple of pretty good restuarants in Sumy.

Also here are acouple of diferent views of the churches.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 11:14:11 PM »
Nice photos, Bgreed.  tiphat

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 08:44:23 PM »
Fonconi's is a nice restaurant there.  Italian cuisine with a very nice atmosphere.  Little to no English spoken there.  Also a place called New York Style Pizza is good for lunch or casual supper..close to Fonconi's.  If you like to dance, Dialog is the place to go.  They put on little skits between sets that is entertaining.  Go early around 20.00 to reserve a table (300 UAH)  If you go around Christmas, be sure to go see the fire training station...it is well lit and beautiful at night.
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Online AvHdB

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 09:06:54 PM »
Fonconi's is a nice restaurant there.  Italian cuisine with a very nice atmosphere.  Little to no English spoken there.  Also a place called New York Style Pizza is good for lunch or casual supper..close to Fonconi's.  If you like to dance, Dialog is the place to go.  They put on little skits between sets that is entertaining.  Go early around 20.00 to reserve a table (300 UAH)  If you go around Christmas, be sure to go see the fire training station...it is well lit and beautiful at night.

Fonconi's is good but the service is quite hit and miss. There is on the street over from the main pedestrian walkway a small coffee place, best cappuccino in town. Also the servers tend to be cute. There are I understand only three places for sushi but they all outside the center.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 11:40:46 PM »

Fonconi's is good but the service is quite hit and miss. There is on the street over from the main pedestrian walkway a small coffee place, best cappuccino in town. Also the servers tend to be cute. There are I understand only three places for sushi but they all outside the center.

I got lucky the 2 nights I was at Fonconis..service was not bad.  I think I know the coffee shop you are talking about..it was good yes.  I only knew of 2 sushi places when I was there...they are both on the main street (Kharkovs'ka Street) and right across the street from each other.  They are about 1.5 to 2 km from McDonalds in the center.
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon