The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: We are almost at 50,000 posts!!  (Read 14191 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
We are almost at 50,000 posts!!
« on: June 14, 2008, 01:29:43 PM »
In about three weeks, RUA will top the 50,000 post mark.  :party0011:

At 20,000 posts, we had a competition and Jinx won it. As we approach another milestone in our growth, I thought it may be nice to do something again.

Markje is able to determine which post is the 50,000th. (We are using the message counter at the bottom of the board not message numbers in the URL's - they differ.) If a Mod, Admin or a Tech makes the 50,000th post, the prize will go to the next member post up. (50,001 for example.)

Reading guests: It's not too late to sign up as a member and win!

So whats the prize? Well last time we did this it was an Amazon voucher. This time I thought we would be more imaginative. The question of what the prize should be is yet to be decided.

Any ideas?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Donhollio

Re: We are almost at 50,000 posts!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 01:32:58 PM »
I'd like a short Lada rubber girl........with an augmentation  :innocent:

Offline Manny

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 02:31:28 PM »
The idea of a prize is light hearted fun really, just to celebrate the popularity of the forum. So this time it will be goods and/or services.

Unless you would like to pledge a prize Don?  ;D
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 02:45:19 PM »

I promise not to try and post at the time of the countdown, I'll let someone else have a shot at it. Nataly says she will try though, haha, she never posts, but will for money, typical Ukraine girl.  :chuckle:

:) I may just get my wife posting if CASH £££££££ is up for grabs  :happy0023:
Слава Україні

Offline DonA

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »

Unless you would like to pledge a prize Don?  ;D

Tsk tsk Manny. I had my turn and ran the board out of my pocket. I didn't complain I spent several thousands out of my pocket and was happy to do so.

Now it's your turn.

You don't have to follow what I did, I'm just letting it be known what the last prize was because of some confusing posts about the gift certificate.

I gave a $250.00 Amazon gift certificate for the banner competition..... Russian Gal won that one

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 02:49:50 PM »
Yeah, DonAz sent me a check from his own account for $200, not an Amazon gift certificate.  Don has set a standard Manny, will you be able to live up to it?  ;D  :laugh:

What DonAz was giving away he could have spent on upgrades, marketing and a decent server, ahh well, I did that so now the pot is dry.

We need a rich American benefactor.  :gousa:

Offline DonA

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 02:57:44 PM »
Yeah, DonAz sent me a check from his own account for $200, not an Amazon gift certificate.  Don has set a standard Manny, will you be able to live up to it?  ;D  :laugh:

What DonAz was giving away he could have spent on upgrades, marketing and a decent server, ahh well, I did that so now the pot is dry.

We need a rich American benefactor.  :gousa:

The upgrades and servers meant nothing to me really. I didn't receive many if any complaint from members having problems otherwise I would have done the upgrades if needed. Not a big deal and it's cheap to upgrade I may point out

But it ain't about me. It's about the contest. I am only setting the record straight as to what the prizes were. Can't change the facts  ;D

DonAz 

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 03:07:28 PM »
We are most obliged for the history lesson.

Quote from: Donaz
It's about the contest.

Indeed - so has anyone any ideas what the prize should be? Or perhaps a multiple choice prize?

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 03:15:57 PM »
Guys come on, does it really matter what the prize(s) is/are, by the time everyone agrees here it will be to late and we will be thinking of something for the 100,000th post ;)

The fact is, no prize needs to be given/offered at all, 20,000 posts was a mile stone, but it was soon forgotten about, 50,000 is the next milestone but  a few days after the event it will be lost in cyber space, what is more important IMHO is that the board is growing steadily, we have some very very good members here, with lots of experience, far more than most other related boards around and yet the forum is still less than 18 months old.

It has come on in leaps and bounds since I first joined in April last year, it has now evolved into what it is today, a great resource for the guys and gals looking for partners abroad, and it is getting better daily as new members join and more threads and posts are created.

So lets stop quibbling over a prize that will only ever mean something to one member only, and concentrate on why we are all here and what this place is for. The value of the prize IMO does not matter, what is more important is the quality of the membership, and the quality an ease of use of the board and all it encompasses.

Chris
Слава Україні

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • "Helping People Understand Each Other"
    • OdessaGuide.Net
  • Trips: Resident
My Suggestion of a Prize
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 03:21:33 PM »
If I am the lucky devil, I will demand my drum of juice, all 55 gallons of it. Mango is preferred.
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net

Offline DonA

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 03:23:29 PM »
Guys come on, does it really matter what the prize(s) is/are, by the time everyone agrees here it will be to late and we will be thinking of something for the 100,000th post ;)

The fact is, no prize needs to be given/offered at all, 20,000 posts was a mile stone, but it was soon forgotten about, 50,000 is the next milestone but  a few days after the event it will be lost in cyber space, what is more important IMHO is that the board is growing steadily, we have some very very good members here, with lots of experience, far more than most other related boards around and yet the forum is still less than 18 months old.

It has come on in leaps and bounds since I first joined in April last year, it has now evolved into what it is today, a great resource for the guys and gals looking for partners abroad, and it is getting better daily as new members join and more threads and posts are created.

So lets stop quibbling over a prize that will only ever mean something to one member only, and concentrate on why we are all here and what this place is for. The value of the prize IMO does not matter, what is more important is the quality of the membership, and the quality an ease of use of the board and all it encompasses.

Chris

Chris while I agree with some of what you've said it is mostly  :offtopic: we are discussing what the prize should be NOT THAT IT WILL SOON BE FORGOTTEN.[ /b]

Come one Chris keep your eye on the ball......What do you think the Prize should be?

DonAz

Offline Manny

Re: My Suggestion of a Prize
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 03:29:52 PM »
If I am the lucky devil, I will demand my drum of juice, all 55 gallons of it. Mango is preferred.

Would you like the drum signed by Donhollio and his pals?  :laugh:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 05:25:37 PM »
How about a free trip to the FSU, on foot  :evilgrin0002:

Seriously though, a collection of books which add up to the amount Manny has in mind for this thing?

For the non-married men :

- Elena petrova's book ?
- Manny's own book ?

- Pimsleur learn russian ?
- An electronic Translator ?

- 1x subscription to a dating agency of choice ?

For the married men:
- Nice souvenirs from the FSU ? (no ideas here!)

For the women:
- Book (which one?)
- Green card?  :money: (okok, I had to do this  :happy0023:)

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Manny

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 05:37:40 PM »
- Elena petrova's book ?

That isn't worth the e-paper it isn't printed on, I have read it.  :-\   Added to which, it is copyrighted to them.

Quote from: Markje
- Manny's own book ?

I thought of that, it may be useful to newbs, and it is ready at the end of this month. (We hope - test print is next week.) - but it isn't for the married guys or the ladies really, it wont interest them very much.

Maybe a choice of books would work? Three or four, one in Cyrillic, and you choose the one you want? Something for everyone that way.

Offline anjutka

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 05:44:09 PM »
For the women:
- Book (which one?)
- Green card?  :money: (okok, I had to do this  :happy0023:)

Mark.

can be just flowers in  my case ?;D ;D ;D  :laugh:
1 Life is not rehearsal... 2 sorry for my english;-)) 3 Thinking only always positive way=be healthy and happy))))) 4yes, and I am 41 yo ;-))))))))))))) 5 In life there are no rules!!! 6 but he should not be older 45 yo )))) 7...? ;-)

Offline Manny

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 05:49:11 PM »
can be just flowers in  my case ?;D ;D ;D  :laugh:

If its you Anjutka, flowers it shall be!

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 06:00:55 PM »
Sounds good I'll charge a paltry sum of 400% above of the average Canadian wage. :chuckle:

Will you be delivering it for that? Or must I turn right next time I am driving through Poland in a few weeks and deliver Igor's juice?

Quote from: Donhollio
So since we have it easy compared to these kids, why don't we just make a cheque out for $20 each and send it to help these kids have a summer holiday in a foreign country. Or we could collect the cheques, and send it on behalf of RUA ?

I am up for something like that, if we can do something worthwhile that helps people that would be great! If there is interest, we can organise that.

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • "Helping People Understand Each Other"
    • OdessaGuide.Net
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 03:37:41 AM »
I did not know they were involved in this forum management! This explains a few things. No kidding this time.
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net

Offline Manny

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 04:09:51 AM »
So in the absense of suggestions other than books, here is a suggestion....

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

So as suggested, the first item is my book! It should be available by the end of the month and if you are new to the idea of a Russian woman, it is a 'must have' item. More info here.

If you are married or otherwise a veteran in the process, you may enjoy some alternative reading matter. This is Anna Politkovskaya's book 'Putin's Russia.'

Если Вы один из наших русскоговорящих пользователей форума, то возможно, Вы получите удовольствие от прочтения книги известного русского журналиста Владимира Соловьева "Путин путеводитель для неравнодушных". Эта книга для тех, кому небезразлична судьба России и кто хочет узнать от кого же зависит ее будущее.

I think there is something there for everyone! Other suggestions and ideas based on Donhollio's plan are also welcome.

Offline nunya

• RIP
    • First Dream
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 12:30:40 PM »

Why change things manny?   I'm sure he would prefer his clients young Ukraine/Russian woman  ;D

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 11:29:11 AM »
Rather then focusing on the prize (A sho ya s etogo budu imet'?) why don't we celebrate the success of this forum.  I feel that RUA is not only very informative and educational for anyone who is interested in FSU and FSU women, but it's also a much friendlier place, not controlled by just a few bullies who will attack you and insult you any time you have a difference of opinion.
I found that been on RUA has been stress-free and fun. Let's make this forum grow and become #1!!! :party0031:

By the way, Manny, I like your choice of books for the prize!

Offline Manny

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 05:15:22 PM »
I found that been on RUA has been stress-free and fun. Let's make this forum grow and become #1!!! :party0031:

Amen to that!  ;D

We have survived legal actions trying to close us down and hackers up to now - but we are still here, and are staying!  :smokin:

And 50k posts is getting ever closer............

Offline Jooky

• Watched
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »
When Don and I started this board we had conflicting opinions.

I wanted full freedom of speech, no matter how nasty and harsh, and Don wanted a nicer and friendlier board, free of personal attacks and insults. What we both wanted was something similar to the old forum, where a disparate cast of characters could share dissenting opinions without censorship or reprimand (as often happens on other boards).

We had some rough moments, but I think we got things about right!

We handed the board over to Manny and he's kept up the same spirit! (What happened to the board-bashing, pot-stirring, trouble-making Manny we will never know  :P)

Offline Manny

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 05:29:46 PM »
We handed the board over to Manny and he's kept up the same spirit! (What happened to the board-bashing, pot-stirring, trouble-making Manny we will never know  :P)

I dunno what happened to him, I think marriage tamed me a bit.   :chuckle:

Quote from: Jooky
We had some rough moments, but I think we got things about right!

I was very impressed what Ronin had to say about us in his recent review......

Quote from: Ronin
Top notch seasoned staff and many knowledgable members as well.  This is an excellent forum to answer all those tough questions and get the latest info from all around the CIS.  The forum is easy to use with its simple yet professional structure.

Offline Manny

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 06:18:27 AM »
We had three topics intermingled here.

The subject of a charity donation I split off, it can now be found here: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=4024.0

Anyone who wants to chip a few dollars into a fund for charity, to celebrate our 50,000th post can say so in that topic.

The 50,000th poster will get one of the books mentioned above in this thread.

The topic about the book cover has been split off and moved to here: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=4026.0