The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: American truck On FSU tour  (Read 10955 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
American truck On FSU tour
« on: April 15, 2008, 01:25:40 PM »
As some of you may know, we take a few cars up to Estonia now and again. One such drive is documented here that we did last year.

So a while ago we imported a Dodge Ram from the US to the UK. A guy in Estonia wanted it, so last week Mrs Manny and I set off for Estonia in it. So after covering 252000 miles in the US, this truck did a few thousand miles across the Atlantic, (OK on a boat, it cheated) and last week another couple of thousand miles into the FSU. Hoorah for American trucks.  :gousa:

So I only got a couple of shots of any note but I thought they were fun so they are below.

This is in Suwalki in Northern Poland, just before the outer border of the FSU.

In case your FSU geography is a bit faint, that is where the red circle is on this map.

This one is outside the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Tallinn Estonia.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Jared2151

Re: American truck On FSU tour
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 07:37:47 AM »
Just out of curiosity, how do the locals react to such a vehicle ?

Is there an equivalent vehicle that they have ?

Offline Manny

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 08:03:53 AM »
Well the guy who is buying it has a smaller Dodge pickup already, there are quite a few Navigators and other big 4x4's out there.

There are a few specific US car dealers that have sprang up, some importing directly or via Finland. So it is not so unusual now really.

I am planning to take a Mustang up there maybe at the end of the month if we get a hot potential buyer or two on it.

American, Japanese and German cars are starting to dominate the roads there now. Very seldom do you see a Lada anymore.

It was a rarer sight going through rural Poland and East Germany really, people were craning their necks and nudging each other and pointing at it there. The cops stopped me near Warsaw just to have a nosey I think, he was more interested in looking inside than at the documents.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 09:23:10 AM »

I am planning to take a Mustang up there maybe at the end of the month if we get a hot potential buyer or two on it.

I saw two brand new souped up Mustangs in Chernivsti a couple of weeks ago, I thought about you and nearly took a picture, then I came to my senses and decided it wasn't really wise  ;D
Слава Україні

Offline Paul

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »
Cool Manny. When I was in Romania, I spoke (fiancee translated) with a guy who was going to another country near by to buy a used Dodge truck... he added that Dodge has a factory somewhere in eastern Europe.

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 06:04:11 AM »
I just took a Mustang up there via the same route recently. So I decided to get the same shot....

Yup I got busted by the German cops again!  >:(

Damn plain cars!

For Google: HGA628 is a covert German Police car in Hanover.  :D

I didn't have a Lithuanian/Latvian border shot in my collection, so now I have.

I got busted again in Poland for overtaking over a solid white line (as everyone does in Poland) and that cost me a £20 bribe. (My wife convinced him £20 was worth 50 Euros.)  :chuckle:

Good ol' yank cars!  :gousa:

Offline BBQ

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 07:23:42 AM »
I saw an old Dodge Dynasty in south west Russia a few years back.  I had to be a late 70s or early 80s model.  I didn't notice it until my girl said something.
Married 5 Jul 08

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 07:52:20 AM »
Hello Manny:

I have a rather large commission coming in the next 60 days ... I read about your cars to russia site and the process was informative.  Let me know by PM if you like what the paperwork requirements are and a list of preferred vehicles and I will keep my eyes open.

Our local Auto wholesaler is selling big US trucks and vehicles for starters $5K BELOW average Book value as people are dumping them for hypermilers.

He told me that he has never seen a situation like this where people are taking $5K+ losses on excellent safe big US vehicles and buying little hypermiler Hybrid Toyotas/Hondas etc., for a $5K+ premium over list.

Would be fun to document a trip report from New Hampshire USA as a "hitchhiker" to UK and FSU from the vehicles "eye view".

Cheers,

Cufflinks

Offline blucatz

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 11:26:44 AM »
As some of you may know, we take a few cars up to Estonia now and again. One such drive is documented here that we did last year.

So a while ago we imported a Dodge Ram from the US to the UK. A guy in Estonia wanted it, so last week Mrs Manny and I set off for Estonia in it. So after covering 252000 miles in the US, this truck did a few thousand miles across the Atlantic, (OK on a boat, it cheated) and last week another couple of thousand miles into the FSU. Hoorah for American trucks.  :gousa:

So I only got a couple of shots of any note but I thought they were fun so they are below.

This is in Suwalki in Northern Poland, just before the outer border of the FSU.

(Attachment Link)

In case your FSU geography is a bit faint, that is where the red circle is on this map.

(Attachment Link)

This one is outside the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Tallinn Estonia.

(Attachment Link)
Cmon Manny, you couldn't get the man a Ram with a Hemi?
Life may knock you down, but it takes a real man to get up, shove it out of the way and move on!

Offline Manny

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 11:42:44 AM »
The Ram was a diesel, people go crazy for diesel in Europe. We dont have the laughably cheap fuel that you guys have.  :)

Offline blucatz

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 11:44:31 AM »
The Ram was a diesel, people go crazy for diesel in Europe. We dont have the laughably cheap fuel that you guys have.  :)
I figured it was a diesel with the miles on it.  Looks exactly like the 99 Ram I had with the V-10, one of 6 Ram's I have owned.
Life may knock you down, but it takes a real man to get up, shove it out of the way and move on!

Offline Catman

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 08:48:57 PM »
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram diesel 4X4 with 6 speed standard. That truck is like a tractor when it comes to pulling.

Offline blucatz

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 11:08:42 PM »
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram diesel 4X4 with 6 speed standard. That truck is like a tractor when it comes to pulling.
Right now I have a 2005 SRT10 Ram, but it sits mostly because of gas prices.  I just drive the Avenger around, 31mpg is better than 8-10mpg.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 02:51:27 PM »
Why is it called a truck?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 03:03:30 PM »
That thing went BBRRMMM BRRRRMMMM BBBRRRMMM.

I think they make them by stealing tractor engines and wrapping metal round them!

The Mustang seems a little more civilised.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »
Why is it called a truck?

The Dodge Ram that Manny was delivering to Estonia is more properly called a pickup truck or pickup or just truck, although the truck drivers who actually drive the true large trucks like dump trucks or logging trucks tend to laugh or at least smile when they hear a pickup referred to as a 'truck'.  I made the mistake of referring to a F-150 I once owned as a truck when speaking to a dump truck driver, he immediately corrected me and stated the it was a pickup, not a truck.  Semantics, I guess. 

A pickup truck in North America is a light duty truck (under about 25000 pounds GVW depending on the jurisdiction)
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline bobjf

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 04:20:26 PM »
we just call them ute's in oz

exported to usa from oz,these utes are on steriods lol 5.7 v8 ,6 speed,half the size of the average usa ute
it takes two willing givers to make two happy receivers
result happy couple most of the time lol

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 06:30:26 PM »
COM

Wild Orchid:

With the price of gas I would think everyone in Oz would be driving mopeds and subcompacts.

What's the price of gas in Australia?  In BC, Canada I'm currently paying $1.35/litre for unleaded regular and it takes about $50 to fill my subcompact's gas tank.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 06:37:59 PM »
COM

Wild Orchid:

With the price of gas I would think everyone in Oz would be driving mopeds and subcompacts.

What's the price of gas in Australia?  In BC, Canada I'm currently paying $1.35/litre for unleaded regular and it takes about $50 to fill my subcompact's gas tank.
I use petrol, my husband has to spend on diesel which is few cents dearer. Before my vacation petrol was $2.05 per liter, now $1.72. Diesel is above $1.8. My tank cost me $48, for my husband $130, he's got 2 of them.  many my coworkers ride push bikes to work, recently they changed one of the toilets into a shower, but I'm still waiting for my tire to be changed. How to make a man do something for you? Any clues?...  ???

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 06:57:47 PM »
COM

Wild Orchid:

I use petrol, my husband has to spend on diesel which is few cents dearer. Before my vacation petrol was $2.05 per liter, now $1.72. Diesel is above $1.8. My tank cost me $48, for my husband $130, he's got 2 of them.  many my coworkers ride push bikes to work, recently they changed one of the toilets into a shower, but I'm still waiting for my tire to be changed. How to make a man do something for you? Any clues?...  ???

Wild Orchid:

Aren't you women always saying men are dogs, well Pavlovian behavioural science has proven dogs respond to certain stimuli, I'm sure you know what stimuli your husband responds best to.  Make sure he understands he gets his reward when the work you want done is completed.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »

Wild Orchid:

Aren't you women always saying men are dogs, well Pavlovian behavioural science has proven dogs respond to certain stimuli, I'm sure you know what stimuli your husband responds best to.  Make sure he understands he gets his reward when the work you want done is completed.

there is one, but it is too much to ask of me  ;D

Offline blucatz

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 08:23:23 PM »
we just call them ute's in oz

exported to usa from oz,these utes are on steriods lol 5.7 v8 ,6 speed,half the size of the average usa ute

Is that the new El Camino chevy's coming out with?  Looks darn close to it if its not.

Offline bobjf

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 03:19:04 AM »
blue
have no idea what there going to call it over there,it was stated here it was being exported as a light sports truck
in oz there called comodore utes & come in lots of variations but are 1 of the quickest factory items on this planet,easily pull low 12's stock std even with a clueless driver.
pontiac gto is realy a monaro also built by holden in oz.

fuel in sydney is averaging around $1.45 a ltr,i run a v8 statesman that can scoff fuel real quick if ya don't leave the loud peddle alone  >:(
it takes two willing givers to make two happy receivers
result happy couple most of the time lol

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 04:53:45 AM »

Wild Orchid:

Wild Orchid:

If it makes him happy isn't that all that matters?

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 05:26:20 PM »

Wild Orchid:

Wild Orchid:

If it makes him happy isn't that all that matters?
No, if it makes me very unhappy