The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Moscow - Airport To Train Station  (Read 23237 times)

Offline Catman

Re: Finding Your Way to and from - Sheremetyevo 1 & 2 (SVO 1 & SVO 2)
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2009, 07:01:20 PM »
I flew with Aeroflot and they had a mini bus to drive passengers from Sher2 to Sher1. On the way back I asked about a transfer at the Aeroflot desk and the lady told me to go outside, turn right and look for the big bus with Aeroflot written in the front window. I did and jumped on. No problem. No one asked me for anything and it looked like anyone could have jumped on. Thanks to this forum I had a good idea of what to do when I arrived in Moscow airport.

Offline Shane

• Opted Out
Moscow - Airport To Train Station
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 04:37:14 PM »
I know this may have been previously addressed but, my wife is wanting to fly in to Moscow the next time she goes home for a visit and our question was the proximity of the train station to the airports.  Is there one airport that is better to fly into than the other, in terms of having easier access to the train?  She is wanting to stop-over in Smolensk to visit family on her way home to Minsk.  Has anyone else had any experience with a similar journey? 

It also looks like the price of flights to Moscow from either BWI or Dulles is about HALF of what it costs to fly to Minsk this Summer!  Wow!  ;D 

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Moscow - Airport To Train Station
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 11:28:13 PM »
b, I've combined your question within this post which I think has a lot of digestible information for your use.

Online Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Spouses Country: Russia (Born in Uzbekistan)
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2009, 01:23:52 AM »
I know this may have been previously addressed but, my wife is wanting to fly in to Moscow the next time she goes home for a visit and our question was the proximity of the train station to the airports.  Is there one airport that is better to fly into than the other, in terms of having easier access to the train?  She is wanting to stop-over in Smolensk to visit family on her way home to Minsk.  Has anyone else had any experience with a similar journey? 

It also looks like the price of flights to Moscow from either BWI or Dulles is about HALF of what it costs to fly to Minsk this Summer!  Wow!  ;D 
AirBaltic flies from Riga (Latvia) to Minsk for a somewhat reasonable price, might be worth doing as well.

Another option would be to fly into Vilnius (Lithuania) and then take the bus for some hours (I believe 4 or 5 to Minsk) :)

Offline Shane

• Opted Out
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2009, 05:38:26 AM »

AirBaltic flies from Riga (Latvia) to Minsk for a somewhat reasonable price, might be worth doing as well.

Another option would be to fly into Vilnius (Lithuania) and then take the bus for some hours (I believe 4 or 5 to Minsk) :)

My wife usually flies into either Frankfurt (Lufthansa) or Vienna (Austrian) and then, on to Minsk.  This time, though, she wants to stop-by Smolensk first to visit family and it seems that Moscow would be the best destination since it is roughly half-way between Minsk and Moscow?  My wife has made the train trip dozens of times before and, according to her, it is an overnighter.  I was just curious to know if there was one Moscow airport that was better than the other for access to the train station?  Based on the private responses I received, it appears that it doesn't really matter- there are shuttles/taxis that run to/from the station all day.

Thanks to all for their input!

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2009, 06:45:02 AM »
b, Much of your question is going to be answered by which country you live. Some airlines only fly into certain Moscow airports and so airport access becomes a factor too. Hope she enjoys the trip!

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2009, 03:38:06 PM »

Now BOTH DME and SVO are connected to the Moscow Metro by direct train service.  No matter what airport she arrives at she'll be able to easily connect with the Moscow Metro and then to the train station that services intercity train transport to Smolensk and Gormel. 

I'm not sure where the train from SVO connects since that service is less than 6 months old, but I know the train from DME connects at the Paveletskaya Station.  From there on the Brown Line to the Belorusskaya Station which I think is the one that services train travel to Gormel and points east. 

HTH 
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2009, 09:15:56 PM »
We've very recently updated the 3 major Moscow airport connections dramatically at this resource, including photos.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2009, 09:55:12 PM »
there is a train connection between Domodedovo and metro stations, some of them at close proximity to major train station. She can check it out on Domodedovo web-site.

Offline Davydushka

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 07:25:22 PM »
B.Child, go to Domodedovo if you can. SVO is a bloody nightmare. On the two occasions I have been through Domodedovo I would rate them as the best international airport I have gone through for speed and efficiency. In and out in 25 minutes on a flight from London to Moscow. Plenty of passport control. Took all of 5 minutes using the electronic check in to check luggage and get to the departure lounge going back. As far as SVO goes, it’s the exact opposite. Queue for 3 hours to go through the 3 or 4 passport control windows, checking in involves hour plus waiting and things are constantly breaking down as well. It took 4 hours on one occasion from when I landed to when I got outside of the airport. Last time flying out of there they overbooked my flight so spent 7 hours waiting to get on a flight from Moscow to Seoul then Hong Kong instead of Moscow to Hong Kong.

Train is excellent at Domodedovo. Takes around 40 mins to get to Paveletskaya and that station links to everything. Its express as well from what I remember in that it goes from Pavel to the Airport non stop along with being nice, clean and modern. Don’t know about SVO and the train they now have. Others can tell you more on that.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2009, 04:01:33 PM »

Long distance trains to Smolensk leave from Belorussky train station, which is connected with SVO airport by AeroExress.

http://www.aeroexpress.ru/schedule/belorussky_sheremetyevo/
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2010, 11:54:26 AM »
Bump.. :popcorn:

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 10:05:50 AM »
Yahoo!!!!  :party0011:  :plane:  :party0011:

http://www.tourinformer.ru/newsarticle.php?newsid=10192

SVO - terminal E to open on May 15

http://spblp.ru/post/40/

SVO terminal D will be connected with the Aeroexpress station by travolators.

http://www.aerostrada.ru/index.php?id=vip-zal-sheremetyevo-terminal-e

WHICH MEANS... no more shuttle buses needed!  :party0011:   :plane:  :party0011:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.