The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Trippin in St Pete  (Read 10371 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Trippin in St Pete
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 01:18:08 AM »
trippin

Totally Random Notes

After reading my report I wish there was a way to go back and correct all my errors in spelling and grammar. I usually try to check it better but things were happening too quickly and I was scrambling unsuccessfully to keep everything up to date. Also they served Piva at the internet café which could have been a factor as well.

I accidentally left my beauty bag, the bag with all the essential items to keep up my sleek and handsome appearance behind, including my razor, toothbrush, hair gel etc. I would have really enjoyed the toothbrush when I arrived at JFK. I did bring along a huge quantity of sugarless gum which every Ruskayas loved after tea and cake or a meal.

I brought with me one large bath towel. The towels provided at every apartment that I have been to in the FSU have been thread bare and suitable only for drying small things that are only slightly damp.

Elena at http://www.love-formula.com has several women in picture books that are not on her website. If you are heading to St Petersburg I would recommend talking to her.

I also had a good response from the people at Russianlovematch. Oksana and Alena were both very helpful and put me in touch with Elena. Oksana even helped me with a Russian word or phrase that I couldn’t figure out (in transliteration so I could understand).

I brought a note book with me to draw out ideas and to write words. Most Russian women can read words they don’t understand when spoken. But this next part is a key precaution! Make sure that you have a place marked (I bent the page over) where you don’t show another woman’s notes or words or drawings. Since I started in the front and worked to the back I simply opened it to spot with an empty page in between.

Someone asked me about my decision to pay Andre after the day in the dark incident. I rarely loose my temper and he looked so pathetic after my tirade. Really words can’t describe the intensity that he used to stare at the electrical panel and I guess I’m just a big softy. To his credit he refused to take it at first so I put it in his front pocket.

I really liked the idea of just walking up to women and talking to them but after the one day Elena had me too busy to try it again except for the date I managed to get with the married waitress.

So far on each of my 5 trips having a small flashlight was essential. I have used it to shave with (and to find and remove traces of shaving cream) quite a number of times.

I emailed myself a signed notarized copy of an Attestation form. This is a form disclosing how many times I was convicted of felonies, drug smuggling and prostitution ring running etc. to keep in tune with the laws enacted last March. I only had to report the rings I was caught running however. I gave a copy of the disclosure form to the agencies that I went to.

In Russian grocery stores they have yards of rows of squeeze bags of mayonnaise. Some of these bags have tomatoes on them, some have cucumbers. Others have various interesting things pictured on the bag. So being adventurous and remembering all the different things that they will put in a carton of milk, I selected three different bags thinking I would have just about the most exciting sandwiches in the FSU. When I got home I found that I had three bags of identical mayonnaise as far as I can tell. I might use a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise a day so three bags would be at least a years supply.

Three bags of mayonnaise would most likely be a three week supply for your average Ruskaya. They put lots of mayonnaise on everything even their soup sometimes. They also will put sour cream in their soup which before my first trip to the FSU I had never tried. Now I put it in borsch and it’s quite tasty. Russian sour cream is thinner than American sour cream but thicker than Mexican and in my opinion tastes better.

Almost all restaurants have several kinds of juice; many are made fresh for you on the spot. I had a couple different kinds with each meal that I ate out. This is one place where you can trust the pictures on the juice boxes in a Russian store. If it has pineapples on it then you are getting pineapple juice.

Every grocery store had a variety of mystery meats. I had no idea what many of them were so I stayed with precooked ham which I felt fairly safe with.

I know a little Spanish (I live in California) and can tell you that I have often confused it with Russian at times. I would be searching for a word in Russian and the Spanish word (it’s a foreign language after all) would pop out. I can tell you for a fact that if you substitute Spanish word for a Russian word it will not help you in anyway to get your idea across. I can also tell you if you say a Russian word for a Spanish word to a Mexican that he will look at you cross eyed.

In an airport I saw a group of Russian men smoking directly beneath a No Smoking sign. When an American fired up his cigarette (he was wearing a cowboy hat) an airport official quickly came over and told him it was against the rules.

On a previous trip I was in an airplane (KLM) and when somebody entered the bathroom there was a drawing of a man and a woman in a circle with a line through it. There were a couple of College guys seated next to me drinking and having a good time. I pointed to the sign and they explained to me that it meant that the bathroom was occupied. Relieved I told them I thought it meant that the mile high club was not allowed. They thought this was so hilarious that they insisted that I have a drink with them.

Summary
This is my fifth trip to the FSU. I have read hours and hours and hours on this forum and others. Anytime I saw a new trip report I read it with zeal. I had already read all of the archives and old reports a couple of times each. I came to think I almost knew some of the people writing these reports and making all these posts. I think I learned a lot and decided to make a trip myself. I had to learn some of the lessons told by others the hard way (thinking that surely this couldn’t happen to me), but I avoided a many of the common pitfalls.

Initially I wasn’t going to write a trip report but then I thought that I have gained so much from the reports of others that I should pass on to others what so many others have passed on to me.

I have decided to write to V2 to see where it may lead. I have tried to call her but haven’t been able to reach her as of today.

I was asked earlier what I was seeking for in a woman and this is what I wrote in my profile. It’s a little corny but here it is.

I am not looking for a woman that I can live with, I am looking for a woman that I can't live without. What am I looking for? I want it all. I want love, beauty, passion, honesty, a confidant, a real companion, a lover, a wife. I want a woman who wants to be a woman and who wants her man to be a man. (I told you I want it all :-) I am a Catholic and I am looking for a Christian woman, I don't fall on my knees and pray every five minutes but I am a believer and NOT looking for an atheist.

I haven’t found the end of the rainbow yet and I will never stop looking until I find it. I will not give up seeking that which would make me happy.

If I think of something else to add I will.
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 01:20:16 AM »
What I am packin

Things I always pack for my trips

I know that the kind of clothes to bring depends on the time of year. I also know that its unlikely that I can buy anything to fit me that I forget or leave behind.

I walk on average 5-10 miles per day so I bring a couple pairs of very good walking shoes and a pair of hiking boots. It takes up a ton of room in my suitcases but its worth it

Foot powder or baby powder makes those ten miles more comfortable.

Small Flashlight, I have never been to the FSU without the power going off at least once.

Condoms, did you ever need one and not have one? It is not a good feeling.

Chap Stick to keep those lips kissable and works for hang nails too

I-pod / CD player

Gum, I bring a lot and offer it out to Ruskayas they seem to appreciate it.

Digital camera

Extra change of clothes in your carry on bag.

Electric converters and adapters

Some coffee table picture books of your area

Baby wipes

I bring a Swiss army knife in my packed luggage. I have used the little scissors and the screwdriver feature on every single trip at least once.

I have an estaco electronic translator it is incredibly useful. You must be able to spell to use it however so a handheld dictionary is a good back up.

A full size American fluffy bath towel, the ones in the apartments are always small and thread bare.

Things I do before heading out on a trip
Haircut a week before, I think it takes a week before my hair looks good after a haircut obviously YMMV
I get a manicure and pedicure a day or two before leaving, I know it’s not the most manly thing to do but they do look at your finger nails.
I check to see that there is no hair growing where it shouldn't i.e., nose ears etc.

The last thing I recommend it to bring your sense of humor. Things rarely go as planned and yet you can still have a good time if you have your head on straight.
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 01:32:12 AM »
I wrote, called and exchanged many sms to V2 for months. My trip report got the attention at a anti *** website because somehow this report defames all Russian women. I don't understand how and have stopped wondering / caring how it was possible.

It was very probable that either M1 or V2 started this most likely V2. They both denied it but I dumped V2 or possibly she dumped me for accusing her.

I am back at square one writing ladies.

Take care and good luck!

Bill

Offline Nikolai

• Designing/Hosting web sites
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2007, 06:56:29 AM »
lol

Offline Wiz

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2007, 08:17:11 AM »
Wiz,
Adventure Stories is a place for Men and Women to share experiences in the FSU without bringing in outside bickering. We want people to feel safe sharing their experiences.

When is your next trip to Russia?

RGDS
wiz
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2007, 05:28:15 AM »
Wiz, you are correct, there is no purpose to bicker in this section.

Take care,

Bill

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 06:29:35 PM »
This report was about my 4th trip to the FSU