The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: New Book: The Russian Bride Guide  (Read 108357 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: New Book: The Russian Bride Guide
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »
Yep, I just finished the 'Opus Manny' and I found it a good read. There is nothing too original or startling; it is a simple digest of the good and sensible advice offered to folks over many years. In areas where there might be differeing opinions, Manny has covered the ground on both sides fairly well so that a reader can feel they are getting a balanced guide.

There were a few writing mannerisms that might be changed but the thing was readable (albeit that some USAians might need a dictionary for some of Manny's vocabulary affectations). ;)

IMHO, for anyone going through this process, this book will save the sensible reader lots and lots of forum wading. With this guide in hand one can safely eschew the discussion forums and their very high noise level and that will save the 'time is money' brigade a whole load of money.

Well done.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 05:01:25 PM »
I have been busy this last week!

The book site has just been redesigned somewhat and moved onto a new, faster US server; the old pages looked a bit amateur I thought. Well, I made them, what do you expect?  :chuckle:  I decided to spring a few bucks for a real live web designer this time.

Pricing on the site has been changed to US Dollars only (including free worldwide shipping) for simplicity. As most copies have gone to the US up to now, that seemed to make more sense. I know you American guys prefer to do business in Greenbacks.  :money:

If any of our UK/European forum members want a copy who haven’t had one already, you can send me a PM and I can link you to where you can buy in £ or € if you prefer.

We had some problems with Paypal compatibility in other countries like Mexico and Turkey. They should now be fixed. If you guys use the link on the website - and pay in US Dollars - it will be fine. Paypal will convert it for you at point of sale.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline cdrp

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 01:57:58 PM »
I too have read and enjoyed "the" book.

As a neophyte in my search, I have been reading just about everything I could get my hands on up to this point.  My impression of the book is pretty much what the others in this thread have been saying regarding the content, although I have less history to base my opinion.

What I do find interesting however, is the book appears to parallel my methods to this point (actually it is the opposite ;D).  This in itself is reassuring to me, as I see that my paradigm has a sound foundation of sorts.  Although many of the efforts I have been making in my quest are supported by the book, there were several points in the text that opened my eyes regarding current and future expectations.  One thing I had not yet thought extensively about was her move to the U.S..  I had no idea of the trauma involved not to mention the significant sacrifice on both the husband and the wife.  Also the introduction of the future spouse to a local Russian community...or not.

Overall an excellent book from my position.  As a beginner in the arena, I cannot judge based on experience, but then again, everybody has a different story and experience, so I would find it difficult for anyone to claim exclusive knowledge on the subject.  What I like best is the book is not written as a definitive work.  It is proffered as a work of general knowledge and experience, compiled from a variety of sources in a format that allows the reader to understand the concept of pursuing a RW for the purpose of marriage.

Since I choose my own course regarding the pursuit of my Ukrainian partner, I endeavor to consider everything I see, read and hear.  My opinion of this book is that it should be mandatory reading for any man even considering pursuing a FSU woman.  If you can make it through the book and not have a heart attack on the cost aspect alone, then I would say you are well positioned for your journey.  I have read the book cover to cover twice now, and for the first time in my life, have tabbed a few pages of things I need to review as my journey continues.

Don

GREGK

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 05:58:39 PM »
I just finished reading Russian Bride Guide. I wish it would have been available a few years ago as it would have saved me considerable time, effort, and money.

Guys, if you are considering a relationship with a RW, have made contact and are planning a trip, or are even well into a relationship with a RW, BUY THIS BOOK! I have spent untold hours on various sites/forums trying to educate myself about this process only to have it all laid out in this one book!

The author's writing style reminds me of having a good friend sit you down, explain the dos and don'ts, while imparting extensive knowledge on this subject in a manner that is intelligent, honest, and humorous (loved the bus anecdote).

The authors are to be commended for the time and painstaking effort they spent compiling all of this information. My only complaint about the book is that it was long overdue!

Offline Manny

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2008, 03:14:41 PM »
Manny:

Just did an Amazon search and got:  Your search ""Russian Bride Guide"" did not match any products.

Being a Yank I like to buy my books via Amazon - any plans releasing it there soon?

Cheers,

Mike "cufflinks"

The Russian Bride Guide is now available on Amazon USA as per your request. It is also on other Amazons worldwide:

Russian Bride Guide on Amazon UK

Russian Bride Guide on Amazon Canada

Russian Bride Guide on Amazon Germany

Russian Bride Guide on Amazon France

Russian Bride Guide on Amazon Japan

As for other retail channels, it is now available from Tescos in the UK: Russian Bride Guide at Tesco, Waterstones in the UK: Russian Bride Guide at Waterstones, Barnes & Noble in the US: Russian Bride Guide on Barnes & Noble, together with worldwide availability at any brick and mortar bookshop, library or online bookstore by quoting the ISBN number: 9780955687402.

I had to stay up late last night, I had my first of many US live radio interviews on a small station called KCEO in San Diego, with a "dating coach" called DeAnna Lorraine. It was a quite fun 30 minutes. A screenshot from her site is below, it may give some of you a chuckle.

ila_rendered
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 04:22:58 PM »
Manny:

Just did an Amazon search and got:  Your search ""Russian Bride Guide"" did not match any products.

Being a Yank I like to buy my books via Amazon - any plans releasing it there soon?

Cheers,

Mike "cufflinks"

Mike, Russian Bride Guide is now available on Amazon as per your request.

As for other retail channels, it is now available from Tescos in the UK: Russian Bride Guide at Tesco, Waterstones in the UK: Russian Bride Guide at Waterstones together with worldwide availability at any brick and mortar bookshop, library or online bookstore by quoting the ISBN number: 9780955687402.

When's it out on Piratebay? I have been influenced by Russian culture and I wont pay if I can download it for nowt. Where's the ebook?
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Manny

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 04:34:32 PM »
Quote from: Ste
When's it out on Piratebay? I have been influenced by Russian culture and I wont pay if I can download it for nowt. Where's the ebook?

There is no e-book for that very reason. This is paper only.  ;D

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 04:48:05 PM »
Quote from: Ste

There is no e-book for that very reason. This is paper only.  ;D

Some Albanian will scan it!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2008, 05:35:04 PM »
Manny I wish you had told us about your live radio stint, I would of enjoyed hearing it.  Will you be on again next Thursday ?  If not what other radio interviews do you have planned ?   Give the station identifier too please.

Ste,  I'm not Albanian, but on page 25 right after the the $ sign's the rest of the paragraph had me laughing !  :chuckle:   Damn SRM's !   :laugh:

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »
  Manny I wish you had told us about your live radio stint, I would of enjoyed hearing it.  Will you be on again next Thursday ?  If not what other radio interviews do you have planned ?   Give the station identifier too please.

Ste,  I'm not Albanian, but on page 25 right after the the $ sign's the rest of the paragraph had me laughing !  :chuckle:   Damn SRM's !   :laugh:

(Attachment Link)

Don, I hope Manny's not looking at this now, but instead of scanning the book you could just Fed Ex me your copy and when I've finished scanning reading it (I read surprisingly quick) I'll Fed Ex it back to you.  I'm sure Manny wouldn't mind that.

Yes, please Manny if you do any more radio/TV interviews post the dates/times and stations.  Maybe they have Internet broadcasts.   

Just a comment Manny.  From that brief passage on Don's posting, there is no doubt that you are British given the terminology you use.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Manny

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2008, 04:52:15 AM »
Will you be on again next Thursday ? 

Not that I am aware of. There was talk of an hour long phone in, but it has yet to be put together. I gather I have some other radio stuff coming up, but I have no firm dates or stations yet.

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2008, 05:24:01 PM »
Really, you should post your 'media' appearances and book signing schedule here so we know where to be to get our books autographed.

Offline erudite

• Kharkov is a GREAT CITY!!!!!!
  • Spouses Country: UKRAINE
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2008, 04:04:59 PM »
I bought the book and read it one night before going to bed. Really you guys should take speed reading the book is not all that difficult to go through. It is easier to read than Elena's I think.  The style flows much smoother.  Now if we could only get some of those RW and UW to read the book too and follow directions.
"It don't matter who's in Austin, Bob Wills is still the King", Waylon Jennings

Offline Norwegian Viking

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 03:25:36 PM »
Now if we could only get some of those RW and UW to read the book too and follow directions.

I finished the book myself the other day. It was good stuff, but it didn't reveal any shoe-in tricks like hypnosis or voodoo spells to catch that perfect bride :(. Maybe in the sequel, Manny?  :party0031:

Offline nunya

• RIP
    • First Dream
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2009, 10:27:29 AM »
I think it [book cover] is a very pretty, artistic photo.

Yea, old American ladies, jealous Russian women who wished they looked this good will yap, yap, yap.  To the average European mentality this photo is probably seen as an artistic photo of a pretty young lady.

I would have no problem telling any 34-39 year old man looking for a Russian bride about this woman.

It is a beautiful photo.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2009, 02:47:53 AM »
I don't mind the photo on various other occasions, but if you write a book about how to score a wife, I think its a little inappropriate.

I understand Olya's photo as its satire about the myth of a russian bride.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2009, 08:49:15 AM »
If I saw that kind of photo on a profile I would have doubts that the woman would be a  good match for a wife...  Just IMO. I understand Markje's point

я тоже.   :)   

However on it's own merits the photo is very artistic and not offensive in an "over the top" sense. 

Nevertheless when it comes to selection of a spouse, personally I would want a wife who shared some things with me only, not after having advertised some things for all to see, or almost to see.

Offline Manny

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2009, 10:34:22 AM »
What you critical folk are missing is that different people click on different things, and it might not be what you click on. An advertisement is not necessarily meant to be representative of the subject matter it points to, it is there merely to get the surfer to click through in the first place. The user makes further decisions based on what he sees and reads on the given target page. He would seldom make further decisions based on the image he first clicked on.

Many Russian dating sites use pictures of scantily clad ladies in their pictorial advertisements, yet nobody is up in arms about those are they? And people meet wives through sites that use such pictures to solicit traffic. I fail to see a difference.

The fact is, a picture of a cozy home fireplace with pipe and slippers on the hearth would get nobody clicking on it. Nor would a picture of a nun. A picture of a sexy lady usually has the opposite, and desired effect. Case in point; you noticed it whilst cruising profiles didnt you Mark?  :chuckle:

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2009, 02:31:46 PM »
Sex sells! plain and simple.

Advertising and sex have been tied together since advertising became a big business. The use of sexually suggestive images to sell just about everything really emphasizes the point that sex is a merchandiser's best friend.

Try and guess what this ad is selling?

Believe it or not Vacuum cleaners

and another

Toilet paper

and one more

Coffee

and even Volvo cars get in on the act

This suggestive advertising is from Volvo, and its titled "We Are Just As Excited As You Are."

Nice parking brake...  :chuckle:
Слава Україні

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »
The fact is, a picture of a cozy home fireplace with pipe and slippers on the hearth would get nobody clicking on it. Nor would a picture of a nun. A picture of a sexy lady usually has the opposite, and desired effect. Case in point; you noticed it whilst cruising profiles didnt you Mark?  :chuckle:

(looks around.... no lena!)

There was a certain moscow lady I wanted to look up, as some birdy told me her photos had improved dramaticly.

As its a contested/debated within my household, I did it from work and of course my supervisor was looking and remarked bout the nekkid lady ;)
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2009, 03:10:39 PM »
What you critical folk are missing is that different people click on different things, and it might not be what you click on. An advertisement is not necessarily meant to be representative of the subject matter it points to, it is there merely to get the surfer to click through in the first place. The user makes further decisions based on what he sees and reads on the given target page. He would seldom make further decisions based on the image he first clicked on.

True enough Manny, and I'm sure that you are saavy enough to use the best method to attract your target audience.

Many Russian dating sites use pictures of scantily clad ladies in their pictorial advertisements, yet nobody is up in arms about those are they? And people meet wives through sites that use such pictures to solicit traffic. I fail to see a difference.

I don't have a problem with it personally, I think it's normal to use whatever picture works to advertise your book. {alot less suggestive than the coffee or TP ad..  :happy0023:

I am more surprised at the riske pictures that some of the girls use, unless they are looking to attract men with a different mindset. What kind of man does the girl hope to get by posing topless? Not marriage material, but to each his own.  8)

The fact is, a picture of a cozy home fireplace with pipe and slippers on the hearth would get nobody clicking on it.
Except Mark & Mendy & I...  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Manny

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2009, 03:28:51 PM »
Just for you chaps then...... how about this for cutting edge marketing.................

Read our book - just like this guy is doing

Hmmm, I am not convinced.  :chuckle:

Offline Boris

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2009, 05:58:15 PM »
Just for you chaps then...... how about this for cutting edge marketing.................

(Attachment Link)
     Read our book - just like this guy is doing

Hmmm, I am not convinced.  :chuckle:

Thanks, Manny. I feel much better now  ;D

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »
I might have played up the old cliche of a Lady in the parlor, cheftress in the Kitchen and a vixen in the bedroom all with one foot each in the mail order box as the not so subtle reference to the mail order bride - of course all 3 outfits on the one and same woman would all be very sexy indeed - 3 times the eye candy for the price of one :evilgrin0002:

Offline Manny

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2009, 01:43:53 PM »
In case any forum readers are interested, the Russian Bride Guide has just dropped in price.  ;D

This is because we publish and print in £ Sterling but sell mostly in US Dollars. The recent strengthening of the Dollar against our Peso Pound has allowed a Dollar price reduction.  :reading:

Registration