The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian docs. to bring to America?  (Read 1860 times)

Offline 2 Cats

• Trips: 1-5
Russian docs. to bring to America?
« on: August 02, 2008, 11:51:53 AM »
  I was talking to a friend awhile back that has married a girl from
Thailand(?) and he suggest that my girl have certain documents already translated to English before she comes to America. I guess 1 document would be her birth certificate, but how many copies? What other documents would possibly be necessary for her/us in the future? He said this would save me/us from having to travel to some large city looking for a Notary Public that could translate Russian to English. Sounded like good info.

Any suggestions about this?

bp
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. (Roosevelt, i believe)

Offline brianlau

• Brian L
Re: Russian docs. to bring to America?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 06:33:15 PM »
Translations of:
Divorce certificate, if any
Health Records (e.g. vaccinations)
ex-Husband's release of child to leave, if any

FYI, we never needed a Russian Notary.   It is probably sufficient for
you simply to get translations. My wife did most translations herself,
signing that she was fluent in both Russian and English.

We did use a professional translator for the divorce certificate.

Brian

Offline Bobalouie

• Names Ash....Housewares
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:53:34 PM »
Something that most people dont think of:  At the medical exam, ask them to give you (her) a copy of the DS-3025 form.  It is the form where they list her vaccinations.  You can submit this form when you apply for AOS (Adjustment of Status) after you are married and save yourself a very expensive trip to the civil surgeon.
Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!

Offline blucatz

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »
Lets flip this over, what if the Man wants to move to Russia after marriage?  Would he need to have the same docs translated into Russian?  If so, where in the hell would you go to get something like that done and notarized?  There is actually a real reason behind this question.
Life may knock you down, but it takes a real man to get up, shove it out of the way and move on!

Offline mogurx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 05:28:59 PM »
On docs to bring to America:  Bring a dentist with you from Russia, they cost a lot less there. 

Sorry, (not really) but I couldn't resist. 

m
Serious error.
Screen. Heart. Both are blank. 
You are 404

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 06:00:41 PM »
What about any educational records.  High school graduation transcripts, university transcripts, etc.  Very useful if she plans to continue her education or wants to get a job that requires a high school diploma or some specialized college/university education that she already has from Russia. 
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 06:22:43 PM »
Lets flip this over, what if the Man wants to move to Russia after marriage?  Would he need to have the same docs translated into Russian?  If so, where in the hell would you go to get something like that done and notarized?  There is actually a real reason behind this question.
It is done not in the hell, it is like everywhere else. You go to translating agency and they do it for you. Or you can do that while you are in USA

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 06:28:42 PM »
What about any educational records.  High school graduation transcripts, university transcripts, etc.  Very useful if she plans to continue her education or wants to get a job that requires a high school diploma or some specialized college/university education that she already has from Russia. 
do people really ask for school diplomas? I never had to submit any education documents to get a job. I'd need it only in the case if I  decided to get some additional education and on the high level as well. I had to do some college course while at work, nobody asked for anything.

Would be nice if they were translated in the new country. I got my diploma translated in Russia and it all came out wrong, the guy had no idea about my subjects and seemed to me that he used computer translator at some points. His translation was no use for me what so ever. I wouldn't dare to show it to anybody here

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:11:40 AM »
do people really ask for school diplomas? I never had to submit any education documents to get a job. I'd need it only in the case if I  decided to get some additional education and on the high level as well. I had to do some college course while at work, nobody asked for anything.

Would be nice if they were translated in the new country. I got my diploma translated in Russia and it all came out wrong, the guy had no idea about my subjects and seemed to me that he used computer translator at some points. His translation was no use for me what so ever. I wouldn't dare to show it to anybody here

In British Columbia we have provincial agencies that will take educational documents (like high school transcripts) from different countries and evaluate them and write a report that colleges and universities in Canada will use to decide if the person should be admitted as a student or an organization might use the report to decide if the person is qualified as an engineer or nurse etc.

Some employers say they want prospective employees to have at least a high school diploma but I've never actually heard of anyone being turned down because they didn't have one.  Currently in BC there is a labour shortage and if you want to work there is not problem getting a job for $14 or $15/hour minimum.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 05:23:21 AM »

In British Columbia we have provincial agencies that will take educational documents (like high school transcripts) from different countries and evaluate them and write a report that colleges and universities in Canada will use to decide if the person should be admitted as a student or an organization might use the report to decide if the person is qualified as an engineer or nurse etc.
all people that come to Au on skilled independent visas have to provide their educational documents, but it is for engineering and such. They can translate 3 documents for free. Of course you have to submit something to Uni as I mentioned before, but not for school.

Registration