The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Brit Chat -  (Read 149866 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: The Brit Chat -
« Reply #1350 on: August 15, 2018, 02:25:52 AM »
As the 'Muslim' mayor of London said, "All Londoners, like me, utterly condemn all acts of terrorism on our city. The response of Londoners today shows that we will never be cowed, intimidated or divided by any terrorist attack.”

When the IRA were blowing up people did we call them  "Roman Catholic terrorists " ? It wasn't exactly 'successful' - was it ?   

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #1351 on: August 15, 2018, 07:59:18 AM »
As the 'Muslim' mayor of London said, "All Londoners, like me, utterly condemn all acts of terrorism on our city. The response of Londoners today shows that we will never be cowed, intimidated or divided by any terrorist attack.”

When the IRA were blowing up people did we call them  "Roman Catholic terrorists " ? It wasn't exactly 'successful' - was it ?
The IRA weren’t blowing people up and themselves in the process, shouting ‘Long live the Pope’ or ‘In the name of Christ’, were they?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #1352 on: August 15, 2018, 08:53:46 AM »

Please explain to RUA what the IRA was attempting to do killing innocents in the 70's onwards?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #1353 on: August 15, 2018, 09:36:55 AM »

The IRA weren’t blowing people up and themselves in the process, shouting ‘Long live the Pope’ or ‘In the name of Christ’, were they?

Don’t confuse the apologist with such a small detail!

Don’t normal people condemn bombings anyway?

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1354 on: August 15, 2018, 09:49:13 AM »

Don’t confuse the apologist with such a small detail!

Don’t normal people condemn bombings anyway?

You miss the greater question is the Mobyviator normal?

Offline Manny

« Reply #1355 on: August 15, 2018, 09:51:44 AM »
As the 'Muslim' mayor of London said,

Why is Muslim in inverted commas? The mayor of London IS a Muslim.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1356 on: August 15, 2018, 09:55:50 AM »

I suspect it has something to do with settings and which web browser you are using. Hopefully Mobyviator knows the religion of the Mayor of London. Than again hope and Moby . . . .

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #1357 on: August 15, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »

The same Mayor said that “terror attacks are part of living in a big city”.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #1358 on: August 15, 2018, 06:04:19 PM »

Please explain to RUA what the IRA was attempting to do killing innocents in the 70's onwards?

Not to interject into the discussion question, throughout history people who felt that their ideas and beliefs were not being addressed or getting any progress, would submit to using acts of violence to "scare" those who were maintaining the status quo to hopefully induce some kind of change.  Although the people getting killed may not have been directly involved with maintaining the status quo, they were acceptable collateral damage.   If you had no direct access to the top hierarchy, you had no other choice than to target the "little people".  Yet another example of being "at the wrong place at the wrong time".   :(
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #1359 on: August 15, 2018, 08:31:05 PM »

]Please explain to RUA what the IRA was attempting to do killing innocents in the 70's onwards?

You'd have to ask 'them' ..   To ME they were terrorist with an aim that was pointless.. 

Are you a 'Christian' ?  ...  You think those who try to kill / maim in the 'name of God' are 'religious; ... ?   

Hmm, I 'forgot' you gew up in the troubles and know all about the Civil Rights movement the '69 riots and the (re)rise of the IRA. ..   Many Protestants also thought they had God on their side [ puke]

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #1360 on: August 16, 2018, 05:51:39 AM »
Actually, for those who only live on fantasy and misrecall, the IRA campaigns were successful. There can be no doubt that was it not for the activities of the IRA that the situation in Northern Ireland would not have changed. The British government would not have entered into negotiations and no settlements or compromises reached.

Terrorism is simply a form of warfare that is used when the sides in a conflict have vastly different levels of resources. Terrorists, usually but far from always, are simply an enemy that will not fight on the terms that the nominal holder of a monopoly on violence (the state) prefers. The actual acts of 'terrorism' are usually entirely acceptable to violence monopolists when they use the same techniques on their own behalf.

The Mayor of London is correct to note that terrorism is inevitable. That does not make him accept that terrorism is OK nor does it make him an apologist for terrorists, he is simply making an honest and correct point. One might argue that when acts of terrorism cause us to change our way of life, to restrict our personal freedoms, that the terrorists have won a victory. That essential truth has led us to the acts of security theatre that almost all of us are subjected to every day of our lives. If we understood what Khan knows then, in truth, we'd actually live better lives!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #1361 on: August 16, 2018, 06:02:27 AM »
Actually, for those who only live on fantasy and misrecall, the IRA campaigns were successful. There can be no doubt that was it not for the activities of the IRA that the situation in Northern Ireland would not have changed.

Unless there were two parallel universe where we could compare - that is a hard statement to back up

Given the changes the Republic of Ireland has made - from near Church State to being FAR more progressive than N.Ireland's 'representation'.

I challenge your viewpoint in that *I* don't think losing 3000 lives and many more ruined lives by sectarian violence resulted in 'change' ... *I* believe being EU members brought about realism and that TRADING brought down barriers

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1362 on: August 16, 2018, 12:27:50 PM »
I have read somewhere words to the effect that one sides terrorists are another sides freedom fighters.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #1363 on: August 16, 2018, 02:33:01 PM »
I have read somewhere words to the effect that one sides terrorists are another sides freedom fighters.

So true..   The Mother of my kids was of Irish '(south') parentage on her Dad's side and it was kinds of strange to be in a Dublin pub with her paternal and hear them curse that the IRA failed to motor bomb John Major's ( best UK PM in my lifetime )  cabinet .."Present company accepted" was the next sentence when I looked somewhat aggrieved  :chuckle:

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #1364 on: August 16, 2018, 04:23:55 PM »
'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes'

This would appear to be in need of updating to death, taxes, and terrorism.   (:)

Many pundits assert that the difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter is purely a matter of perception. When our guy kills in battle, he’s a freedom fighter; when our enemy does, he is a terrorist

Terrorism is not like greed; it is an extreme form of destructive envy.

https://acton.org/pub/commentary/2001/11/14/terrorists-or-freedom-fighters-whats-difference
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1365 on: August 29, 2018, 12:58:04 AM »

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #1366 on: September 02, 2018, 09:31:03 PM »
While this will be in the UK I should point out that representatives from AfD (Alternative for Deutschland) will be there and they will be discussing Chemnitz.

https://traditionalbritain.org/events/traditional-britain-conference-2018/

A featured speaker will be Katie Hopkins.

Her talk will be on ‘The Fight for Western Culture’. To this end, she'll regale us with her experiences across the globe from the welfare tourists at Italian ports and the Generation Identity 'Defend Europe' response; to her being barred from South Africa in an attempt to hush-up the farm murders and the growing vulnerability of Europeans there.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1367 on: September 03, 2018, 01:59:01 AM »
Her talk will be on ‘The Fight for Western Culture’. To this end, she'll regale us with her experiences across the globe from the welfare tourists at Italian ports and the Generation Identity 'Defend Europe' response; to her being barred from South Africa in an attempt to hush-up the farm murders and the growing vulnerability of Europeans there.

Please inform RUA how many farmers have been murdered in South Africa and how many white farmers there have had there farm land taken away from them?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #1368 on: September 03, 2018, 06:30:25 AM »
It is hard to get a figure for murders of South African farmers because the government no longer publishes the figures because they are so high. Also, the government classifies attacks on farms, of which there are many, as robberies gone wrong.

I looked at Snopes for the usual shits and giggles. They had an article about violence against the white farmers. The lede claimed that there was not a problem but the rest of the article clearly showed that there's a real problem and that it is getting worse rapidly.

Snopes used to be interesting and a fairly reliable source, but not any more.

Here's an interesting piece that tries to get some objective data upon which to base an informed opinion: https://dailycaller.com/2018/08/30/south-africa-white-farms-white-farmers/
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1369 on: September 03, 2018, 06:57:49 AM »
What I have understood there is very little violence against white farmers in South Africa. It seems the entire story is 'fake news'. This story is something that D. Trump has repeated numerous times, it gains credence but no credibility when looked at. South Africa has begun a public dialogue on how to bring more black's into farming & owning land.

South Africa is aware of the debacle of Zimbabwe/Venezuela and does not wish to repeat it.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #1370 on: September 03, 2018, 08:27:27 AM »

Here's an interesting piece that tries to get some objective data upon which to base an informed opinion:

Your making it  a reference will count it out as a place where those seeking to be truly well-informed ... 

Ah yes, you've been to S.Africa  and experienced all this for yourself .....   

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #1371 on: September 03, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »

Please inform RUA how many farmers have been murdered in South Africa and how many white farmers there have had there farm land taken away from them?

Why are you asking me? If you wish to actually gain some real knowledge then go to the event which I linked above and hear what they have to say.

If you wish to read about what is going on then read a news source which has genuine information by a real expert (Thank you Andrew for posting a good source and adding something of value to the conversation).

However if you wish to remain ill informed then continue to listen to what your masters at CNN tell you to believe. It seems your aversion to Trump has colored your judgement to begin with; nobody here can help you with that.

If you prefer to keep your head buried in the sand like an ostrich then enjoy.

The head of Genocide Watch, Dr. Gregory Stanton in 2012 conducted a study in South Africa and came to an incredible conclusion: “There is a coordinated campaign of genocide being conducted against white farmers.” Many of the Whites surrendered their guns when the African National Congress (ANC) government passed gun laws to confiscate the farmers’ weapons.

Genocide Watch said, “Disarmament of a targeted group is one of the surest early warning signs of future genocidal killings
.”

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #1372 on: September 03, 2018, 09:58:44 AM »
It is hard to get a figure for murders of South African farmers because the government no longer publishes the figures because they are so high. Also, the government classifies attacks on farms, of which there are many, as robberies gone wrong.

I looked at Snopes for the usual shits and giggles. They had an article about violence against the white farmers. The lede claimed that there was not a problem but the rest of the article clearly showed that there's a real problem and that it is getting worse rapidly.

Snopes used to be interesting and a fairly reliable source, but not any more.

Here's an interesting piece that tries to get some objective data upon which to base an informed opinion: https://dailycaller.com/2018/08/30/south-africa-white-farms-white-farmers/

Thank you Andrew for posting something with real value to the discussion. From your link they say that white farmers are being brutally murdered once every 5 days. Hardly insignificant.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1373 on: September 03, 2018, 10:43:59 AM »
Lets try some basic realities.

How much land percentage wise of South Africa can you grow any crop on?

What is the primary product (and export) of South Africa?

Andrew, why not dig a bit deeper?

Confederate you still have not shown any facts or numbers about white South African farmers killed.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #1374 on: September 03, 2018, 11:01:28 AM »
As always history repeats itself. American journalists who deny reality because a despotic regime fed them some “Pravda” is nothing new (Duranty).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/542610/

Registration