The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Canuck Corner  (Read 291559 times)

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: The Canuck Corner
« Reply #3775 on: October 10, 2016, 04:08:19 AM »
Happy thanks giving.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline froid

« Reply #3776 on: October 13, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »
I spent a Thanksgiving in Moscow with Mila once.  I was on the hunt to get some sort of turkey that weekend because of it and I had to resort to an appetizer at a "English Pub" downtown to get some turkey with a mushroom sauce.  Was actually pretty good in the end. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #3777 on: December 09, 2016, 01:29:32 PM »
  Any Canucks heading to Cuba this winter for a vacation?

I'm going Jahova this month, been so nice around the house without all that xmas bullshit decor. May take the family out for a taco, maybe two,  but that's it!
 Was going to get the Human Heater a round of aluminum rims for her winter tires,  but she declined,  so tacos it is.

Now let's hear from all of you on your xmas plans. We all know Leslied last year hit it outta the park with his response to my gift giving last year so everyone post away!

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3778 on: December 09, 2016, 02:42:17 PM »
Wife loves Christmas, but I did get her to take it back a notch this year :)
That said, she went up a level in decorating LOL.

We did Cuba last spring and Florida this Fall.
She made on trip home last year, I didn't do that trip.
Not sure where we are headed next.
She wants to do Jamaica Man :)
Likely late March, early April.

Offline froid

« Reply #3779 on: January 03, 2017, 09:22:19 AM »
The family is in Russia visiting all the family for 3 weeks.  The kid turns 18 shortly so we took this opportunity to get him in and out without having to worry about paperwork to keep him out of the Russian army.  I am holding the fort at home since I didn't want to spend 2 weeks in Russia in the winter in tiny apartments. 

I will miss my drinking buddies in Penza though.  haha. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3780 on: February 11, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »
Really?

Schizophrenic Canadian who beheaded bus passenger walks free, won’t be monitored

https://www.rt.com/news/377065-canada-murderer-schizophrenic-freed/
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3781 on: February 11, 2017, 10:22:14 PM »
Really?

Schizophrenic Canadian who beheaded bus passenger walks free, won’t be monitored

I'm feeling more and more glad I left Canada. This is absolutely disgusting. Vince Li, AKA Will Baker, now has more freedom than someone with a conviction for possession of small amounts of marijuana.

Socially, Canada has gotten to the point where the forest can't be seen from the trees.

I'm sickened by this decision.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #3782 on: March 09, 2017, 09:45:43 PM »

I'm feeling more and more glad I left Canada.

Canada is better off having its supporters remain while the complainers go look for another country that they think is better. It rarely turns successful.

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3783 on: March 10, 2017, 04:24:08 AM »

I'm feeling more and more glad I left Canada.

Canada is better off having its supporters remain while the complainers go look for another country that they think is better. It rarely turns successful.

I'm not complaining Don. I just don't think people who randomly cut off strangers heads should get a free pass on grounds of mental illness.

My relocation decision has nothing to do with my feelings about Canada, by the way.

Nor am I too terribly concerned how it's worked for others.

Good day!

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #3784 on: September 03, 2017, 06:34:24 PM »
  I told Ed years ago to get into coupling up gay and lesbians, good niche market.
 My only hope is that the ones landing on  Canadian soil are atheist, it's the best path for Canada.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/canada-lgbt-gay-asylum-russia-chechnya-homophobia-chrystia-freeland-ramzan-kadyrov-a7926971.html

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3785 on: September 03, 2017, 08:07:43 PM »
Really?

I'm feeling more and more glad I left Canada. This is absolutely disgusting. Vince Li, AKA Will Baker, now has more freedom than someone with a conviction for possession of small amounts of marijuana.

Socially, Canada has gotten to the point where the forest can't be seen from the trees.

I'm sickened by this decision.

You sound like a Trump supporter here.
       :ROFL:         :ROFL:        :ROFL:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3786 on: April 24, 2018, 04:49:02 AM »
My condolences to those who died yesterday in Toronto.

My guess the driver who has an Armenian name wanted to commit suicide by police officer has some mental issues.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #3787 on: April 24, 2018, 06:11:24 PM »
Seems this guy spent 17 days of army training during 2017 here in Canada before deciding to drive his rented van down Yonge Street killing people!  Go figure.  Totally sad in every way.  Yes his background was Armenian according to local news.  So far he has been charged with 10 Murders and 14 Attempted Murders with likely at least 1 more charge to come.

Offline Contrarian

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #3789 on: August 14, 2018, 08:56:50 PM »
  Canada's history on its native people is nothing to be proud of. Advances are being made, and things would of been better I'm sure if the British weren't so racist.
Their hopeless management of its colonies continues to leave its blood drenched scars through the world.

In keeping with British country management,  the new head in Saudi Arabia got his flogging whips in a knot over a Tweet from one of our MP's with regards to the Saudi imprisonment and disregard of human rights.
 So he decided to cut all diplomatic ties and do no further business with ole Canada. Uni students being sent home, medical patients told to return and on it goes.
 I'm glad this has been handed to PM Trudeau, it's the best exit to distance ourselves from the Kingdom. Now if they put an end to our LAV's it would finish things nicely. But of course the Kingdom needs to use them in its military.

They've even started a propaganda campaign.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4386816/saudi-arabia-fake-news-canada/

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #3790 on: August 14, 2018, 10:26:39 PM »
  Canada's history on its native people is nothing to be proud of. Advances are being made, and things would of been better I'm sure if the British weren't so racist.
Their hopeless management of its colonies continues to leave its blood drenched scars through the world.

In keeping with British country management,  the new head in Saudi Arabia got his flogging whips in a knot over a Tweet from one of our MP's with regards to the Saudi imprisonment and disregard of human rights.
 So he decided to cut all diplomatic ties and do no further business with ole Canada. Uni students being sent home, medical patients told to return and on it goes.
 I'm glad this has been handed to PM Trudeau, it's the best exit to distance ourselves from the Kingdom. Now if they put an end to our LAV's it would finish things nicely. But of course the Kingdom needs to use them in its military.

They've even started a propaganda campaign.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4386816/saudi-arabia-fake-news-canada/

What a surprise, Treaudeau is out of his league.

The Saudis have a good point about the lack of freedom of speech in Canada due to the PC culture.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #3791 on: August 14, 2018, 11:33:47 PM »
Yeah it's pretty shitty when a country like Saudi Arabia only wants your armoured vehicles. We'll leave the special relationship to the United States and Saudi Arabia.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3792 on: August 15, 2018, 01:06:56 AM »
In Vancouver there is a so-called Biennale. One artist has created a mosque, made of chain link fencing.

One critic said it was a nice Guantanamo Bay edifice. Others comments have been less supportive.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #3793 on: September 06, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
WOW 200,000 VIEWS!

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #3794 on: October 17, 2018, 06:46:11 PM »
Curious to know thoughts about the country's legalisation of pot, Will Canadians benefit from this?
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3795 on: October 18, 2018, 07:26:27 AM »
Curious to know thoughts about the country's legalisation of pot, Will Canadians benefit from this?

I am sure that some Canadians will benefit, eh?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #3796 on: November 03, 2018, 09:05:04 PM »

Taxation is one. Driving the criminal element out of the herb business is another. Police had better things to do with our tax dollars than going after a narcotic less harmful than alcohol or tobacco.
 The new industry has he interest of big international companies looking to get into flavoured colas and beer for example. My province doefnt allow me to grow my own, but that can change. Each Canuck is allowed to carry 30g . The revenue is expected to be billions for the government.

Driving into the USA last week they had a huge road sign reminding us that weed isnt allowed in ND..

Offline froid

« Reply #3797 on: November 29, 2018, 06:30:20 AM »
I had the new and interesting experience of going outside to have a puff while at a work Christmas party.  That was a novel experience and amused me to no end.  The only reason I did it was because I could even.  The American guy on my team up for the party was hilarious to watch his reaction and comments too. 

So yes...some benefit if you count my amusement.  :) 

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #3798 on: January 30, 2019, 12:23:39 PM »
Does Canada have surplus of open employment to support the influx of immigrants?

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3799 on: November 12, 2019, 03:46:32 PM »
Snow flakes win again.
Canadian sports Icon was fired yesterday for this rant.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=19&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjDgsf53uXlAhXsUd8KHTrKAokQwqsBMBJ6BAgKEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fglobalnews.ca%2Fvideo%2F6155399%2Fdon-cherry-out-at-hockey-night-in-canada-following-controversial-poppy-comments&usg=AOvVaw1h5Bzy3uyqOpmCA9wUbJyY

He refused to apologize but did say this.

speaking to Newstalk 1010’s Barb DiGiulio, Cherry referred to his comments as “one little slip,” and referenced “all the guys that have gone” in the entertainment business.
“It is the most toughest business in the world,” he said. “You make one little slip and you’re gone. After 38 years, which is kind of tough to do, but you got to be tough in this business. You can’t whine about it. You’re gone, you’re gone.”
Cherry attempted to clarify his remarks in interviews Monday, saying that he did not single out visible minorities. His comments have widely been interpreted as singling out new immigrants. He specifically mentioned the cities of Toronto and Mississauga, Ont., both of which have visible minority populations of over 50 per cent, and contrasted them to smaller towns, which are predominantly white.
"I did not say minorities, I did not say immigrants. If you watch 'Coach's Corner,' I did not say that. I said 'everybody.' And I said 'you people,’” he told The Canadian Press.
Elaborating on Newstalk 1010, he said his comments were meant to refer to “everyone.”
“You make one little comment like ‘you people’ and you know how it picks up,” he said. “It could have been anybody. It could have been the Irish, it could have been Scots, it could have been English.”
Cherry stands by his remarks. “That’s the way I feel and I’m not changing it and I don’t regret a thing,” he said on Newstalk 1010.
“I still feel that everybody in this country that likes our way of life -- these beautiful people gave their lives in their 20s and in their teens for our way of life -- they should wear a poppy. If that’s offensive, then there’s nothing I can do about it.”

Registration