The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Just back from Odessa! Don't go to Ukraine!  (Read 45442 times)

Offline fk-ukraine

Just back from Odessa! Don't go to Ukraine!
« on: August 24, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »

Hi guys
I am writting from Odessa, I am leaving luckily tomorrow. I have being in Odessa for 6 days and here is my story:
I came with a friend, we are both from Spain. At first sight we should be ideal for ukranian girls since we are economicaly independant, high education, running our companies , we live in Barcelona considered 1 of the top 5 best citys in the world to live and we are young (30 years old) and atractive (190 cms tall, atheltic build and lets say that we are quite succesful with european girls). So, if ukranian girls are looking for someone abroad we should be ideal candidates.
We just wanted to give it a try. I have being keeping correspondance for several months with just 3 ladies. And once here I have confirm that as we say in spain, you cannot get a 'duro' for 4 pessetas (the old spanish coint which was 5 pessetas value).
Here goes the story in short version...
First of all, once you get to the Odessa airport you realize that you are I the 3rd world, there was person there waiting for us with our name written with a pencil on a used paper. The temperature was suffocating, over 30 grades everyday with no wind for the whole week. We got in his 20 years old car with crash glasses and no seatbelt. The adventure starts, everybody drives crazy in Ukraine. We have taken taxis at night that run over 120 km per hour within the city! Well, we got to the apartment alive in Ekaterinskaya street, the entrance was frightening but once in the apartment the apartment was correct but we paid twice the price. Once in Ukraine you realize that foreigners are not welcome at all, I have being traveling all over the world, from Japan to Israel, from Africa to Southamerica and I have never come across with such a bad service and anti foreigner’s attitude. Everybody is rude, everybody tries to get as much as they can from foreigners. I thought that an ex communist society should have great values but, for God sake, I have never come across with such a materialistic society!  There is no middle class, just the poor and the outrageous rich! Moreover 95% of the ukranian people don’t know anything from the rest of the world, they thing that Odessa is great and all are blind up by their ignorance. And yes, girls are beautiful, really beautiful but as we also say in Spain, not all that shines is gold…And after my trip to Odessa, I honestly value more than ever European girls.
Well, here is the story, and obviously implies Anastasia website, if we wanted to give it a try why not with the best girls, so we had correspondence with the best girls of that site. Unfortunately, in the last minute one couldn’t meet cause her grandfather had a heart attack and another had to travel with her mom even though she knew my visit dates for a month…a bit strange for someone craving for her prince…
And, here is my first meeting. I was prudent and I didn’t bring to the first meeting any present though I had one for her. I wanted to meet her as a normal date, for a supper in a nice and calm place but the translator contact me and she told me that we had to meet much earlier cause she live far from the center. So, we meet at 4 pm, with 35 grades and no wind, and obviously I was dress in a very elegant way and not summer like. I was waiting by the Mc Donalds (were all stupid foreigners meet ‘their  darlings’). The translator was the first to come and looked quite surprised when she saw me, and by the way she is quite attractive and very young. We start talking and waiting for the lady to come. Finally she came, the beautiful Yuliya, but certainly looked a bit older and with some more kg than the pics but anyway a beautiful lady. We went all together for a drink and we start chatting, the situation looked like a Woody Allen movie. The lady was boring and I found myself in an artificial meeting, everything smell so bad, then they wanted me to go for a walk, then with a boat to show me the sights of Odessa and so on. I expend 5 hours with them, and the translator and consequently Anastasia gets money for everyhour of translating service. I had to pay for everything, I was willing to pay as a gentleman but the point is that I had never the chance to say I pay for you, they just ask and ask for money for everything. So, in 5 hours I had expended more than 200 dollars! Anyway I had fun, since once you realize that everything is theater you try to discover how everything works and how they get the money. For instance, when I paid the 3 tickets for the boat (60 dollars) the translator went out of the boat just before departure by the ticket guy and I am sure that part of the money came back to the agency. As Yuliya seem not to speak any English (which I doubt) and I saw all the farce  I started flittering with the translator more and more. When we were about to finish our supper in the Japanese restaurant (expensive one of course) Yuliya had suddenly to leave to meet her mom. So, I couldn’t finish my glass of wine and I had to pay again, her belly was already full so she didn’t need me anymore for that night.  But just before leaving, when I thought thanks God they won’t steal me any more money…Yuliya ask me for more money to pay her taxi back home… Then the translator told me that Yuliya had enjoy our meeting, that she felt attracted by me, that I seem such a nice person and bla bla bla. I agreed that indeed that I am a great person but I didn’t correspond with any greetings to her. So, she left and then  I had the chance to talk to the interpreter alone, so I ask if she wanted to go for a while and she agreed. To sum up I went straight to the point that I thought that everything was a comedy, the girl was so shocked and impress since I was laughing and being totally honest about the impression of our theater meeting. So, I ended up talking and going out with the interpreter as a ‘friend’ till 7 o clock in the morning…
Well, now its 4 o clock here in Odessa, still many stories to tell very reveling, as my story will be quite long I will write several chapters so I can keep you all inform about what is all about. Just before finishing I will let you know that few hours ago I was having supper with my friend and Yuliya pass by our restaurant terrace with his boyfriend…haha. A bit strange to find a lady looking for his beloved abroad while she have another beloved in Odessa…
I will finish all my chapters with…don’t go to Ukraine! Haha
To be continued…

Please, don't go to Ukraine

Offline Donhollio

Re: Just back from Odessa! Don't go to Ukraine!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 07:37:56 PM »
 Ahh Odessa agency girls ! :laugh:   Yeah I have had my share of the egotistical ,arrogant stupid agency girls of Odessa.   Sorry to hear you went to Odessa using that agency, it's notorious on these forums.If you had found a better agency.... anyone is better...almost you and your friend would of saved much money and had a good time in Odessa. Yes it's very possible, Odessa is a great city , when your with normal Odessa girls, but they will not be found in the agency's for the most part. 
 I say this as a guy who has spent months in that city, the hot chicks mostly come from out of town during the summer season. In a week they will be gone, and the city will slow down to a pace found in most of the other UA cities.

You will get taken for the most that agency can get from you, apartments, taxi's, tours you name it, they will live for today and not worry about customer service, as it has yet to find any purpose in their eyes.
 I have met many great Odessa girls, the best ones are not in any agency that I have come to know. My friend runs a English/Spanish school there and I have met some of the best girls that city has to offer  through him.

So remember don't slag ( insult)  all of Odessa's girls, you just met the worst that it has to offer, scammers and prodaters. One thing you need to know is Odessa has for the most part been regularly invaded by westerners for the past decade. The girls know they can get loads of shit from us if the guy allows it. Yanks seem to toss the money towards them as if it's on fire. 
So the dishonest A-web girls take it all while they can. And yes for some unknown reason to me, many see Odessa as the greatest city in the world.  Last time it happened I was in a car with another guy,and the tour guide boasted how beautiful the city was,while we passed garbage piled sky high and laying near some buildings that would fall over if you leaned on them. But to her it was the best !

The city centre is nice, pre CCCP of course, but even it's plagued by complete pieces of shit with holes in the roof.   I hope your name will remain, but if you had searched out this forum before you flew into Odessa, you both would of saved time and had a much more enjoyable trip.  I just hope next time when the girl wants sushi you do as I did and end the date,she ain't into you, she's just a bitch looking for a meal she can't afford.  I left 3 of them at the table, and told her tomorrow I will call. Never did, she wasn't worth the 1 UAH p/m  on the phone.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of your bitter trip  :popcorn:

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 08:01:24 PM »
Hello FU...

(I could not resist the abbreviated moniker)

Sorry you had a bad experience with Pro Daters in Odessa - I am also looking forward to the rest of your trip report...

I worked in Boston, Massachusetts USA for many years and there is not enough time to share the dating horrors I have experienced there - we don't call them pro-daters, just city women looking for their next ex-husband, you know the kind that tell you that they love you dearly and then just take all your stuff.

It sucks to be cleaned out when you have good intentions - I got sucked into the sick mama endless letter translation scam by a joker and his FSU wife in with a small Oklahoma agency a few years back... stopped the clock at $500.00 USD...  man was I naive and dumb.

In the mean time check out www.jimslists.com for a good overview of scam agencies versus reputable ones and dating scams in general.

Offline Cestmoi

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:58:53 PM »
I can well understand your disappointment.

You just did not do your "homework" and did not learn what you should have learned before starting your trip :innocent:

1. Odessa is not rude towards foreigners - it's just the specific local humor - very direct and sharp, with a tiny bit of irony and sarcasm.

2. People in Odessa are not trying to get double price from foreigners. They are just trying to negotiate the best price in a very "specific" way. Read Isaak Babel (Solom Aleihem too) and you will understand what I am talking about. Odessa has not much changed its communication style since then.

3. Driving - yes, Odessa is known for its crazy drivers. It looks like nobody except trams follow the road rules.

4. HEAT.
you must be kidding me. Did google ban the words "weather forecast"? With "temperature" and "humidity" altogether? Or did you expect that city should lower the temperature of environment for your visit?

5. Dressing up when you should dress down - well.... you could have tried to find the taxi with AC. Possibly for extra pay. Or you could have arranged the meeting in a different way. Poor planning from your side.

6. Girls. No comments. You were unlucky in your choice.

7. Arrogant people? No, they are not arrogant. They just love their city and are proud of it. It is a wonderful city, and it has great historical and cultural value.

8. Paying too much? Hm. Maybe you should have checked the prices before starting your trip.

9. What exactly were you looking for? For a date? There are enough of physically attractive guys locally, and enough of foreigners willing to have sex with local girls. So you were in no way special, sorry for disappointing you.

If you were looking for a serious relationship  - I am sorry about your unfortunate experience. But to tell you the truth - the big deal of it is just in your head, it's your negative attitude. Don't be shallow and don't discuss on forum how much your date put in her belly. Be a man. It was your choice to invite her to the restaurant. She did not promice you that she would go to your flat with you after the restaurant. And yes, you've chosen wrong women.

To sum up: you are pissed that you are so attractive and wonderful did not get a date who would love you for who you are? Could not you approach some other girls locally? What exactly your expectations were? That girls will follow you around Odessa and would profess undying love from first sight to you?
You do not have taste for real adventure, and you do not appreciate good humor.

Overall - nice story. You clearly have talent in writing, and do it in a very passionate way  :-*

What nice have you seen in Odessa? Tell something good, please...
I was hoping so much to visit it this summer, but didn't have time...

If you are still online and reading it - go to the little park by Passage and Deribasovskaya... see the nice fountain and strolling people there... just walk the streets, go to the sea, enjoy the city... it's so beautiful and romantic... i love this city SO MUCH....  :-*

highly recommend "Odessa stories" http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaak_B%C3%A1bel

Offline Cestmoi

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 09:33:42 PM »
But to her it was the best !

http://levkonoe.livejournal.com/2786674.html?mode=reply

isn't it adorable?

some of these paintings are in Roerich museum in Odessa:
http://amara.paragon.ru/russian/photo1.htm

Offline AkMike

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 09:46:52 PM »
Looks like you got in over your head right off the get-go. Was this your first trip to the FSU in search of a woman? Youb need to do much more homework.
 You've gotten your feet wet..  Now play in the rain.
Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 10:03:15 PM »

If you are still online and reading it - go to the little park by Passage and Deribasovskaya... see the nice fountain and strolling people there... just walk the streets, go to the sea, enjoy the city... it's so beautiful and romantic... i love this city SO MUCH....  :-*

Are you from Odessa? I was only there for 2 days, but I would love to go back....

Offline Cestmoi

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 10:09:38 PM »
Are you from Odessa?

unfortunately no. I was nearly born there, but my parents changed their mind in the last minute, and went to live to a different city..  which does not prevent me from loving Odessa and visiting it..  :innocent:

I was only there for 2 days, but I would love to go back....

*sigh*  :-*

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 10:19:34 PM »
Are you from Odessa?

unfortunately no. I was nearly born there, but my parents changed their mind in the last minute, and went to live to a different city..  which does not prevent me from loving Odessa and visiting it..  :innocent:

I was only there for 2 days, but I would love to go back....

*sigh*  :-*

So what city did you live in? I've travelled all over south west Ukraine.

I can't imagine what this guy would have been like in central Ukraine, without the Odessa's ocean breeze.....

Offline Cestmoi

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 10:34:31 PM »

So what city did you live in? I've travelled all over south west Ukraine.

I can't imagine what this guy would have been like in central Ukraine, without the Odessa's ocean breeze.....

Ternopil and Kiev. To the South of Ukraine I traveled for vacations, to visit relatives, and for business trips.

Offline Chillidog

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 10:47:16 PM »
biggest mistake made---besides arrrogance (in your opinion of your looks and your attitude/behavior) is this trip was started and revolved around "AnastasiaWeb" right there nothing good will come of it
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-Dalai Lama-

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 11:00:37 PM »
Quote from: Voyager

He would of baked and choked to death if he was in Zaporozhye  :chuckle:

OP here is a good girl,she was never in an agency.  The back of her shirt said, "If you show me yours"  :laugh:   The cute part was she thought it was about sport  :chuckle: Being that it was an ADIDAS shirt. 

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 11:09:01 PM »
biggest mistake made---besides arrrogance....

Maybe total lack of planning....

I was staying in XEPCOH for a couple of weeks, it was way too hot. I bought a fan for $8....

While you have time during the day find an AIR CONDITIONED restaurant, and have the girl come to meet you there.

Quote from: Cestmoi
9. What exactly were you looking for? For a date? There are enough of physically attractive guys locally, and enough of foreigners willing to have sex with local girls. So you were in no way special, sorry for disappointing you.

This comment might be pertinent, if the girls got the impression that this was just a visiting playboy....

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 11:13:08 PM »

OP here is a good girl,she was never in an agency. 

What, are you pimping now Don?  :chuckle:

www,bestof the Peg.com  ;D

I can make fun of you 'Peggers, I'm working out of Portage this summer...  :scared0005:

Offline cdrp

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 11:21:04 PM »
I can well understand your disappointment.

You just did not do your "homework" and did not learn what you should have learned before starting your trip :innocent:

1. Odessa is not rude towards foreigners - it's just the specific local humor - very direct and sharp, with a tiny bit of irony and sarcasm.

2. People in Odessa are not trying to get double price from foreigners. They are just trying to negotiate the best price in a very "specific" way. Read Isaak Babel (Solom Aleihem too) and you will understand what I am talking about. Odessa has not much changed its communication style since then.

3. Driving - yes, Odessa is known for its crazy drivers. It looks like nobody except trams follow the road rules.

4. HEAT.
you must be kidding me. Did google ban the words "weather forecast"? With "temperature" and "humidity" altogether? Or did you expect that city should lower the temperature of environment for your visit?

5. Dressing up when you should dress down - well.... you could have tried to find the taxi with AC. Possibly for extra pay. Or you could have arranged the meeting in a different way. Poor planning from your side.

6. Girls. No comments. You were unlucky in your choice.

7. Arrogant people? No, they are not arrogant. They just love their city and are proud of it. It is a wonderful city, and it has great historical and cultural value.

8. Paying too much? Hm. Maybe you should have checked the prices before starting your trip.

If you were looking for a serious relationship  - I am sorry about your unfortunate experience. But to tell you the truth - the big deal of it is just in your head, it's your negative attitude. Don't be shallow and don't discuss on forum how much your date put in her belly. Be a man. It was your choice to invite her to the restaurant. She did not promice you that she would go to your flat with you after the restaurant. And yes, you've chosen wrong women.

To sum up: you are pissed that you are so attractive and wonderful did not get a date who would love you for who you are? Could not you approach some other girls locally? What exactly your expectations were? That girls will follow you around Odessa and would profess undying love from first sight to you?
You do not have taste for real adventure, and you do not appreciate good humor.

Overall - nice story. You clearly have talent in writing, and do it in a very passionate way  :-*

Couldn't have said it better!

I just returned from Odessa and had a wonderful time.  Of course, I did my homework.....Unlike some.

I find it unusual that FU would complain about Odessa when you consider his country of origin.  Anyone been to Barcelona recently?  Beautiful women and the rudest population on earth!  As far as the treatment in Odessa, you can get exactly the same in any large city on the planet.  3rd world Country...don't think so.  I would direct you to any of the countries on the planet populated by the Spanish if you want to see 3rd world.  And of course with 80 degrees and 80% humidity, the weather is so much better in Barcelona...uh oops, it seems it is EXACTLY the same as Odessa! 

My take on the write up?  If FU is so good looking, and wanting a life partner (since that is what most of these women are looking for) he sure went about it with a funny attitude.  30 years old is a prime age for any western society, and the ability to find a good woman at that age is very high.  Why would a 30 year old, good looking guy, head to the FSU to find a woman unless he was looking for easy prey.  A lot of talk about looks and not much about what he is looking for in a woman, or in life for that matter.  This sounds like a ST failure to start, and now a sour grapes write up due to a lack of homework and reality check on what he really wanted.   If a man is genuinely looking for a partner, and exchanging meaningful correspondence for several months, how can he have so many failures right off the start?  I didn't see anything about phone calls or recent pictures being echanged.   I can understand about bad luck, there are plenty of stories on this forum that chronicle just that.  To pick a handle like FU and write up a story like this begs any reader to question not only the motive, but the obvious level of ability the author may, or may not, have to ever be successful in the pursuit of any woman that does not throw herself at his feet in awe of his obvious great looks and financial position.  As far as the palpable level of arrogance of the author, and the entirely subordinate nature he requires of the women he seeks, well that would go without saying.

Seems to me FU at least got his handle right...the abbreviation that is.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 11:26:24 PM »
Hmmm...

I wonder if it took your 'date' any longer to sum up your attitude than it took us?

Frankly mate, it is really unlikely that you are god's gift to women - especially if you think that you are!

You will have come across as just another dark skinned sex tourist from a not-rich country who is acting like a tuppeny ha'penny millionaire and it ain't like the place is short of those during the summer. ;)

Here's what to do:
Set reasonable expectations.
Do proper planning.
Remember some humility.
Implement the plan.

Enjoy the rest of your stay and next time do the job better.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 11:32:17 PM »

What, are you pimping now Don?  :chuckle:

www,bestof the Peg.com  ;D

I can make fun of you 'Peggers, I'm working out of Portage this summer...  :scared0005:

OP here is a good girl,she was never in an agency. 

Portage La Prairie ?    No pimpin, she's an Odessite, taken in front of the night club IBIZA  along the Arkadia beach.  I just like the tee shirt :-*  The kukuruza came later  ;)

I just hope FU won't FO and not come back,let's be nice he went for the first time, it's a cluster  :censored:  of a learning curve...remember ?  He may be high on himself ,but let's see the remainder of his TR before we have him drawn and quartered ::)

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 11:40:25 PM »
Portage La Praire ? Yep!  :biggrin:

To pick a handle like FU and write up a story like this begs any reader to question not only the motive, but the obvious level of ability the author may, or may not, have to ever be successful in the pursuit of any woman that does not throw herself at his feet in awe of his obvious great looks and financial position.  As far as the palpable level of arrogance of the author, and the entirely subordinate nature he requires of the women he seeks, well that would go without saying.

Seems to me FU at least got his handle right...the abbreviation that is.

Gotta say I agree with you on this one. That user name is going to get tiresome real fast.....

let's see the remainder of his TR before we have him drawn and quartered

Changing the user name to something less offensive would help. It doesn't sound like he really wants to go back...

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 12:03:29 AM »
Changing the user name to something less offensive would help. It doesn't sound like he really wants to go back...

FU - Welcome to the forum. Profile>Account related settings is where you change your display name to something more suitable. Please do it today.  ::)
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline BCKev

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 01:02:01 AM »
Sounds like you went in completely unprepared to meet three women you didn't know at all. Anastasia does have prodaters and plays many games, but they also have many decent women. I suspect that you didn't have direct contact with all of the women you planned to meet. Talking with them without Anastasia involved could have saved you the disappointment. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Remember you are the one that took the money from your wallet to pay for everything. No sense bitching about it. I'd suggest that you take the lead on your dates, and not be led around. If you think a woman is making unreasonable demands you have the option of saying no and sending her on her way. I would also suggest that you find and use an independent interpreter: one that works for and is responsible to you, not to any agency.

Its been over three years since I was in Odessa. I liked the city, had a good time, and would love to go back there again!

:party0011:  I'm off to Ukraine again Tuesday morning to see my sweetheart!   :-*

I would appreciate if you changed your handle, I find it offensive.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 03:12:56 AM »
FU

Seems you just got caught up in a typical AWeb scam, as have thousands of others before you. Don't blame the women of Odessa and Ukraine or tar them all with the same brush just because you didn't do your homework long before you booked your trip.

Cestmoi, Ak and lcdrp have said it all, but as you are already on the ground over there, why not dump the agencies and just go looking where you would in any other city, although  maybe your intentions are not quite that honorable, as already suggested by others  ::)
Слава Україні

Offline LoyalMan

• ChiNazi scientists have invented Wuhan Virus Test Agent with accuracy rate close to 0%
  • Spouses Country: Neptune
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 03:42:31 AM »
fu`ckukraine,

You have my sympathy!  My experience is similar to yours!  The difference is: the women I met are in Asia.  It is not Ukraine's fault!  :biggrin:

Offline Nando

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 08:24:20 AM »
Hello my Spanish friend ;D

So you want to go for the model look girls, well nothing wrong but to find one with a good heart it takes time and effort and for sure only can be found on Anastasia by miracle.

Stop boasting about your looks some girls there prefer guys like you and me other prefer anglo saxon looking guys so just go for the ones who likes guys like us :laugh:

Ukraine is indeed third world but that is even part of the fun going there, where else do i ride a bus for 8 hours ::)

Agree with you about their ignorance of the rest of the world. My ex GF mother thought Portugal was like Morroco :chuckle:

I am going back there to meet a hot blonde after coming back from meeting another blonde in an Eastern country :saint:

It was just your  first and that is always a shock. I will be there with my Sweedish friend having fun. He just stopped trying to find a good one and if things go wrong we can always meet several girls.

Hell that i can't do in Barcelona man even if I like your city, as I do. Why do you think me and so many guys keep coming back? :chuckle:

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 11:58:12 AM »
Ukraine is indeed third world

I think they call it second world actually.  :-X

Having said that, I once holidayed in a place where everything was half built (or abandoned), the food was horrible, the service was awful, the local government corrupt, it was too hot and muggy, the AC didn't always work.........

It was Marbella, in Spain.  :laugh:

I had to drive a few miles up the coast to Gibraltar to get back into the first world.  :innocent:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 12:18:47 PM »

Having said that, I once holidayed in a place where everything was half built (or abandoned), the food was horrible, the service was awful, the AC didn't always work.

Same for me, but they also tried to vacuum the carpet, this was yesterday near the  "Arc the Triumph", in Paris, France.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria