The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: A Foreign Affair  (Read 29434 times)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: A Foreign Affair
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 08:34:51 AM »
Westcoast

There are many on here that do not recomend a tour in any shape or form, I agree with them too, I am not in the 'take a tour camp' as I have enough confidence in myself and own abilities to do it all by  myself, whether a tour is the way to go or not for you is your decision, its your money and you takes your choice, however, I urge you to listen to the guys here, an AFA tour is most definitely not the way to go!

I and many others have done it on our own, wrote, communicated, spoken on the phone to ladies and it works, why don't you have a go like that too, what do you have to loose.

Chris
Слава Україні

Offline mirror

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 07:45:27 PM »
Thank you Mirror obviously I need all the help I can get.  :) :) :)

You are wellcome,Westcoast.We all are learning from each other and we hope to find a right way.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 09:35:04 PM »
Gentlemen is an AFA or a Jack Bragg tour the way to go I don't know, but if you go through the top Russian Women forums and read the trip reports and look at the number of men who have been to the FSU 10+ times, some much more and are still looking you have to wonder.  These men say doing it all yourself is the best way, 10+ trips, 15+ or more is the best way?  Fifteen trips to the FSU and I will literally qualify for pension, unless I do them monthly.

True I didn't see many favourable comments about AFA, but I did see some and I didn't see any comments about Jack Bragg at all (true I could of missed them since I had never heard of him) until he was mentioned here.  Manny and Ed's comments have to be viewed as coming from competitors, so for me must be excluded. 

Fireeater is right about women appearing on multiple websites, it happens, you have to do your homework.  In general, these women are mostly 25 year olds and less, 30 year olds at the most, too young for me to do anything but look, sometimes look 2 or 3 times mind you.   I only track (I have an database set up) women added in the last year or so and who are about 35+ years old.

It's not that I'm defensive about AFA, but they are by far the biggest tour operator so I am starting at the top and working my way down.  I looked at the "FirstDream" site but they don't have their spring/summer 2009 schedule out so I can't really compare them to AFA.  FirstDreams photo section and comment section said much the same as AFA's.  Suggestions for other tour operators would be appreciated.

Manny, Markje, Chris and Moby please remember my location.  Any of you, when you were looking could have literally done a trip to visit a woman over the course of a weekend (assuming you had a relationship already of course).  Manny regularly drove to Estonia before he was married.  For me it is at least a day travelling time just to Moscow (nothing direct out of Vancouver) and a day back home.  Any place else add in at least 1/2 a day or more just in travelling time.  I like travelling but not that much.

I just read lcdrp trip report, great report for anyone to read.  Like me he is on the west coast of North America (SFO) and he reported significant jet lag on a multi stop trip and I'm sure being a military officer he is in much better shape than me.  I must however, bow to his superior trip planning ability, once again military training pays off. I'll bet he had access to the US navy's supercomputers to finalize his plans.

In short don't worry about me I can afford the cost, really my only problem is the travel time and the language.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 11:23:35 PM »
Any of you, when you were looking could have literally done a trip to visit a woman over the course of a weekend (assuming you had a relationship already of course).  Manny regularly drove to Estonia before he was married. 

It is three days driving each way to Estonia. 7-10 hours by plane from the UK to central Russia where my wife hails from.

I will echo the thoughts of others when I say that tours are seldom a way to go, but if you did want to take one then Jacks would be the only one worth considering IMO. If you want to throw some cash around, you might try Ed's services.

Be it minders, hand holders or tours, remember this: Others are not cheap to feed.

Quote from: WC
but if you go through the top Russian Women forums and read the trip reports

Over the time you have been perusing various forums, did you ever encounter a guy who said, "I met my wife on an AFA tour" I wonder? I have yet to read that.  (To be fair, I have never read that from a Jack or Ed client either.)
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline BCKev

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 11:25:41 PM »

Over the time you have been perusing various forums, did you ever encounter a guy who said, "I met my wife on an AFA tour" I wonder? I have yet to read that.

Time to start a poll?  ;D

Offline Ade

• Spouses Country: Russia/UK-Norway
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 11:49:44 PM »
Gentlemen is an AFA or a Jack Bragg tour the way to go I don't know, but if you go through the top Russian Women forums and read the trip reports and look at the number of men who have been to the FSU 10+ times, some much more and are still looking you have to wonder.  These men say doing it all yourself is the best way, 10+ trips, 15+ or more is the best way?  Fifteen trips to the FSU and I will literally qualify for pension, unless I do them monthly.

Some men are just unlucky, others very picky, then there are those that couldn't get a woman if their life depended on it because women just aren't that desperate; those that do that many trips wouldn't have any more luck in these "socials".

I think you'd have a better chance at finding a wife by taking a random sampling from a dating site, booking some flights and an apartment and just going there to visit them.

True I didn't see many favourable comments about AFA, but I did see some and I didn't see any comments about Jack Bragg at all (true I could of missed them since I had never heard of him) until he was mentioned here.  Manny and Ed's comments have to be viewed as coming from competitors, so for me must be excluded. 

Have you read the AFA/Porter thread over on Dan's site? I'd suggest you take a peek and view the video before you slap down the cash.

Manny, Markje, Chris and Moby please remember my location.  Any of you, when you were looking could have literally done a trip to visit a woman over the course of a weekend (assuming you had a relationship already of course).  Manny regularly drove to Estonia before he was married.  For me it is at least a day travelling time just to Moscow (nothing direct out of Vancouver) and a day back home.  Any place else add in at least 1/2 a day or more just in travelling time.  I like travelling but not that much.

I'm in Scandinavia and it still took me around 16 hours door to door the last time I visited my girlfriend. We've found a better route for November but even so it's a minimum 12 hour trip, door to door. Not a trip I'd like to do on a weekend  ;D

Sure, if my girlfriend were in SPB, I could do it in maybe 6 hours but she isn't, unfortunately.

I just read lcdrp trip report, great report for anyone to read.  Like me he is on the west coast of North America (SFO) and he reported significant jet lag on a multi stop trip and I'm sure being a military officer he is in much better shape than me.  I must however, bow to his superior trip planning ability, once again military training pays off. I'll bet he had access to the US navy's supercomputers to finalize his plans.

There are ways of getting around the jet lag and some people have great success in getting on the destination time before they leave the US. And yes, planning and coordinating all these trips is a pita; my gf and I have spent hours setting up timetables of various carriers to optimize our travels but it's not a big deal if you just focus some effort on it.

In short don't worry about me I can afford the cost, really my only problem is the travel time and the language.

My advice; find some ladies online you can chat with (i.e. that speak English to conversational level). Use any dating site that happens to have Russian/Ukrainian women there; I'm sure there are a bunch that are recommended here and over on Dan's site - of course, use your common sense with regards to scammer/gcg flags - then spend a month writing and maybe phoning, getting to know them before you take a week or two to visit.

It really isn't rocket science.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 01:19:32 AM »
Quote from: Ade
I'm in Scandinavia and it still took me around 16 hours door to door the last time I visited my girlfriend. We've found a better route for November but even so it's a minimum 12 hour trip, door to door. Not a trip I'd like to do on a weekend

Yes even though I am in the UK it still takes me 21 - 23 hours door to door also, I know the guys from the other side of the pond have it much worse on travelling, but even us in Western Europe have significant travel times, (unless you live in London, Paris, Munich et al)  when you factor in 'to and from' airports times, hanging around airports wiating for out of sync connections etc
Слава Україні

Offline mobyone

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: UK
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 01:29:58 AM »
but if you go through the top Russian Women forums and read the trip reports and look at the number of men who have been to the FSU 10+ times, some much more and are still looking you have to wonder. 

;) YES, you do..  some guys just love going there to meet ladies, some go their on biz ( as well as pleasure) and some *say* they've been there so many times, and you just know they haven't by what they write..

There's all sorts of types of guys and gals involved in the process - don't make the mistake of looking at the number of visits made and drawing any conclusions..

Some of us visited many times whilst courting our wives to be and continue to visit Russia AFTER we're married ;)

These men say doing it all yourself is the best way, 10+ trips, 15+ or more is the best way?  Fifteen trips to the FSU and I will literally qualify for pension, unless I do them monthly.

I think you mean some of these guys..  I don't think there *is* a best way that fits all circumstances...We're all unique - BUT .. if you are SERIOUS abiout finding a like minded partner *I* think you have to advertise yourself - in a profile- and not rely on a tour where you are going to meet - mainly - young women - younger than your age criteria..

So, you have Chris' Sparkys' , Mine, etc..... regarding tours, and in another place "older" women..

Fireeater is right about women appearing on multiple websites, it happens, you have to do your homework.  In general, these women are mostly 25 year olds and less, 30 year olds at the most, too young for me to do anything but look, sometimes look 2 or 3 times mind you.   I only track (I have an database set up) women added in the last year or so and who are about 35+ years old.

When some women first decide to look for a husband they are normally taking advice from friends who often tell them - put your profile in many places ...  I think my wife's was in three places... I know of genuine women who had profiles in 10 or more.

It's not that I'm defensive about AFA, but they are by far the biggest tour operator so I am starting at the top and working my way down.  I looked at the "FirstDream" site but they don't have their spring/summer 2009 schedule out so I can't really compare them to AFA.  FirstDreams photo section and comment section said much the same as AFA's.  Suggestions for other tour operators would be appreciated.

You've still got the idea that a tour is going to bring you some benefit ... HOW?

Manny, Markje, Chris and Moby please remember my location.  Any of you, when you were looking could have literally done a trip to visit a woman over the course of a weekend (assuming you had a relationship already of course). 

YES, I could fly to Kiev or Moscow for a long weekend, but my WIFE's city is 11+ hours travelling time plus six hours waiting time ;)  I first stated my search with a notion that I would set a limit on travel time ... then I decided I'd look for the woman, and her location was irrelevent !

;) As he admits he could have saved himelf some running around ;) .. Not sure the Navy's computers will help with the logisitics of flying to the FSU !

But, we DO "worry" about you ... we may "bitch" about the right way to find a woman, but we do want others to succeed in finding a wife.. If you've got the money - ther are wiser ways to invest in your "project".. 

Rather than take the tour - Start taking Russian lessons - lift yourself above your "competition" .. FSU Russian speaking women will appreciate you made the effort AND you'll be able to view Russian dating sites, too.

Offline fireeater

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 06:44:01 AM »

Westcoast

The woman ages range higher then you have stated. They are all ages, including the 35+ and up. In fact of two duplicated profiles I found set up on the same site, the woman's age was 41 and 43. Occupations for these
 the first one stated administrator, the next housewife. The other teacher and lawyer. Age has nothing to do with this they are in all age ranges.

And you will only find them on high priced paysites, never the lower priced ones, or any other free one. Some of the most "popular women" are the 35+ year age group. If you check the ones who show who is one line, you will also find there is no way some of these can be working at a real job, and be at the agency as well. If they did they would never sleep.  :chuckle:

And I have seen other posts that confirm this as well, including some of the kickbacks these woman get.     

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 07:21:12 AM »

Hi Westcoast,

I missed this part earlier, but as you may have noticed, my vacation time with Lena together is far from "weekend trips"  , in fact, its pretty much the same as any USA/Canada/Australian resident. Although its true that the time in travel for me is much shorter than my comrades on the other side of the pond, the MONEY required still makes this an expensive endeavor that I can not hop over for a weekend only. (And yes, I truly do make enough money by Dutchie standards)

According to major travel sites:

Newyork -> Moscow round-trip will cost you 700 euro's with 17 hours flight time.

KLM (Amsterdam->Moscow) round trip, will cost me 600 Euro's with 4 hours travel time.

Note that the money required is not that much less!!

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline BCKev

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 07:56:14 AM »

When some women first decide to look for a husband they are normally taking advice from friends who often tell them - put your profile in many places ...  I think my wife's was in three places... I know of genuine women who had profiles in 10 or more.

You will also find that womens' profiles will be posted on other sites without the womens' knowledge. As Fireeater noted, he sees this on paysites. Some local agencies will make deals to have the profiles of their women clients posted on numerous websites for the simple reason that it can bring in more revenue. This practice probably makes the problem of outdated/obsolete profiles worse, because the second and third sites do not have any contact with the woman that initially set up the profile.

All of this is going on without the womens' knowledge or consent, so be careful about making judgements about women based on how many and where their profiles are posted

Offline mirror

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 07:56:48 AM »

FSU Russian speaking women will appreciate you made the effort AND you'll be able to view Russian dating sites, too.

When a man says me "PRIVET" or something at Russian I am getting suspicious with this man and I don't talk to him anymore.My thoughts are "he is a sex tourist".
Of course it is just my private opinion.  

Offline mobyone

• Watched
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2008, 08:04:36 AM »

FSU Russian speaking women will appreciate you made the effort AND you'll be able to view Russian dating sites, too.

When a man says me "PRIVET" or something at Russian I am getting suspicious with this man and I don't talk to him anymore.My thoughts are "he is a sex tourist".
Of course it is just my private opinion.  

OMG.. Bog moi..

I think you'd better revise your criteria ... The guy has made an effort and you throw him back in the sea ;)  :-o

Offline mobyone

• Watched
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2008, 08:07:31 AM »
You will also find that womens' profiles will be posted on other sites without the womens' knowledge. All of this is going on without the womens' knowledge or consent, so be careful about making judgements about women based on how many and where their profiles are posted

GOOD Point ..

I was getting intro letters from ladies I had already MET from Aweb and armyofbrides - long after I knew "better" - they had "left" and I had told them I was married ;)))))

Offline mirror

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2008, 08:28:25 AM »

I think you'd better revise your criteria ...

No,never. It is my prejudice.

The guy has made an effort and you throw him back in the sea ;)  :-o

He made an effort YES,but it is useless ...what for to speak at Russian?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2008, 08:30:53 AM »

To understand his russian inlaws ? Its exactly the reason I am now studying hard for Russian, but unfortunatly its not going fast enough for me.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline BCKev

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2008, 08:33:55 AM »

To understand his russian inlaws ? Its exactly the reason I am now studying hard for Russian, but unfortunatly its not going fast enough for me.

YES!!!!  An excellent example!  My mother in law doesn't speak any english at all. At least I can have a simple conversation with her now.

Offline mirror

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2008, 08:36:23 AM »
To understand his russian inlaws ?

Are you going to live them?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2008, 08:38:28 AM »
To understand his russian inlaws ?

Are you going to live them?

1 week a year, at least :)
OO===[][]===OO

Offline mobyone

• Watched
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2008, 08:43:46 AM »

I think you'd better revise your criteria ...

No,never. It is my prejudice.

not the adjective that immediately comes to *my* mind, Mirror .. ;)

The guy has made an effort and you throw him back in the sea ;)  :-o

I'll leave Markje or someone else to try to explain the *obvious*.....

Naw..

1/ I can converse with my Mother-in-Law in "Ringlish" and My Wife's G/mother in lousy Russian / German

2/ I can travel and do things in Russia / Ukraine without needing hand holding

3/ My wife / her son  don't need to stop every few seconds to translate at a family / social gathering..

4/ When I "irritate" my wife, I often understand what she is telling her friends about me on the phone ;)

Offline fireeater

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »

You will also find that womens' profiles will be posted on other sites without the womens' knowledge. As Fireeater noted, he sees this on paysites. Some local agencies will make deals to have the profiles of their women clients posted on numerous websites for the simple reason that it can bring in more revenue. This practice probably makes the problem of outdated/obsolete profiles worse, because the second and third sites do not have any contact with the woman that initially set up the profile.

All of this is going on without the womens' knowledge or consent, so be careful about making judgements about women based on how many and where their profiles are posted

That can be true in some cases, that a woman's profile is put on by the agency and not by herself, or with her knowledge.  :o

But one should also not make assumptions by everything he reads either, about the women. Or by what is posted by others in a negative way. In my case I did confirm what I have said, by joining one and finding out myself. I have even asked that question, why the different sites.  For most cases you will never get an answer. Only one did and said she was there but was no longer, and even tried to explain the occupation difference. (but took a couple of notes before she came clean about it).  :D 

Not a bad way to ensure you do understand the difference between the different ways of searching. One has to learn the bad as well as the good to effectively conquer any "system".   

If one is truly honest that question should not be hard to answer. If she does not know she would ask where did I find it. Silence only confirms she knows, and is avoiding the direct question. Silence does not mean she is afraid to tell you, since it should be the same for the one you are on with her.

And for the massive amount of woman on any of these systems, marriages are extremely rare. Yet should be more plentiful considering the volume available.   

Offline mobyone

• Watched
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 11:09:12 AM »
That can be true in some cases, that a woman's profile is put on by the agency and not by herself, or with her knowledge.  :o

Many marriage agencies are local and syndicate to international ones.. Most ladies are told this- they just don't realise how many !

But one should also not make assumptions by everything he reads either, about the women. Or by what is posted by others in a negative way. In my case I did confirm what I have said, by joining one and finding out myself. I have even asked that question, why the different sites.  For most cases you will never get an answer. Only one did and said she was there but was no longer, and even tried to explain the occupation difference. (but took a couple of notes before she came clean about it).  :D 

Sorry, I don't understand the big "problem" with having profiles on many sites - we are / were members to get noticed, right ?!  In my experience, OK it's now two and half years out of date,  the ladies often didn't even know the name of the site where I might have found their profile..

If one is truly honest that question should not be hard to answer. If she does not know she would ask where did I find it. Silence only confirms she knows, and is avoiding the direct question. Silence does not mean she is afraid to tell you, since it should be the same for the one you are on with her.

Oh Dear ... you are rather too fixated about this IMHO...  may be you should stay away from the agency sites altogether - and concentrate on the ones where the lady puts up her own profile.

And for the massive amount of woman on any of these systems, marriages are extremely rare. Yet should be more plentiful considering the volume available.   

How true, but what do you think the reason for this is? .. Manny has mentioned his wife has trouble getting ladies to reply when updates are necessary.. May be they married or just lost interest....  I reckon  if a lady is really interested she'll keep updating her profile - so may be one should search for new or  recently updated profiles to stand a "better chance" ... I started doing that and saw my wife's profile.. ;)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 11:47:02 AM »
I reckon  if a lady is really interested she'll keep updating her profile

Not really. Only if she is fixated on going abroad. Most women view abroad as "just another option", and continue to date local guys and forget about it until contacted by a man or an agency.

I would see a red flag in profiles updated every five minutes - she would be too eager.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline fireeater

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 12:23:54 PM »

Many marriage agencies are local and syndicate to international ones.. Most ladies are told this- they just don't realise how many !

Sorry, I don't understand the big "problem" with having profiles on many sites - we are / were members to get noticed, right ?!  In my experience, OK it's now two and half years out of date,  the ladies often didn't even know the name of the site where I might have found their profile..

Oh Dear ... you are rather too fixated about this IMHO...  may be you should stay away from the agency sites altogether - and concentrate on the ones where the lady puts up her own profile.

How true, but what do you think the reason for this is? .. Manny has mentioned his wife has trouble getting ladies to reply when updates are necessary.. May be they married or just lost interest....  I reckon  if a lady is really interested she'll keep updating her profile - so may be one should search for new or  recently updated profiles to stand a "better chance" ... I started doing that and saw my wife's profile.. ;)

Some of your comments "may" be correct for some.

But all are current profiles, not old ones. As I have already stated.  And if your use all the tools of the site you can also determine they are still in use. And they are being updated on a regular basis with new pictures.

And is some the old profile is killed while a new one with basically the same information in now posted, to make her look like a brand new one. It is one way to break off all contact with those she was talking to before. Not just a way to refresh her profile. she can do that no problem, as we can.

You have not been in this game recently, you are married now for a while.  On large international sites, you have far too many issues to deal with for finding the true women. Agency sending you letters on behalf of women, form letters for volume, (from agencies and the women), as well as these other paid real woman who work for them. And too many old no longer used profiles, means the man just paid to send a note to nobody. Not all men can determine that so easily, or know which are or which are not.

And if being honest with the other is not acceptable, then you never clear up doubts or issues when they occur. Which leads to nothing happening in the relationship, except its death.  

Offline mobyone

• Watched
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2008, 02:18:46 PM »

I reckon  if a lady is really interested she'll keep updating her profile

Not really. Only if she is fixated on going abroad.

???! How do you draw that conclusion?! - I was being general about any profile - man or woman..I suppose I was alluding to non agency sites... a site where a women / man can "market" themselves..

Most women view abroad as "just another option", and continue to date local guys and forget about it until contacted by a man or an agency.

No argument , there - but many ladies did actually say they would move abroad - for the right man in their profiles.

I would see a red flag in profiles updated every five minutes - she would be too eager.

I guess I would mean "updating" as circulating photos - moving them around, posting new / recent ones... I *didn't*/ wouldn't  see "red flags" unless they were always holiday ones.... and there were other "red flags".

Real life example: I *NEARLY* wrote off Veta as a "holiday dater" as there were shots of her in Turkey on her profile - NOT bikini ones ! So I asked her outright and she promptly sent ones of her with her son taken in the same place - she was still married - it was their last family holiday ....    :-o  ..

There there's a case for being careful about being too hasty re "red flags"  - that WOULD have been a life changing mistake, BIG TIME, for us.....  I even asked some  Russian women, I knew, and they advised me to "move on".....