The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Trippin in St Pete  (Read 10371 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Trippin in St Pete
« on: May 19, 2007, 03:28:26 PM »

I made a relatively unplanned trip to St Pete. I got a quick visa from Go to Russia which has offices in San Francisco, so I dropped off my passport and picked it up with a visa in it a few days later.

My house keeper usually stays with my son during these trips but she is 9 months pregnant and due to pop at any moment. I drove 12 hours to my Grandfathers house on the 23rd with my 16 year old son and spent Christmas Eve and a couple of hours Christmas day with them.

My Son will stay with my sister and my aunt and my father and several of his cousins will be on hand. Also my Grandfather will turn 92 on the 27th of December. My Grandfather by the way hunted down and killed a bull elk in the forest last season but then he was only 91, I hope I got my share of his genes. I bought a few legal in the US fireworks for my son Tim to light off for Grandpa’s birthday. I then drove the short 12 hour drive from my Grandfathers ranch back to California and slept the rest of Christmas night. I had to arrive at the airport at 4:00am on the 27th so I just stayed up all night and left my house at 3:00am, I parked in long term and began my journey.

Some back ground on me. I am a 45 year old single Dad business owner in the San Francisco bay area. I have been to Odessa once (Stirlitz as my guide) to Kiev twice (Stirlitz and Pavel once each) then I went on my own to Lugansk. I have only finished 9 lessons on Pimsleur so my Russian is very basic.

I got onto my United Airlines flight to New York with out a hitch. I tried unsuccessfully to get a bulkhead or exit row seat I am 6' 7" and they reserve these seats for people especially for those under 6 foot because taller people do not need these seats.

On the Aeroflot part of the journey (from NY to Moscow) I was told that I couldn’t get an exit row seat unless I was fluent in Russian. I was seated with a woman very beautiful Ruskaya but with a two year old raised by the devil himself. I was bit not once, not twice but three times. I was the oldest of 6 kids and raised a few myself but have never dealt with a kid so wild.

The Aeroflot flight was two hours late and so I missed my connecting flight. I don’t sleep on planes and of course I stayed up all the night before to get to the flight at Oh dark thirty. I arrived in Moscow and my bags were not there. No problem buying clothes for a 6' 7" (201cm) man since every clothing store has clothes my size......... NOT!!!

I went to the baggage clerk and he assured me that my bags went on to St Petersburg without me. I didn’t believe this. I knew that I had to take my bags through customs. I had a change of clothes on my carry on and then went into the airport looking for the free shuttle

Of course finding the free shuttle in a barrage of lying taxi drivers is close to impossible for a man who can’t read a single word of Russian. I went and got something to eat before negotiating a $20 fare between airports.

Of course the price changed as we were leaving but I stuck to my guns, the driver was not going to let me leave the car but I gave him my “I haven’t slept in Days look” and “I have three bites on my leg look” and my “I would like to kill you look if you try to stop me”. One of those looks made the driver suddenly think that the 20 fare was a fair price since we agreed on it before I got into the cab.

I am in the right airport now but my flight left hours before. So, I march up to an Aeroflot window and get cut in front of by several Russian women. I have played power forward in college and although they were all much better than me I also played against a few NBA players.

I did a screen move with a pick off move with my fore arm followed with multiple suite case bumps that put me very close to the front and I regained some of my manhood, although one scrappy babushka used an umbrella like a harpoon got ahead of me and I am not messin with her again. I am convinced that the Babushka has lead bayonet charges against the Germans after her unit ran out of ammunition. I bow to superior talent.

Once I got to the front I was informed I missed my flight (gee I knew that) I needed to get a new ticket by going upstairs to room $!!@#% (some number that I don’t understand in Russian). I went to several rooms but I am not sure that there really is a $!!@#%.
So after a while I ended up talking to Helen a supervisor. She got Anna (not a supervisor) to give me a new ticket for the next flight.

I rushed back to get my carry on X-rayed and missed my flight while waiting in another line.

This whole story could be about the rude and obnoxious people at Aeroflot. I did eventually get to St Pete (three missed flights and 5 hours late) there is more than I told you but I did actually find my bags in St Pete which I would have bet the moon that they would not be there. So I will spare you the rest of the mess.
Back to the adventure.........

I had an agency eventually find me at the airport in St Pete, and then I was driven to my flat. The flat was run down and not up to the Standards I was used to. (Stirlitz and Pavel have spoiled me) After days without sleep I would have agreed to stay on a park bench. I wanted some time to scope things out so I agreed to stay five days (out of ten) and paid.

The Next day I met M a very cute gal I had been writing and my absolutely primary reason for the trip. (basically I was going wovo but I had a couple of back up plans) She has a masters degree, knows four Languages fluently.

She was a little shy at first and to be honest about half of the women I meet are a little surprised at my height when I first meet them even when I was a teenager. Things flow along nicely M is cute and funny and off we go.

I can usually walk at a pace that leaves most mortals several kilometers behind me in minutes but not with M. She is only 5' 5" but at one time she smiled to me and said "Keep up or you may get lost." We went shopping but don’t worry she paid for her stuff (for the most part), I paid for mine.

My flat needed supplies, she needed some last minute gifts for New Years. I got the full Russian experience riding super steep long escalators a fall would be death and the smelly subways, and incredibly cramped busses. But I survived it all and carried many many bags along the way. M did her part and carried a load that would leave many pack mules scurrying, and she did this at buried in the mass of bodies in the subways and busses.

At least I could see over everyone’s head and I would have had a screaming fit if I had to do this at arm pit level. M seems generally concerned to make sure that I am not hungry or thirsty at any time and will stop everything to make sure that my tank is topped off.

To be continued more to come..........

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online 2tallbill

Still Trippin
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 04:24:01 PM »
The adventure continues...........

Before Meeting M I walked around looking for a local cell phone. I wanted to have something in which to communicate where ever I was and also to call back to the US and check on various things and of course my Son who is with my Sister and his cousins.  By the way my son doesn’t really understand why I shouldn’t simply become a monk and be alone for the rest of my life.

I went into a phone store speaking exactly zero in technical Russian about cell phones and my needs. I find a guy who spoke a little more than zero technical English about cell phones. He got me a nokia and signed me up for MegaFon. He asked for my passport. I showed it to him and then he pulled out his own passport and signed me up with a plan where I buy a scratch card for the minutes I need.

Note: This was a mistake, you have to have a Russian passport for MegaFon in order to buy additional Scratch cards. I didn't know this or understand this at the time. So now I got to go back to the same store each time to buy Scratch cards where the guy pulls out his passport to buy them for me. And for the life of me I can’t figure out how to call the US. The phone is somehow registered to the Russian sales rep.

About the Next installment: I have a disagreement with M. I am sure that some of you will disagree how I handled it. In hindsight I would have went about it a little differently but who knows. I don't want to spend hours discussing every detail and have decided to just say this.

I had a disagreement with her. It might be irreconcilable differences or maybe not.

I gave myself a quick pep talk about how I am not going to waste a trip wovo and that I can turn this into a productive trip if I get with the program. So I am now looking at my plan B, C and so forth.

I contact Ksenia at VIP international and tell her that I want to meet some ladies. She said that I should come in and talk to one of her managers. This is December 30th at 4 pm and the biggest Russian holiday of all time is going to happen the next day. But one of her cute young managers Nastya who is available by the way (too young for me) got out several picture books for me and I quickly made a list of those who had contacted me previously and a list of others that caught my eye and had some knowledge of English.

The cute little manager asked me about ten questions and started burning the phone lines like a woman possessed, speaking rapid machinegun Russian, she was definitely on her game even though she was leaving in an hour to begin her own holiday with her best friend waiting for her to leave. From time to time I saw the wind slip out of her sails but she just lit back up with new determination.

The problem she kept running into was that all the girls she managed to reach had already gone into full New Years celebration mode with family and friends and the agency itself was going to be closed until January third.

The cute little manager Nastya managed to get me a date in a couple hours with V. She wasn't someone that I had any previous contact with. I went to the internet cafe and worked my own game as well. I am a platinum member with Elena's Models and after a quick search wrote several of them telling them I was here in St Pete and would like to meet them.

I also went onto http://free-dating-agency.com where I have a profile and also
http://freepersonals.ru .

To be continued...................
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Online 2tallbill

Trippin in St Pete
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 04:39:17 PM »
The saga continues..............

Nastya got me a date with V, at last minute. I put on my leather jacket (it has been relatively warm in St Pete the entire time I have been here) I get a rose along the way to the agency and arrive a few minutes early.

There is another American there Fred (not his real name) and we exchange contact information in case we want to do something later since the agency is going to be closed until the 3rd. I meet V, she seems nice, speaks decent English but not exactly my type but I think I might as well get a bite and see what she is like. So I grab the leather jacket hanging from the coat rack and off we go.

It seems dark going down the stairs to the exit and I reach for my flashlight and realize it’s not in my pocket which is strange because I remember putting it there earlier. Well I am chatting up V while we head to a little sushi place and I look at my arms and realize that my jacket is about 4 inches short on each arm hmmmm..........

When I take off my jacket I notice that it has the exact same label as my jacket should except the size is extra large. I wear and XXLT and this is not my jacket. I finish eating with V and we walk back to the agency I took Fred's Jacket. He was staying in a hotel just around the corner so I drop it off.

There are definitely no sparks with me for V and although she likes me I can't see asking her out again. I walk V home which is less than a block away. I go to kiss her on the cheek and she turns her head and I get the lips and a big smile. mmmm..........not so bad.

I walk back to the internet cafe and start working options D, E, F and so forth.........

To be continued

Online 2tallbill

Safe Russian taxi drivers and other oxymorons
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 08:56:19 PM »
I got a bite on the Elena's Models feelers that I put out earlier and she speaks good English. I am still working on various backup plans, I know a cute Ruskaya in Pskov which is not that far away considering I am 11 time zones from home.

I gave her a call on my local cell phone which was very very far from my brightest move since now I had to explain why I wasn't on the way to see her. I am not a man who will try to BS a woman, they are waaay too crafty and Russian women have a BS meter that can pick up the slightest whiff of BS at a thousand paces on a windy day. I fumble around with the visit to M that fell apart and although I was not completely out of hot water my stumbling bumbling confession was the truth and she knew it.

I called and made a date with O the from Elena's Models we were to meet at The Europa Hotel. She gave me directions as only some women without the concept of the time space continuum and linear thought can give.

To make things easier she sprinkled in several incredibly long Russian landmarks like go to Prospect asdlkfjasodifjaosdjf, then when you come to the big building turn right then go behind asdpzscbvjmqwlnmgb and it will be between two other buildings you can't miss it.

There are many men who wont ask strangers for directions but I am not one of those men. I asked directions every couple of hundred meters with mixed success. Gde gastinistsi Europa? followed by either shrugs finger pointing or detailed instructions in Russian (the finger pointing worked the best)

I did make the decision to only ask cute Ruskayas for directions. I figured it would increase my chances to meet a cute Ruskaya (boy I am cooking with gas now LOL) I talked to at least a dozen Ruskayas this way.

While standing directly outside of the Hotel I asked another cute Ruskaya where the Hotel Europa was and she pointed me to the lobby. I meet O and we have a dinner. She wanted to make plans to ring in the New Year with me. I didn't really feel attracted to her and so I told her that I liked her but only as a friend and not romantically.

O took this in stride and said she thought that it would be incredibly unlucky to spend the New Year alone and not in the company with friends. She would take me with her to a New Years celebration at a friend’s house as a friend and even introduce me to her single friends.

Wow, nice response I thought and a minute later she sees another friend who was recently married to a foreign man from Finland. They invite us to join them for Tea and invite us to a celebration at their flat.

O and I grab a taxi go to my flat, where I pick up some of my coffee table books about California and the bay area and a bottle of Champaign and a cake and back into a taxi her friends house named N1.

It is beginning to snow fairly good and Mario Andreddi (did I spell his name wrong?) would have been terrified at the speeds at which we weaved in and out of traffic missing other cars and pedestrians by mere inches and making driving lanes where none are apparent, and aggressively cutting off cars while using the horn as often as possible.

To increase the safety margin the taxi driver had piled many little nick knacks on his dash effectively blocking the defroster creating tiny little portholes in which to view things like cross traffic. I am sure this helped keep his focus and I think the little nip of cheer he occasionally took from a flask secreted inside his jacket was to relieve holiday stress.

O and I arrive alive (shaken not stirred) at the flat of N1 who is making a spread of food made for an army but still working on it. I know my way around a kitchen and cut many vegetables, potatoes, peeled eggs and generally won the heart of the women present with my culinary skills. I could have slew several dragons and swam an alligator infested moat scaled the castle walls and defeated the evil black night and I would not have been as popular. (Honestly I just chopped stuff)

They all acted like my beginning Russian was nearly fluent and threw praises at me that would have swelled the head of most men, but I knew I was butchering the language and that they were just trying to make me feel welcome.

Several toasts were made saying good bye to 2006 and several more were made to welcome 2007 and the bright possibilities ahead. Wisely I learned before not to try to drink vodka with Russians and took tiny sips of Champaign with each toast. When they asked why I wasn't drinking much of my vodka, I explained that O would break her back trying to carry me home.

N1 was a gracious host, she gave me a small figurine of a pig since this was to be the Chinese year of the pig and it would give me much financial success. I didn't have the heart to tell her that the Chinese New Year was on a different day and I had a marvelous time. One of the guests Z gave us a relatively unexciting ride home, I sent O home in a taxi from my flat with a kiss on the cheek.
More to come.................

Offline PlumberMan

Re: Trippin in St Pete
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 11:47:14 PM »
Glad to see you here 2Tall! Thanks for sharing your story. I look forward to more posts.

Online 2tallbill

spell check
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 01:19:50 AM »
Hey Plumberdude, when I first wrote my report in real time, I didn't really edit it for spelling, grammar etc. I also made more than few of them after having a piva or two. I am running it through a spell check first this time.

Bill

Offline sydneyvontrapp

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 01:26:40 AM »
Hello Bill :
   I did the same thing when I moved my trip report over.  I fixed spelling errors and any other glaring mistakes I noticed.  Now if only we could go back and fix any mistakes we've made! ;D ;D ;D

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 01:37:43 AM »
I am currently trying several methods to meet Ruskayas including just walking up to a woman and talking to her, this has worked for me about a thousand times in the USA but my Russian is very basic at best. I will let you know it’s a little more intimidating than it sounds here but now that I have told all you that I will do it, then I would appear to be a big chicken if I didn't follow through. I will let you know how well this is working.

There are still no agencies open yet they seem to be closed for the holidays.

I found an English Newspaper with an advertisement for learning Russian for 3.99 euros per hour, I would like to definitely work something like that into my schedule

to be continued..........

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 01:42:18 AM »
Hello Bill :
   I did the same thing when I moved my trip report over.  I fixed spelling errors and any other glaring mistakes I noticed.  Now if only we could go back and fix any mistakes we've made! ;D ;D ;D

Yeah I also am posting in a larger font because I remember the 8 zillion trip reports I read late at night squinting to read one of Jookies or Turbos trials and tribulations.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 01:47:20 AM »
Ok, I did it. Seven failures compared to one success. I approached eight women and the eighth agreed to have tea with me (and cake I had to sweeten the deal pun intended) I basically talked to ladies waiting in line or elsewhere.

Her name is M2 and she is only 20 years old.....I know I am going to burn in hell for this, but actually I needed to have a little success. We talked about California weather etc. She was sooooooo............cute but I am not seeking a 20 year old but it was a nice confidence booster at the right time. 

Actually, when I was on a different date with M1 there was a cutie ( who was working) checking me out at one of the shops by the cell phone store, so I will go back and see if I can find her and the store.

I have been talking from time to time with Fred about getting together sometime and maybe working a double date or something. We haven't worked out anything yet.

I am far from giving up (I am either stubborn stupid or both) and I really appreciate the nice Pm's and sms and even a call from one member. Tomorrow the agencies open and I expect to have some success there once Nastya starts working her groove.

to be continued..........

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 01:58:52 AM »
Tick tock the clock is turning and Nastya the industrious cute manager is still on vacation and the other manager there just wanted me to wait a day or so to see what shook out.

The other manager is really lazy (especially by Nastya’s standards) and doesn't really care to call anyone. After about eight tries I finally got her to get back out the picture books so I could recompile a list of ladies so she could call them and set up some more meetings. She did not want to do this, but I wasn't going to stop standing at her desk looking down at her until she did. I have two meetings for tomorrow and none for today. I struck out at a couple of other things as well.

I did meet the famous Phil dAmore Noted philosopher, philanthropist, teacher of English and St Petersburg resident ate lunch with me and passed down more than a few pearls of wisdom sprinkled with personal stories and anecdotes.

I still need to register my visa and find some laundry detergent and a few other house keeping needs.

It has been noted in many other trip reports but when you buy something for 40 rubles (pronounced Rubbles like Barney on the Flintstones) if you hand them a 500 ruble bill then the babushka in the kiosk will act like you asked to sleep with her 12 year old daughter. You will definitely not be getting what ever it is that you wanted to buy.

I have a few more leads to follow up on and have gone through all my old mail and found several women that wrote me from St Pete over the last year. Some of those women are very attractive and speak English, I never followed up on them earlier because I was focused on Ukraine at the time.

Its snowing outside when I came in. I am one of those smelly Russian guys now. I have been bundled up going outside in the cold and inside to superheated rooms where my warm clothes become sticky and back out again. When I took off my coat I realized the odor that I was smelling came from me.

A couple of misc notes. The tap in the bathroom doubles for the sink or the bath you just swivel it where you want it and of course you have the water weasel shower attachment which can spray water all over the bathroom if you are not prepared. The water smells like raw sewage but it only smells like rotten eggs (a definite upgrade) if you let it run for a while. I have been to Mexico a zillion times and utilize safe water habits at all times. I use bottled water even on the rinse cycle when washing dishes.

The Russian Piva tastes very good, comes in 1 and 2 liter bottles and is only about 10 to 15% alcohol and its very cheap. Premium American beer is about 5% comes in 12 oz bottles.

They sell a multitude of stuff that looks like milk but is NOT milk. I bought something that I thought was milk but was actually something between milk and sour cream. I actually poured it on my cereal and took a bite. It wasn't pleasant. They also sell a combination of milk and juice which I had (again by mistake) in Ukraine not so bad, and also a combination of milk and yogurt (another mistake by me). I highly recommend learning the name for milk although at this moment in time I am a big hypocrite because I dint know it yet, but my
estaco translator does.

On another more humble note, I tried to touch base with M to see if there was anything there and was ignored / shot down / told not to call back. I wasn't going to say anything about it but thought in the interest of honesty I would put it in the report.

To answer the question someone asked me about what agencies Phil recommended in St Petersburg..........

Phil offered advice, ideas, stories, theories on Russian thought, examinations of Russian woman attributes and a multitude of things but he did not recommend an agency. You would have to talk to Phil yourself to understand. Its a little like climbing the mountain to talk to the swami or whatever (I am joking a little)
Phil did like Richard in Tyver but that is quite a ways from St Pete.

Yes, there are many beautiful Russian women in fir coats and believe it or not MINI SKIRTS!!!! in January mmmmmmmm..........ochen horosho!!!

For a date I bring a couple coffee table books about San Francisco and California, I also bring some Sees chocolate (the truffles are made in San Francisco). Which gives me something to talk about. I have 5 books but only bring two. They would have to accept an invitation for tea and more chocolate at my apartment to see the rest. (Don’t worry, I am a perfect gentleman for the most part) Then the rest is just what ever charm I have.

I have two dates to attend tonight and I have one date for tomorrow with the possibility for two more. I have to leave to make sure that I am on my game.

Online 2tallbill

Still Trippin
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 02:06:33 AM »
One thing I used the old catching flies with honey approach at the agency. I have noticed that Russian women survive on Tea and Sweets. I brought in a cake from a bakery that I found on the way to the agency. I said the cake was for all of their hard work. Well this turned things around very quickly. Once T was fueled up with cake she was burning up the phone lines like Yana before. She told me she would try to call the girls she hadn't reached before every hour until she got hold of them.

I also have contacted another agency and they are trying to schedule a date with a woman who wrote me in the past. The woman has agreed to meet me but like anything else in Russia it has to go at its own pace to be scheduled. I think I see more cake in the future.

I had a date with a woman named E1 and then a little later with a woman E2 they had the same first names they were both exciting in completely different ways, they were each very different and although I am rarely at the loss of words and actually I am not really now (but I want a night to sleep on this) I am going to go out and walk around (smell any roses I see) and drink a piva.

To be continued.........................

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 03:28:12 AM »
Today I met Elena at the Love Formula agency. I had a date with a gorgeous woman named m3,

M3 was tall, gorgeous, very very exciting. M3 was model beautiful. She would turn heads in any place anywhere any time. We were seated at a nice restaurant by a cute waitress. The waitress spoke good English and took our orders and left. Did I tell you that M3 was beautiful? She was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L !!!!!!!!

In about ten minutes I knew that I would be a miserable man with M3. She would be way too high maintenance. That woman needs a man with a private jet. She couldn't meet me tomorrow because she was flying to Milan to go shopping. My big head told my little head to RUN FOREST RUN!!!!

So M3 and I left the restaurant and what did you think I did?? I kissed M3 on the cheek and sent her off walking. Then I marched back into the restaurant and asked the cute waitress for a date. Her Name is M4, but there are too many Ms so her name is now Sally. Sally didn't get off until 11:00pm, but she had the next day off.

So I am to call Sally at noon and spend some time with her.

I went back to Elena's agency (not Elena's Models). Elena showed me some pictures and I picked out a number of them. Elena had very beautiful eyes. I was going to get a ride back to my flat by a man at the agency. I asked the man if Elena was married and he said that she was in fact married.... and married to him specifically. Well you can't hit the ball out of the park if you don't take any swings. He didn't seem to take any offense that I asked.

To BE continued.........................

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 03:33:36 AM »
Elena asked me extensively about what I didn't like about M2 and she pulled out two different woman for me based on what I said. One was a picture of V whom I had already met and then she highly recommended to me named D. She set it up for 10:00pm.

I had picked a couple of women from her books and one was named R. Elena told me that M2 would be a dream compared to R. I took her word for it.

D showed up right on Ruskaya time. (a half hour late) she was beautiful, exciting, excellent English she actually was an exchange student at University of Cal Davis 1997, which is very close by my house so she knew quite a bit about the bay area. D had all the bells and whistles that were on my future Mrs. Too Tall list. She was funny and had green eyes...............

By the way Elena knew that I asked her husband about her. I have embarrassed myself about a trillion times before so this was no big deal. One time I had mistakenly sent a client my profile, several pictures and a letter introducing myself. (at least it was an unmarried female client)

I will call her (D) some time tomorrow.

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day.........................

sharpbws

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 11:33:04 AM »

Of course finding the free shuttle in a barrage of lying taxi drivers is close to impossible for a man who can’t read a single word of Russian. I went and got something to eat before negotiating a $20 fare between airports.

Of course the price changed as we were leaving but I stuck to my guns, the driver was not going to let me leave the car but I gave him my “I haven’t slept in Days look” and “I have three bites on my leg look” and my “I would like to kill you look if you try to stop me”. One of those looks made the driver suddenly think that the 20 fare was a fair price since we agreed on it before I got into the cab.

You gotta be kidding me?  Complete "rookie" mistake.  Wondering why didn't you think to ask the people at the Aeroflot desk, or any one of the Delta SkyTeam desks and they would have happily directed you to the place where the FREE shuttle departs?  Failing that, there is a marshutka that travels between the terminals and to the Metro Stop Rechnoy Vokzall on the Green line for 40 pyb, or about $1.55.

$20 for a 10-minute taxi ride to the other side of the runway?  Sorry, maybe I shouldn't be so critical.

:-)
Brad

sharpbws

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 11:55:06 AM »
A couple of misc notes. The tap in the bathroom doubles for the sink or the bath you just swivel it where you want it and of course you have the water weasel shower attachment which can spray water all over the bathroom if you are not prepared. The water smells like raw sewage but it only smells like rotten eggs (a definite upgrade) if you let it run for a while. I have been to Mexico a zillion times and utilize safe water habits at all times. I use bottled water even on the rinse cycle when washing dishes.

This is one of the most important things a visitor to St. Petersburg needs to understand.  Because of the declining condition of the piping that delivers water to residences and the presence of the parasite Giardiasis in the water supply (especially in spring-summer-fall months), it is STRONGLY ADVISED that you not drink or brush your teeth with anything but bottled water when visiting this city.  This would also include avoiding water in restaurants and ice with drinks (unless made yourself with bottled water).  Bathing and washing clothes with the local water is fine.

Brad

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »
You gotta be kidding me?  Complete "rookie" mistake.  Wondering why didn't you think to ask the people at the Aeroflot desk, or any one of the Delta SkyTeam desks and they would have happily directed you to the place where the FREE shuttle departs?  Failing that, there is a marshutka that travels between the terminals and to the Metro Stop Rechnoy Vokzall on the Green line for 40 pyb, or about $1.55.

$20 for a 10-minute taxi ride to the other side of the runway?  Sorry, maybe I shouldn't be so critical.

Brad

Or for 40 Rubles any of the regular slower buses Numbers 817, 851 or 851C and takes about 20 minutes. But if you don't know about them and are wanting to make sure you get to SVO 1 or 2 to catch a connection it can be a daunting excercise. :)
Слава Україні

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 01:44:33 PM »

Brad

Yep a total Rookie mistake, getting off the plane they just dump you out. I had not slept in days and the taxi drivers were swarming, it was confusing. They wanted $70-100 and I kept looking, I even had instructions on where to go that I printed off from another site. I couldn't figure it out however.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 01:49:50 PM »
The plot thickens............

Elena who is happily married www.love-formula.com , arranged for me to see two more ladies, I had a phone number from Sally that I was to call at noon, I was also supposed to call D which I really really liked and I also had to pick up my visa registration.

I stopped by the visa registration place and nobody was there. I made some of my calls but couldn't reach Sally. So, I went to Elena's to see if she could help me with a ticket problem. Then while walking to my next date with J, I stop by the Visa registration place and see the guy leaving (the guy looks like Santa Clause). I got Elena to stop him. He was leaving for the holidays but got my registration for me.

J was nice, cute and an aerobics instructor who taught at the University. But to be honest we didn't click for some reason. So, after eating some sashlik (some kind of tasty barbecue) I left her with the cheek kiss. I had a date with a woman named R at 8:00pm so I called and set up a meeting with Sally at 9:30pm.

Wait a moment................

I have somehow managed to set up three dates in one day. I am not used to doing this. I have never done this. Who knows if this is even a wise thing to do. A mans mind is not designed to be pulled in this many directions. I have difficulty walking and chewing gum sometimes.

I meet R2 and we have Tea and some kind of chocolate heaven. I am not a big desert eater but this stuff was fantastic. I really like R2. She is cute, smart, sassy, very personable, very good English and I just plain liked her. I didn't like the idea of cutting the date short to meet with Sally but R2 actually had something she had to leave to go to as well.

So I walk R2 to the Metro kiss on the cheek but I want to call her again for sure. She has something...........

I meet Sally and we go for a walk and she is really cute. Sally has a look and I don't know exactly how to describe it. I guess the look is a Me Tarzan you Jane, vine swinging, drums pounding, feeling like you are truly doing something that is going to involve ropes, cameras and jello.

I take Sally to the local coffee place and we have tea, she doesn't want to eat anything but they have great barbecued shrimp and a Caprice salad. We do through my two books I brought with me and Sally looks at me and asked what else I could show her.

I said ddugh..dd.ddugh. ddd.ddd. dugh. Which I pulled off with very close to zero on the coolness scale. I might have recovered with the I have chocolate from San Francisco and three more books but I doubt it. If my teenage son saw this I would have rated well below zero.

We went back to my apartment to look at the new books and I had already developed a few ideas about the chocolate. (I couldn't have two stuttering incidents in less than a hour I need to be prepared).

About half way through the book I have on the Wine country to the North of San Francisco and only a few bites into the chocolate things begin to develop that are not proper for a gentleman to write about in a public forum............

BUT..........................

SHE TELLS ME SHE IS MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have made about six million mistakes in my life. But I DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH MARRIED WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I am getting reassembled and getting her reassembled and making my way to the door she said that this is Russia and its not a big deal. Well I am still at only six million mistakes. I put her into a taxi before six million and one could happen. If someone wants to destroy their marriage then they can do it without my help.

To BE continued.......................

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 02:19:16 PM »
Warning mushy stuff coming up!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my dates I kind of came up with a routine,

A couple of things that I brought that I haven't noticed before were a

I brought a pad of paper. I can write out a word or draw something to explain it. I do this at work all the time it worked wonders here.

A couple of coffee table books of the area, and I came up with a little description of each picture. Alcatraz and Ghiradellis chocolates got the most attention.

I have a couple of Russian language jokes I would tell. Feel free to steal them for your own uses.

My first one was about my theory on Russian and English language.
I believe that English words are primarily formed with the tongue and
I believe that Russian words are primarily formed with the lips.
They would generally agree with this....
My punch line was

"Since you speak both you must be a great kisser."

I also told them that I thought that by kissing a native speaking Russian woman that I would greatly improve my Russian. You know to help my lips learn to form the words.

I tell her that I have theories on most things.

Warning Mushy stuff alert!!!!!!

I have written below about some of my mushy feelings about things like love, a happy wife etc. If you don't have a strong stomach for this kind of stuff just go on to the next post.

You have been warned!!!

Then a little later If I liked her I would expand on my serious theories about keeping a happy wife.
It goes like this:

I have theories on keeping a happy wife. A woman is a complicated and fragile creature. A famous author wrote a book that Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus. (I have not read this book) He is correct in this assessment. So my theory is that you should ignore a woman at your peril. A woman is NOT a doormat (to wipe your feet on), or a maid, or a servant. If you treat her like a servant, a maid or doormat your life will be like very uninspiring as a result. If however you kiss her, surprise her, call her to tell you how you appreciate and care for her, tell her in the presence of others how wonderful she is, and love her like life itself depends on it. You will have a most enthusiastic, creative, passionate and, exciting wife that can not wait to get her man into a private situation. She will make her husband smile throughout the day (and sing her name at night) and call her again to tell her how wonderful she is. It is a self perpetuating prophecy. Love begets more love which begets more love. It is simple if you give a woman love, surprises, respect, care, and kisses you will get a tigress wife, a confidant, and a woman who will slay a multitude of problems throughout her day and still think of creative ways to make her man happy. Some days a woman will be sad, afraid, or gloomy for no reason. It is something that happens due to the nitrogen content in the air or maybe the rotation of the earth or possibly due to the magnetic aspects of the North Pole or something that men are not smart enough to understand. If on these days a husband spends a little extra time to let her know how much he cares about her and how much he needs and loves his wife she will bounce back to her brave and happy self in short order.

This is my formal written theory so, when just talking about it I sometimes leave out things like singing his name at night etc.

Also please NOTE that I said ******IF I LIKED HER****** I didn't talk about this unless I really liked them.

Usually by this time I have a very interested Ruskaya and we talk about a number of things.

to be continued..............

the saga continues........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elena calls and tells me I have two more dates.
J2 first and V2 second. J2 and V2 are both highly recommended by Elena.

I go to flip on the light in my flat and the light makes a popping sound and goes out. Damn I think now my room will be dark. But its worse than that. The power is out in the entire flat.

I have a flashlight but now I have to find it. It becomes progressively more important that I find it because my bladder is about to burst. I somehow find it in the dark and finish my call to nature. I bathe, shave, find clothes and get dressed in the dark. To my relief I spilled very little blood during the shaving routine. I can't iron my clothes however and put on the least Rumpled ones I can find.

I am red green color blind which is much worse in the dark. I have a couple of systems to keep track of what colors go with what, but in the dark all bets are off.

I luckily have my cell phone fully charged, Elena calls and says she is outside to pick me up for my next date. I am ready with at least 4 to 5 seconds to spare.

I meet with J2 and she has to watch her sister's children later so I mistakenly thought she said that we need to go to the Metro, my apartment is between the Metro and the Moscowitz train station. So I walk us in that direction. J2 is tall just under six feet tall and attractive and very interested in me. She knew every fact and word on my profile and her English was quite good.

We were able to talk as if we knew each other for some time but the problem was that I was now comparing everyone I meet to R2 now and there was just more electricity with R2. I then realized that I had led her in the opposite direction to where she needed to go. She had thought that I was just leading her there to get closer to my apartment. Maybe I was doing that subconsciously but I really thought I was doing a good deed.

We had tea and cake (the staples of the Ruskaya diet) and I walked her back to where she should have been headed. Kiss on the cheek and off I go to meet Elena and V2 which is hours away. I call Andre the apartment manager and he doesn't act like he really cares about the light not working in the apartment. I even used the "I think I smell smoke" which will get any non Russian apartment manager running.

To be continued...........

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 03:44:23 PM »
Elena calls and tells me I have two more dates.
J2 first and V2 second. J2 and V2 are both highly recommended by Elena.

I go to flip on the light in my flat and the light makes a popping sound and goes out. Damn I think now my room will be dark. But its worse than that. The power is out in the entire flat.

I have a flashlight but now I have to find it. It becomes progressively more important that I find it because my bladder is about to burst. I somehow find it in the dark and finish my call to nature. I bathe, shave, find clothes and get dressed in the dark. To my relief I spilled very little blood during the shaving routine. I can't iron my clothes however and put on the least Rumpled ones I can find.

I am red green color blind which is much worse in the dark. I have a couple of systems to keep track of what colors go with what, but in the dark all bets are off.

I luckily have my cell phone fully charged, Elena calls and says she is outside to pick me up for my next date. I am ready with at least 4 to 5 seconds to spare.

I meet with J2 and she has to watch her sister’s children later so I mistakenly thought she said that we need to go to the Metro, my apartment is between the Metro and the Moscowitz train station. So I walk us in that direction. J2 is tall just under six feet tall and attractive and very interested in me. She knew every fact and word on my profile and her English was quite good.

We were able to talk as if we knew each other for some time but the problem was that I was now comparing everyone I meet to R2 now and there was just more electricity with R2. I then realized that I had led her in the opposite direction to where she needed to go. She had thought that I was just leading her there to get closer to my apartment. Maybe I was doing that subconsciously but I really thought I was doing a good deed.

We had tea and cake (the staples of the Ruskaya diet) and I walked her back to where she should have been headed. Kiss on the cheek and off I go to meet Elena and V2 which is hours away. I call Andre the apartment manager and he doesn’t act like he really cares about the light not working in the apartment. I even used the "I think I smell smoke" which will get any non Russian apartment manager running.

To be continued...........

In the dark.......and far from home

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 03:49:08 PM »
In the dark.......and far from home

I forgot a little story a couple of days earlier. After one of my dates I had the guy at the hotel call me a taxi and negotiate the fare. I did this because everything has two prices a low price for Russians and a high price for me and other foreigners. A taxi soon showed up and I jumped inside. He would not drive away with me. Eventually he was able to tell me he was waiting for someone else.

So the guy standing at the door flags down a car (every car in the FSU is a potential taxi). He negotiates the fare and sends me on my way. The driver of the private car says something to me @TKRGBM<QBNIIO( and then )(&)*NONOO**Y(&GB) ) )U UUU.........He quickly realizes that I am not a Ruskiy and makes a couple of turns and drops me off where I am supposed to meet Elena.

I pay the guy get out and he is gone. He just dumped me on a random street. It doesn't immediately dawn on me but when it did I had a big barrel laugh about it. I use my ability to ask for directions to the many cute Ruskaya’s that I saw all over, and about 25 minutes later I arrive at Elena's agency. She was very concerned. I didn’t give it a second thought.

Back to where I left the T/R...........

I call Elena at www.love-formula.com and she calls the apartment manager as a favor because she did not help me get the flat to begin with. Elena helped me with a ticket problem as well even though she did not get the tickets for me.

I guess what I am saying is that she is nice and helpful even when she isn't getting a commission for something.

Elena gets Andre (the apartment guy) to agree to come by the apartment and check it out. I was supposed to check out at noon originally but I talked to Andre the day before and he agreed that I could stay until 6:00pm since I was leaving at 7:00pm to go to the airport and fly to Moscow.

I try to pack in the dark and basically just stuffed everything into my bags. I had bought a few things while I was there like an iron, some knives because all flats that I have ever been to in the FSU have lousy knives. I like to cook and having a couple of knives is essential.

Before you know it Elena calls and is ready to pick me up for a meeting with V2. One detail about Elena, she likes her office and her cars to be at least warm enough to bake bread in. I know a number of women who are the same way. I am wearing a sweater and I'm sweating.

I meet V2 and she’s a doll. She is funny, sassy and is able to throw me off my game a couple of times with humor or teasing. She gave me a book of Russian short stories written in English and we had a good time. She has to leave because of a previous thing that she had to go to. Otherwise I would have been happy to spend the rest of my few hours with her. I give her a kiss on the cheek and I am off hoofing it back to my flat.

I decide to give R2 a call and see if I can't meet her again for tea. We set it up to meet outside my flat and walk to a nearby cafe. I need another shower from the power walking and the ride in Elena’s mobile bakery. André shows up and I explain what I did and what happened.

I know slightly less about electricity than I do about time travel. I looked in the panel before and there were only two circuit breakers. I tried them both. The power would come on for 1/2 a second then be right back off. I know that they use 220 here and decided that having been shocked many times with 110 here I will avoid messing around any further.

Andre changed the light bulb in the room and went back to flick the circuit breaker again. I see a poof and some light in the panel and the power goes out. Remember I know very little about electricity but I think that maybe there might be some dust inside the switch so I go over and blow on the switch and flick the switch again.

So I am a genius and the power is restored! So I gather my things to get in the shower plug in my iron and cell phone and get ready to jump in the bath.
Andre is not capable of leaving this alone. He flips the switch a number of times and now we are in darkness again.

I thought the cab thing was funny. I thought that a million things about my trip were funny. But in total darkness, and smelling like I rolled in something dead, and with a date in a few minutes, and when it really did not need to be dark at all I was able to maintained my composure. I rarely lose my temper and I was going to simply take a fast bath / shower with the water weasel attachment while André flipped the switch a hundred more times.

BUT.........When Andre asked me to pay extra for staying later than noon that my amazing powers that I have to keep my cool disappeared. My head exploded and using not nearly enough Russian for most people to understand I explained to Audrey that he had D*rmo for brains (Sh*t) and that flying pigs, snow balls from hell and him having sex with two super models were all going to happen way before he got more money from me.

Andre went back to the circuit breakers and concentrated on it like the answers to all the problems of the Universe were inside instead of two circuit breakers. I still to this day can't believe what happened. He flipped the switch and the power was back on.

I gave him the extra money and showered, put on an ironed shirt and met R2 outside for some tea and cake. Andre will be meeting a couple of super models at any time now.

Too be continued...........

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 03:57:03 PM »
***Warning boring traveling part of trip report to follow***

Due to the fact that I packed primarily in the dark I just stuffed all my clothes in my various bags without any concern for folding or wrinkles. I did take make sure I had a clean set of clothing in my carry on bag for the arduous trip home. Elena and her husband gave me a ride to the airport in St Petersburg and went inside to make sure I was in the right spot. I arrived in Moscow at nearly Midnight with a 7 hour layover.

I briefly entertained the idea of taking a taxi to see Red Square or something but I realized that scrambling around the last several days was beginning to take a toll and I had a very long trip ahead of me. Aeroflot has a transfer booth with two babushkas working in it. I talked to them and they warned me to avoid the cab drivers. I smiled and chatted with them while waiting for the baggage to arrive.

After collecting my bags I went back to the booth to make sure I could find the free shuttle (see my rookie mistake from an earlier post). When they realized my plan was to stay in the other airport all night they said that they could find a cheap hotel ($60) on the way to the airport. After looking at my tickets they said it was too early to take the free transport to the airport and called and set up a taxi (100 rubles) to pick me up at the hotel and take me to the airport at 5:00am.

Then one of the babushkas decided to walk me through the taxi drivers and wait for the transport with me in the rain. It’s another case where being friendly and talking to people has paid dividends. She got into the bus and told the bus driver where to drop me.

I slept for 3 glorious hours, showered and got into the taxi and arrived at the airport. Here is where stuffing my clothes into my bags in the dark paid off. Every single passenger had to put their bags on a table and every single item was removed and checked. Then I just stuffed the already wrinkled clothes back in the bag drawing a few laughs from the security folks.

I asked for an exit row seat but was told no at the check in counter (not fluent in Russian). I was seated again with a woman and a child and thoughts of biting again entered my mind. I helped a couple really short babushkas lift their bags into the overhead bins and charmed a flight attendant by doing so and she put me in an exit row seat by a cute Ruskaya named E5. She spoke excellent English and we had a number of nice conversations. (I think the flight was 11 or so hours)

I had a 6 hour 30 minute layover at JFK (I changed my shirt in the bathroom) an hour wait on the tarmac and a 5 and a half hour flight to SFO and an hour drive to get home to my bed. Then I drove 12 hours to pick up my son and after a few hours sleep a quick 12 hour drive back home. I slept like a baby.

I will review my notes and post a random notes / summation soon.
Thanks again for all the nice words and pms.

Offline mirror

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2007, 03:47:21 AM »
2tallbill

Hello,

Maybe I lost some posts here ...did you find your soul mate?

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 01:10:54 AM »
2tallbill

Hello,

Maybe I lost some posts here ...did you find your soul mate?

The plot thickens later on......................

Registration