The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Favorite Russian Movies  (Read 175350 times)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Moscow does not believe in Tears - Film
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 10:02:10 AM »
WHAT?!!  :o

There is life outside of the US?  I can't believe it.  I was wondering why everyone was talking strangely here in Ukraine.  Now that I know this isn't a part of the US it now all makes sense.   ;D

Thomas

LOL How did you escape Thomas  :happy0023:

Слава Україні

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 10:15:21 AM »
Visiting Russia is like.....awhole other planet, dude...I mean they have beautiful creatures, but they sure do talk strange, man.. :smokin: :reading: 8) :party0031:

Offline Rasputin

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 10:39:18 AM »
The film indeed is considered being a classic. Tells a story of village girl, coming to Moscow and having a baby from some stud.

Perhaps the film could be updated. Young village girl goes to Moscow, has a baby with a stud that moves on. Young girl then goes to a marriage agency to find a foreign husband  :chuckle:
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

tbelknap

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 06:49:49 PM »
LOL How did you escape Thomas  :happy0023:

Mate, I feel like I am trying to escape.  Ukraine just won't let us go.  :chuckle:

Thomas

Offline Olga

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 09:27:29 PM »
Some shots from movie.

Offline froid

Russian versions of movies and how they translate...
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 10:37:42 AM »
We watched a few movies Sunday night.  Mila wanted me to watch Hot Chick and Madagascar because she had seen them and I hadn't.  She thought it was funny that she was showing ME American films. 

During the evening I got to wondering, since every Russian movie I have seen is dubbed into Russian, how could they actually translate some of the cultural references that were western. 

For instance...in Madagascar when the lemurs find out the new big animals are from New York...the king introduces them as "The New York Giants".  For anyone from North America would be funny as the name of a football team as well.  I asked Mila how they translated that into Russian...and they called them "The New York Band".  She said it was some movie about a band from New York or something.

I wonder what else gets lost in translation along the way. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline mendeleyev

Re: Russian versions of movies and how they translate...
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008, 11:59:49 AM »
Good topic Froid.  Over the weekend I was working on a radio program for the Kiev Symphony Orchestra and Chorus who completed a fall tour of the USA recently.  One of the ladies (a cello player) commented on how different she found the West from her impression in movies.  And she was from Lvov which is more 'western' than most regions.

Most movies I watch in Russia are as you say overdubbed.  As many are pirated copies, I find humour not so much in the story line but in the typical 3-4 Russian voices trying to cover all the cast and parts of a Hollyweird movie.

There's nothing like a fast paced scene with multiple actors and suddenly Tom Cruise has a female voice!  :laugh:

It seems to me that you are absolutely correct in that much of what we understand, or vice versa, gets lost along the way.

Offline froid

Re: Russian versions of movies and how they translate...
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2008, 12:10:12 PM »
My favourite channel to watch while in Penza was the NHL channel.  Watching hockey games they could not keep up with the announcers and I could hear most of the english. 

The funniest thing I heard was watching the Simpsons...I was just amused by the strange Russian voices overdubbed and watched a little.  I fell on the floor laughing when I heard Homer say "doh" in the background and then the Russian Homer repeat "DOH!" right after.  Haha. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline Stubben

• Meмber
Re: Favorite Russian Movies
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 08:32:05 AM »
I was just about to start a new thread on russian movies, but whaddya know... there already was one!  :nod:

I think the only Russian movie I have seen is Solaris, which I liked. I'll see if I can get hold of more movies from Tarkovsky or some of the other movies mentioned in this thread already, but I'm all ears if anyone has more recommendations.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2009, 08:44:18 AM »
Stubben, welcome to RUA! We watch a lot of Russian movies on YouTube with their feature where the segments are programmed to automatically play in sequence.

Lots of titles are available, for example just type in "Russian movies with English subtitles" and see how many populate.

Offline Stubben

• Meмber
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 08:46:20 AM »
Thanks for the tip! I'm off to YouTube...  :travel:

Offline Stubben

• Meмber
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2009, 12:20:07 PM »
Watched "Planet of Storms" yesterday, old sci-fi movie. I liked it! A little bit cheesy like most old Sci-fi, but enjoyable.

Will try "Burnt by the sun" or "Moscow does not believe in tears" next if I can find them on YouTube.

Offline Stubben

• Meмber
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2009, 12:15:54 PM »
Thanks! I'll make sure to grab some of these!   tiphat

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2009, 01:48:24 PM »
Stubben,

There is one "top of mind" movie which will go far to help you understand some things regarding Russian culture and worldview, especially as it relates to traditions around the New Year.

It is "The Irony of Fate" and is a movie which Russians and Ukrainians watch every new years eve. Its a national tradition. The first 2:47 is taken up in what appears to be a short cartoon. That is supplying background so that the view understands that during that period massive housing apartment housing were the same from city to city and a complex in St Petersburg could look the same as a complex in Moscow, down to even similar street names and building facades.

http://russianreport.wordpress.com/russian-movies-%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%BE%D1%84%D0%B8%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BC%D1%8B/the-irony-of-fate/

A few years back a sequel was released (it's okay but not great like the first) so make sure that you are watching the original first.

Offline Stubben

• Meмber
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2009, 02:19:16 PM »
Thanks!

I watched the first part but upon starting the next I got pretty confused, not sure if they are in the corrected order? The labeling isn't clear, is it 11 episodes - each split into two parts? I looked for a "Part 2 of 2 (1/11)" but couldn't find it.  ???

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »
Understandable. The original YouTube poster broke the movie into 2 halves, labeling the two halves as Part 1 and Part 2.

Offline Stubben

• Meмber
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2009, 03:07:13 PM »
Thanks a million, that makes a lot more sense! I feel dumb though, I should have figured that out on my own...  :-[

Offline Stubben

• Meмber
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2009, 03:15:08 PM »
Hey, "Irony of Fate" looks like a source for some Russian songs too! Nice!  :party0031: