The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Zaporizhzhya - Zaporozhye -Запоріжжя - Запорожье  (Read 9206 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Zaporizhzhya (Запоріжжя)

Zaporizhia is a city in south-central Ukraine, which rests on the banks of the Dnieper River. It is the administrative center of the Zaporizhia Oblast (province), as well as the administrative center of the surrounding Zaporizkyi Raion (district) within the oblast.

Zaporizhia was formerly referred to as Aleksandrovsk (Russian: Александровск), after the commander of the first Russian Army, Prince Alexander Golitsyn, but was renamed in 1921 to Zaporizhia (literally, "behind the cataracts."

An important rail junction and transshipment port for goods produced in the Donets Basin, Zaporizhzhya is a major industrial city. Products include aluminum, processed magnesium, iron and steel, motor vehicles, chemicals, and agricultural machinery. The city is the site of the large Dniprohes (Dneproges) hydroelectric station, originally completed in 1932 and rebuilt in 1947 after its destruction in World War II. It is also the seat of a state medical institute and a mechanical engineering institute. The city, founded in 1770 as a fortress, was known as Aleksandrovsk until 1921. Nearby, in the Dnieper River, is Khortitsa Island, the site of an autonomous Zaporizhzhya Cossack stronghold from the 16th to the 18th century.

Zaporizhia (Запоріжжя, translit. Zaporozhye, Запорожье, translit. Zaporozh'ye, Zaporoże) is a city in south-central Ukraine, which rests on the banks of the Dnieper River. It is the administrative center of the Zaporizhia Oblast (province), as well as the administrative center of the surrounding Zaporizkyi Raion (district) within the oblast. The city itself is directly subordinate to the oblast, and is located approximately 70 km from the city of Dnipropetrovsk.

Zaporizhia also has a big electricity generating complex fueled by industrial demand. The biggest nuclear power plant in Europe, the Zaporozhye Nuclear Power Plant, as well as the Dnieper Hydroelectric Station are located near the city, in addition to fossil fuel power plants.

Public transport is provided by buses, minibuses, tramway, river transport, and railway. The city has two railway stations, Zaporizhia #1 and #2. Zaporizhia #1 is the central station and located in the southern part of the city. It is easily accessible by taxi and minibus. Located along the Simferopol-Moscow transit route, there is convenient ground transportation to the north and south of Zaporizhia.

The city's sole airport operates both domestic and international flights. The neighbouring city of Dnipropetrovsk also has an airport with more frequent international flight service. The population is around 768,000.

Offline Donhollio

Re: Zaporizhzhya - Zaporizhia -Запоріжжя - Запорожье
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:16:13 PM »
 Zapcity, spent a few weeks in that place. Very heavy industry...very.  But as with Dnepropetrovsk it has a very nice main boulevard.  You can see the pollution ( wind direction pending) while walking and looking at the street lights,it's that bad I'm sorry to say.

Walk further down the Lenin Prospect towards the power dam,and you may get a feeling of grit on your teeth !  I was on a date and she stopped under the main powerlines leaving the plant that crossed over the prospect,so I could feel the electro energy ! :o 
Hey what can I say,I have been on some crazy dates  :chuckle:

The lines are very low to the road,and while I didn't get the vibes from it, I think it may have been because I don't have any fillings,that's all I could think of. But the mums will cover the baby carriages so the infant doesn't get dirty, while shes out having a stroll.
 It's quite the town, ohh and at 1-3 am they release some gas into the air and they do so as most people are off the streets. Then there's the acid rain, if you go there DON'T ever leave anything out on the balcony. I left my hotel towel to dry while staying at the Intourist ( Very good hotel BTW )  it rained so I left it out there to dry. Once it was dry, it looked like the green towel had been hit with bleach! So beware!
 But the girls look very nice,and it was worth the years off my life  ;D

Zaporozyhe, Not Good for Health ! :chuckle:

Photo's taken from the Intourist Hotel looking down the prospect ( Longest in the FSU at 14km's) towards the dam and powerlines.

Just a sample of the industry smoke stacks. I counted just under 100 from this view alone !

Offline mendeleyev

Offline Raspberry

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 06:06:32 PM »
A couple of places to visit while in Zap......

"Mustang" restaurant........has a WWII motif(the "mustang" is the P-51 from the USA). Good, tasty, but rich, food.......mainly cutlets/steaks with cream or cheese sauces.

Khortytsa Island, in the middle of the river, is a nice getaway......

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 12:33:21 PM »

"Mustang" restaurant........has a WWII motif(the "mustang" is the P-51 from the USA). Good, tasty, but rich, food.......mainly cutlets/steaks with cream or cheese sauces.

I really regret not finding this place when I was in Zaporizhzhya...
 :(

Offline Raspberry

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 10:52:25 AM »
The "Mustang" is about three blocks away from the "Intourist" hotel.

One thing I forgot to mention, is this one museum. It is of weapons and farm equipment. This is in the corner of the sporting goods store there....you have to go into the back of the store, and there is this "secret" door you enter....then you pay the admission fee and go upstairs......

Offline Raspberry

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »
The main street(whose name escapes me)is super long. If you are taking a cab from another city, they will sometimes charge you extra if you are not getting off right at the city limits.

Zaporozhya seems to have the least amount of churches per population, compared to other cities.....I really didn't see too many.

The "Ukraine" hotel has pretty much the same type of decor as it did in the 1930s.

There is a "hidden" strip club upstairs in the "Intourist" hotel.

There is a shopping complex called "City"......their sign looks similar to the now-defunct Circuit City stores we used to have in the USA.

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 03:56:56 PM »
The "Mustang" is about three blocks away from the "Intourist" hotel.

One thing I forgot to mention, is this one museum. It is of weapons and farm equipment. This is in the corner of the sporting goods store there....you have to go into the back of the store, and there is this "secret" door you enter....then you pay the admission fee and go upstairs......

What is so special about this museum?

Offline Raspberry

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 08:21:32 PM »
They have old, ancient/mideval stuff there. Wasn't my idea---the local girl pointed it out. Good for what it is, but it would be 90 minutes tops to check everything out. But the concept of having a museum in the back of a sporting goods store is unique anywhere....

Offline Vika

• Commercial Member
    • www.FunRussian.com
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 04:24:39 PM »
Zaporozhye is my hometown. I love it. Here are a few pictures of Zaporozhye.
River Dnepr:

Free Russian lessons online.
www.FunRussian.com

Offline Vika

• Commercial Member
    • www.FunRussian.com
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 04:28:13 PM »
Pictures of the city:
www.FunRussian.com

Offline Vika

• Commercial Member
    • www.FunRussian.com
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 04:38:21 PM »
And Zaporozhye at night (sorry, the quality is not perfect, but you can get an idea :) )

And, yes, "Mustang" is a very good restaurant. Also you will find a few good restaurants "na Naberezhnoy" and another restaurant I loved is by the Lenin Port, it's called - "Billy Bones" - http://billybonce.com.ua/.

www.FunRussian.com

Offline Brasscasing

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 04:58:28 PM »
Great pics Vika. Thankyou!

Brass
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."  ~ John Diefenbaker

P.S....Unless you happen to live in Quebec and are subject to the Quebec Charter Of Values, of course.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 02:41:47 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Vika, Zaporizhzhya is one City in Ukraine I have not visited.
Слава Україні

Offline Vika

• Commercial Member
    • www.FunRussian.com
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 10:06:10 AM »
It's a pleasure. Zaporozhye is a beautiful city.
www.FunRussian.com

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 11:33:29 PM »
Thank you, Vika!

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • "Helping People Understand Each Other"
    • OdessaGuide.Net
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Zaporizhzhya - Zaporozhye -Запоріжжя - Запорожье
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 04:38:23 AM »
Let me point out that Zaporozhia or whatever is not the best spelling as it is far from the right pronunciation. I usually spell it as Zaporojye because ZH inside does not stand for Z + H but for something like J or G. Or, better, S in Asia.
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net

Offline Martok

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »
My wife is from Zaporozhye. Visited several times and lived here for 6 months on my first trip to Ukraine to find my wife... It was a wild decision, but i do not regret :)

Offline civi68

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 10:42:08 AM »
A good time to go is in October during the Cossack festival.
Mike

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 07:37:26 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Vika, Zaporizhzhya is one City in Ukraine I have not visited.

When I went to Dnepro, I was planning to head south for a visit.  But, the bus ride to Dnepro convinced me the center part of Ukraine has more dirt roads than I expected.  So, I am saving for a future trip.

Offline WOVO

• Watched
  • Trips: 1-5
Zaporozhye, Ukraine
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »
Has anyone been to Zaporozhye?   If so, how did you get there by?

Train from Kiev?
Bus from Kiev?
Fly to Dnepropetrovsk and then bus/train?
Fly to Zaporozhye from IEV Kiev?

What's to avoid? etc

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Zaporozhye, Ukraine
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 04:53:22 PM »
Yea, loads of times unfortunately.

I used to see a girl from there and spent many a time trying to enjoy that part of the world. Safe to say, if it wasn't for the girl, I wouldn't have been back.

First time I flew to Berlin and got a connecting flight onto Dnepropetrovsk. After that, I flew to Kiev and then onto Dnepro although I did once fly into Zap. I recall internal flights being around $100 each way and you could buy them like bus tickets. The flights were never full.

The airport at Zap is tiny and only usually caters for cargo. I lost my bags once and had to debate with the friendly staff how much it was going to cost me to get them back....a real hoot!!

Each time I arrived, I was met by my girl via taxi. It wasn't the cheapest and Dnipro is a good 45mins to 1 hour away. The airport at Zap is a little out the city and not very busy. I wouldn't want to arrive without a pre booked taxi or a friendly face waiting.

Both airports are small and not much to say about them except don't get grounded by the fog. Boring as hell and expensive to fix.

So why you heading to Zap, anything exciting?

Here was me about 4/5 years ago with my then girl, Paris F*cking Hilton. A great photo opportunity outside the hub that is Dnepropetrovsk airport.

Offline Larry

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
Here was me about 4/5 years ago with my then girl, Paris F*cking Hilton. A great photo opportunity outside the hub that is Dnepropetrovsk airport.

She does kinda resemble Paris Hilton.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 05:54:41 PM »
Finally after years my curiosity of Paris f'n Hilton is realised! I'd give her about 60o on the Hollio bone meter!   :P

WOVO, yes I too have been to Zaporozhye! I first went there on a train from Frankfurt I believe, or maybe Munich. Second time I took a train from there to Odessa, and back again to Zaporozhye. It's a long haul either way, but if you're lucky some guy will have you doing vodka shots just before heading off to bed.

I have also taken the bus from Dnepropetrovsk to Kiev, don't recommend that mode of transport as the highway buses are void of a WC, and the roads are not in the smoothest of condition.
 If you lack adventure I would try to fly into Zaporozhye, or go next door into Dnepropetrovsk, from there take a taxi. Try to get something prearranged if possible. Or you can deal with the rabid taxi drivers that will pounce on you the moment you clear the airport doors.

You asked what's to avoid. well I would avoid breathing the air. Rosco I'm sure can attest to the horrible air quality. I was there in August and again in October of 2005. How can I best describe the air, well, from my experience it varies slightly from mildly bad to downright hazardous!  At 1am they release some gas from one of the many foundries that fills the air, and they do this at 1am because not many people are outside at that hour.
 One day I had a wet towel, green in color. I spread it out on the balcony of my hotel room, and later that day it rained, so I left it out overnight to hopefully be dry by morning. Well it did dry overnight, however it was stained with what I can only say looked like large bleach spots.

How bad is the air? Well I went on a date with a full figured woman. In my defense I will only advise one to READ the girls full bio, not just get lusty over the face. She spoke most excellent English, and did have a beautiful face, and she did tell me over the phone she had a 'woman's body', so really I have no one to blame. Anyway that's one I forgot to toss in my TR. Speaking of which, I have some photos of the city in there. During the date she took me for a walk by the hydro dam where the power wires hang very low to the street. While out under the wires she asked if I can feel the tingling in my teeth! What!?   :o  "Yes can you feel the energy?"  I never did, and afterwards I could only surmise that its is because I have no fillings.

But again the air was bad, and I did at times have grit on my teeth. You can also see the pollution while walking down the street if you gaze up at the street lights. Yes it was that bad.
 I will say I still enjoyed my weeks in that city, it has the longest Lenin Pt. in all the FSU (14km), and I have walked every metre of it. All but one the girls I met were wonderful, even the guys I met were good fellows.

Go and enjoy yourself.  tiphat

Registration