The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Moscow - Airport To Train Station  (Read 57841 times)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Moscow - Airport To Train Station
« on: May 24, 2007, 12:35:24 PM »
Sheremetyevo 1 & 2 (SVO 1 & SVO 2)

Lots of people ontheir first trip to Moscow get worried when they have to make a connection between the two airports, there is n o need for this, it is really quite easy. This is one of the ways to get from SVO 1 to SVO 2 and visa versa as of March 2007.

If you land at Sheremetyevo 2 on an International flight and have to transfer to an internal Russian flight from Sheremetyevo 1 this is how you do it:-

Assuming you have come through customs OK which BTW took me ONLY 20 minutes? Don’t ask me why, but it was very quick, I had everything filled out ready on the plane before landing. (eg White Immigration card)

Collect your baggage then you then go out through the exit doors (same level) fighting the bloodsucking cabbies all the way until eventually you get them to acknowledge you know where you are going and don’t need their help  and you need to find one of the following buses, Numbers 817, 851 or 851C The cost of the bus is/was 40 Rubles and any of the above busses takes 20 minutes to get from SVO2 to SVO 1, if you take a suicidal Taxi Bus the cost is more but only takes 10 minutes. Cabs cost a lot more  ??? but you really don't need one!

(NOTE! They have a transit desk in the arrivals hall, it is for Aeroflot customers only and they provide a FREE transit bus, but you have to ask, they are not too hot in telling you about it ;) Also if you look on the  AeroFlot and SVO website they have a map to show where to pick up the free bus. )

When you get to SVO 1, you go into the left hand building which is Departures the right hand side building is Arrivals which is where you will come back through. Make a note of where the bus drops you off right outside the Terminal as this is also where you will pick it up on your way back from SVO 1 to SVO2

==
OK when arriving back at SVO 1, you go straight out of the Terminal exit doors again fighting of the bloodsuckers and turn right, about 50 yards down is the waiting busses, if there is no bus waiting, just stand at the bus shelter and one will arrive. Again make sure you get on Numbers 817, 851 or 851 C only, they will also say on a sign of the side of them Sheremetyevo 1 & 2 Just get used to reading the name in Cyrillic and you will be OK. OR learn to say Sheremetyevo Dva (Sheremetyevo 2) and you will be OK. When you arive at SVO 2 you will arrive on the upper level, that is where all International flights leave from.

A lot easier than people make out really. I have done it both ways on my own and didn’t have any problems. BTW Sheremetyevo 1 & Sheremetyevo 2 airports are actually attached to each other, they are just a couple miles apart across the runways, if you don’t believe me see my picture below (not very good quality I'm afraid), it was taken when I landed at Sheremetyevo 1 and the terminal of Sheremetyevo 2 is the building in the distance.

Chris

BTW….If you want to get a Metro into Moscow Centre, you can do so by using the buses and taxi buses to get to a local Metro station, which if I recall correctly is called Rechnoy Vokzal and it is about a 25 minute ride from SVO. It is about a 30 minute train ride to the City Centre from there. On my way into Moscow to save time I hired a Taxi, it took about an hour to the City Centre and cost 1000 Rubles, less if you know how to barter!

LEFT BAGGAGE

If you want to dump your baggage for a few hours at SVO 2 while you wait for your connecting flight, go down the escalators to the lower level in front of you and to the right is a LEFT BAGGAGE area, put it through the scanner and take it and place it on one of the shelves, the attendant will give you a tag which you keep to reclaim it later. Cost as at March 2007 is 100 Rubles for a day
Слава Україні

Offline vox11

Re: Finding Your Way to and fro - Sheremetyevo 1 & 2 (SVO 1 & SVO 2)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 02:48:44 PM »

Collect your baggage then you then go out through the exit doors (same level) fighting the bloodsucking cabbies all the way until eventually you get them to acknowledge you know where you are going and don’t need their help  and you need to find one of the following buses, Numbers 817, 851 or 851C

Note - use 817 to transfer from SVO2 to SVO1 , and 851(c) from SVO1 to SVO2.
Wrong number will bring you to Moscow metro station planernaya/ rechnoy vokzal. Also, minibuses are not guaranteed to visit both terminals, ask driver first.

Offline chivo

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 06:38:24 AM »
Just a FYI, number 48 takes you to Rechnoi Vokzal. ciao

chivo

Offline Chris

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 08:20:25 AM »
Thanks guys for your input, all this helps people who are travelling between airports and Moscow centre from getting hopelessly lost ;)
Слава Україні

Offline SLHF1000

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 11:23:44 PM »
On my way out of Russia from SVO 1 to SVO2 a year ago, I was supposed to get a pre-arranged transfer... but no show, due to traffic I found out later.

After being hounded by "taxi" drivers, and repeatedly saying "nyet," I asked a pretty lady behind the thick glass for "avtobus - Shermetyevo dva" in my terrible Russian... she smiled and pointed the way... out the door, to the right.

Cramped,  crowded, my suitcase on my lap, but about 28 kopeks if I recall correctly. 

I'd come in via Domodedovo, which I highly recommend if you can do it.

Offline SLHF1000

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 07:16:30 PM »
Whoops... meant 28 rubles.

Offline pwmcon

• We have a new baby Alex
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 09:56:50 AM »
If u need to go from SVO2 to Vuknova Airport, heres a cheap way to do it. Take the bus to the metro. Take the metro 6 stops to circle line, transfer to the circle line and them go 2 stops to the Kievsky stop. Then leave the station and look for the new Aeroexpress train. It cost $4. one way 45 minutes non stop direct to the VNK airlport it nice train with lots of room and hardly anyone on it. It leaves about every hour. At the end stop u take a nice escalator to exit and walk about 50 yards to the airport, total cost about $5 and took me about 2 1/2 hrs total. If have a lot of luggage u will ahve to climb 10-20 steps 3-4 times over all.

Offline jlogajan

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 06:46:16 PM »
In regards to the free bus between SVO1 and SVO2 for Aeroflot customers, does this mean that flights at both airports need to be Aeroflot?  My previous trip I flew in and out of Russia on Aeroflot and internally on Aeroflot. I was too late at night to catch the bus and had an early flight out the next morning and couldn't wait for a bus -- so caught a taxi.  But on the flight out of Russia, I got in in the afternoon and was able to catch the free bus.

However my next trip in July is coming in and out on Delta but catching an internal Aeroflot flight.  Does that make me eligible for the free bus?

sharpbws

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 07:29:40 PM »
However my next trip in July is coming in and out on Delta but catching an internal Aeroflot flight.  Does that make me eligible for the free bus?

Absolutely, yes.  Double now since Aeroflot is now a member of Delta's SkyTeam.

:-)
Brad

sharpbws

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 05:24:22 AM »
Since I did just this on Wednesday, I can provide some updated information.  When you arrive you will enter the main terminal after clearing customs.  There will be a large glass/window wall facing east.  In front of that wall are a line of kiosks for different travel agents, car rents and the like.  There will also be a kiosk for Aeroflot.  Go there and show the woman your ticket for a domestic Aeroflot flight.  She will give you an orange transfer ticket. 

Go outside to the second set of traffic islands.  You will see a yellow sign that says SVO1 -SVO2.  Wait there and the bus will take you to SVO 1 for free. 

BTW, you're supposed to have one of the orange tickets, but nobody asked us for ours.

:-)
Brad 

Offline jlogajan

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 12:55:32 PM »
Is it possible (by that I mean legal) to walk between SVO1 and SVO2?  Is pedestrian traffic permitted?  It's just that I'll have up to 13 hours to kill and it must only be a few miles around the airport.  I just measured it on Google Earth and the road around them seems to be just under 4 miles.  That would only take about an hour or so to walk.

Offline Chris

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 03:18:04 PM »
Is it possible (by that I mean legal) to walk between SVO1 and SVO2?  Is pedestrian traffic permitted?  It's just that I'll have up to 13 hours to kill and it must only be a few miles around the airport.  I just measured it on Google Earth and the road around them seems to be just under 4 miles.  That would only take about an hour or so to walk.

In theory you could walk around, BUT if you were allowed you could walk across too, it is only about a mile from SVO1 to SVO2 across the tarmac. See my picture above. Now I doubt they would allow you to do that, but the walk around would not be straightforward, a lot of it is just roads, no pedestrian areas, and with a case etc not something I would recommend.
Слава Україні

Offline LEGAL

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 03:36:29 PM »
jlogajan  You called LEGAL well here I am just like an ambulance chaser ;D  I agree with Chrismc I think you could wind up in a difficult or bad situation. Now that that has been said their is a transport from one terminal to the other for a good price . DON'T take the taxi unless you get a good price in advance. I have heard of guys paying $50.00 to $100.00 for the very short trip. Taxi's  charge to much. I am sure you can find something to do, maybe someone else knows of something to do?
Just my two rubles worth :)

LEGAL

Offline Chris

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 03:54:37 PM »
A bus Numbers 817, 851 or 851C  costs only 40 Rubles, why even consider walking ?

Aeroflot customers only,  they provide a FREE transit bus!

Always check bus numbers etc on the day, sometimes they change things without prior notice. ;D it is Russia afterall :)
Слава Україні

Offline LEGAL

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 04:14:29 PM »
Chrismc thanks for answering I couldn't remember. I know their is only one place to get the bus. Someone told me but I forgot, I always have a private driver pick me up. I guess I am spoiled ;D  WOW you even remembered the bus number.

LEGAL

Offline leftshoe

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 05:06:24 PM »
just to get your bearings pictures help.
It's all about the journey

Offline ForgeMaster

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 05:24:09 PM »
Folks,
  I have gone to Barnaul twice, passing through the SVO challenge both times.  Some have told me to go on other airlines, but I would never go on anything but Aeroflot.  There are many reasons, but the SVO transfer is just one of them.  I had no problem whatsoever with the transfer.  I knew that they had a transit bus between airports and I set out to find it!!  Find the little office near the exit and they will tell you when the bus will arrive and where to sit/stand to wait.  It is that simple.  On Aeroflot, you pay for the transit.  Use it.

Coming back from SVO1 to SVO2, you walk out the front doors of the airport and turn left.  Go to the end of the building and the bus is either there or will be there soon.  It says "Transit" on it as I remember.  It is white and a bit smaller than a city bus. 

So not kill a taxi driver!!  I don't think you will be allowed to go on if you do this.  It is tempting, but not necessary.  These guys are just trying to earn a living in a rough situation.  Alpha drivers win!!

Some of the other reasons to stick with Aeroflot...  If you take Aeroflot into and out of Moscow and the planes are delayed or late, they will feed you and even give you a room to sleep in till the next day.  If you came in or go out on another airlines, tough cookies!!  In the US, they take care of the immigration issues of Russian citizens in a special area in NYC.  When your lady walks through that door, immigration is finished and you just fetch her luggage.  I will also say that the food on the trans-atlantic flight was wonderful!!!  I cannot vouch for any food inside the Russian border, though, but I was only on it for 4 hours and I will survive that long without a meal.
ForgeMaster
FirstMember

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 08:51:22 AM »
There is some very nice information posted here and very helpful.  Thanks.

Sometime in late 2007 the first leg of the new AeroExpress (high speed train) will be complete between the centre of Moscow to SVO 2.  There are a total of 7 legs planned which will link all of the airports to Moscow, including the new SVO 3 when it is completed.

Eventually it will connect the airports with the regular train stations too.

www.aeroexspress.ru/en/index.html

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 09:00:09 AM »
Some nice photos of the express station/train are here:

www.aeroexspress.ru/en/terminal.html

Offline froid

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 08:06:03 AM »
Ok...how about going from Sheremetyevo 2 to Domodedovo?  I have to manage that trek in May.  Anyone done that one before? 

Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline dwfunk

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 02:18:22 PM »
There is some very nice information posted here and very helpful.  Thanks.

Sometime in late 2007 the first leg of the new AeroExpress (high speed train) will be complete between the centre of Moscow to SVO 2.  There are a total of 7 legs planned which will link all of the airports to Moscow, including the new SVO 3 when it is completed.

Eventually it will connect the airports with the regular train stations too.

www.aeroexspress.ru/en/index.html

This is SO nice!!  Savelovskaya is only 6 stops from our Metro stop!!!  Sure beats getting a taxi . . . . especially in the snow . . .

-david

------
David & Natalia
Republic of Texas / Moscow, Russia
УЛ. КОНЕНКОВА
16th World Spacemodeling Championships

Offline dwfunk

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 02:23:54 PM »
Ok...how about going from Sheremetyevo 2 to Domodedovo?  I have to manage that trek in May.  Anyone done that one before? 

A friend of mine has done this "little journey" 4 times.  He paid $100 for a private service to transport him between airports.  The service he used is the Moscow affiliate of Elenas Models.

-david

------
David & Natalia
Republic of Texas / Moscow, Russia
УЛ. КОНЕНКОВА
16th World Spacemodeling Championships

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 02:49:10 PM »
Some additional info about Sheremetyevo-2:

1) Worker's canteen

If you don't have much money, but a lot of time to kill in SVO-2 - and you're used to Russian food - try the "secret" canteen on the 4th floor.

3 out of 4 elevators do not have a button with the digit 4; so exit on the 3rd of 5th floors, and use the stairs.

Free-flow, where you can actually get a small salad \ soup \ main course \ tea for about 200 roubles.

The airport personnel just gives the cashier some plastic cards that she slides through the little card-reader; but anybody can pay there with Russian roubles (no credit cards, though).

2) Consul on duty

Emergency cases like:

- your visa has expired 1-3 days ago (and you were wise enough to get a doctor's certificate proving your condition was preventing you from flying);

- your flight was overbooked (you have the airline statement about it), the next flight to your country is the next day, and your visa is only till TODAY;

- the child, inscribed in the passport of your Russian wife, has reached the age of 5 (or 6? not sure...) - but the child's photo is NOT in her passport;

- extremely rare cases of "visa upon arrival" for foreigners (means you're meeting somebody who has got the written confirmation for "visa upon arrival" before, and you're just bringing the original papers to the airport 1 hour before his \ her flight will land);

- some other cases I'm not aware of...

Go to the 2nd floor (departure level), right side.

Between the glass wall of VIP departure lounge and the newspaper kiosk there's a big button on the wall & a speaker & a microphone.

Press the button, explain your case, have all your papers & cash ready (usually USD), and in case of child in your spouse's passport have a 3 x 4 photo ready.

The consul's secretary will come to you in a few minutes and take your documents & money. Usually you'll get your papers & receipt back within 30 minutes.
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 03:52:32 AM »

I have done the bus between SVO & DME.  It is about 25 roubles for the trip which is perhaps 2 hours.   You catch it at SVO outside the baggage area, to the right.   There is a sign on the pillar with Domodedovo written in Russian and the times but the info booth inside can point you in the right direction.  At DME walk out the left front door to the corner of the building and the sign and bus are there.

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 04:19:33 AM »

I looked into this and in addition to the private services you can also pre-pay a cab co of which there are about 7 or so with links from the DME website in the thread on that airport. (all of the taxi-private transport quotes I got were between $100-200)

If you wanted to do it via bus and metro cheaply. You could also take a cab/local bus from SVO- to the 'mega' mall which is about 3/4 of a click away from SVO. Hop off at the metro station and connect to pavletskaya. From pavletskaya there is a train to DME as well and a shuttle.

http://www.domodedovo.ru/en/main/getting/
http://www.domodedovo.ru/en/main/getting/1/
http://www.domodedovo.ru/en/main/getting/taxi/
http://www.domodedovo.ru/en/main/getting/taxi/1/
http://www.domodedovo.ru/en/main/getting/1/aero/

Also for private services you could try the following as well: Russian American Consulting, Peace Travel, and Moscow Rick.

HTH,
ECR844

Registration