The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a book ? ? ?  (Read 1600 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Can anyone recommend a book ? ? ?
« on: November 03, 2008, 01:12:32 AM »
Can anyone recommend a book on an area or two (in English) of or about the
FSU that doesn't read like an ultra boring college text book?

I would especially like something written like James Michener's Poland or Alaska
or a book like those that Wilbur Smith wrote about Africa. I am sure that there
some out there that are entertaining and still manage to cover historical events,
 and times and, places. but sometimes take a liberty or two in conversations between
individuals who were there living there lives at the time?

I have a book by Magocsi and another by Subtney (spelled wrong I lent it to my Dad)
about Ukraine but they are mind numbingly boring to dig into.

Thank you,

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
Re: Can anyone recommend a book???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 01:21:12 AM »

Can anyone recommend a book on an area or two (in English) of or about the FSU that doesn't read like an ultra boring college text book?

Sure  :king:

Russian Bride Guide by Smith & Maslova  :innocent:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+
Re: Can anyone recommend a book ? ? ?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 01:53:40 AM »
I have these:

Kremlin Rising by Peter Baker and Susan Glasser - about Russia since Putin.
Russia by Philip Longworth - The once & future empire from pre-history to Putin.
Putin's Russia by Anna Politkovskaya - (the one who got killed for it!)

I enjoyed them all. Philip Longworth's is the hard going one of the three, the other two draw the reader in and keep him there.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 02:25:26 AM »
The Mendeleyev's thread 'How Russians Think' would make a better book than most printed editions. Ma parole! ;)
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline Ward_Cleaver

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 05:42:15 AM »
Doctor Zhivago?
Crime and Punishment? - I didn't really like this one so I didn't finish it.  (yet)
We the Living?  ;)

I don't know if these are the kind books you are looking for or not.

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 07:37:12 AM »

Offline mendeleyev

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 07:51:45 AM »
Belle, thank you!  I am humbled and grateful.

Bill, I like every book mentioned above in the thread so far.  You're getting some great suggestions from our members!

Here is some of the light/easily readable stuff:

- Culture Shock, A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquettte, Anna Pavlovskaya.
- Klass: How Russians Really Live, David K. Willis (paperback--one of the very best).
- The Moscow Correspondents, Whitman Bassow (fascinating to follow Western journalists stories about their time living in Russia!).
- The Russians, Hedrick Smith (paperback, groundbreaking!).
- Russia, David K Shipler (paperback).
- The Shadow of the Winter Palace, Edward Crankshaw (history leading up to revolution, 1825-1917).
- Alexander Dolgun's Story, Alex Dolgun (about the 3000+ American Ford employees who were trapped in Russia when WWII broke out.  Most, including children went to the Gulag, five made it out alive and 3 eventually returned to America in the 1970's).
- Red Victory, W. Bruce Lincoln (large but very readable, and if you want to understand Russia, this history of the Red/White civil war is valuable).
- Two Lives, One Russia, Nicholas Daniloff (hardbount, American journalist, his parents immigrated to USA and he returned to live in Russia as a journalist, arrested for "spying" just days before returning to the USA.  Reagan-Thatcher-Gorbachev did some "trades" and he was released.  Gorbachev later issued an official apology, admitting that Daniloff had been set up by the KGB.)

Offline David Rochlin

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 01:24:50 AM »
If you read "War and Peace," by Tolstoy, that is THE ONE BOOK, if you read just one, that will force all Russians and Ukrainains to regard you as less than a barbarian, (even though they might not have read it themselves...)
   It is very readable, except for Tolstoy's boring political theories, which purport to prove that Napoleon was just a lucky dog, who was in the right place at the right time, and wasn't really a genius.
Mostly it is a story about love, the kind of love that Tolstoy was interested in, usually involved characters who don't love equally, one partner usually loves more than the other.  So, not only do you learn about Russian history, but you learn about Cossacks, Russian romance, feudal economics, and other aspects of Russian culture, which still offer insights into Russians and Ukrainians, today.

Registration