The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Canuck Corner  (Read 291544 times)

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
Re: The Canuck Corner
« Reply #3750 on: May 10, 2016, 06:01:50 AM »
Manny they didn't offer accept help from the US or other countries as well.
One issues is how many planes and helicopters can fly in the same area
with the smoke issues at the same time.

The fact the Canada -  Russia have a strained relationship at the moment
I am sure doesn't help.

You meant to write "accept".

I see Russia's offer of assistance as very cynical.  They are jabbing Canada in the eye with that offer.

As Av stated just look at what Putin actually did when the Kursk sank.  He went on vacation.  He did not seem to care about the men who perished.  He only began to care when it was forced on him.

Now the foot is on the shoe and Russia offers assistance?  Very cynical.  Although clearly Canada should ask for assistance from their neighbor, good friend and ally -- the USA.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3751 on: May 10, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »
Manny they didn't offer accept help from the US or other countries as well.
One issues is how many planes and helicopters can fly in the same area
with the smoke issues at the same time.

The fact the Canada -  Russia have a strained relationship at the moment
I am sure doesn't help.

You meant to write "accept".

I see Russia's offer of assistance as very cynical.  They are jabbing Canada in the eye with that offer.

As Av stated just look at what Putin actually did when the Kursk sank.  He went on vacation.  He did not seem to care about the men who perished.  He only began to care when it was forced on him.

Now the foot is on the shoe and Russia offers assistance?  Very cynical.  Although clearly Canada should ask for assistance from their neighbor, good friend and ally -- the USA.

Yes thanks for the correction.

People have no idea how big this fire is and the conditions it was like the first few days of it.
Conditions are a little better now, but the only thing that will put this out is mother nature.
All anyone can do at this point is damage control.
It has jumped rivers, big rivers, highways. It is so big it creates its own weather systems.
To many people or equipment, only causes other issues.
The amount of help offered is impressive and appreciated.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3752 on: May 11, 2016, 05:26:14 AM »
This stuff is hilarious and worrying in equal proportions. We're looking at an offer from Russia to help out in a situation where people, property and wildlife is being destroyed at an alarming rate........yet the resident anti russian lot find excuses. It may well be that discussions have been held by officials and the offer was politely declined but some of the stuff on here is sad.

The Kursk....I thought we were discussing the fires in Canada? I don't necessarily agree with the way the Kirsk was handled but its two entirely different propositions for starters. For those too slow to work out what I'm suggesting - Military secrets vs humanitarian crisis. It's a sad fact of life but sometimes countries see the sacrifice of a few to be acceptable in maintaining military secrets. I'd bet something similar's happened that the US have had to conceal but we've not heard about it. Plus the US would love to get up close to cold war military hardware under the guise of helping.

So yes that's right, I'm sure Putin is just trying to hurt Canada by offering assistance! It's mentalities like this that builds walls rather than relationships.....see what I did there?

:'(

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3753 on: May 11, 2016, 05:52:48 AM »
The Kursk incident was interesting because it became a tipping point between an old paradigm and a new one.

We don't know the degree to which Putin's hands were tied by the military at the time,  bearing in mind his newness to his role, but we can see that Putin's preferred style is for openness to the greatest degree possible and that since then the operations of the Russian state have become more open.

Can one imagine, for example, the degree of openness from the USA as Russia demonstrated after the mh 17 incident. Likewise with the Russian operation in Syria. Even in terms of the manner in which,  certainly prescripted, conversations take place between Putin and senior state and business figures on Russian TV about important issues.

From where I sit the refusal to get Russian aid and expertise with their huge firefighters is stupid and is, itself, a cynical act given that by refusing aid billions of dollars of damage is being done to people, businesses, wildlife and both the natural and built environment. The reason for the refusal - it would seem -  is political and not practical.

Cynicism is the belief that people act out of self interest. The Russian offer is hard to see as being motivated by self interest. The rejection of that assistance is clearly a matter of self interest to those in senior government posts.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3754 on: May 12, 2016, 07:31:11 PM »
In the for what it is worth department I think it was four years ago American and Russian jumpers exchanged teams each trying to learn from the others expertise and skills. As I recall the American's were better technical fire fighters and the Russians more old school.

Each group was impressed with the others skills and determination. But in the end it was boots on the ground that did the work on either side.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online AvHdB

« Reply #3755 on: May 13, 2016, 11:29:24 PM »
I have posted on this thread http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=11574.15;last_msg=182649 regarding Operation Ghost story and its Canadian connection.

Worth a read for those who are interested in Russian < > Canadian things.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #3756 on: May 14, 2016, 10:25:32 AM »
I read this with a perma  grin. If Canada needed foreign help it first enlists the Americans, it only makes sense from any angle you wish to take. Second not all of Canada is on fire, it's a small dot on our countries map.  If one area of the country needs outside help it usually can come from other provinces or territories.
Having more firefighters doesn't mean the fire gets put out quicker, after all once the crowns are burning the ability to hose it down is futile.  Water bombers are the best defence but even then it's not enough once the spruce sap gets burning.

Currently there are 45 fires burning in Manitoba, some will be left to burn themselves out and others will be fought. Usually the fires are double so we're doing pretty good in MB. 
One peticular fire of interest for me is burning about 6000 hectares on the Ontario Manitoba border.  They've just begun to be able to get men on the ground as before it wasn't possible.

With the Alberta fire it doesn't help when you clad houses in plastic. It's a tragic situation but sending Russian bombers in wouldn't be needed cause Canada has plenty, besides I highly doubt those bombers would meet aviation maintenance levels to fly in our air space.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #3757 on: May 14, 2016, 10:39:35 AM »
TORONTO - Canada will accept between 35,000 and 50,000 Syrian refugees by the end of 2016, Immigration Minister John McCallum says.

McCallum huddled up with provincial ministers and community organizations in Toronto Thursday to talk about planning to settle refugees in the city. The Liberal government has promised to bring in 10,000 people by Dec. 31, and another 15,000 by the end of February.

Between the government sponsored 25,000 and another 10,000 privately sponsored refugees, Canada will be home to at least 35,000 Syrians by the end of 2016, McCallum said.

“I’m confident in the course of 2016, even now as we speak, there will be more privately sponsored refugees coming forward,” McCallum said, adding that those figures could go as high as 50,000.

Canada’s security agencies have approved of the government plan and are taking a hard line when it comes to any refugee applicants that raise safety concerns, he said. And all security and medical exams are conducted well in advance of refugees arriving in Canada.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/03/up-to-50000-syrian-refugees-could-be-in-canada-by-end-of-2016

:eeekk:

Manny if you want to use this info for you blogs you may. With the exception of the native people in Canada we Canadians are all from somewhere else if you trace your family roots. The mindset here isn't that of a European. Refugees, asylum seekers can and do a good job of immigrating into our society. We don't view it as a total erosion of our culture because for generations we've been a mixed bag of cultures and colour.
 Unlike in Europe where the influx of others isn't viewed with the laid back acceptance we have here. The Syrians have all arrived and I'm sure they become successful Canucks in due time.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #3758 on: May 14, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
That seems a very plausible explanation as to why Canadians think differently in regard to immigration, Don. And one I hadn't given much thought to. I expect the same can be said of the US.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #3759 on: May 15, 2016, 08:51:14 AM »
As to blending in some of the Syrian Refugees have in fact gathered and donated funds to support those displaced by the forest fire in Fort McMurry, Alberta.  So even those newly arrived on our shores here are doing their part towards their fellow Canadians.

Also regarding Canadians and Americans having come here from someplace else.  Our native peoples were in fact the first settlers to arrive over the then land bridge from the so-called FSU!  Go figure eh! 

Offline makarevich

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3760 on: June 08, 2016, 11:17:26 PM »
A very close friend works in immigration here in Canada and it's been confirmed (unofficially) that Canadians only take in non-muslim Syrian refugees and only families (no single males of military age). So in terms of immigrants I think we'e pretty safe here.

Offline makarevich

« Reply #3761 on: June 08, 2016, 11:21:30 PM »
Btw did everyone know that 5% of the Canadian population is originally from Ukraine? Pretty cool stat that I was not aware of

Offline Jerash

The Canuck Corner
« Reply #3762 on: June 10, 2016, 07:51:43 PM »
Hey Makarevich - please quite spreading nonsense and saying its "confirmed". Go down, to any of the reception centres where Syrians are being received or into toe communities where they are settling. Clearly, Canada does not have a "non-Muslim Syrian refugees" only policy. And that's CONFIRMED! (And as it should be)

Online AvHdB

« Reply #3763 on: June 11, 2016, 07:28:38 AM »
Makareveich, Welcome to RUA.

Jerash if you want to start a Canuck squable please continue. Curious if it will be anymore amusing than some Limey ones.  :coffeeread:

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3764 on: June 12, 2016, 01:11:48 PM »
Btw did everyone know that 5% of the Canadian population is originally from Ukraine? Pretty cool stat that I was not aware of

Its closer to 3%, but yes its cool.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline MBS01

« Reply #3765 on: June 13, 2016, 09:39:55 AM »

Whatever the number is be it 3% or even 5% it is the largest population of Ukrainians outside of Ukraine in the world!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #3766 on: June 13, 2016, 09:52:50 AM »

Whatever the number is be it 3% or even 5% it is the largest population of Ukrainians outside of Ukraine in the world!

I suggest that you are wrong....
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline makarevich

« Reply #3767 on: June 15, 2016, 10:11:11 AM »
Hey Makarevich - please quite spreading nonsense and saying its "confirmed". Go down, to any of the reception centres where Syrians are being received or into toe communities where they are settling. Clearly, Canada does not have a "non-Muslim Syrian refugees" only policy. And that's CONFIRMED! (And as it should be)

thank you for the insights.. I'm sure you've spent many hours in these receptions centres asking people what their religious beliefs are ....

Also someone very close to me teaches immigrants French here in Montreal and confirmed the same thing.. She hasn't seen any single males of military age in her school, it's all either Christians (90%) or complete families that come here.

Btw no need to send me PMs... that's just weird

Offline makarevich

« Reply #3768 on: June 15, 2016, 10:19:49 AM »

i think the person's actually right... Also it's 3.5% to be percise.. Do you know how many Ukranians live in Alberta? It's a huge population! We have many streets even here in Quebec named after Ukranians like Shevchenko. It's a very old community, it's not recent immigrants. Many of them only speak English..

Additional stats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Canadians

Offline Jerash

« Reply #3769 on: June 15, 2016, 10:35:57 AM »

thank you for the insights.. I'm sure you've spent many hours in these receptions centres asking people what their religious beliefs are ....

Also someone very close to me teaches immigrants French here in Montreal and confirmed the same thing.. She hasn't seen any single males of military age in her school, it's all either Christians (90%) or complete families that come here.

Btw no need to send me PMs... that's just weird

Hi there - I didn't say anything about military aged males. I was very specifically referring to your misinformed statement that Canada is not resettling Muslim Syrians. That is categorically false, although you said it was confirmed.

Anyway, if you don't spread lies and misinformation, there would be no need for others to correct you.

Also, be careful before making assumptions about what I know and don't know. Thanks!

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
« Reply #3770 on: June 15, 2016, 10:55:59 AM »

i think the person's actually right...

He is always right. Get used to that.  :laugh:
The largest population of Ukrainians outside of Ukraine lives... in Russia.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #3771 on: June 15, 2016, 11:09:45 AM »

i think the person's actually right... Also it's 3.5% to be percise.. Do you know how many Ukranians live in Alberta? It's a huge population! We have many streets even here in Quebec named after Ukranians like Shevchenko. It's a very old community, it's not recent immigrants. Many of them only speak English..

Additional stats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Canadians

From your own link...

Quote..
Canada the world's third-largest Ukrainian population behind Ukraine itself and Russia.
Unquote..

Maybe you should think again...
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #3772 on: June 15, 2016, 11:10:59 AM »

i think the person's actually right...

He is always right. Get used to that.  :laugh:
The largest population of Ukrainians outside of Ukraine lives... in Russia.

tiphat

Offline MBS01

« Reply #3773 on: October 09, 2016, 04:02:17 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving Weekend everyone here.
On this date back 14 years ago Lora and I first met in Kiev, Ukraine.  Then 13 years ago after our own wedding 2 weeks previously I returned home and was headed to Ottawa for a friend's daughter's wedding.  Very busy times back then.  Semi-quieter today as there are just the two of us here for the weekend.

Again Happy Thanksgiving to one and all in Canada.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #3774 on: October 09, 2016, 05:48:08 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving Weekend everyone here.
On this date back 14 years ago Lora and I first met in Kiev, Ukraine.  Then 13 years ago after our own wedding 2 weeks previously I returned home and was headed to Ottawa for a friend's daughter's wedding.  Very busy times back then.  Semi-quieter today as there are just the two of us here for the weekend.

Again Happy Thanksgiving to one and all in Canada.

tiphat   :thumbsup: