The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Checklist before you travel to FSU  (Read 125857 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Checklist before you travel to FSU
« on: October 18, 2008, 07:43:35 AM »
This is a work in progress, thanks to many members who have given suggestions and advice.  Use this section of RUA to plan the practical details of your trip: clothing, accessories, gifts, money exchange, cameras/photos, etc.

Members will continue to add to the list and from time to time the Moderators will take ideas from member posts and place them inside the larger 'catagory' lists.

Airline tickets to the FSU:
The best resource of any similiar site is here on RUA.  Compiled by our members who have given their personal recommendations based on experience: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=150.msg0#new

Airline flight services:

- Aeroflot baggage restrictions/limitations: http://www.aeroflot.ru/ENG/information.aspx?ob_no=495

- British Airways baggage restrictions/limitations: http://www.britishairways.com/travel/baggag/public/en_gb

- Delta baggage restrictions/limitations: http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/baggage_allowance/index.jsp

- KLM baggage restrictions/limitations: http://www.ttravel.com/NWA-KLM-Baggage-Rule-Changes.html

- American Airlines baggage restrictions/limitations: https://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jsp&anchorEvent=false

Airport Security/Visas-Passport Control/Customs information

Liquids allowed in hand luggage: Russian Federation 
Water and other drinks, soups, syrups, jam, honey.
Lotions, creams and oils.
Perfume, eau de cologne and eau de toilette Sprays
Gels, including hair and shower gels.
Pressurized containers including shaving foams and other foams and deodorants.
Pastes, including toothpastes
Liquid and solid mixtures
Mascara and any other solutions and items of similar consistency.

The following restrictions apply to the above-listed liquids:
Containers must have the volume no greater than 100ml. Liquids in any containers larger than 100 ml are not allowed, even if the container is only partially filled.
Liquids Must be placed into a transparent resealable bag not exceeding the size of 18x20 cm. The total volume of liquids may not exceed 1 liter.

Passport Control
Visa control is a subject of transport company duties. Passport control checks the allowance of a person to be on Russian territory and doesn’t carry responsibility for allowance to enter any other country.

Non-compliance with the entry/transit requirements (incl. forged documents) results in fines for carrier of 30,000. – per passenger and deportation or indefinite delay for passenger in point of entry (detention costs at carriers expense).

Validity: passports must be valid for the period of intended stay in Russia.

All alien persons entering Russia are to fill in an immigration form to produce one to the passport control. It is strongly recommended to do the form before passport control in block Lain letters. The blanks are available onboard your aircraft. Please ask your airline flight attendant for help to do the form properly. Upon departure, the B section of the immigration form must be produced to the passport control.

Visa requirements
Visa required for all foreign citizens, except for nationals of CIS countries, by exception of Georgia and Turkmenia. An official invitation is required for issuing visa. Visas cannot be granted upon arrival.

1. Visas, excluding multiple, are valid for one trip only and should be used according it’s applicability. Visas and passports with expired date or bearing marks appeared unofficially are considered invalidate.

2. Passenger with tourist visas should have hotel reservation.

3. All foreigners should be registered in Ministry of Internal Affairs or hotels if stay longer than a 3 day period.

4. It’s strongly recommended to have health or tourist insurance, covering all medical expenses.

5. It’s strongly recommended to avoid doubtful registration firms using unofficial ways.

Between Russia and Belarus there is no visa required, HOWEVER for citizens of non-CIS countries it causes Russian transit visa requirements if they fly from the territory of Belarus through Domodedovo airport to third countries (or from third countries through Domodedovo to Belarus). Russian transit visa can be obtained at any Russian Embassy having travel tickets and visa of destination country. Passengers without Russian visa will not be permitted to take connection flight. In such cases, transit visa can be obtained at Domodedovo consular before passport control point (+7-095-9678121). The transit visa will be issued and you will be allowed to pass passport control.

Customs information
The system of Red and Green channels is used in Russian Federation.

Free import in cases:
Total cost of the imported goods is less than 65 thousand rubles and/or total weight is less than 35 kg. and allowances are:
1. Alcoholic beverages (including beer) 2 litres 
2. Tobacco products  50 cigars, 100 cigarillos, 200 cigarettes, 0,25 kg tobacco*
3. Caviar («black») Maximum – 250 gram per person 

In case if only one type of tobacco being imported, 100 cigars, 200 cigarillos, 400 cigarettes and 0.5 kg tobacco allowed.

Taxes are taken in accordance with following rates:
For goods, with total price exceeding 65 thousand rubles and/or if their total weight exceeds 35 kg, but is less than 650 thousand rubles and 200 kg - 30 percent customs duty, but not less than 4 euro per kilogram in the exceeding part.

Exported goods for personal use do not come within customs fees or taxes.
Archeological, historical and artistic objects are allowed for export with written permission of Ministry of Cultural Affairs confirming that the exported goods are either not under governmental accounting or are within the statute "import and export of cultural objects". A photograph of the exported object is needed to accompany the written document from Cultural Affairs Ministry.

For all kind of weapons besides declaration, a special permit from Ministry of Internal Affairs is needed. This permit can be obtained at the relevant police authority. For bow-instruments besides declaration a special permit from Ministry of Cultural Affairs is needed. If the instrument is older than 50 years a special permission from Ministry of Cultural Affairs is needed.

Goods - subject for declaring.
Imported goods with total price exceeding 65 000 RUB and/or with total weight exceeds 35 kg. Precious metals and stones, except for personal use, must be declared and are subject to tax.

Prohibited
Plants and animals, their parts, derivatives as well as drawn products from them, which are under the danger of extinction. If you travel with normal domestic animals or carry plants, you have to go through phytocontrol and veterinary control.

Narcotic and psychotropic substances, and their precursors. Drastic and poisonous substances.

Hf and radio-electronic devices except peripherals. Special technical devices designed for obtaining information secretly. Exported materials which contain National Security Information/State secret. Weapons, weapons parts, and ammunition of any sort are prohibited.

Currency information
Import: allowed in equivalent of up to $10.000. Amount exceeding $10.000 is subject to declaration.

Export: if total amount exceeds $3.000 than written declaration required. If total amount exceeds $10.000 than the passenger is obliged to have written import declaration or other documentation confirming import or transferring foreign currencies to Russia on the amount that exceeds $10.000.

Traveler's cheques are allowed within limits of previously imported if complied documentation is presented, without written declaration. Traveler's cheques, purchased in Russia, require written declaration (red channel).

Complete accomodation/translator/guides/ground support services:

- For Russia: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=2717.0  Right here on RUA is perhaps the best list for Russian services on the entire web!  Includes RUA member recommendations!

- For Ukraine: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=47.0  One of the best lists for Ukraine services on the web is right here at RUA with recommendations from our members!

Offline mendeleyev

Re: Checklist before you travel to FSU
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 07:44:26 AM »
Winter Travel

- Good boots with bottom tread to walk on icy sidewalks.

- A good coat that covers your ankles below and covers your neck above.  No "v neck" coat in Russia's north. Don't take leather, instead take wool or something which will breathe with your body heat as you go inside and outside with extreme temp changes.

- A scarf to wrap around your neck/throat area.

- An umbrella to ward off some of the wet snow as it falls and a hat "Ushanka" to protect your head and ears will be very important.

- Excellent advice from RUA member Eduard: Thermal underware is great if the weather dipps to -20 C or worse. I would also suggest that you get your "Ushanka" at home before arriving to Moscow. I personally don't remember them being sold near every metro station and by the time you find one you are likely to catch a nasty cold. You can purchase one on Ebay, and the price by the way is likely to be better than in Moscow. You will be shocked by Moscow prices, I  think. Here is the link, $40 with free shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com/Grey-Trooper-Bomber-STYLE-Ushanka-Rabbit-Fur-Hat-Size-L_W0QQitemZ370093064397QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370093064397&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

-Boots:  Eduard also suggests UGGS boots lined with real fur (forget synthetic fur, won't work in that weather) I would recommend getting the ones just like mine: http://cgi.ebay.com/Ugg-Beacon-Brown-Sherpa-Suede-Leather-Boots-mens-10_W0QQitemZ350109262380QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350109262380&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

- When you get the boots, make sure that they are at least half a size bigger than what you usually wear so that you can have room for thick socks.

- The same can be said for sweaters, etc.  Likely you will quickly learn to "layer" clothing on top of each other to stay warm, taking off some items when indoors.

- Small flashlight for when the lights goes out in your apartment/also helpful on the train.

- Electric (northern europe) converter so you can charge your camera.

- Take cold/flu medicines.  Traveling from many parts in the West to that far north your body will react to the change.  Think about it: if it's 80 degrees in Los Angeles and -20 in Moscow, the only thing separating your body from a 100 degree temp change is 14 hours on Aeroflot.

- 2 or 3 paperback books to read at airport and other travel delays.  When done leave them for the next passenger who may appreciate practicing their English reading skills.

- Little tissue (kleenex, etc) packets are a godsend: to use for colds, napkins, toilet tissue, etc.  Take a packet for each day in Russia.

- Did we mention an assortment of cold/flu medicines? 

- A notebook/journal to write down important reminders, contacts, travel schedules, etc.

- An extra copy of passport and visa stashed somewhere besides on your person.  Makes it easier to travel back to Moscow if the original disappears and speeds the process for your Embassy to replace.

- Instead of taking a large digital card for your camera, take several smaller cards and change every few days.  If your camera disappears you'll not lose the entire trip because everything was on one card.

- Take a good pair of warm slippers.  You'll be given a pair in each home you enter, and you should wear them, whether or not they fit.  I like my own and it's perfectly acceptable to bring them along.  If they compliment your slippers, be certain, in fact insist that you leave them there when you return home.  A nice pair of slippers makes a good gift too.

Very good advice from RUA member and RW OlgaM:
-Winter travel: very oily facial creeme \ milk, to protect your face skin from the freezing air, wind, snow, etc. NOTE: it has to be made in a country which actually has a winter (Sweden - "Oriflame", "Neutrogena"; Germany - "Nivea"). If you can find some specific creme for skiers - that's even better. Same applies to a transparent lipstick.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 07:44:57 AM »
Summer Travel

Summer is probably the best time for a first-time traveler to Russia/Ukraine.  It is so much easier to travel and to see things in the summer months. 

- Walking shoes...your new best friend.  Don't buy these, invest in them.  Your feet will thank you.

- Since it rains every few days in summer, take a small umbrella and thin raincoat which can be tucked away into a daypack.

- Don't underdress.  Smart casual is how Mendeleyev travels.  I don't even own shorts or sandals in Russia.  Shorts mark you as a foreigner immediately and most Russians view sandals as the sign of a very poor person who can't afford decent shoes.

- A jacket, dress shirt and tie are good accessories.  RW like to dress up for special dinners or visits to extended family.  If you don't dress up a little too, the unspoken message will be that you don't think it's important enough to dress nicely for her/her relatives/your romantic outing, etc.

- Electricity throughout the FSU is 220 volt. The plug is 2 pin, North European standard.

- Russian has much of the same wildlife as in the West, but the severe cold helps control insects.  Except for mosquitoes. At night mosquitoes can be quite irritating; if you are sensitive to them, take an anti-repellent with a nice smell.

- The more connections you make flying over, the more chances of losing or delaying your luggage.  Take a carryon with at least 1 day change of clothing.

- Take a small pocket sized battery operated fan from a store such as Walmart, etc.  Sometimes you'll be in a place, such as an overnight train, where the air is stifling and the fan can move it around for you.

- Take a small compact flashlight, too.

- Extra batteries for your camera, fan, and flashlight.

OlgaM, one of our RW members has this tip:
- Train \ summer travels: some (maybe alcohol-containing) facial lotion to wipe off the dust and train soot off your face (if you can't use the train toilet because you woke up 5 minutes before arrival and\or if you're afraid the contact of the train water with your skin will lead to spots you weren't having since your teenage years...).

2 Tall Bill has these great tips:
Take care of your Feet !!!

I usually walk 5 + miles per day while in the FSU. If you are good
to your feet then they will be good to you. Basketball shoes are excellent
for playing basketball in. The are made to make quick starts, stops and changes in
direction.

They are horrible for walking long distances  over pot hole filled concrete
and asphalt. They do not let your feet breath properly and they make a negative
fashion statement in the FSU. Don't bring your church shoes that give you a blister
if you attend a long service. Fashion is nice but quality and comfort are more important.

Blisters, foot rot, bloody socks, stinky feet rarely attract the cutest RW. Walk 7 miles a day
for a week in a pair of Nike Airs and you will have many if not all of the above RW repellent 
qualities.

1. Buy a couple of pairs of high quality fashionable dress shoes and or boots that are comfortable and durable.

2. Break your shoes in before bringing them to the FSU or the shoes will break in your feet
it's your choice. Wear them for three days not in a row to your office. Then Polish them
up nicely or have a pro do it.

3. A little bit of baby powder will keep your feet cool and dry in the summer and warm and
dry in the winter. A dry foot is a happy foot!

4. Cut your toe nails. It will cause the shoe to fit properly on your foot and cause less stress
on your toes and feet, it will keep your socks from looking like Oliver Twist's socks and besides mens feet look bad enough, properly cut toe nails is proper hygiene especially in the FSU. For best results go to a nail place and get a proper manicure and pedicure.

5. In the winter a good pair of boots will keep you warm comfortable and not feeling like you
are wearing roller skates on an escalator during snowy days. If you prevent just one slip and
fall on an icy sidewalk you will be infinitely happier.

6. Alternate your shoes. Don't wear the same pair each day. It will give your feet and your shoes
a break. Change your socks frequently, and don't buy the thinest socks. A slightly thicker sock gives your feet some additional cushion and is more absorbent.

7. I bring a small polish kit and touch up my shoes especially on rainy / snowy days. Your shoes
will last longer, repel water better, be more comfortable and look sharper.

8. Tip for shining shoes, take a little extra time, bring a little plastic bag to keep polish off
of your fingers. You don't want to look like you just overhauled your Harley.

2 Tall Bill says:
Foot powder or baby powder makes those ten miles more comfortable.

Small Flashlight, I have never been to the FSU without the power going off at least once.

Chap Stick to keep your lips from getting dry and works for hang nails too

I-pod / CD player

Gum, for when you eat out and can't brush

Digital camera

Electric converters and adapters

Some coffee table picture books of your area

I bring a Swiss army knife in my packed luggage. I have used the little scissors and the screwdriver feature on every single trip at least once.

A full size American fluffy bath towel, the ones in the apartments are always small and thread bare.

Many men recommend some melatonin (how do you spell this?) to help regulate sleep patterns. Nothing works for me but it works for others.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 07:50:18 AM »
ATMs-Banks/Currency Exchange

RUA member Donhollio reminds us:
- Have the contact number for your embassy.

- Let your bank know you will be travelling.

RUA member Leftshoe says:
- I worry about loosing money , credit cards and the problems with replacing these. So I separate in to three places.  I carry cash on me with identification. and a debit card. I leave a credit card and a debit card in the room with additional  identification.

- Before the trip I send my self money through western union and memorize the transaction mumber.

RUA member TwoBitBandit suggests:
- Make sure your dollar/euro bills are clean and crisp.  Bills with missing corners, tears, staple holes, ink of any kind, excessively worn in the middle, etc won't be accepted for exchange.  On my first trip to Russia, I didn't realize this and almost half of my bills could not be exchanged.

This good idea from BCKev:
- Take enough cash to last a day or two until you're oriented to ATM locations.

Excellent links to calculate currency exchange rates: http://finance.yahoo.com/currency?u

www.xe.com

In Ukraine

The monetary unit of the present-day Ukraine is hryvnia. Money can be exchanged at banks, exchange desks at hotels, shops or licensed exchange windows. Passport is not required for exchange operations. Exchange rate might differ from the official National Bank of Ukraine rate.  Average 2008 daily exchange: 1 dollar = 4.84 hryvnia.

USD and EURO are the most popular currencies in exchange booths. Other currencies are more difficult to exchange and have lower rates due to minor circulation in Ukraine.

VISA, MasterCard / EuroCard are accepted in major hotels, restaurants, casinos, stores, ATM's.

Insurance: Medical, Luggage, Trip delays
- Just google "trip insurance" and you will find companies like these:
http://www.csatravelprotection.com/
https://www.globaltravelshield.com/
www.travelguard.com/

Most of these type companies insure your luggage, insure you from missed flights/delays, and provide emergency evacuation if you need to be transported home for medical reasons.  Some also provide a short-term health insurance benefit to cover doctor or hospital emergencies during the trip.

If you choose to take their health insurance (and if traveling to Russia you definitely should), choose a plan which guarantees payment--in other words they pay the hospital directly so that you are free to leave the country on schedule.  Some plans only reimburse you, sometimes months after you've had to fork over cash during your travel.

Your American health insurance provider WILL NOT COVER YOU WHILE IN RUSSIA or UKRAINE unless your travel is work related and you have insurance benefits thru your employer!

- To obtain a Russian visa you must certify that you will have a health policy in place for your travel.  It's easy to get a temporary travel policy on the Internet from good companies.

- You can purchase a Ukrainian health card for coverage upon arrival in Ukraine.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 07:50:59 AM »
Travel in Moscow; or from Moscow to another city

Moderator Manny suggests this link for a taxi in Moscow:
- Take a look at Uncle Pasha's page here: http://www.moscowdrivers.net/ - there are a few on there.

- Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport: http://www.sheremetyevo-airport.ru/?act=part&pid=549

- Moscow's Domodedovo airport: http://www.domodedovo.ru/en/main/getting/1/aero/

RUA member Chivo offers this link to the elevated train from SVO to other Moscow destinations:
- http://www.aero-express.ru/en/index.php

From member MBS01...
High Speed Trains:
Some regions have high speed trains between the major cities.

These are very modern much like what we have in North America or Western Europe.  Coaches are either open aisle or with compartments for 3 or 6 passengers.  Attendants stroll the aisles with sandwiches and snacks.  TV's are in evey coach and/or compartment showing old movies and videos.

These trains run during the daytime, thus no sleeper compartments as on the older overnight trains many of us have travelled on. Washrooms are modern and equipped for those with disabilities.  Also very clean and spacious by comparison to the older models too. This is a great way to ride between major cities and they are very comfortable and speedy by local rail standards. 

From member OlgaMouse, here are the schedules between Moscow and St Petersburg:
#024 "Youth" 12:30 - 19:22
#160 "Aurora" 16:30 - 22:00
http://press.rzd.ru/wps/portal/press?STRUCTURE_ID=1035
#166 "Nevsky Express" 18:30 - 23:00

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 07:51:46 AM »
Travel in Kiev; or from Kiev/Odessa to another city

Here's an excellent tip from RUA member BCKev:
- For those travelling by train from Kiev there is a direct bus from the airport to the train station. It is comfortable, fast and cheap - 25 griven.

Member Khersonrent suggests...
for travelling by train
website of train departments is http://uz.gov.ua doesnt have english version.
As an alternative use http://www.poezda.net/en/index (very hard in using)

- Prices are here: http://www.uz.gov.ua/index.php?m=services.transppl.schedulkiev&lng=uk
(Look up the train number on the first site, then find that train number in the drop down menu at top center at the second site to get the prices.)

Public Transportation
Operates from 6 a.m. to 1 a.m. Bus, trolley bus, and tram system is a cheap way to travel within cities. Prices range from 10 cents to 50 cents a ticket.

Metro is available in Kiev, Kharkov, and Dnipropetrovsk. Price for a metro ticket is 10 cents. Metro is the cheapest, fastest, and most reliable way of transportation. Metro is also a major sightseeing spot for tourists since metro stations have remarkable interiors that reflect modern decorative designs and historical periods of the country.

MARSHRUTKA
Another very convenient and fast way of traveling withing Ukraine is done by "marshrutka," which means a taxi van. Marshrutkas are very popular in every town and city in Ukraine. These taxi vans not only travel within a certain town/city, but they also serve intercity routes. A driver of a marshrutka usually drives 5-20 people at once. Prices vary from 20 cents to $1 a person within a city or $1-$10 a person for intercity routes.

Trains across Ukraine
Train is a very reliable way to travel within Ukraine, especially in the winter time when many domestic flights are cancelled or delayed due to poor weather conditions, while car travel is not good either and bus travel, being quite uncomfortable, will take ages. On top of that many cities just cannot be reached via air. A train will definitely be en-rout and will reach a destination point on time or with minimum delay, no matter what is the weather and time of the year. Therefore, train travel in Ukraine is so popular among travelers. Not to mention it is very inexpensive.

- Purchasing tickets
Train tickets can be purchased at the railroad stations and offices, and in a few travel agencies. It is required to show passports of all individuals who will be travelling on bought tickets. The main ticket office for rail travel in Kiev is located at 38/40 Tarasa Shevchenka Blvd., Kiev, Ukraine. Please, note that knowing some Ukrainian or Russian is a useful skill while getting the tickets at the railroad office since knowing foreign language is not a requirement for working there.

Also, tickets cannot be reserved or put on hold, they can be bought only. The tickets are bookable within 42 days term prior to the departure date. Train tickets are not available earlier. For more comfort and privacy, it is recommended to buy out all of the tickets for a compartment. This is a good idea for women and anyone traveling alone who does not feel safe sharing a compartment with other people, although making friends on the train can be one of the best experiences of your trip, not to mention the change to learn some Russian language.

The ticket tariff varies from $10 to $50 and includes insurance and taxes. Payment for the linen and towels is due upon check-in to a steward directly in amount of UAH 5-10 (which is $1-2). Make sure you have some local currency to pay for the linen. It is not required to buy the linen for empty beds in a compartment you are travelling. Tickets are typed by means of printers on the specially designed forms with water marks. These templates are bilingual - Ukrainian and Russian, inserted data is in Russian.

From member MSB01...
High Speed Trains:
In Ukraine there are daily high speed trains between Kiev and Dnepropetrovsk.  Also between Kiev and Kharkov.  Now there are likely many others perhaps even to the south towards the Crimea.  Lubov also has such a line.

These are very modern much like what we have in North America or Western Europe.  Coaches are either open aisle or with compartments for 3 or 6 passengers.  Attendants stroll the aisles with sandwiches and snacks.  TV's are in evey coach and/or compartment showing old movies and videos about the construction and services on Rail Ukraine, etc.

These trains run during the daytime, thus no sleeper compartments as on the older overnight trains many of us have travelled on. Washrooms are modern and equipped for those with disabilities.  Also very clean and spacious by comparison to the older models too. This is a great way to ride between major cities in Ukraine.  Very comfortable and speedy by local rail standards.  About 6 hours between Kiev and Dnepropetrovsk with 2 trains each direction every day.

Bus Travel in Ukraine(Member Khersonrent)
for travelling by bus
website with bus timetable is http://bus.com.ua, has english version, but very hard in using

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 07:52:38 AM »
Traveling on the train

Here are practical suggestions from our members to help you survive, and have an enjoyable trip, on the train:

- Small flashlight for when the lights goes out in your apartment/also helpful on the train.

- Create a "train kit" which includes your own sturdy plastic cup with lid, a small knife, couple of plastic forks/spoons, and some little packets of instant oatmeal, mashed potatoes/instant chicken noodle soup, a handtowel and small travel soap.  This has saved me several times when sick on board or when the meal car is out of food or if I don't trust what they're serving. The one constant on a Russian train is hot water and with that I can fend for myself if needed.

- When your lady is traveling with you add a few packets to the above and this stuff is so light/small that its not a problem if not needed.

- A notebook or journal to write down important contact details, train schedules, notes, etc.

- Take a good Russian basic language workbook.  People in the train will be thrilled to tutor you and nothing beats the experience of learning a language as you travel in that language.  You'll grasp concepts/words/phrases in days that would have taken weeks/months back home.  Most importantly as you 'live' in a language you'll learn how to speak what you learn correctly. (Best because of it's material and the manageable size: "Learn Russian the Fast and Fun Way" which you can find on Amazon and other places easily.)

- Don't forget to take along several compact tissue packets!

- A small personal-sized compact fan is great in the summer.  Sometime the air can be stifling and a small fan is a lifesaver.  About $4-5 at Walmart.

- Buy some bottled water before you get on the train.  You should know that unless you ask for water without gas you'll be given carbonated water....and if your system is "adjusting" to Russian food, the last thing you need is gassed up water.  You want вода без газа.  Just say "Vah-da nee gaza" and they'll get the idea.

- Many Russian train toilets empty onto the tracks.  So to keep from stinking up the entire country the train attendants will lock the toilets before the train approaches a town/city.  In the morning there can be a line waiting for open toilets.  Plan those "potty breaks"   as much as possible so that you don't get caught needing to go at the worst possible times.

- Its fun to try new foods, especially when the train has stopped at a station and the little babushki are selling goodies near the tracks.  Bless their hearts, its how they survive and I can't pass up a grandmother who is trying to hold her life together. Choose wisely--and remember that advice about live cultures/your body adjusting/diarrhea.

- Share with your trainmates and they will make your ride both enjoyable and safe.

Our RW member OlgaM says:
- Wet tissues \ "antiseptic" or something like that \ any cheap kind \ to wipe things you'll touch in the train (cabin table, door handle, lamp switch, etc.) and \ or your tray table in the Russian plane;

- Wet tissues \ "for intimate hygiene" \ to be used in trains, airports, etc. - as the dry kleenex doesn't always help to prevent skin irritation after your body has reacted to a "live" Russian food;

- Hand cleansing gel ("Arnica essentiel" from Yves Rocher highly recommended; the most popular brand in Russia is somehow "Sanitelle", but it dries skin a lot) - to wipe your hands before eating, after eating greazy food (or that grilled chicken you've bought from the babushka at the station) if you ran out of kleenexes, and after typing a mail back home from the internet cafe in Dumpsk;

- Any travel, especially in trains: some "money-hiding"... erm... pockets? you can fix around ankle and hide under socks & trousers.

Here are some good train links from BCKev:
- For those travelling by train from Kiev there is a direct bus from the airport to the train station. It is comfortable, fast and cheap - 25 grivna.

- Train schedules in English here:  http://www.poezda.net/en/

-Prices are here: http://www.uz.gov.ua/index.php?m=services.transppl.schedulkiev&lng=uk
(Look up the train number on the first site, then find that train number in the drop down menu at top center at the second site to get the prices.)

Luggage/Food/Safety
- Luggage weighting up to 35 kg (80 lbs) is included in the ticket tariff. If you have more luggage you can buy an additional ticket and have permission for 70 kg (160lbs) of the luggage. For transferring bulky objects, baggage carriages are used.

- Food: The majority of trains have dining or buffet cars, which serve alcohol and soft drinks, water, snacks and some cooked meals. It is a good idea to take some food with you: bottled water, snacks, canned meat or fish, vegetables and fruits, cereal and packed milk, anything that will not spoil if stored in a room temperature and you can live on for the length of your trip. There is no cooler in carriages, so packed food is the best. The same applies if eating at a train restaurant.

- Getting food from train station vendors may not safe, no matter how delicious it looks. Fruits and vegetables are exception. Just wash them properly. Peaches, tomatoes, watermelons, apples, grapes and all grown on Ukrainian soil is just irresistible.

- Security: Traveling by train is as secure as the other transportation options if you follow some simple tips:
1. Keep money, documents and valuables on yourself.
2. Do not leave your cabin for a long time.
3. Keep all your luggage in special boxes under lower berths.
4. Do not leave your luggage with strangers. The luggage can be placed in your cabin or stored in a luggage-car.
5. Lock the cabin door during the night time.
6. Use caution about accepting food and alcohol from unknown passengers (although in many cases this can be one of the best experiences about traveling on a Russian train).

RUA feature on Russian trains: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,3320.msg37571.html#msg37571

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 08:00:15 AM »
Translation: Language and Communication issues

- Take a good Russian basic language workbook.  People in the train will be thrilled to tutor you and nothing beats the experience of learning a language as you travel in that language.  You'll grasp concepts/words/phrases in days that would have taken weeks/months back home.  Most importantly as you 'live' in a language you'll learn how to speak what you learn correctly. (Best because of it's material and the manageable size: "Learn Russian the Fast and Fun Way" which you can find on Amazon and other places easily.)

- A notebook/journal to write down important reminders, contacts, travel schedules, etc.

BCKev has a important recommendation:
- English/Russian dictionary - BC reccommends a "mini-Oxford", good dictionary and easy to carry everywhere you go. Poor dictionaries are a big frustration. http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Russian-Minidictionary-Dictionary-Thompson/dp/0198614578

Member MSB01 suggests this Moscow translator:
- When you want a very professional guide and translator in and around Moscow feel free to contact Ludmila Barzenkova: lucybar@online.ru

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 08:06:01 AM »
Gifts

- Make certain to have gifts from your country for each family member.  Being from Arizona, I've taken items from both the US and Mexico (small cigars/little sample bottles of Spanish liquor/postcards) for her family.  If relatives or friends come to her home to meet you, you should have something for every person, including children--packs of gum, Mexican candy, etc will be fine for the kids.

- Near her home make sure to have flowers for her mother, something nice for her, and either chocolates or alcohol for her Dad.

Electricity

Everywhere in Russia/Ukraine/FSU, 220 Volt and 50 Hz AC current supplies are used. Most of the sockets are standard European-size for double round-pin plugs, the same as in France or Germany. Appliances from the US, Canada, Britain will need adaptors (it’s better to buy them in your own country, as it’s very hard to find them in Russia). If looking in places like Walmart, Staples or Radio Shack, look for the "Northern European" style which has two round pins.

Power cuts are not very common, but the electricity current is not of the quality as in Europe (power surges), so if you have a sensitive device it’s better to get an adaptor for it, especially if you are traveling.

Most trains have electricity sockets where you can charge your mobile telephones or plug in a razor, but it is not recommended to use them for sensitive devices (such as laptops) without an adaptor.

Clothing and Shoes

From member MSB01:
Regarding SHOES!
For inside the house/flat bring a good quality proper sized pair of slippers and a carry bag.  Thus you will be more comfortable when both in your own flat/hotel room or when invited out to visit her flat, friend and/or family.

If like myself you have wide or larger feet you may find any slippers supplied by your lady very tiny or uncomfortable.  Even when we visit RW/Cdn friends here and or on visits to the FSU we generally take along a pair of our own slippers.  After all we know where we have been and can later wash/clean them to our own standards.

Also if visiting friends for a party or large family gathering there may not be enough slippers to go around.  Bringing your own ensures a nice warm feeling and not having to go around in sock feet and the like too.

Hint this shows you really are concerned for your own health and the well being of your hosts home.  So never leave home without your SLIPPERS!!!

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 08:10:17 AM »
Finding a doctor/Medications

Emergencies-- For fire, dial 01; police 02; ambulance 03.

- Don't forget an assortment of cold/flu medicines. 

- This is a 'timid' topic, but here goes:  There is a big difference in what is inside the food between east and west.  Because of preservatives and processing in the west your first trip to Russia may hit your body like a freight train when it comes to live cultures inside the food.  The introduction of such live activity in your system will speed up the body's digestion processes, and sometimes to the point that you may have to deal with diarrhea.  Take some tablets or small medications just in case--as the chances are fairly good.

- For treating diarrhea, one can dissolve two or three small crystals of марганцовка (potassium permanganate) in a half liter of water to produce a dark pink, but not violet, solution. One glass is drank in the morning and another at night.

RUA Moderator Manny says:
- Diarrhea tablets from back home, I always carry a pack. I never thought to mention it. (A banana or two does a similar job too.)

- About pharmaceuticals generally: Take anything you envisage you may need with you, expect anything you may need to buy may be fake. You may not need them, but you will be damn glad you have products you recognise if you do.

RUA member Donhollio says: 
- Label all medications in case you are asked to identify them at customs, etc.

From Mirror, one of our valuable RW members:
- After reading few travel reports I suggest to take some medicines for your weak stomach and medicines for high temperature.

- I know that many foreigners don't trust russian medicines so take your own medicines.

Moscow Emergency Care Centers:
- European Medical Center 
Spiridonevsky Per. 5   Moscow 103104, Russia
Tel: + 7 95 933 6655    Fax: + 7 95 933 6650

Hospitals/Doctors/Clinics in Russia

- Moscow: American Medical Clinic - open 24 hours
26, build. 6, Prospekt Mira (entrance from Grokholsky Pereulok)
Phone: (495) 933-77-00   
Fax: (495) 933-77-01

- Moscow: European Medical Centre Group
The EMC group is constituted of three distinct medical centers: The European Medical Center (EMC), the European Dental Center (EDC), and the Department of Assisted Fertility. All three centers are located in the heart of the city, close to each other, making it convenient for our patients, and physicians alike, to rotate between centers depending on their needs.  Address: SPpiridonyevsy per. 5, bld. 1 | Phone: +7 (495) 933-6655    http://www.emcmos.ru/about-e.cfm

- Moscow: Medicentre
Our physicians keep to early diagnostics of illness symptoms, prophylactic measures. They use the modern types of diagnostics and the most efficient equipment.  Address: 4-th Dobrininsky lane, 4 | Phone: +7 (495) 236-3116 http://www.medin.ru/indexeng.htm 

- St Petersburg: American Medical Clinic
American Medical Center (AMC)
Medical Helpline: +7 (812) 740 20 90  (24 hours)
Address: 78 Moika embankment,
Saint Petersburg, 190000, Russia
E-Mail: info@amclinic.ru     Fax: +7 (812) 310-4664

- The International Clinic
Griffin House   19/21 Dostoevskogo Street   St. Petersburg 121014, Russia
Tel: + 7 812 320 3870    Fax: + 7 812 320 3871

- International SOS Clinic Yuuzhno
Sakhalin, Russia  Tel: + 7 8 4242 727 550    Fax: + 7 8 4242 473 650

- Canadian Medical Centre
Suite 402 Venetzia Hotel  Nizhnevartovsk 626440    Tyumen Region, Russia
Tel: + 7 3466 65 39 86

- Vladivostok Regional Hospital #1
Ul. Aleutskaya, 57 Vladivostok, 690000

- Pskov Oblast Central Hospital
Ul. Maliasova, 2 Pskov, 180640

- Ryazan Oblast Central Hospital
Ul. Internatsionalnaya, 3A Ryazan, 390039

- Samara Hospital “Vodnikov”
48 Stepana Razina str., Samara 443042 Russia Ph: +8 846 221 2320 / 33 Fax: +8 846 221 2312
E-mail: cbbsvrb@samtel.ru

St Petersburg: Emergency Care Centers (24 hours)
    Vasilievsky Island 51; tel: 323-09-84;
    ul. Gzhatskaya 3; tel: 534-47-39;
    ul. Komsomola 14; tel: 542-31-54;
    pr. Prosveshcheniya 53, block 2; tel: 558-27-56;
    ul. Kosinova 17; tel: 186-44-30;
    pr. Shaumyana 51; tel: 444-23-32;
    ul. Otvazhnikh 8; tel: 135-19-80;
    Moskovsky pr 87; tel: 298-45-96;
    pr. Kosmonavtov 35; tel: 299-03-28;
    ul. Novoselov 45; tel: 446-19-78;
    ul. Lva Tolstogo 6/8; tel: 234-57-72;
    ul generala Khruleva 7a; tel: 393-77-82;
    Malaya Konyushennaya ul. 2; tel: 311-43-96;
    ul Pravdy 18; tel: 315-21-58;
    Kavalergardskaya ul. 26; tel: 274-76-55;
    Budapeshtskaya ul. 3; tel: 109-61-30.
    The main first-aid point is at: Liteyny pr. 25; tel: 272-59-55

Hospitals/Doctors/Clinics in Ukraine

- Kiev American Medical Clinic
Address: 1, Berdychivska Street, 04116 Kiev, Ukraine
Phone: +38 (044) 490 7600    Emergency +38 (044) 490 7600         
Fax: +38 (044) 490 7600 

- Kiev Emergency Care Centers
Alfa-Vita
13/19 Nesterovsky Prov.
www.alfavita.com.ua

Tel 490-76-00
Biofarmtech
30 Heroyiv Sevastopolya Vul.
www.biofarm.kiev.ua

Tel 408-23-55
Boris
55a Chervonoarmiyska Vul.
www.boris.kiev.ua

Tel 238-00-00
Center of European Medicine
18a Shovkovychna Vul. #2
www.sokruta.com

Tel 253-82-19
Clinic of Efferent Therapy
32 Popudrenka St.
www.efferent.kiev.ua

Tel 574-10-88 (telephone and fax)
Dobrobut
10 Pymonenka Vul.
www.med.dobrobut.com

Tel 451-50-60
Life Medical
68/28 Saksahaskoho Vul., #36

Tel 212-1148
Medicom
8 Kondratyuka Vul.

Tel 432-88-88
Medinar
100 Saksahanskoho Vul.

Tel 220-57-53
St. Luke Medical Center
16/2 Tychyny Posp.
www.medcenter.com.ua

Tel 554-22-90
Ukrainian Medical Group
8/5 Honchara Vul.
www.gumg.kiev.ua

- Kiev Dental associated with American Medical Clinic
Киев, Украина,01033   ул. Жилянская, 30-А,
тel.  +38 044 569 5910, +38 044 569 5909       
map:

- Ukraine Hospitals in cities outside Kiev:
REGIONAL CLINIC HOSPITALS:
Chernihiv Oblast Clinic Hospital
Volkovycha Street, 25
14029, Chernihiv
tel.: (0462) 25-3020

Lvov Oblast Clinic Hospital
Chernihivska Street, 7
79010, Lvov
tel.: (0322) 79-6290

Kirovohrad Oblast Clinic Hospital
Prospect Universitetsky, 2/5
25030, Kirovohrad
tel.: (0522) 55-1305

Chernivtsi Oblast Clinic Hospital
Holovna Street, 137
58001, Chernivtsi
tel.: (0372) 51-4753

Mykolayiv Oblast Clinic Hospital
Kievska Street, 1
54847, Mykolayiv
tel.: (0512) 41-7979

Kiev Oblast Clinic Hospital
Baggovutivska Street, 1
04007, Kiev
tel.: (044) 483-1761

Dnipropetrovsk Oblast Clinic Hospital
Zhovtneva Square, 14
49000, Dnipropetrovsk
tel.: (0562) 46-5481

Odesa Oblast Clinic Hospital
Zabolotnoho Street, 26
65025, Odesa
tel.: (0482) 55-0101

Donetsk Oblast Clinic Hospital
Prospect Illicha, 14
83099, Donetsk
tel.: (0622) 95-4148

Poltava Oblast Clinic Hospital
Shevchenka Street, 23
36011, Poltava
tel.: (0532) 27-2305

Lugansk Oblast Clinic Hospital
Kvartal 50 Rokiv Oborony Luganska, 14
91045, Lugansk
tel.: (0642) 53-2058

Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast Clinic Hospital
Fedkovycha Street, 91
76009, Ivano-Frankivsk
tel.: (0342) 52-8049

Rivne Oblast Clinic Hospital
Kiyvska Street, 78-G
33027, Rivne
tel.: (0362) 28-1910

Volyn Oblast Clinic Hospital
Prospect Hrushevskogo, 21
43005, Lutsk
tel.: (0332) 23-0115

Kharkov Oblast Clinic Hospital
Prospect Pravdy, 13
61022, Kharkov
tel.: (057) 705-0187

Sumy Oblast Clinic Hospital
Dzerzhynskogo, 48
40022, Sumy
tel.: (0542) 25-0057

Zakarpattia Oblast Clinic Hospital
Kapushanska Street, 22
88018, Uzhgorod
tel.: (0312) 23-2239

Kherson Oblast Clinic Hospital
Ushakova Street, 67
73022, Kherson
tel.: (0552) 42-3573

Ternopil Oblast Clinic Hospital
Klinichna Street, 1
46002, Ternopil
tel.: (0352) 52-5803

Zaporozhye Oblast Clinic Hospital
Orikhivske Shosse, 10
69103, Zaporozhye
tel.: (0612) 95-2131

Khmelnitsky Oblast Clinic Hospital
Pilotska Street, 1
29010, Khmelnitsky
tel.: (0382) 26-0055

Vinnitsya Oblast Clinic Hospital
Pyrohova Street, 44
21100, Vinnitsya
tel.: (0432) 32-2711

Zhytomyr Oblast Clinic Hospital
Chervonogo Kresta Street, 3
10002, Zhytomir
tel.: (0412) 37-0459

Medical Insurance requirements

- Ukraine Insurance requirements
Ukraine requires all visitors to Ukraine to obtain mandatory health insurance from the state joint-stock insurance company Ukrinmedstrach at their point of entry into Ukraine. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has advised the embassy that holders of official or diplomatic passports are exempt from this requirement.

The cost of medical insurance, according to information from Ukrainian authorities, does not depend on the term of validity, or type of, visa but on the length of a foreigner’s stay in Ukraine. The cost for the insurance is: from 1 to 5 days – approx. $2, for 30 days – $12, from 181 to 210 days - 334 $60, from 331 to 365 days - $95.

Helpful Medical Lingo
It may be necessary to сходить к врачу (to go to see the doctor). In a кабинет врача (doctor's office) the пациент (patient) is usually first posed with the question "На что жалуетесь?" ("What is bothering you?") The patient can say "Я плохо себя чувствую," ("I am not feeling well"), and then elaborate – "У меня болит голова/живот/зуб/горло" ("I have a headache/stomachache/toothache/sore throat,") or "У меня сильная простуда" ("I have a bad cold") or say, "У меня расстройство желудка и диарея" ("I have an upset stomach and diarrhea").

The doctor will осмотрит больного (examine the sick person) and will usually выпишет лекарства/терапию (prescribe some medicine/treatment).  От головной боли (for headaches), the doctor can prescribe анальгетики (painkillers). Сбить температуру (to bring down a fever), аспирин (aspirin) is often prescribed. Russian doctors often treat things with витамины (vitamins) too.

Medicine often has to be taken до еды (before meals) or после еды (after meals). Most medicine is regimented as well, for example, по одной таблетке три раза в день (one tablet three times a day).

If a person has грипп (the flu), he/she can be recommended to try продаваемые без рецепта (over-the-counter medications) such as парацетамол (Paracetamol) and other противопростудные препараты (anti cold medications), such as колдрекс (Coldrex).

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 08:13:25 AM »
Travel: Proper documents/Visa Registration/Passport-Embassy/Customs info

- Registering your Russian Visa: http://www.waytorussia.net/RussianVisa/Registration.html

RUA Travel Moderator Chris reminds us:
- Scan all your travel docs, passport etc and email them to yourself, put them in a folder in your email account then if you need copies you can just download them at an internet cafe and print them off.

RUA member Donhollio offers several great suggestions:
- Get a price on the taxi before entering.

- Write down the place you are staying at. Phone numbers of the hotel/landlord and the address in both English and Russian. Again you can just hand the Russian info to the taxi driver,and he will hopefully know where to go.
I have been "dropped off " in the wrong spot before,blocks from where I wanted to go. But hey ,again it's all about adventure.

- You shouldn't hop into gypsy cabs at night. I always have and as long as he is alone,you are alright.

- Carry your passport on you at all times

- Buy a cell phone and package ($75USD)that will work in the country/s you will be visiting.

Visa to Ukraine
Citizens of the United States, European Union, Swiss Confederation, Liechtenstein, Canada, and Japan DO NOT need visas for entering Ukraine anymore. The rule is valid for short term visits, up to 90 days.

Embassy Info-Russia
Embassies-- All embassies are located in Moscow, the capital, with consulates for several countries in St. Petersburg as well.

United States: 19/23 Novinsky Bulvar; tel. 095/256-4261

Britain: 10 Smolenskaya Naberezhnaya; tel. 095/956-7301

Canada: 23 Starokonyushenniy Pereulok; tel. 095/956-6666

Australia: 13 Kropotkinskiy Pereulok; tel. 095/956-6070

Ireland: 5 Grokholsky Pereulok; tel. 095/288-4101

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 08:19:40 AM »
Using the telephone in Russia/Ukraine

To call from your country to Russia:
- Dial 011, the international access code.
- Dial 7, the Russian country code.
- Dial the city code and the remaining digits.
(011 + 7 + City Code+ Tel #)

To call from city to city within Russia:
- First dial 8, then wait for a tone.
- Then dial the city code and the number.

To call within the same Russian city:
- Just dial the 7-digit number. Local calls are free.

For directory assistance: Dial 07 if you're looking for a number inside Russia, but only if you speak Russian.

Russia City and country codes
+7 401  Kaliningrad
+7 471  Kursk
+7 472  Belgorod
+7 473  Voronezh
+7 474  Lipetsk
+7 475  Tambov
+7 481  Smolensk
+7 482  Tver
+7 483  Bryansk
+7 484  Kaluga
+7 485  Yaroslavl
+7 486  Orel (Oryol, Orlovsk)
+7 487  Tula (Tulsk)
+7 491  Ryazan
+7 492  Vladimir
+7 493  Ivanovo
+7 494  Kostroma
+7 495  Moscow  
+7 496  Moscow region

More Russian city codes here: http://www.howtocallabroad.com/russia/

If you need operator assistance in making an international call, dial 8, then wait for a tone, then dial 194. If you need help calling a number in Russia, dial 08, but few operators speak English.

Toll-free numbers: You cannot phone a 1-800 number in the States from Russia or Ukraine, so be sure to have standard toll numbers for all your credit card companies and travel agencies before you leave.

To call from your country to Ukraine:
- Dial 011, the international access code.
- Dial 380, the Ukrainian country code.
- Dial the city code and the remaining digits.
(011 + 380 + City Code+ Tel #)

Member Khersonrent says...
for dailing local Ukrainian cell phones and city phones
(if you are in Ukraine, not from abroad) dont use 8

for example, my cell phone is [old dialing in Ukraine] 8 050 868 72 40
new dialing - 050 868 72 40.

Ukraine country and city codes
Dnipropetrovsk  56
Donetsk             62
Kharkov               57
Kiev                    44
Lvov                   32
Odessa              48
Sevastopol         69
Simferopol          65
Yalta                   65

380 is the country code.  Dial it only when outside of Ukraine.

Public telephones operate only for calls within the city. They work with the aid of a phone card, which is available for purchase at every post office and most newspaper kiosks.  

Long distance phone services are operated by Utel (Ukrainian Telecommunications).

To make an international call from Ukraine:
- First dial 8.
- On hearing a second dial tone, proceed with 10, then the country code, area code and phone number.

For inter-city calls inside Ukraine, simply dial 8, wait for a second dial tone, then proceed with the city code and number.  

2 Tall Bill says:
If your RW wants to send a sms / text message to your phone for free she can do this from her computer

The major US cellular carriers use the 10_digit_number@cell.carrier_domain.com format for SMS to text capable cell phones, with a limit of 160 characters in the subject and message body (total).

use your 10 digit phone number : 555 555 5555

Carrier    Send Email to phonenumber@....
Alltel    @message.alltel.com
AT&T    @mms.att.net
Nextel    @messaging.nextel.com
Sprint    @messaging.sprintpcs.com
SunCom    @tms.suncom.com
T-mobile    @tmomail.net
VoiceStream    @voicestream.net
Verizon    @vtext.com (text only)
@vzwpix.com (pictures and videos)

General suggestions and Helpful links

RUA member Corp has a good idea:
- Always put a change of clothes in your carry-on bag.

BCKev has some good ideas, including:
- Pen in your carry on luggage - to fill out customs/immigration forms - saves time in line ups.

-Names, address and phone numbers of the people you are visiting and where you will be staying.

Check out these links before you travel.

- Good online magazine about travel to FSU: http://www.passportmagazine.ru/433/

- Things and places to do/see while in Moscow: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,3320.msg38917.html#msg38917
The Moscow info lasts for 2 pages and include info on how to ride the bus and the Metro trains, page 1 at the beginning of the thread has info on riding the large railway trains.

- RUA guide to Russia travel: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=244.0

From 2 Tall Bill:
While in the FSU Look out for..........

1. Watch out for cars, even on the side walk.
2. Don't step on man hole covers sometimes they will drop
3. Look where you are walking there are often sudden pot holes etc
4. Carry a flashlight because hazards might be invisible if you don't
5. In the winter don't go outside without Hat, gloves and scarf.
6. When in Rome..........When in the FSU (same rule applies)..........
7. When arriving as a guest bring don't come empty handed bring
something with you  (a cake is a good general purpose thing to bring)
8. Keep your wallet in your front pocket.

Emergency phones in Moscow
Emergency calls:
Fire brigade : 01
Police: 02
Ambulance: 03
Rescue Service: 937-9911

Household Gas Maintenance Service: 04
Road Services: 310-2101, 474-0022
Information about patients in the hospitals: 956-3356, 234-1831
Information about incidents: 284-3139
Information about lost children: 401-9982
Information about lost documents: 200-9957
Information about belongings lost in the metro: 222-2085, in ground transport: 923-8753

Moscow Special services:
Long distance calls: 07
International calls: 8-190
International calls order: 8-194
Telephones in other cities (paid service): 007
International Post Office: 114-4801
Exact Time information: 100
Taxi Order: 927-0000
International SOS Assistance: 937-6477
American Medical Centre: 933-7700
European Medical Centre: 956-7999

Moscow General Info:
Moscow Info (Mo-Fr 9AM-6PM): 009 "1000 Services" Centre: 392-7500; 392-7511

Moscow Airport Info:
Sheremetevo II Airport: 578-7816
International Airlines: 156-8019
Domestic Airlines: 156-0922
Domodedovo Airport: 155-0922
Vnukovo Airport: 436-8411
Train Info (8AM-8PM): 266-9333
Visa Registration:
Ministry of Foreign Affairs: 244-1606; 2442459
OVIR: 200-8427

Emergency phones in St. Petersburg
Fire brigade : 01
Police: 02
Ambulance: 03

Household Gas Maintenance Service: 04
Long distance Telephone Directory Service: 07
Automatic Time Announcer: 08
Municipal Telephone Directory Service: 09
Mobile Car Breakdown Assistant: 001
Ads and Information: 008
Information Service "REKLAMA-DUBL": 050
City Payphone Directory: 059
Address Directory for St. Petersburg and the Region: 061
Directions within city: 063
Financial Counseling: 064
Legal Counseling: 065
Order-Now-Pay-Later Cabel: 066
Confidential AIDS screening 259-94-05
Veterinary assistance 527-83-96
Nighttime pharmacy (9 p.m. to 8 a.m.) 311-20-77
Traffic accidents 234-79-90
Information on individuals picked up by ambulance 278-00-55
International automatic telephone exchange directory 274-93-83
Lost and found service 278-36-90

Emergency numbers in Ukraine
For fire, dial 101; police 102; ambulance 103, gas service - 104.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 03:25:56 PM »

RUA member TwoBitBandit suggests:
- Make sure your dollar/euro bills are clean and crisp.  Bills with missing corners, tears, staple holes, ink of any kind, excessively worn in the middle, etc won't be accepted for exchange.  On my first trip to Russia, I didn't realize this and almost half of my bills could not be exchanged.

actually in my experience you do have this problem only with those currency exchange places. A bank will usually exchange them since they have  a better system to check the money. They probably will give you a rate that isn't as good or charge an additional fee for "bad bills".

Offline Manny

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 03:40:34 PM »
My experience in Russia is that they will usually change them at a lesser rate, only rejecting the very damaged ones altogether. But who wants a lesser rate?

In Poland I found they don't care - money is money. But they see a lot of English cash there. In the Baltic states, they are not as keen as Russia but will reject the odd bad one.

Many banks I have seen have "Euro checking" machines that they feed the larger 500 Euro notes through that checks they are genuine. As each 500 Euro note is worth $670 or £390, you can see why they check those more carefully.

Brits should be aware at the moment (2008) that the older type of £20 note may be rejected - only take the newer type. Likewise for UKers, Scottish and Northern Irish notes - although Sterling - will cause much querying, examination and staff looking in books, etc.; stick to mainland notes unless you want to be there two hours.

Also, there are no silly "money laundering" rules in most of the FSU like in Europe and probably the US. If you roll up with $50k in a carrier bag, nobody will bat an eyelid - you may be shown to a private room in a bank if toting a lot of money.

In summary - nice, crisp, new notes will make for fewer problems anywhere in the FSU. Old, dog-eared, torn, tatty notes or ones with bank stamps or writing on will only cause you problems.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 07:23:44 AM »

- Little tissue (kleenex, etc) packets are a godsend: to use for colds, napkins, toilet tissue, etc.  Take a packet for each day in Russia.

- Wet tissues \ "antiseptic" or something like that \ any cheap kind \ to wipe things you'll touch in the train (cabin table, door handle, lamp switch, etc.) and \ or your tray table in the Russian plane;

- Wet tissues \ "for intimate hygiene" \ to be used in trains, airports, etc. - as the dry kleenex doesn't always help to prevent skin irritation after your body has reacted to a "live" Russian food;

- Hand cleansing gel ("Arnica essentiel" from Yves Rocher highly recommended; the most popular brand in Russia is somehow "Sanitelle", but it dries skin a lot) - to wipe your hands before eating, after eating greazy food (or that grilled chicken you've bought from the babushka at the station) if you ran out of kleenexes, and after typing a mail back home from the internet cafe in Dumpsk;

- Any travel, especially in trains: some "money-hiding"... erm... pockets? you can fix around ankle and hide under socks & trousers.

- Train \ summer travels: some (maybe alcohol-containing) facial lotion to wipe off the dust and train soot off your face (if you can't use the train toilet because you woke up 5 minutes before arrival and\or if you're afraid the contact of the train water with your skin will lead to spots you weren't having since your teenage years...);

- Winter travel: very oily facial creeme \ milk, to protect your face skin from the freezing air, wind, snow, etc. NOTE: it has to be made in a country which actually has a winter (Sweden - "Oriflame", "Neutrogena"; Germany - "Nivea"). If you can find some specific creme for skiers - that's even better. Same applies to a transparent lipstick.
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline mirror

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 07:49:46 AM »
After reading few travel reports I suggest to take some medicines for your weak stomach and  medicines against a high temperature (maybe  Talenole how you call it there ).
I know that many foreigners don't trust russian medicines so take your own medicines  with yourself.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 07:42:36 PM »
Olga and Mirror, these are excellent!  Thank you and we'll also add them into the catagories.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 07:22:31 AM »
you also might want to know that antibiotics in Russia are sold over the counter and you don't need to go see a doctor to get a prescription. This could save you a lot of time and money. Just go to a pharmacy and tell a pharmacist what's bothering you, they will suggest the medication and sell it to you right there. The only cold medication that really works well for me and I haven't seen sold in Russia/Ukraine is Comtrex. I always have it with me when going there in the winter. Everything else (and more) you can get there at any pharmacy.

Offline mirror

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 08:11:49 AM »
I haven't seen sold in Russia/Ukraine is Comtrex. I always have it with me when going there in the winter. Everything else (and more) you can get there at any pharmacy.

We have Coldrex here...it is same medicine.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 09:10:40 AM »
It works well but we should warn travelers that it's pretty potent stuff. The combination of alcohol and an aspirin formulatin in колдрекс (Coldrex) can put a person to sleep for 6-8 hours and leave one drowsy for another 12+ hours after waking.

The logo above is a good illustration why the RUA language threads teach the importance of learning the cursive as well as printed Cyrillic.  That brand label reads as follows: K O L D R E K C (coldrex) N A I T (night).

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 10:02:34 PM »
The Travel team has added a lot of new info, from address/phone to regional hospitals and clinics to instructions on how to use a telephone when in Russia or Ukraine.

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 08:53:55 AM »
High Speed Trains:
In Ukraine there are daily high speed trains between Kiev and Dnepropetrovsk.  Also between Kiev and Kharkov.  Now there are likely many others perhaps even to the south towards the Crimea.  Lubov also has such a line my wife just informed me.  (Lora was a member of the Media invited on the first trip between Dnepropetrovsk and Kiev, back when these trains first began running a few years ago.)

These are very modern much like what we have in North America or Western Europe.  Coaches are either open aisle or with compartments for 3 or 6 passengers.  Attendants stroll the aisles with sandwiches and snacks.  TV's are in evey coach and/or compartment showing old movies and videos about the construction and services on Rail Ukraine, etc.

These trains run during the daytime, thus no sleeper compartments as on the older overnight trains many of us have travelled on.

Washrooms are modern and equipped for those with disabilities.  Also very clean and spacious by comparison to the older models too.

This is a great way to ride between major cities in Ukraine.  Very comfortable and speedy by local rail standards.  About 6 hours between Kiev and Dnepropetrovsk with 2 trains each direction every day.

I think there are some similar services in Russia.  Likely between Moscow and Saint Petersburg, but I have not been on those so will leave that for others to report on.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 10:49:53 AM »

I think there are some similar services in Russia. 

Likely between Moscow and Saint Petersburg, but I have not been on those so will leave that for others to report on.

#024 "Youth" 12:30 - 19:22

#160 "Aurora" 16:30 - 22:00

http://press.rzd.ru/wps/portal/press?STRUCTURE_ID=1035

#166 "Nevsky Express" 18:30 - 23:00
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2008, 07:24:12 AM »
Ms Mouse,  you make me long for the days of elegant train travel.

For the rest of you, check out some of the other trains listed on the column on the left side of the page.  :)

Offline dispozo

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 07:41:03 PM »
When I was in Myrnyi (on the west coast of Crimea) in the summer. I saw many men wearing shorts and sandals. I think if your going to the Black Sea shorts and sandals are fine.

I will also say that board short swim wear is becoming more popular. But I still not a popular as speedos.