The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: RW Fever check it and see....gotta fever of 103...And other Random musings  (Read 51821 times)

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
Re: RW Fever check it and see....gotta fever of 103...And other Random musings
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2008, 11:07:53 AM »
The most interesting things always happen when you have a group of Russians drinking heavily..

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2008, 01:41:04 PM »
Tip of the Day!

First letter writing suggestions, I would keep the first letter to two pages or less.

Part One
Make a list of all the interesting facts about you, where you live, your
interests etc think of your letter as a sales brochure with you as the product.

Part Two
Make a list of everything you would like to have in the future Mrs (your name here).   
Then think of questions that can find out if this person has these
qualities or not. Don't put all these questions in your first letter,
you don't want your first letter to be like a pelvic exam for her.

Part Three
Consider having Mrs Manny translate the letter for you, along with any ideas she 
might have and save the result on your hard drive. It is very very likely that the first
letter you send will not be the future Mrs (your name here), and you can send your intro letter
to more than one woman. Make sure you change the NAME !!! !! An RW named Natasha
does not Enjoy reading a letter addressed to Tatiana. (Believe me I know)

In first several letters send a different photo of you in a natural setting.
After exchanging a few letters get her phone number. Every single RW on the planet has
a cell phone. If she doesn't give you the number MOVE ON. If you need help translating the
first call, Mrs Manny or others can do this for you.
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online 2tallbill

Tip of the day !!! What to do
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2008, 10:08:19 PM »
I am sure that you have read this elsewhere, but RW will
expect you to be much more chivalrous than Western Women.

They will expect you to:
1. Open the door for them this includes car doors!
2. help them with their jacket / coat
3. carry their bags (not their purse however)
4. be able to make a decision
5. help them with their chair
6. jump off the train etc first and offer your hand
7. hold an umbrella for them

Sound one sided? it's not in return they will be feminine,
attentive, and encouraging (if they like you).

others feel free to add comments or tips
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2008, 10:39:12 PM »
Tip of the Day !

No does not always mean no.

Note: I posted this in another thread and I am adding it here.

No often does NOT mean no with an RW.

RW  can change their minds, Did you ever move furniture around for an AW? believe me RW can change their minds too.

No can mean "help me change my mind" it doesn't mean "make me admit I was wrong"

another example

She hasn't made up her mind yet but you wanted an answer so she says Nyet, which is the default answer to most questions if she hasn't thought about it yet. So if she says no then there is a more than fair chance that she hasn't really given it enough thought to make a decision

another example

You can be walking down the street and see a kiosk which sells water, drinks etc.
You ask her if she wants anything. She says no because she wants to be polite but the truth is she would like a water or a drink.

You should then say, "I am thirsty and pick two waters but before paying for the waters ask "would you like water or maybe something else?" then she says yes that she prefers the water.

Very often in the FSU people say no to be polite. You will also notice that if you say no, you will be offered the same thing again and again to make sure that you are not just saying no to be polite. I can remember at least a hundred times where an RW first said "no" to an offered drink or something and then she was absolutely delighted that I got her something anyway.

I can list a dozen other reasons why no might not mean no with RW

Before anyone gives me a bunch of femi BS about how "no means no" believe me if the answer is H-E-L-L    N-O !!! !! ! I have yet to meet an RW who has a problem communicating that. 

Offline Kimosabe

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2009, 12:41:47 AM »
What I heard recently: It has been very difficult to get dollars in Ukraine because of the extreme inflation and tanking of the exchange rate.  Most ATM's aren't giving dollars.  People are also hoarding dollars as the Hirvna declines in value.  I carry brand new one hundred dollar bills, no exception.  Heard of some bills having pin holes in them making them worth less.  Huh?

To add to Bills list:  Do not take out the trash after dark.   Walk on the street side of the sidewalk between your honey and traffic.  When walking together, keep the arm that is next to her free so she can take your arm. She will. When 2 RW/UW are dancing together, don't try to butt in, dance with both of them.

I drank the water in Odessa for 7 months with no problem, but I also drank bottled water because it didn't taste like toilet water. 

Most apartments I stayed in or visited had a contraption for hanging wet laundry on so it would dry in the apartment.  It was a folding thing with lots of rods to hang stuff on.  One day and most stuff was dry.  Yes, common voltage is 220/240 but that is not the issue with dryers, it is the amperage, which is not available in most older buildings. Plus, it is seen as a waste to pay for all that electricity when you can hang the clothes.

When opening champagne bottles, hold on to the cork with all your mite.  It will lodge itself in the ceiling if you don't.  Embarrassing! Something about the temperature or formulation makes them really dangerous. I hit my former mother in law to be in the leg!

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2009, 05:22:00 AM »
What I heard recently: It has been very difficult to get dollars in Ukraine because of the extreme inflation and tanking of the exchange rate.  Most ATM's aren't giving dollars.  People are also hoarding dollars as the Hirvna declines in value.  I carry brand new one hundred dollar bills, no exception.  Heard of some bills having pin holes in them making them worth less.  Huh?

Most people in FSU countries with volatile currencies switched a couple of years ago to a preference for Euros over dollars.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2009, 06:06:58 AM »
Kimo,

Just one question,  who was in what position to have hit your mother-in-law in the leg with an errant cork ?   :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kimosabe

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2009, 11:58:21 PM »
I don't remember who was where but we were seated around a coffee table on couch and chairs.  I think it was a ricochet!  Ah, Kimosabe, nice shooting  :sick0002:

Offline midnightlegend

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2009, 05:31:49 PM »
4. Put together a profile. Have Anastasia Ash (she is a member here) to look at it
advise you about it and translate it to Russian for you. She will charge
you to do this but she is reasonable and knowledgeable.
So how do I find Ms. Anastasia Ash?

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2009, 06:18:35 PM »
4. Put together a profile. Have Anastasia Ash (she is a member here) to look at it
advise you about it and translate it to Russian for you. She will charge
you to do this but she is reasonable and knowledgeable.
So how do I find Ms. Anastasia Ash?

You can find her here:

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=135

http://www.regaltranslations.com/

please note that Mrs Manny and Edward perform these services also.

Offline midnightlegend

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2009, 06:57:08 PM »
Thanks

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
Regardless of the situation realize that Sh!t happens

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2010, 06:15:27 PM »
Here is a list of links that I think everybody starting out should read.

Top ten things to tell a newbie
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=9107.30

The original tablets of Stone
this is a list of DO NOT DO THIS and expect to survive this process
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=3588.0

Trip reports are the funnest to read. You read about a guys trials and tribulations,
missteps, luck, etc. Things are different in the East and you can learn a lot from
them. The hardest part is remembering that YES the same thing could happen to
you.  

Here is a trip report I wrote about going WOVO (write one visit one) to
St Pete and things didn't work out so I visited many
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=467.0

This is a trip report wovo again this time to Dnepropetrovsk.
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=5560.0

This is an ongoing odyssey of Don Hollio in his years long quest
to find the future Mrs Don
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=1578.0

I would recommend reading all the trip reports and even those in the train
wreck room.

Udachi!!  Good luck!!!

Online 2tallbill

Some Traveling to Ukraine Advice

When going through customs

They give you this little scrap of newspaper like material and you fill it out in
duplicate they tear it in half and give you one of the halves. (DO NOT LOSE IT)
You will have to present it when you leave.

You have to have the address you are staying at. Keep a copy the address with you.
Don't put the address in your checked luggage. On my first trip I didn't know where
I was staying and the incredibly unfriendly immigration officer told me to go back to
the US and come back when I knew where I was staying.

So I put my big dumb American look on my face (it just comes natural to me) and waited
while he ignored me for what seemed like a long time. Finally he yelled something in
Russian probably not too complimentary and bam bam bam he stamped everything
and I walked through.

Online 2tallbill

RW Fever
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »
Link to the RW anatomy thread

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=6648.15

Link if you want to hear how a word sounds in various languages
I like Ekaterina the best for Russian
http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_example.php?sitepal

Offline leeholsen

• Houston-NASA, the oil biz+too much country+western
    • Loveland Ski Area
Re: RW Fever
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2010, 12:43:35 AM »

I like Ekaterina the best for Russian
http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_example.php?sitepal

i always liked svetlana myself.

i used to have this gorgeous blonde  hairdresser named svetlana from yugoslavia. unfortunately, some guy already found her over there and brought her back to Houston with him; but i'm sure there's still some svetlanas left that would like to meet a guy from texas.
Eat 'em up Houston Cougars !

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
For the veterans around this board, this will seem very elementary--I thought it might be helpful for some of the less experienced types.

One nice thing about Russian names--since there are so few different names used for so many people, there are usually tons of diminutive versions used between friends and family.

It should be obvious that I am especially fond of Irina--or its many variants including Ira, Irochka, Irka, Irinka, etc.

Of course, in any sort of business or formal setting, they use both the first name and the patrinomic, so that there is far less likelihood of confusion. Thus, my wife signs official documents Irina Neeley (although using the Russian spelling of the last name, which is four letters), often with her title as a physician where that is appropriate. Most co-workers refer to her as "Irina Igorevna"; other doctors with whom she may be particularly friendly might call her "Irina" while truly intimate friends will call her by one of the diminutives.

A similar situation holds for the other Russian names. However, some names are used that are still somewhat rare--I would estimate that about 80% of women have one of about twenty given names, the same sort of percentage among men. The balance may have any of a very wide selection of names.

For example, if you know a lady named Tamara, that is a very old name in Russia but one that is not common. One man on another list is married to a lady named Ilona--which I have not seen before or since over here, although it sounds lovely to me.

Most, if not all, of the most common names come from various saints. That is why there is a "saint's day" for particular names, which is an occasion for those sharing this name to be congratulated and maybe even an occasion for a dinner among friends.

Which name sounds the best to the Western ear seems mostly to depend upon people you meet with that name and who appear especially attractive for some reason.

David

Online 2tallbill

David, I was talking about the voice of the Russian speaker on the link
I posted above. If you want to hear a Russian word spoken then you
paste it into the space provided by the link, and you can select several
different speakers with different accents to say the word.

As far as Russian names are concerned I like many of them and agree with
all the various ochkas etc added to them nearly every name has a pleasant
sounding variation.

Udachi

Bill

Online 2tallbill

RG wrote this in another thread so I copied and pasted it here. I think it's a good
idea to research

Regarding Skype, if you have a paying account with them such as unlimited US calling AND the account was set up in the US, once over there, you do not incur charges at all to call back to the US.  It seems to tie the account origination and plan together and then doesn't change regardless of where you travel.  I was pleasantly surprised in that respect.  I haven't looked at DBs provider, but I have not yet found a better rate than Skype for when I'm occasionally calling to a Belarus land or mobile line, and it's "free" (I pay $20 or so every 5-6 months) for calling back to the US when I'm there.  I have not gone to the extent of a Skype In number - it's available, but I have yet to need one, so decide what you need in that respect, then compare Skype and the others beyond their immediate and obvious free options, YMMV.

Online 2tallbill

don't come empty handed
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2010, 07:51:10 PM »
I have said previously that if you go to somebodies house not to come empty handed.
A good thing to bring is a cake, or something from your country or something that is
semi unique, being an American I like peanut butter, marshmallows (make hot chocolate
and put them in) maple syrup. One thing I often have is an open face sandwich with peanut
butter and Mrs Buttersworth syrup (don't knock it until you try it) 

I copied a quote from Ras from another thread for his insight

Another thing to keep in mind: it is usually not considered gracious to give expensive gifts if the people to whom that you are giving gifts will not be able to reciprocate with a gift of equal value. Unless your date is the daughter of a local oligarch, showering the family with hundreds of dollars worth of gifts will create unease as they likely will never be able to reciprocate with such gifts. If you give a modest gift (my little bottle of maple syrup), I know they can give me a small Russian gift of approximate value. It will maintain us as social equals and won't be interpreted (even unconsciously) as an insult to their pride. In other words, I am making it possible for them to reciprocate and feel good about themselves as much as I am showing that I thought about them.

Just my humble opinion for what it is worth  :biggrin:

Here is a thread about gift giving
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,11464.msg164991.html#msg164991

Online 2tallbill

other Random musings
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2010, 02:58:30 PM »
I wrote this in another thread but thought I would include it here as well.

whoops duplicate  ;D

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2010, 04:30:02 PM »
Part of my advice is to put together your plan

Plan your work
then work your plan.

Kinda like this guy  ;D

Offline Brasscasing

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2010, 05:40:17 PM »
For the veterans around this board, this will seem very elementary--I thought it might be helpful for some of the less experienced types.

One nice thing about Russian names--since there are so few different names used for so many people, there are usually tons of diminutive versions used between friends and family.

It should be obvious that I am especially fond of Irina--or its many variants including Ira, Irochka, Irka, Irinka, etc.

Of course, in any sort of business or formal setting, they use both the first name and the patrinomic, so that there is far less likelihood of confusion. Thus, my wife signs official documents Irina Neeley (although using the Russian spelling of the last name, which is four letters), often with her title as a physician where that is appropriate. Most co-workers refer to her as "Irina Igorevna"; other doctors with whom she may be particularly friendly might call her "Irina" while truly intimate friends will call her by one of the diminutives.

A similar situation holds for the other Russian names. However, some names are used that are still somewhat rare--I would estimate that about 80% of women have one of about twenty given names, the same sort of percentage among men. The balance may have any of a very wide selection of names.

For example, if you know a lady named Tamara, that is a very old name in Russia but one that is not common. One man on another list is married to a lady named Ilona--which I have not seen before or since over here, although it sounds lovely to me.

Most, if not all, of the most common names come from various saints. That is why there is a "saint's day" for particular names, which is an occasion for those sharing this name to be congratulated and maybe even an occasion for a dinner among friends.

Which name sounds the best to the Western ear seems mostly to depend upon people you meet with that name and who appear especially attractive for some reason.

David

A few more names that people might run across out there...

Victoria, Viktoria, Viktorya, Victorya, Victoriya, Vika ;

Ulyana, Uliana, Uljana, Uljyana, Juliana, Julyana, Ulya, Ulechka ;

Sophie, Sofia, Sophya, Sophiya, Sonya, Soneshka;

Olga, Olya, Olenka(?) ;

Oksana, Oxana, Ksyusha, Oksanochka ;

Nelli, Nelly, Nelya, Nelia, Nelechka;

Lilia, Liliya, Lilya, Lilya, Lilichka;

Also for the new guys: The last name in each line is the familiar/endearment version of her name or it maybe a child's pet name, either way the "chka" version has an attached cultural/emotional meaning to an RW so be aware of that.  :)

Brass
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."  ~ John Diefenbaker

P.S....Unless you happen to live in Quebec and are subject to the Quebec Charter Of Values, of course.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2010, 07:11:55 PM »
Mendy's excellent thread on Courting

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=4286.0

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2010, 12:40:29 PM »
Some tips from another thread I edited it a bit to see the whole
unaltered quote go here

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=12613.15

I noticed that when I would ask Russian ladies if they enjoyed Latin dancing, they almost invariably said that they did. My girl was very enthusiastic about it. Turns out, what she meant was that she liked the idea of it. She really had no experience at all. There aren't exactly a plethora of places to go to do that sort of thing in Siberia. One of the things that we plan on doing when she arrives is taking Salsa lessons together. We are both looking forward to that. IT may turn out to be our "thing." All in all, if you can do it, I would highly recommend taking some lessons. It's a great icebreaker.

On the accent thing - Maybe me knowing basic Spanish is why I apparently do not have a foreign accent with most Russian words.  She taught me her formal name that includes her fathers name.  She said that I had no accent.  I was talking to her yesterday and I figured out what I was doing wrong with the whole"Sh" sound.  So, now I pronounce her nick names properly.  Sweet!

This is a bit off topic, but this is how I set up as far as the things I felt I should do to help maximize my chances of success.  All obvious things, but there it is.  I always write my goals down and write the steps to complete them.  It clarifies in my mind, what steps I need to take and what I need to focus on.  It has always worked for me.
1. Make sure you are ready for marriage.
2. Make sure you are in a position financially to undertake the endeavor of finding a Russian wife and all that entails and then support her.I found that most of these women do not care as much about how much money you make as they care about how much time you will be able to spend with the family.  I do make a good living, so no problem there.  When I told my girl of an opportunity that I had recently, in which I stood to substantially increase my income by changing career paths, she said that she preferred that I go with the job that would give me the most free time.
3. Learn some of the Russian culture and language. Already talked about that.  I am now looking for a tutor to study Russian more intensively.
4. Find someone to has been there before can give you reliable advice on the subject.
5. Stay in shape. This has been a lifestyle for me and I am starting to see the benefits as I watch some of my friends gain weight and slow down.  I felt that this was all the more important since I was looking for a lady six to ten years younger than me.
6. Have a "hook" to break the ice and set your self apart from all the other guys out there. Salsa was one of mine.  I wanted to be able to show that I not only had things going on in my life (interests), but that I was also ready to commit to a special person. 7. Write good letters.  Be creative.  Always be interesting.  Never let them get bored.  I wanted them to look forward to my next letter.
8. Revamp the wardrobe.  I wanted to look nice when my girl spent time with me.  I figured it couldn't hurt to look stylish.  I did NOT want to show up looking like the proverbial "sloppy American."  What is okay or even "cool" here, is not necessarily "cool" over there.

Registration