The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Learn Russian from music!  (Read 25002 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Learn Russian from music!
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 10:00:17 PM »
How to say, "I'm Sorry"

There may be days when it becomes necessary to ask forgiveness from your lady.  A common way to say "I'm Sorry" is to ask her to forgive you.  One word carries that idea: Прости, the word for "forgive" (Pra-STEE).

This word is a shorter form of Простите (Pra STEE-tye) and if you can say that one, your lady will be even happier!

Orthodox Easter observes a 40 day fast which begins on "Forgiveness Sunday," and don't be surprised, even if you lady is only nominally Orthodox, if on that day she asks for your forgiveness for anything she might have done to offend you.  You should do the same.

In this song the word is very clearly presented:
In this video the word is both spoken and sung:

Чай Вдовем - Прости

Прости,
Конечно, в чём-то ты
Была права,
И не найти мне нужные
Слова,
Я всё решил
И кругом голова.
Прости,
Давай негромко,
Чтоб не разбудить,
Я знаю точно,
Будут нас винить
За то, что мы не можем
Вместе быть,
С тобою быть.

Жизнь разбита пополам,
Хрупкое стекло.
Для решения ошибок
Время истекло.
И никто не знает,
Что там будет впереди.
Я надеюсь, будешь старше
Ты меня поймёшь,
Но впиваются слова,
Будто в сердце нож -
Папа, прошу тебя,
Не уходи.

Жизнь разбита пополам,
Хрупкое стекло.
Для решения ошибок
Время истекло.
И никто не знает,
Что там будет впереди.
Я надеюсь, будешь старше
Ты меня поймёшь,
Но впиваются слова,
Будто в сердце нож -
Папа, прошу тебя,
Не уходи.

Скажи,
Надеюсь мне позволишь
Навещать,
Я буду очень часто
Приезжать,
О ссоре мы не будем
Вспоминать.
Скажи,
А можно попрошу я
Об одном,
Когда другой
Откроет двери в дом,
Пусть не зовут они
Его отцом,
Своим отцом.

Жизнь разбита пополам,
Хрупкое стекло.
Для решения ошибок
Время истекло.
И никто не знает,
Что там будет впереди.
Я надеюсь, будешь старше
Ты меня поймёшь,
Но впиваются слова,
Будто в сердце нож -
Папа, прошу тебя,
Не уходи.

Жизнь разбита пополам,
Хрупкое стекло.
Для решения ошибок
Время истекло.
И никто не знает,
Что там будет впереди.
Я надеюсь, будешь старше
Ты меня поймёшь,
Но впиваются слова,
Будто в сердце нож -
Папа, прошу тебя,
Не уходи. 

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 10:45:10 PM »
Любимая Моя

There is a special way to call your lady "Sweetheart" and it goes like this Любимая Моя. We'll learn this phrase and then give you an additional option on how to use it.  This one is easy.  And the first song you'll hear makes it so plain that you can't miss getting it quickly!

Любимая Моя is rare because it's not meant to be pronounced fast.  It is to be spoken slowly, savoured like a fine wine.  "Lu-be-mah-ya  Ma-yah."  That's it! 

Now listen and practice saying it slowly.  You lady will love it!

Depending on context you are saying "Love of mine" or "favourite love of mine" but it is understood in the place of the English idea of "sweetheart."  Now you can also drop the last "Ma-yah"  and simply go with "Lu-be-mah-ya" in some instances as it carries the same idea.  My wife likes both but prefers the whole phrase, she claims its more romantic.

Now here is one more twist and like the original, this one is easy too!

Самая любимая "Sah-mah-ya  Lu-be-mah-ya" means "The most favourite love."
Listen to see how amazingly easy this one is too:
Have fun, impress her on your next telephone conversation.   :)

Offline mobyone

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: UK
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 01:09:07 AM »
Mendy, I like what you post, but can I add a "health warning"?! ;)

.. Please guys don't use this expression unless you MEAN it...

Mendy, rightly points out that it can "impress", but it is a VERY strong expression of feelings and if you are just saying it to impress you may drive away a lady you want or be hurting a lady you chat to to boost her ego..

I reckon this expression is akin to the old English expression "Beloved"..

Use it wisely.... Personally, I wouldn't use it for the first time on the phone, and ESPECIALLY not for a lady I hadn't met , yet.... 

IMHO this is an expression to use if you *mean* it and face to face..

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 07:57:26 PM »
Good observation!  I concur and what was meant in the telephone example, and for which I also failed to caution, is exactly as Msmoby expressed--it means something and if you are writing more than one lady, have never met face to face, or have met but are not sure if she is the "one," then it would be cruel to play with a lady's feelings.

But, on the other hand, it you have passed the above tests, then keep learning!

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 08:50:21 PM »
Спасибо за любовь

My father taught me that the way to a woman's heart was first by listening, and then by genuine compliments.  As you and your lady enter an appropiate stage in your relationship you may wish to thank your lady for the love you have in your life with this phrase, "spa-see-ba  za  lu-bofh" (Спасибо за любовь).  Hang on for a moment because we're going to refine the way you speak this phrase.

For those of you learning the Cyrillic alphabet and it's phonetic sounds, you've noticed that the last word, любовь, ends with a B (veh).  A soft sign (ь) at the end of a word is is not considered the last "letter."  So why do I teach you to say "lu-bofh" instead of "lu bovh?"  It's a grammar rule and without an extended explanation, at the end of a word a B (veh) is always spoken as it's "counterpart" which is an ф "efh."

Just remember that the soft sign remains with the new sound so make sure that you soften the "efh."

And since "for" (за or "za") is a preposition, it is not spoken separately.  The correct method is to make it part of the next word.  Just jam it all together like this:  zalu-bofh.

So let's practice the phrase, "spa-see-ba  zalu-bofh." Спасибо за любовь, thanks for love!

The best way to learn is to hear it pronounced as performed by Irina Ponarovskaya is a slow and easy song making it easier to catch this phrase.

Offline mobyone

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: UK
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 05:52:27 AM »
Спасибо за любовь

My father taught me that the way to a woman's heart was first by listening, and then by genuine compliments.  As you and your lady enter an appropiate stage in your relationship you may wish to thank your lady for the love you have in your life with this phrase, "spa-see-ba  za  lu-bofh" (Спасибо за любовь).  Hang on for a moment because we're going to refine the way you speak this phrase.

Thanks, for this Mendy, just tried this out on Veta - got a BIG smile and a hug.. ;)

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 07:52:56 PM »
Very cool, Mark!   :)

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2009, 05:00:53 PM »
Tracking along with the Lyrics

This is your chance to see how closely you can form words and sing along with the music.  It's a great exercise.

This song is "Angel" by the Kazakhstan group A-Studio (А-Студио):

Где-то за городом небо над озером, синьку льёт
Солнечный заяц в луже купается, зорьку пьет
Голубь серебряный крошки клюет на моем окне,
Но сердце спит моё

Шарф кашемировый, ночь, полнолуние стелет вновь
Ночью особенно верю в гадание и любовь
Веткой еловую машет заманчево рождество
Но сердце спит моё
Услышь меня,

Хранитель ангел ты со мной
Я знаю где-то за спиной
Ты научи меня опять мечтать

Пальцы любимого тихим движением гасят свет
В нежных объятиях тает и плавится слово "нет"
Белой скульптурою тело на простыни замерло,
Но сердце спит моё

Яркой обложкой, глянцевым фото смеюсь себе
Всё, что желаю случается скоро в моей в судьбе
Новые встречи и расставания дарят день
Но сердце спит моё,
Услышь меня,

Я знаю где-то за спиной

Я знаю где-то за спиной

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 10:21:22 AM »
Here is another beautiful Russian song which is presented in a way to allow us to use the lyrics on the screen to practice reading and speaking. Those of you who sing or play music might view this as sort of a "sight read" opportunity. 

Even if you don't recognize a single word, over a 3 day period try singing (or speaking) along 5 times each day. Do it in the evening so if the neighborhood dogs start howling you won't get into too much trouble.  :chuckle:

Don't worry about understanding, the vocal and phonetic exercise is what you want to see advanced. I guarantee that at the end of 3 day (thats 15 times) you'll be amazed at your progress in recognizing certain words and more importantly how certain letter combinations sound together!

Here ya go:

ПРОСТИТЬСЯ is a form of "sorry" or "fogive me" (простите) and in this context means "forgive me for leaving."

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2009, 12:09:14 PM »
Вспоминай is a simple word in Russian but will take just a bit of thought for us to understand it correctly.

It is both "Everything" and "Remember" wrapped into one expression. It's not that hard. Imagine your lady asking "what are you thinking about?" You reply Вспоминай...meaning that you are recalling/recollecting certain memories.

Context is everything and that sense Вспоминай can be very romantic when used as such.

Think of Вспоминай as a way to express fond memories about "everything with her" and you'll start to get the context of this expression.

We're going to use Russian singer Sergei Lazarev videos to help us learn.

First the English version so you know what the song is about:
Сергей Лазарев -Everything/Remember -

Now listen to the Russian version:
Сергей Лазарев - Вспоминай -

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2009, 08:18:49 AM »
Вечная любовь = eternal love

At first glance, Вечная любовь seems like an ordinary translation of "eternal love." However there is nothing ordinary about the word Вечная in the Russian language. This is one of those words which you must learn to understand by Russian culture, instead of what it means in your language.

The phrase Вечная любовь will be near and dear to your lady's heart. It's the once in a lifetime love that she hopes to find. Its the kind of love expressed when you think of a old man who never remarried because he could never release the memory of his beloved lifetime bride.

Its a word (Вечная as in "memory eternal") which is sung at Russian funeral liturgies. Someday once you've been accepted into the embrace of your lady's family, ask to learn about your beloved's late father or grandfather after dinner and before long someone will launch into, and everyone present will join, with a soft and gentle singing of the Russian Orthodox hymn "Memory Eternal."

Speaking from the orgins of words Вечная is uniquely linked to both вечер and весна. вечер is evening (setting of the sun) but spring is весна (when life beings anew) and it is the combination of the magic of beginnings linked to life's endings that we begin to understand the Russian concept of "eternal."

This phrase is one of the clearest illustrations, once you grasp it's fullness, that just because a lady can say English words no more means that she "speaks English" than you are fluent in Russian just because you can say Russian words. Fluency is forever interlocked solidly with cultural context. Understand this and it will help avoid misunderstandings in communication.

So, know that when you use this expression Вечная любовь, it is packed with contextual meaning for her, far more than you can at first understand. In that light, don't use it lightly as if to play with her emotions. This is a phrase that can be very hurtful if used as a toy. It is best saved for that moment when you both understand, beyond a shadow of doubt, that you were meant to share life as one whole instead of two lost halves.

However once you've come to that understanding, together, don't withhold this phrase from her. It is music to her ears and a gift to her heart.

Learn to speak it like a native Russian:
Вечная любовь as performed with the ice skating artistry of Tatyana Arntgolts and Maksim Stavisky: (Татьяна Арнтгольц и Максим Ставиский)

From the Russian TV series Бедная Настя:

Offline Springirl

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2009, 11:07:34 AM »
also good to learn russian from poems, lol here is one:
некрасивая девочка" (Н.Заболоцкий)
Среди других играющих детей
Она напоминает лягушонка.
Заправлена в трусы худая рубашонка,
Колечки рыжеватые кудрей
Рассыпаны, рот длинен, зубки кривы,
Черты лица остры и некрасивы.
Двум мальчуганам, сверстникам её,
Отцы купили по велосипеду.
Сегодня мальчики, не торопясь к обеду,
Гоняют по двору, забывши про неё,
Она ж за ними бегает по следу.
Чужая радость так же, как своя,
Томит её и вон из сердца рвётся,
И девочка ликует и смеётся,
Охваченная счастьем бытия.

Ни тени зависти, ни умысла худого
Ещё не знает это существо.
Ей всё на свете так безмерно ново,
Так живо всё, что для иных мертво!
И не хочу я думать, наблюдая,
Что будет день, когда она, рыдая,
Увидит с ужасом, что посреди подруг
Она всего лишь бедная дурнушка!
Мне верить хочется, что сердце не игрушка,
Сломать его едва ли можно вдруг!
Мне верить хочется, что чистый этот пламень,
Который в глубине её горит,
Всю боль свою один переболит
И перетопит самый тяжкий камень!
И пусть черты её нехороши
И нечем ей прельстить воображенье,-
Младенческая грация души
Уже сквозит в любом её движенье.
А если это так, то что есть красота
И почему её обожествляют люди?
Сосуд она, в котором пустота,
Или огонь, мерцающий в сосуде?
if you speak russian quit good , hope you will understand the idea, pity, I am not a poet to translate it into english

Offline dazzer

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 04:46:22 PM »
Having just had a look at this, i must say, i was bowled over, i would never have thought of such a thing, and i admire your presentation. Tomorrow is my day off work, and i plan to do a little singing :nod:
Hats off Mendeleyev tiphat

Regards
Dazzer
« on: January 14, 2010, 02:18:43 AM »
Would she be offended to get a text without telling her ahead of time?

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 10:06:59 PM »
Ты и я

You and I. You and Me. It's such a simple concept, yet profound.

I can tell you that sometimes when walking and holding hands with the most beautiful woman in the world (that would be Mrs Mendeleyeva), all ole Mendy has to do is look into her eyes and say one simple little phrase and ... :)

So try it on. "Tee ee Ya," Ты и я.

If you have questions about how it should sound, listen to this music video:

For those just beginning to learn, the phrase first appears at the :40 second mark and it repeated throughout the song.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2010, 11:55:40 PM »
Я хочу тебя забыть = I want you to forget.

(The phrase begins with, and dominates the chorus.)

My father had a theory on apologies and forgiveness when it come to love.

We've all been hard, cross, and rude and usually apologize later in the hopes that she will forget. As you know, women have memories like steel traps and just when you thought that she had forgotten--out of nowhere she drags that past offense out of her memory closet and hammers you across the head with it all over again.   :'(

My Dad's theory went something like this: If you make the apology more memorable than the offense, she'll remember your apology instead of your failure.

Now my parents were practical folks, not much on showering each other with expensive gifts so that wasn't his message. What he communicated was that a woman understands if your apology comes sincerely from the heart and that she treasures those special moments when you touch her inside, more than the times you offend.

Although he's been gone for many years, I thought of Dad the other evening while enjoying some romantic music with Mrs Mendeleyeva. It was this song, this phrase of Я хочу тебя забыть (I want you to forget) that reminded me of his advice.

So the next time you're "in the doghouse" so to speak, when you stand before that Russian/Ukrainian lady and utter your "I'm sorry," include the line from this song. Upon hearing you speak to her in the love language of her heart, Я хочу тебя забыть, you'll be rewarded with genuine appreciation, probably some pretty "wow" kisses, and once again you'll be out of the doghouse...and back in her arms.

Я хочу тебя забыть!

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010, 09:06:14 AM »

Mendy's wrong again...  (:)

Я хочу тебя забыть = I want to forget you

I want you to forget = Я хочу, чтобы ты забыл(а)

:D
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2010, 09:08:12 AM »
Olga, always nice to see you in the language forums. Never one to just sit back and comment, you add so much to our pages, so, since you are being so constructive today, why dont' you look at YouTube and bring up our next phrase or word set to music.

It's your turn!

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2010, 09:26:46 AM »

Olga, always nice to see you in the language forums.

Forums? I'm not aware of frequenting any language forums at all, actually...  (:)

Never one to just sit back and comment, you add so much to our pages, so, since you are being so constructive today, why dont' you look at YouTube and bring up our next phrase or word set to music? It's your turn!

Translation from Mendy's mentality to a normal one: "Instead of simply admitting I was wrong and writing "thank you for correcting!", I'll try to make her do my job".

I'm not buying that, sorry!  :D

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2010, 10:23:29 AM »
First, and you are correct, thanks for correcting!  tiphat

Second, since when is it my job to do that...you are a regular member too, so give it a shot!

Offline Olga_Mouse

Mod vs. Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2010, 10:26:21 AM »

Second, since when is it my job to do that... you are a regular member too, so give it a shot!

I'm not a mod - I'm here for fun!  :party0011:  :knit:

Can't force me to do what I don't want to  :chuckle:  :biggrin:

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2010, 10:36:50 AM »

My Dad's theory went something like this: If you make the apology more memorable than the offense, she'll remember your apology instead of your failure.

/quote]

Mendy - your dad is to be admired for his wisdom.  tiphat

Offline Springirl

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2010, 05:48:05 AM »

(The phrase begins with, and dominates the chorus.)

My father had a theory on apologies and forgiveness when it come to love.

We've all been hard, cross, and rude and usually apologize later in the hopes that she will forget. As you know, women have memories like steel traps and just when you thought that she had forgotten--out of nowhere she drags that past offense out of her memory closet and hammers you across the head with it all over again.   :'(

Now my parents were practical folks, not much on showering each other with expensive gifts so that wasn't his message. What he communicated was that a woman understands if your apology comes sincerely from the heart and that she treasures those special moments when you touch her inside, more than the times you offend.

Although he's been gone for many years, I thought of Dad the other evening while enjoying some romantic music with Mrs Mendeleyeva. It was this song, this phrase of Я хочу тебя забыть (I want you to forget) that reminded me of his advice.

So the next time you're "in the doghouse" so to speak, when you stand before that Russian/Ukrainian lady and utter your "I'm sorry," include the line from this song. Upon hearing you speak to her in the love language of her heart, Я хочу тебя забыть, you'll be rewarded with genuine appreciation, probably some pretty "wow" kisses, and once again you'll be out of the doghouse...and back in her arms.

Я хочу тебя забыть!

(Attachment Link)

Hi Mendy! I like this one, very beauteful and FM can recognise a lot of russian words
hope you will like it also tiphat

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2010, 09:43:03 PM »
Mendy - your dad is to be admired for his wisdom

Thanks, Jared.  tiphat

Springirl, did you know that Valeriya is one of my favourites?  :)

She had dedicated a lot of effort and publicity to the growing problems of trafficing in women and forced prostitution:

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2010, 11:58:31 PM »
Finding some terms set to music is sometimes an experience in humour. Such is this song, Отпусти by Стас Михайлов и Таисия Повалий (Stas Mikhailov and Taisiya Povaliy). Its sort of a "War of the Roses" (1989 movie) set to music and done in under 4 minutes.

One of the Mendeleyev daughters loves this video and especially the court clerks who double as typists and back up singers.  :chuckle:

The term Отпусти has to do with "release" or "letting go" and well, that is quite obvious from the video.

Even with the lighthearted and fun approach, don't forget to learn how to pronounce the word, "ah-PU-ste."

If you'd like to hear the word again from a different speaker, click the link below as a different song with a similar title is sung by Valeriya:

Offline Springirl

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2010, 03:38:47 PM »
Mendy - your dad is to be admired for his wisdom

Thanks, Jared.  tiphat

Springirl, did you know that Valeriya is one of my favourites?  :)

She had dedicated a lot of effort and publicity to the growing problems of trafficing in women and forced prostitution:
well she is my favourite too! :) :party0011:
here is one new for you in english:
best regards , Mendy tiphat
and one in russian: "don't hurt me"- "не обижай меня"- " ne obizhai meniya" :)  :saint:

Registration