The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: To Evpatoria!  (Read 38009 times)

Offline mirror

Re: To Evpatoria!
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2008, 09:27:37 PM »
Chillidog
I wish I was a sex tourist that way on my last trip I would have gotten some ;)
in all honesty I do not travel to Russia just for sex (I can get it here in my home for much cheaper than what it costs me to travel abroad), I truly travel to learn of the woman and to progress our relationship in hopes that I have found my life partner.

Maybe you are much different from all others but what I see in forums that all men vote for meeting with many Russian women during tarvelling to Russia.Even the biggest professional in a knowledge of Russian life (I am not sarcastic now) jb votes for similar meetings. 

Offline mirror

« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2008, 09:33:38 PM »
Wild orchid

I wasn't as aggressive as you are.

I see that sometimes men here are very rude and agressive with their replays to us and we (women) keep friendly position towards you (man).

ECR844,
maybe do you want to push us away from here?

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2008, 07:13:56 PM »
Wild orchid

I wasn't as aggressive as you are.

I see that sometimes men here are very rude and agressive with their replays to us and we (women) keep friendly position towards you (man).

ECR844,
maybe do you want to push us away from here?

Sometimes we are as 'rude or aggressive as the RW' are with their replies. No I don't want to push the quality posters away. I would like to see the trolls go for a hike and not return but that's just me.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2008, 07:44:28 PM »
I would like to see the trolls go for a hike and not return but that's just me.

Am I missing something here?

Offline mirror

« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2008, 09:45:54 PM »
WO,
I can't understand ECR844 aggressiveness towards us...can you?

Offline DonA

« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2008, 09:56:47 PM »
I see very little trolling on the board. We never tolerated it. i used to screw big time with trolls and they got the message. Everyone has their own way of expressing themsleves. Some people are passive some are agressive and some are both  ;D.

i haven't noticed many direct insults on the board. I do see a lot of good debate and a few snide comments here and there but it is much better than i have seen on the other boards.

WE have a good mix of folks here and a lot of quality posters

DonAz

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2008, 10:50:47 PM »
WO,
I can't understand ECR844 aggressiveness towards us...can you?

I don't think he is always aggressive. He doesn't like us but he doesn't have to.

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2008, 11:49:38 PM »
OK, just one more question: how do you pay import tax on items sent from the states.  I would hate to send a $75 bottle of perfume only to have the recipient have to pay an import duty.

Perhaps cestmoi will field that question; she is very knowledgeable.

Offline Cestmoi

« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2008, 12:47:16 AM »
OK, just one more question: how do you pay import tax on items sent from the states.  I would hate to send a $75 bottle of perfume only to have the recipient have to pay an import duty.

Perhaps cestmoi will field that question; she is very knowledgeable.

Thank you very much Tom :-)

i usually send silk or wool/cachmere. They are small, light, i buy padded envelope, A5 size would be usually enough, if not - A4 - definitely.
Send with regular US mail. On a custom declaration write "blouse - 1,  value - 0, present, not for resale". in several years only 1 package was lost - and i suspect this is because I sent it to work address of my friend. All packages for my family members were delivered.

I never send perfumes - you need bigger box and good "insulation", it may get broken during transportation, you pay for sending water basically - weight is more than a small envelope with nice quality apparel.

you can also send a selection of cosmetics - like several mascaras - 1 lengthening, 1 curving, 1 volume, or 2 volume but of different colors - black and brown for example. And several different shades of good lipstick. the price is same in USA and in Ukraine for same brands, but the mascara - is something used often, always needed, and also a beauty/indulgence/women necessity product as teh perfume. When i send my mom cosmetics i just write "cosmetics misc. birthday present not for resale". And that's it. Maybe sending perfume isn't such a big problem, i just never tried. If i were sending it, i would send it with regular male and write that it's a present and cost nothing. then there are no custom taxes to be paid by receiver.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2008, 01:18:03 AM »
I believe taxes are paid if value of the gift is higher than $100. Isn't it right? I always put the value on the envelope, may family never paid any taxes, but  I never valued them more than $100

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2008, 01:26:22 AM »
If you write $100 it is then worth stealing.

We always write 'used clothing' or some such thing. With perfume I would write 'vitamin medicine' or something. (In case they x-ray it and see a bottle) We send half litre bottles of Estonian liqueur to Russia this way, always with a $ value of less than 10, tagged as 'gift' and the customs label and the address written in Russian.

Works every time.

I have used once a courier with tracking etc, item was 'opened for inspection' then 'destroyed as it contained prohibited goods' (Stolen) - Tried Post Office International tracked, that just vanished off the radar and the UK Post Office were unable to assist.

Forget insurance and tracking, just dont send anything you are not prepared to lose, use regular mail and then sit back and wait five weeks.  :laugh:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2008, 01:50:34 AM »
If you write $100 it is then worth stealing.

We always write 'used clothing' or some such thing. With perfume I would write 'vitamin medicine' or something. (In case they x-ray it and see a bottle) We send half litre bottles of Estonian liqueur to Russia this way, always with a $ value of less than 10, tagged as 'gift' and the customs label and the address written in Russian.

Anything can be stolen by Russian post ladies. What if it didn't reach addressee? Au post is very good at compensating. Of value of the parcel is $0, you will get $0 compensation.

Offline Manny

« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2008, 01:58:05 AM »
Would you steal something tagged as $100 or $2 if you were a corrupt postal worker?

Written in Russian only means 'local sending something home, knows it may be stolen, will not be of value'

USPS flashy packaging with stars & stripes everywhere (Or other country eqivilent) and $100 tagged value just shouts 'Steal me - I am valuable.'

I only say what works for us, we have 100% success rate now with the method I mentioned.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2008, 05:16:57 AM »
Would you steal something tagged as $100 or $2 if you were a corrupt postal worker?

I didn't have many problems with the parcels, but if I put something into envelope - it is a goner. I don't' have any problems with the post office at my mother's town, before I left I payed a visit there and gave to the lady box of chocolate, she still looks after my mom well.

Offline Cestmoi

« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2008, 07:57:21 AM »
We always write 'used clothing' or some such thing. With perfume I would write 'vitamin medicine' or something. (In case they x-ray it and see a bottle)

it's is prohibited to transport medicines through the border. IMHO - safer not to use such words as "medicine", "agricultural products", "jewelry",... use your own common sense to continue such list.

Wild Orchid - does the postal service company in your country returns the money for the package stolen at the FSU territory? I thought once the package crossed the border - it's the responsibility of local FSU company. No? i may be wrong though

and then- if the value of the package is 500, and you write in the declaration 50 - when you will be compensated 50, will it really make you feel much better about lost package valued 500?

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2008, 08:29:33 PM »

OK, just one more question: how do you pay import tax on items sent from the states?

I would hate to send a $75 bottle of perfume only to have the recipient have to pay an import duty.

Where are you intending to send the perfume to, lcdrp - to Russia or to Ukraine?

Since October 1 (or was it Novembr 1?), 2007, Russian citizens do not have to pay custom taxes for an item per month, received from abroad, if its declared value doesn't exceed 10.000 roubles (approx.420 USD).

Don't know about Ukrainian postal regulations, though...  :-\
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline cdrp

« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2008, 09:12:45 PM »

OK, just one more question: how do you pay import tax on items sent from the states?

I would hate to send a $75 bottle of perfume only to have the recipient have to pay an import duty.

Where are you intending to send the perfume to, lcdrp - to Russia or to Ukraine?

Since October 1 (or was it Novembr 1?), 2007, Russian citizens do not have to pay custom taxes for an item per month, received from abroad, if its declared value doesn't exceed 10.000 roubles (approx.420 USD).

Don't know about Ukrainian postal regulations, though...  :-\

At this point I have no immediate plans to send any gifts.  Perhaps in a month that will change.  I am corresponding with women in both Ukraine, and Russia.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2008, 07:51:46 AM »
Hi Markje

Just a quick note to wish you well for tommorow  ;D

I hope that the both of you have a great time in your country  :party0011:

Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Boris

« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2008, 06:21:42 AM »
Hey Mark. What was Elena's level of English when you first started talking? And now?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2008, 07:27:46 AM »
But you gotta feel sorry for those men, hoping to snag a young RW...

It made for interesting reading. Hey Mark. What was Elena's level of English when you first started talking? And now?

When I first started writing, it was russian only. SMS's were also sent to me in Russian language, I hooked up my telephone to my computer with USB cable and used the google-translate to send my answers back in Russian too.

When I first started talking to her in real life, she knew a few words she remembered from highschool (1 year class only). The dictionary was used almost every minute to look up basic words.

When I went back 2 months later, she spoke reasonable English (pronounciation wise + structures of sentances) but had a limited vocabulary. Dictionary maybe 2-5x every day.

Now her english is pretty good (4 months), I don't use a dictionary anymore but analogies and different words with the same meaning.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2014, 02:57:15 PM »
For the newbies that have joined in the past 6 years.

This one is my trip report, as one can see, I got off to a good (but not perfect) first start of our relationship.

The end motto is: If things do not turn out exactly how you wanted it, do not immediatly run for the hills but try and figure out what went wrong and how you can fix it. (But only if you already are well beyond the penpals point).

Now 6 years later, I am married to my Lena and we have a 3-year-old son :)
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Registration