The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How Russian women view COURTSHIP and Dating  (Read 196830 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
How Russian women view COURTSHIP and Dating
« on: July 30, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »
How Russian women view COURTSHIP and Dating:

I've written often that the Western idea of courtship and Dating is very different from what most Russian ladies and their familes practice in pursuit of marriage.  In fact, in many cases "dating" as understood in the West is really non-existent in the East.

To my mind, men would fare much better if they dropped many "dating" preconceptions and studied/practiced more about courtship and adapted that to the shorter time frames necessary for an international marriage.  That term by the way, is much more accurate that "mail order bride" because if you marry, the challenges and joys which await you will be from the result of an "international marriage."

So how do Russian women see this process:

- Power.  A Russian woman knows that she is a woman and is very proud of that.  It is her strength.  She is not weak in being a woman.  It is her power. 

- This gives her the right to have certain expectations in how a man approaches and views her.  It will guide how he must treat her and her parents.

- She will allure, but not pursue.  She doesn't need to actively pursue a man.  She needs to be herself and the man with the plan of action to win her heart.....will win her heart.

- Men can't be shy or they will lose.  She is looking for boldness and confidence.  Don't confuse this with bravado or brash overconfidence.  Think of cool and calm confidence and determination.

- Most (the kind you want to marry) don’t initiate phone calls nor ask a man out for a "date."  If you can't muster up enough nerve to do this she will wonder what else in life you will be afraid to face.

- She will spend a large amount of time and resources looking her absolute best.  She expects you to take notice and take action.  Those who hesitate will go thru life without a princess.

- Speaking of "princess", her Papa treats her like one and has taught her that she must select only a man who will do the same.  Don't mistake this with spending money or buying her things.  She is not for sale.  She wants to be treated with honour and respect on the ordinary days, not just when courting or on holidays.  Can you make her FEEL (has nothing to do with $) like she is on holiday on ordinary days?

-  You must have the attitude that she is the only woman in existence (just ask any married guy!).  But you need to understand what this means and how it came about:  In recent (very recent) times a young man would flirt with a girl and at some point she would suggest to him that he should visit her parents.  The young man would ask Papa (sometimes via an older representative) for permission to court this young lady.  If Papa (and Mama) said yes, then a period of time began where he would spend a lot of time with her in full view of her family (home visits, walks in the park, church, going with them to the market, etc).

Over time Papa and the young man would begin to talk about life and how it will look in the future.  Advantage young man:  If he stays the course over time, and the girl and her family like him, he will win the girl with no outside competition.  Done deal.  Why so easy?  Because Papa and the lady had agreed that this would be the only young man in consideration until he was eliminated as a possibility or until the wedding. 

Her mindset during courtship is that she is the only woman in your world.

That should clue you in to how most of these ladies view a "plan B."

Is this really done in Russia today?  Sure, it's not universal (nothing is), but not only is it how I was coached to win my wife, but it's being practiced today as we speak with two of our three daughters, of which the oldest (age 26) will be married in an Orthodox ceremony in less than 3 weeks.  And we are not alone.

- She will test you, but don't mistake that as desire for a "sugar daddy."  She tests to guage your determination and sincerity.  In a courtship model she has the right to reject (as can Papa/Mama) a suitor at any time and move on to someone deemed more appropiate or more serious. 

Note:  She will test you in many ways but never using another guy as the test.  If a woman were to use another guy to test you, run like crazy.  She is the one not being serious.

- Have you ever heard the expression that she is looking for a REAL man or for a REAL meeting.  Once you have indicated a desire to court her, you need to be in a position to move forward.  Don't appear to her as if you are "fishing" because that is not what courtship is about.  You need to understand that courtship in itself is a sign of committment.  Either you want her in your life or you don't (far, far different from our Western concept of using "dating" to test compability!).

- In fact she looking more for CHARACTER than for compability.  Life changes people's habits and circumstances (compability) but character and the ability to maintain stability and focus thru those changes does not change.  In investment lingo, she is a "long term investor."

- This has very little to do with sexual attraction.  That is why she will reserve the right to court a man not as "handsome" as others.  Of course she wants someone she can look at with respect and not be repulsed, but you don't have to be a "Don Juan" to win her heart.  You need to be capable, determined and sincere.

- Maintaining her composure at all costs means everything to a Russian Woman so your job is to give them that opportunity.  It means walking on the outside of the sidewalk to protect her from traffic, offering your arm as she steps off the bus, opening doors, help her with a chair, taking her coat, etc.  If you are not a social gentleman, you may not get very far with a RW.

- Family is very important to her final decision.  Don't ever make the mistake of underestimating this power.  If you have courted her mother and father, invested time in her extended family, and gained the respect of her friends, you can almost assume that her heart will follow you.  Its the safest bet one can make with a Russian lady.

Offline FootballDad

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 11:49:08 AM »
Thanks for the Courting segment, Mendeleyev ... this might be the single most important thing I have read on any RW board!!!
Go Seahawks!!! Go Vandals!!!

Offline anjutka

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 03:31:16 PM »

So how do Russian women see this process:

super! very correct )))))) should I print it out, translate and fix at the wall in office or  in my apartment at the kitchen?))))))))))) :chuckle: or  at the first date give always as instrustion?))))))  :reading: :knit: ;D
1 Life is not rehearsal... 2 sorry for my english;-)) 3 Thinking only always positive way=be healthy and happy))))) 4yes, and I am 41 yo ;-))))))))))))) 5 In life there are no rules!!! 6 but he should not be older 45 yo )))) 7...? ;-)

Offline FootballDad

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:05:02 PM »
Anjutka,

I think the idea of giving them out to your dates is a very progressive idea! 

Pretty soon, you will be Americanized before you even move here (or marry here).....

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 08:56:26 PM »
[u
- This has very little to do with sexual attraction.  That is why she will reserve the right to court a man not as "handsome" as others.  Of course she wants someone she can look at with respect and not be repulsed, but you don't have to be a "Don Juan" to win her heart.  You need to be capable, determined and sincere.

Mendeleyev, you have posted an interesting passage indeed. Especially with the quoted words, you probably make the hearts of Western men sing, giving hope to the less attractive ones.

Your post could be a good advertising for an agency. This would be exactly why WM from the whole world pursue FSUW. You just described an ideal attitude of a traditional woman. :)
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:20:02 PM »
Thanks BelleZeBoob!   :)  While I appreciate your comments, in general I'm not a big fan (with a few exceptions) of marriage agencies so I almost had a heart attack when you mentioned it would be good agency advertising! And if men read only that one line, it would be a misrepresentation of what a RW is truly all about.

That notwithstanding, there is truth in that statement when in context with all the other points.  All one has to do is look at my wife and I to quickly know that I am outclassed in every way, and especially in appearance.

Belle, she did not like me at first!  She only "hung around" at the beginning because it was part of her job at the time to teach the new American how to ride the bus, buy a ticket for the Metro, use a pay telephone, etc.  When the "job" was over she was ready to forget about me but I had other ideas.  I also had an ace up my sleeve, my assistant Oksana at Radio Mayak, who took pity and said that if I really wanted to learn about traditional courtship she'd teach me--but I'd have to set aside certain western preconceptions and follow directions.  I'll always owe a great debt of gratitude to Oksana for the happiness in my life today.  :loving:

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:37:41 PM »
super! very correct )))))) should I print it out, translate and fix at the wall in office or  in my apartment at the kitchen?)))))))))))  or  at the first date give always as instrustion?))))))

Anjutka, great idea!  I think you should print it and have each man sign it.  In fact, make them take the document to a notary and have it stamped before you will spend any time together!   8)

Football Dad, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Offline blucatz

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 09:44:56 PM »
Anjutka,

I think the idea of giving them out to your dates is a very progressive idea! 

Pretty soon, you will be Americanized before you even move here (or marry here).....

I hope not, if she gets Americanized, as you put it, then she will be like the women here.  Who wants that?  I want my GF to stay exactly the way she is now.
Life may knock you down, but it takes a real man to get up, shove it out of the way and move on!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: How Russian women view COURTSHIP and Dating
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 02:16:06 AM »
Hmmm....
As BelleZeBoob noted this could be the cliche decsription of the 'traditional woman' for all that it ACTUALLY means in real life as lived by real people.
That is not to say that no two consecutive words in the post made no sense or were 'incorrect', but I really do not think that as a whole the words are entirely relevant to how things are in real life. That noted, I am sure that many women can dissemble to fit an image projected upon them by men with a fixed mental image.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline mobyone

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: UK
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 03:05:41 AM »
A cracking post.. you put in words what I've been trying to say in 100's of posts ..

If you are a guy that likes what Medeleyev wrote, and are looking for a woman that has these values, you should be successful  ;)

Offline Boris

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 04:39:35 AM »
A cracking post.. you put in words what I've been trying to say in 100's of posts ..

If you are a guy that likes what Medeleyev wrote, and are looking for a woman that has these values, you should be successful  ;)

Agree 100% msmoby_ru. Of course people will differ a little in the particulars but I found Mendy's words it to be "spot on." I think it may have undervalued chemistry a little bit. I think it does hold some importance for the women.

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 11:08:08 AM »
I thought it was a splendid post also. I suggested to Mendy we split it off from within the "How Russians Think" topic where it was. I think it makes a superb sticky for this room.

Mendy has penned the situation as many of us know/believe it to be, but he has articulated it in a very good way I thought.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 12:06:55 PM »

are you talking about a "Plan B"  BEFORE or AFTER your meeting her?

My understanding is that after a man meets her and decides to persue her, the "Plan B" is discarded?

Offline Bobalouie

• Names Ash....Housewares
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 12:20:39 PM »

are you talking about a "Plan B"  BEFORE or AFTER your meeting her?

My understanding is that after a man meets her and decides to persue her, the "Plan B" is discarded?

He is saying that in order to be successful, she should be the only woman in your world.  Basically, if you have a plan B, She is not the only woman in your world, and she will not be happy in that knowledge.
Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!

Offline Manny

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 01:06:51 PM »
I have always been of the opinion that courtship begins after meeting. Before a physical meeting she is only a penpal and telephone buddy. Having met her and assuming it went well, you would not invoke your plan B. Or perhaps the one you begin to court is your plan B.

So at the point courtship commences, she is the only woman in your world.

Even so, making it known there is a plan B during pre meeting correspondence, will usually get your ass kicked to the kerb.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 01:46:06 PM »
I have always been of the opinion that courtship begins after meeting. Before a physical meeting she is only a penpal and telephone buddy. Having met her and assuming it went well, you would not invoke your plan B. Or perhaps the one you begin to court is your plan B.

Even so, making it known there is a plan B during pre meeting correspondence, will usually get your ass kicked to the kerb.

agree 100%!

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 11:29:49 PM »
Thanks BelleZeBoob!   :)  While I appreciate your comments, in general I'm not a big fan (with a few exceptions) of marriage agencies so I almost had a heart attack when you mentioned it would be good agency advertising! And if men read only that one line, it would be a misrepresentation of what a RW is truly all about.

That notwithstanding, there is truth in that statement when in context with all the other points.  All one has to do is look at my wife and I to quickly know that I am outclassed in every way, and especially in appearance.

Belle, she did not like me at first!  She only "hung around" at the beginning because it was part of her job at the time to teach the new American how to ride the bus, buy a ticket for the Metro, use a pay telephone, etc.  When the "job" was over she was ready to forget about me but I had other ideas.  I also had an ace up my sleeve, my assistant Oksana at Radio Mayak, who took pity and said that if I really wanted to learn about traditional courtship she'd teach me--but I'd have to set aside certain western preconceptions and follow directions.  I'll always owe a great debt of gratitude to Oksana for the happiness in my life today.  :loving:

Oh, Mendy, please take care of your heart ;)

I used an agency example because your post looks to me rather as an ideal that would be relatively far from the reality, but sounds very beautifully nevertheless, incarning all things that men dream about.

In my personal opinion, the subject line would rather be 'How my wife views courtship and dating'. Obviously, she is very lucky to have been raised by such Papa and apparenltly also Mama as you describe. Many RW were raised with different attitude.

I would not tell that many things of you list is typical. It is rather an IDEAL, yes. Therefore I would not tell this is a RW views and attitude.
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline alenika

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 12:06:41 AM »
Yes.. there can be no the same courting rules for all the country :) I should say though that here in Georgia courtung rules are very close to what mendy wrote. And in my family too.
I close eyes to see better

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 02:21:37 AM »
Thanks Belle and Alenika.   :)  Belle I understood what you wrote.  As a friend I just wanted to joke a little with you about the heart attack!  One of the beautiful things about any culture is it's diversity.  And my point to Western guys is this:  Dating and courtship is not the same around the world and we westerners have a habit of assuming that the rest of the world views life in the same way we do.

I will say that I've met countless families across Russia whose courtship preferences and experiences are very realistic to what was described.  And a lot who went another direction also.

Belle, to take the example a little further:  It appears to me that agencies like to make RW appear as docile little sexy housewives who have no desire to take part in a world of equality and I disagree with that view.  That is why I started the post with the term "power" because RW aren't afraid to use their power as a woman.  As you know, in Russia you can easily insult a lady by using the female terms for her profession.  Most RW would rather be described with the same adjectives and nouns used for men doing the same tasks.  RW are proud of their education and desire a career as well as family (often glossed over by agencies).

Thanks for the kind words spoken about my in-laws.  The father in law I never met was a good man and devoted husband and father.  I've taken the time to learn much about him and regret that we never had the chance to meet.  

My mother in law is most definitely not the model personality portrayed by agencies!   :)  Her tenacity and drive has allowed her to accomplish much in life.  I had to learn to "court" her as well because it was clear that her opinion would count in the final marriage decision.

Alenika, Georgia is such a unique and beautiful country that I hope to do a thread on it someday in the Culture section.  I'll look forward to your help on it!

Offline mobyone

• Watched
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 05:26:57 AM »

Well, mate, that's the "sensible" , pragmatic approach...

Some of us made a trip with that ideal that would appeal to Mendeleyev's portrayal - had identified a FSUW with similar ideals .... you and others might consider "crazy" - we had no plan B ... and the lady felt it.. knew it... We both took a chance...

For me the courtship started BEFORE we physically met - we talked on the phone, emailed, sms'd and video conferenced.. I wanted to meet this lady.. I had high hopes that the friendship we had forged would continue - hopefully develop into more .... For me, I'd never go all that way for a "pig in a poke" .. I'd have to have something "concrete" in place ..

There's no right way.. just what's right for you both ;)

Offline mobyone

• Watched
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 06:03:52 AM »
Alenika, Georgia is such a unique and beautiful country that I hope to do a thread on it someday in the Culture section.  I'll look forward to your help on it!

I have been lucky enough to have seen the Georgian National Ballet.. didn't WANT to go .. I was persuaded it would be interesting ... MIND BLOWING ..

The women float and the men's dancing and knife throwing ..... THE best live show I ever saw..

PS I'm a huge fan of Georgian food and wine .. Kindzmarauli  ( phonetically pronounced ..) YUMMY ... http://www.gws.ge/eng/tamada.php?label=tamada_red&item=Kindzmarauli

Don't be put off by the semi sweet description - you have to try it :)

Offline midnightlegend

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 12:15:23 AM »
Isn't it hard to tell if the woman you are trying to court is either:
testing your conviction,
or has lost interest in you?

It seems her signals would be the same. For example, hanging up on you, saying that she is too sick to talk right after her phone had a busy signal, or not contacting you later after first saying that now's not a good time... this sort of thing. it is hard for me to believe that any of these are just a test. different women of course, not all from the same one.

Offline Boris

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 04:36:18 AM »
testing your conviction,

It seems her signals would be the same. For example, hanging up on you, saying that she is too sick to talk right after her phone had a busy signal, or not contacting you later after first saying that now's not a good time... this sort of thing. it is hard for me to believe that any of these are just a test. different women of course, not all from the same one.

Definitely lack of interest, ML. 

Like Manny said earlier, you will be expected to pay for things on a date. No question or discussion. If you are seen as cheap or greedy without a very good reason you are toast. In America I usually pay, too. But there is always that ritualized discussion about them paying half or that they will get the check this time sort of thing.

Offline FootballDad

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 02:49:37 PM »
testing your conviction,

Ding! Ding! Ding!  Legend .. you hit the nail right on the head with this question.  I have been corresponding with one lady for more than 8 months now (and even visited her in July for 9 days) and still am as confused as you are in this question.  Not even sure that a Rocket Scientist could figure a RW/UW out concerning the above ... How about it TomT?

Offline Rasputin

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 06:35:39 PM »

The main problem with trying to generalize is that you always have millions of exceptions :)

- She will allure, but not pursue.  She doesn't need to actively pursue a man.  She needs to be herself and the man with the plan of action to win her heart.....will win her heart.

I would say that I was actively pursued a couple of times by Russian women  :-X

-  You must have the attitude that she is the only woman in existence (just ask any married guy!).  But you need to understand what this means and how it came about:  In recent (very recent) times a young man would flirt with a girl and at some point she would suggest to him that he should visit her parents.  The young man would ask Papa (sometimes via an older representative) for permission to court this young lady.  If Papa (and Mama) said yes, then a period of time began where he would spend a lot of time with her in full view of her family (home visits, walks in the park, church, going with them to the market, etc).

How do you define recent? 5 years ago? 20? 50? I am not sure whether there are any young (and not-so-young women) that first consult with their mothers and fathers to see if they should date a young man. Yes, it is still "traditional" for a man to ask the father to marry his daughter, but it is more symbolic than anything else.

- She will test you, but don't mistake that as desire for a "sugar daddy."  She tests to guage your determination and sincerity.  In a courtship model she has the right to reject (as can Papa/Mama) a suitor at any time and move on to someone deemed more appropiate or more serious. 

Testing, maybe. This is done by both men and women, Russian and not-Russian at some point. However, I don't really concur with the mother's or the father's right to reject the suitor in modern times. Maybe it was the case 100 years ago, but I know of few cases where it would still apply in all the regions of Russia that I visited.

- Family is very important to her final decision.  Don't ever make the mistake of underestimating this power.  If you have courted her mother and father, invested time in her extended family, and gained the respect of her friends, you can almost assume that her heart will follow you.  Its the safest bet one can make with a Russian lady.

Well, I am happy to say that this is not true. One of my wife's drunken uncles insisted that my MIL should forbid her daughter from going to Canada to marry. He was adamant about it. Fortunately, my wife was not going to listen to any uncle, and was not going to listen to her mother if her mind was made up.

"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Registration